Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216082 times)

Online goo-goo

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #560 on: June 30, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
I think the bottom half is the Facebook Q&A schedule.

Offline DTA

« Reply #561 on: June 30, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
I think the top right says something like “photo will be set up in the dining area of the studio”. Maybe a photo shoot? It does say All Band.

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #562 on: June 30, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
There's a clearer image on the Labrie fanclub FB page. Top part says "Sign certificates for merch. These will be setup in the dining area of the studio. Sign at your leisure. Please refer to the Test sample."

Other part is just the schedule and url link from the previous FB interview.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:59:47 PM by Nathan Explosion »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2018, 04:45:59 AM »
New concept album about signing merch confirned!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »

Is it, though? Is it?
4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
« Reply #565 on: July 01, 2018, 05:07:56 AM »
New concept album about signing merch confirned!!

Regardless of what I might be doing here, I would like to stress one thing. It's not a concept album.
4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #566 on: July 01, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »

Is it, though? Is it?

Ah, somebody figured out the url when decoded went to Freddy's Twitter page.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #567 on: July 02, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
Methinks Freddy just got fingered.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #568 on: July 02, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
Not a movie I like to be reminded of.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #569 on: July 02, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
???  What movie?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #570 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
On a different note. How many tours have you seen? Since I&W, I've seen every tour except the TOT tour.  Both shows locally were on the weekend for that tour but in an odd twist, I had a weddington go to each time.

I&W (all three American legs)
Awake
ToT (the last leg where they opened for Yes)
Octavarium
SC (Chaos in Motion and Prog Nation '08)
BC&SL (prog Nation '09 and Final Frontier when they opened for Iron Maiden)
ADToE
DT12
I&W and Beyond

I cannot adequately explain how/why there is a near ten year gap.  I saw them in December 1994, and the next shows in my area were in November 1997 and May 1998.  Although I wasn't a fan of FII, I can think of no reason why I didn't attend those shows (I'm especially bummed that I missed the show with Ray Alder and Bruce Dickinson).

The next shows in my area were in February 2000, including the Los Angeles show that got shut down by the fire marshal.  I was in my second year of law school, so maybe my excuse was that I didn't have the money (although I can't imagine that tickets -- especially at the Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana -- would have been all that expensive).  Same with the second leg of the SFAM tour in August 2000, which was right at the start of my last year of law school.

The only tour I can think of a legit reason for missing is 6DOIT.  They played in March and August 2002.  My son was born in May 2002, and I was busting my ass as a first year associate.  While I might have been able to get a pass for the show in March, there's no way I would have gotten one for the show in August.

The first leg of the ToT tour was right after my daughter was born, so I guess that's why I only saw the show where they opened for Yes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #571 on: July 02, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »
I've seen everything from the 1999 warmup tour onward.

Only exceptions: the time they played Scenes from a Memory in full (damn) and when they came with the Prog Nation package (didn't like the bill and figured they'd play little - I didn't go and they played a kickass setlist, damn).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #572 on: July 02, 2018, 01:04:01 PM »

On a different note. How many tours have you seen? Since I&W, I've seen every tour except the TOT tour.  Both shows locally were on the weekend for that tour but in an odd twist, I had a weddington go to each time.

FII Tour (opening for ELP and Deep Purple)*
ToT Tour (twice - An Evening With and a headlining show on an off-night for Yes)
Gigantour (co-headlining with Megadeth)
Octavarium/20th Anniversary (thrice - An Evening With in CT, Boston, NYC)
Systematic Chaos (five times - headlining shows in Buffalo, Boston, CT, NJ, Jones Beach)
Progressive Nation 2008
Progressive Nation 2009
Black Clouds tour (headlining show on an off-night for Iron Maiden)
A Dramatic Tour of Events (twice)
Dream Theater (Boston DVD shoot)
The Astonishing (twice)
Images, Words and Beyond

*was not a fan at the first show. It was actually my first time hearing them. Got into them a few years later. My first new album after becoming a fan was Train of Thought and I have not missed a show in MA since 2004.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #573 on: July 02, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »

