Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216054 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #700 on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
Are they back in Bear Track?

BearTracks Studios has been closed for at least a decade (whether it's been "torn down" I have no idea).  They're recording the same place where they wrote it (as JP said in the video).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #701 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
And also :

https://twitter.com/i/status/1019339256412758016

I know he’s just warming up in the video, but if it’s any indication of what the drum parts will sound like on the record, this might be Mike’s most groove oriented album performance since he joined the band.

On top of that, listening to the video on my studio monitors, the snare sounds like it could be promising!

But doesn't that just mean that it sounds good in the studio and that's it? Can't it be later "ruined" during the mixing stage? I'm legitimately asking this, I actually have no idea how all of this drum sound stuff works  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #702 on: July 18, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
But doesn't that just mean that it sounds good in the studio and that's it? Can't it be later "ruined" during the mixing stage? I'm legitimately asking this, I actually have no idea how all of this drum sound stuff works  :lol

Yes. Just because a snare drum sounds good in a room does not mean it will sound good on a recording. SO many things can be done to snare drum once recorded that could drastically alter or even complete replace the natural sound of the drum. Supplementing with samples, EQ, compression, etc... can totally change the sound of the snare we will eventually hear on the album.

That said, I think it's still encouraging to hear a good, solid, normal snare sound since they toyed with the de-tuned sound on DT12.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #703 on: July 18, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
You know what would be cool? For DT to release a full drum track of a song as a preview.

That would be awesome.

They should release a stem a week leading up to the release of the first single...  Drums, then bass, vocals, keys, and finally guitar.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #704 on: July 18, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

BearTracks Studios has been closed for at least a decade (whether it's been "torn down" I have no idea).  They're recording the same place where they wrote it (as JP said in the video).

Way NOT torn down.  Could have been yours for a couple million.  Fortunately this listing still has pictures up.  I can almost picture James LaBrie shooting hoops.

https://www.landsofamerica.com/property/926-Haverstraw-Road-Suffern-New-York-10901/1680945

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #705 on: July 18, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

Way NOT torn down.  Could have been yours for a couple million.  Fortunately this listing still has pictures up.  I can almost picture James LaBrie shooting hoops.

https://www.landsofamerica.com/property/926-Haverstraw-Road-Suffern-New-York-10901/1680945

Only 2.6 million?!?!?!?!
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline pg1067

« Reply #706 on: July 18, 2018, 05:26:20 PM »

Interesting that it was listed as residential property, with no mention of its life as a recording studio.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #707 on: July 19, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »
I’m no audio engineer but it doesn’t look like the most acoustic friendly place to record drums with those big windows right behind him. but maybe they’ll make it work and it’ll sound better than the previous Mangini-era drum sounds.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #708 on: July 19, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSzH7MoUSY

The drums are sounding pretty great so far!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: July 19, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »
So whatever the hell MM was playing sounded fantastic.

And was the rest of it a commercial for Kingsford? Will the next installment have them all drinking Pepsis?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #710 on: July 19, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
So whatever the hell MM was playing sounded fantastic.

:iagree: 

Although JP has to know that ANY snippet of music is going to be dissected to the microscopic level by the fans. There will be the 90% that ‘love it’ and the 10% that already know the album sucks because the keyboards sounded like the tone they used in ‘Solitary Shell’.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #711 on: July 19, 2018, 06:53:44 PM »
I like how MM was not playing live in the vid. Hahaha

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: July 19, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
That sounded great!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #713 on: July 19, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »
So, all the guys in Dream Theater seem like they'd be fun to hang out with but more than that, I would really just love them to cook for me. Since they're being really good about taking fan suggestions, maybe they could have a competition where they cook for you. I mean, I'm not even saying they have to interact with us in any way, I just want to eat that food.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #714 on: July 19, 2018, 08:43:42 PM »

That's called "pre roll recording", it starts to execute the prior recorded take seconds before starting the new one. He recorded the first part, took a pause and started to record the second part with a few seconds of the playback to know where he should enter when the big red button REC is actually pressed... hehe

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #715 on: July 19, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »

That's called "pre roll recording", it starts to execute the prior recorded take seconds before starting the new one. He recorded the first part, took a pause and started to record the second part with a few seconds of the playback to know where he should enter when the big red button REC is actually pressed... hehe

Yep :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #716 on: July 19, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
So, all the guys in Dream Theater seem like they'd be fun to hang out with but more than that, I would really just love them to cook for me. Since they're being really good about taking fan suggestions, maybe they could have a competition where they cook for you. I mean, I'm not even saying they have to interact with us in any way, I just want to eat that food.

Seriously. Those guys are eating well. I want those chicken thighs, damn it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #717 on: July 19, 2018, 10:28:37 PM »

Yep :metal

So I watched it again and apparently I first watched the vid on a poor connection which is why the audio and the vid were not synced.  :rollin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:08:18 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: July 19, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »

What's wrong with your own thighs?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #719 on: July 20, 2018, 05:33:34 AM »
That several seconds makes me very happy so far!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #720 on: July 20, 2018, 06:24:46 AM »
Anyone here was able to indentify if the hi-hats are back to its normal positions? Just curious about it...
I mean, with the hi-hats high the way they were during the composition phase, it's hard to believe that Mike could play something like the hi-hats patterns he plays on the The Looking Glass solo, which it's one of the things I love in his style of playing. I know, I know, he's Mike Mangini, but still...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:30:09 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #721 on: July 20, 2018, 06:59:01 AM »
Very cool little snippet! Drums sounding great so far!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #722 on: July 20, 2018, 07:10:21 AM »
That snippet really pumped me up! I feel like this will be the best MM album so far (and I loved them all, except for TA).

JP really upped his beard game. No wonder he follows all these pages on Instagram.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: July 20, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
That was a pretty cool clip, sounded awesome.  And of course the food looked great as usual. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #724 on: July 20, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »
JP really upped his beard game. No wonder he follows all these pages on Instagram.

:lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: July 20, 2018, 08:18:14 AM »

What's wrong with your own thighs?

:lol Petrucci looks like he knows how to cook! Did you see how many thighs he had? :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #726 on: July 20, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »
This is what I want to see... it looks like those guys are having an absolute blast writing and recording, just hanging out, and eating like kings.

That sounded great!

Yeah that sizzling chicken's making me hungry.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #727 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »
These posts and updates are all I could ever ask for and more. Way to go, DT :metal

About the little snippet we heard there, when can we start to speculate about where it fits on a song or the album? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: July 20, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
These posts and updates are all I could ever ask for and more. Way to go, DT :metal

About the little snippet we heard there, when can we start to speculate about where it fits on a song or the album? :biggrin:

Agreed. This has been the awesome! They look like they're having an absolute blast.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #729 on: July 20, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
This is what I want to see... it looks like those guys are having an absolute blast writing and recording, just hanging out, and eating like kings.

That sounded great!

Yeah that sizzling chicken's making me hungry.

I'm not sure if these videos are making me more excited for the new album or more hungry!

New album title:  Images & Barbecue or Metropolis Part 3:  Scenes from a Rib Smoker

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: July 20, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
Six Degrees of Grillin

So far we've seen burgers, wings, and thighs.  What are the next three?  Steaks? Hot Dogs?  Sausage? Shrimp maybe? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: July 20, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
Ribs -  Six Racks of Whole Lotta Rub.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #732 on: July 20, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »

That could have just been a warmup routine, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #733 on: July 20, 2018, 11:00:35 AM »

That could have just been a warmup routine, right?

No.  Even aside from the fact that it is obvious from the video that he is recording an actual part of a song, the caption reads:
Here’s Mike in the studio recording a short proggy bit from the new album. Yes, that will be the album take and his reward will be some delicious BBQ chicken courtesy of chef JP!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #734 on: July 20, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
A Dramatic Flip of Patties?

Blackened Tips and Silverware?

A Change of Seasonings?