FII Tour (opening for ELP and Deep Purple)*
ToT Tour (twice - An Evening With and a headlining show on an off-night for Yes)
Gigantour (co-headlining with Megadeth)
Octavarium/20th Anniversary (thrice - An Evening With in CT, Boston, NYC)
Systematic Chaos (five times - headlining shows in Buffalo, Boston, CT, NJ, Jones Beach)
Progressive Nation 2008
Progressive Nation 2009
Black Clouds tour (headlining show on an off-night for Iron Maiden)
A Dramatic Tour of Events (twice)
Dream Theater (Boston DVD shoot)
The Astonishing (twice)
Images, Words and Beyond

*was not a fan at the first show. It was actually my first time hearing them. Got into them a few years later. My first new album after becoming a fan was Train of Thought and I have not missed a show in MA since 2004.

We've been to a lot of the same shows then.  I live in NH.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pettor

« Reply #574 on: July 03, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »
Just stumbled upon the Mike Mangini audition again with the full DT jam Mike and DT made together. Holy hell! That makes me wonder why the last 2 albums haven't utilized this at all! I mean start at 21:30 and it's exactly what I would love to hear from DT on the new album and Mike's drums sounds fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tZ-go2CXqo

I really hope this is what the new way of working with the "organic sound" will partly accomplish.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #575 on: July 03, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Just stumbled upon the Mike Mangini audition again with the full DT jam Mike and DT made together. Holy hell! That makes me wonder why the last 2 albums haven't utilized this at all! I mean start at 21:30 and it's exactly what I would love to hear from DT on the new album and Mike's drums sounds fantastic!

I really hope this is what the new way of working with the "organic sound" will partly accomplish.
Oh, wow.  I had no idea that had been put out.  I begged JP for some of that footage too!  :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #576 on: July 03, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
It was on the usb stick for the box set for dt12

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #577 on: July 03, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
Oh, that explains it then.  I never bought the box set.  (those kinds of things are too rich for my blood, and I generally have no use for vinyl and most of the other bonus stuff)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #578 on: July 03, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »

Oh, wow.  I had no idea that had been put out.  I begged JP for some of that footage too!  :lol

I've watched it many times already, but I still feel weird looking at JP without his super long beard :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #579 on: July 04, 2018, 09:21:35 PM »
Mike Mangini on facebook:
What a 3 year whirlwind for me and it hasn't slowed quite yet.  2 years of DT touring + 4 months with G3 and everything in between on and off the field. That's a lot of time traveling. I'm sure I'll do plenty of interviews to talk about all that, the non-drumming caused injuries I've somehow healed from and new heights with playing control and personal songwriting I never thought I'd attain and the band camaraderie and teamwork to write what we wrote. I'm sure our latest effort will satisfy the entire DT fan base, but that is for fans to determine.  On to the process after songwriting! But only after a short break for Independence Day here in the USA.  I'm a believer in praying for one's native country and the world - and I do daily, especially after enjoying every place I tour and all the people I meet.  The 2019 Tour will be AMAZING :)

Maybe I’m reading this the wrong way, but does the bolded part mean they’re done with the writing? :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #580 on: July 04, 2018, 10:31:05 PM »
What a 3 year whirlwind for me and it hasn't slowed quite yet.  2 years of DT touring + 4 months with G3 and everything in between on and off the field. That's a lot of time traveling. I'm sure I'll do plenty of interviews to talk about all that, the non-drumming caused injuries I've somehow healed from and new heights with playing control and personal songwriting I never thought I'd attain and the band camaraderie and teamwork to write what we wrote. I'm sure our latest effort will satisfy the entire DT fan base, but that is for fans to determine.  On to the process after songwriting! But only after a short break for Independence Day here in the USA.  I'm a believer in praying for one's native country and the world - and I do daily, especially after enjoying every place I tour and all the people I meet.  The 2019 Tour will be AMAZING :)

Maybe I’m reading this the wrong way, but does the bolded part mean they’re done with the writing? :metal
That would be super fast writing process then :)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #581 on: July 05, 2018, 12:08:22 AM »

That would be super fast writing process then :)

One month working 11 to 12 hours a day. Fast but not super fast IMO.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online nikatapi

« Reply #582 on: July 05, 2018, 03:11:03 AM »
Really hoping for a good album, and that's coming from someone who enjoyed TA.
After 3 albums, i really hope that sound quality (especially drums) is not compromised, and James sings in a more comfortable range. His I&W tour has been atrocious in terms of performance from what i've seen, and TA had some pretty obvious manipulation in his vocal performances.

Songwriting seems to have happened quickly, really hoping to see everyone involved and Mike bringing his crazy mind into the process.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #583 on: July 05, 2018, 03:17:21 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk2BKH6HohN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=d405fomkrvhr

Yeah, something like that, Mike.

Why is that when you watch Mike he seems not to be doing much but the sound tells you something different.  :lol

Offline danidogma

« Reply #584 on: July 05, 2018, 04:48:49 AM »
After 3 albums, i really hope that sound quality (especially drums) is not compromised, and James sings in a more comfortable range. His I&W tour has been atrocious in terms of performance from what i've seen, and TA had some pretty obvious manipulation in his vocal performances.

Songwriting seems to have happened quickly, really hoping to see everyone involved and Mike bringing his crazy mind into the process.

I totally agree with everything. I also hope that what I heard from John in his recent interview with FB, where he was betting on a more natural guitar tone, will come true. The sound of "The Astonishing" does not do justice to the equipment he used to record it.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »

I totally agree with everything. I also hope that what I heard from John in his recent interview with FB, where he was betting on a more natural guitar tone, will come true. The sound of "The Astonishing" does not do justice to the equipment he used to record it.

Tbh, it's not the guitar sound I'm worried about : give me a more natural, less processed drum sound so we can hear everything MM does.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #586 on: July 05, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »
Yes, after 3 great albums with MM I feel the major issue they need to nail down is the sound of the records. Come on man, it shouldn't be THAT hard.

That was some fast writing, inspiration must have been abundant.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #587 on: July 05, 2018, 07:11:33 AM »
^ Yeah, I really feel like it would benefit the band to move on from Rich and have a different engineer/mixer this time around. Get some fresh ears in there.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #588 on: July 05, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
Well...

Online nikatapi

« Reply #589 on: July 05, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »

Tbh, it's not the guitar sound I'm worried about : give me a more natural, less processed drum sound so we can hear everything MM does.

B.Lee

Definitely. I feel like there are so many great parts from MM hidden behind the mix, especially cymbal-wise.
Seeing some clinic videos with Mike playing LNF for example, uncovers so many hidden details in his playing.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #590 on: July 05, 2018, 07:22:28 AM »
Well...

Don't tease me!  :lol

Definitely. I feel like there are so many great parts from MM hidden behind the mix, especially cymbal-wise.
Seeing some clinic videos with Mike playing LNF for example, uncovers so many hidden details in his playing.

One thing that has really stood out to me listening to the MM records vs. the MP records - the lack of cymbals in the mix for MM. MP's records always had the cymbals very clear and present, that is still missing from a lot of the records MM has done with DT thus far.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #591 on: July 05, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »
I felt that even MP's crash and china cymbals were too low in the mix. His hi-hat, ride and stacks were up front. I listened to Systematic Chaos yesterday in the car and man, his kick drums are too loud in the mix.

This morning I stumbled across Primus' "Tales From The Punchbowl" while driving. Hadn't listened to it in years. The drums sound great. Very natural sounding and mixed well. A drum mix like that would be a great improvement for a DT record.

Are they finished writing the album?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #592 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »

Offline danidogma

« Reply #593 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:14 AM »

B.Lee
+1 too

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #594 on: July 05, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Well...

There’s hope! :hefdaddy
Wasn't it already confirmed that Rich isn't going to be their engineer this time around?
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios