Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216001 times)

Offline Schurftkut

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #525 on: June 29, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »
i heard about dream theater when they were touring Scenes, but i was still listening to Liquid tension mostly then. So 6doit was my first new album after having heard scenes (was a bit tough to get into the vocals at first, coming from LTE)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #526 on: June 29, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
I became a DT fan around late 2009/early 2010 (SFAM was the first album I heard from them and loved it), so my first new album was ADTOE, and I was SO excited for it’s release. Pretty much love all the Mangini era albums and can’t wait for this one :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #527 on: June 29, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »
My first "album" was the ACOS ep. First full album was FII. First album as "officially official fan club guy" was SDOIT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #528 on: June 29, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
I guess I'm a bit odd in my DT fan history.  My first album was I&W, so the first "new" album to be released after I became a fan was Awake.  But I was a casual fan at that point and wasn't anticipating the next release.  In fact, I didn't actually buy another DT album until 1999 when I bought SFAM.  After that, I bought the back catalog and got caught up.  So although I was a fan as early as 1992, the first album release I was really anticipating was SDOIT 10 years later.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #529 on: June 29, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »
My first new album was SC and ever since I'm super hyped for every new release.

Besides, it's interesting to see where am I in my life with every release, when the astonishing came out I was just married.

Can't wait for this new album!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #530 on: June 29, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
I heard Pull Me Under on the radio and had to order the CD (I&W) from a local record store.  Amazon what?

Funny thing, I started dating my wife in 1991 and we both saw DT on the I&W tour in Warwick RI for the first time at that weird amusement park.  I've know DT almost as long as my wife!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #531 on: June 29, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
I heard Pull Me Under on the radio and had to order the CD (I&W) from a local record store.  Amazon what?

Funny thing, I started dating my wife in 1991 and we both saw DT on the I&W tour in Warwick RI for the first time at that weird amusement park.  I've know DT almost as long as my wife!

#marriageanologies

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: June 29, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
Piling on.. I heard Pull Me Under without knowing who the artist was on the radio and independent of that my friend lent me the I&W cassette. Question of who the band was is solved!

So first new album for me as a fan was Awake. I cannot imagine a fan's first new album being FII, or TA for that matter.

Don't usually follow any band's pre-album recording/release hype train. Might jump on this one though. The last time I was super-invested in DT at this stage of an album recording cycle was SC. Then they released CM and TDEN before the album dropped, and I thought "What in the blue hell is this crap?" Fortunately the rest of the album assuaged my concerns.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #533 on: June 29, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
James on Facebook:

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for tuning into the livestream yesterday.
Very pumped as this album is kicking ass on all fronts.
Real exciting for the band and I’m sure you all will agree when you finally get to hear it. Finished a lyric yesterday, moving onto the next one soon.
It will be well worth the wait.
Talk soon...

He's already in lyrics writing mode? cool! and we'll get more than one!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #534 on: June 29, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
on twitter he says:

Album is kicking ass.
Finished a lyric yesterday and will be moving on to another soon.
Sonic splendor, you just have to be patient, will be banging your eardrums soon enough.
Speak soon...🤘💀😎

does that mean Sonic Splendor it a title of that track, or is it just something to describe the sound?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #535 on: June 29, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »
100% not a title :P

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #536 on: June 29, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
I got into DT in the period between ACOS and FII but was not massively anticipating FII as, whilst I loved I&W and ACOS, my excitement had been dampened by Awake. I didn’t even know FII was out until I saw it in the new release section at HMV. I decided to give it a go and really enjoyed it. I went to see them on that tour, joined the the fan club and went back and re-bought Awake and then couldn’t figure out why I disliked it in the first place. SFAM was the first release I was super hyped for. Saw a review in a magazine which just gave the album title as Scenes From A Memory, no mention of Metropolis pt 2 but I knew enough that this was a lyric from Metropolis pt 1 and they also mentioned TDOE in the review which was another reference and, fans at the time knew there was some version of Metropolis pt 2 out there.  Anyway, when I phoned HMV on the day of release to check if they had the album, the guy said “is that Metropolis pt 2?” and I pretty much just ran out of work to buy it.  Been massively excited for every album since and this new one will be no exception!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #537 on: June 29, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #538 on: June 29, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
I guess I'm a bit odd in my DT fan history.  My first album was I&W, so the first "new" album to be released after I became a fan was Awake.

That's me too.  According to Wikipedia, PMU was released as a single on August 10, 1992, so I assume I first heard it on the radio that month and then went out and bought I&W.  Live at the Marquee was my first new DT album, and Awake was my first new studio album, which I was greatly anticipating.  In fact, I think I remember seeing the video for "Lie" and wondering why I wasn't seeing Kevin Moore.  When ACoS came out, my friend called me and starting playing the intro and told me what it was, and I almost immediately went out and bought it.  I remember first hearing FII in the living room of a new apartment that was filled with boxes that we hadn't yet unpacked.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #539 on: June 29, 2018, 05:57:42 PM »
I guess I'm a bit odd in my DT fan history.  My first album was I&W, so the first "new" album to be released after I became a fan was Awake.

That's me too. 

Yeah, I think it's actually a requirement for lawyers who are DT fans.  I seem to recall a bar exam question asking what year I became a DT fan.  I passed, so I must have gotten it right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #540 on: June 29, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
On a different note. How many tours have you seen? Since I&W, I've seen every tour except the TOT tour.  Both shows locally were on the weekend for that tour but in an odd twist, I had a weddington go to each time.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: June 29, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
My first new album waa A Change of Seasons or if that does not count, Awake.
Awesome releases both....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #542 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »
On a different note. How many tours have you seen? Since I&W, I've seen every tour except the TOT tour.  Both shows locally were on the weekend for that tour but in an odd twist, I had a weddington go to each time.

6, on the tours for these albums:

Awake
Scenes from a Memory (twice)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Train of Thought
Dream Theater (twice)
The Astonishing

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
Saw the images and words tour. For different reasons I missed the tours until I caught the Scenes from a memory tour after which I have had tickets to all tours (missed the Systematic Chaos tour as I was in a hospital).
Saw both the Astonishing and the Images and words and beyond tours twice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #544 on: June 29, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »

I missed the 6 D's, ToT, Astonishing and IW&B.

But I did see them 4 times before Awake came out. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #545 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »

First time ever seeing them was on The Astonishing tour, and then again on the IW&B tour.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #546 on: June 30, 2018, 01:06:10 AM »
Octavarium tour (twice)
Systematic Chaos (twice)
BC&SL
ADTOE
Along For The Ride
The Astonishing (twice)
Images, Words & Beyond

All in Chicago except the second Astonishing show in which I traveled to Milwaukee.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #547 on: June 30, 2018, 02:18:24 AM »
Casually bought vinyl I&W in 1992, instant fan.

First live show on the Awakening the World Tour, then I managed to catch every European Leg date in my neck of the woods since, except FII because my cesspool of a car at the time died on me and my pals.

Offline krands85

« Reply #548 on: June 30, 2018, 05:20:38 AM »
Systematic Chaos was the first album that came out after I'd been introduced to the band. I don't remember being hugely in to the band at that time and really anticipating the release or anything though. Actually, a check of my Last.fm stats shows that I listened to Octavarium a couple of times in 2006, but then didn't listen to the band again until SC came out and that was what really kickstarted my love of DT.

As for tours, my first was Prog Nation 09 in Glasgow and I've seen them each tour since I think. ADTOE tour also in Glasgow, Along for the Ride DT12 tour in Manchester, the second Astonishing show in London and Images & Words and Beyond back in Glasgow.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: June 30, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
From Octavarium on i’ve seen every tour, with that about the self titled twice.
I was literally one minute far from seeing twice also the last tour but then everything went wrong.

Been caught by DT in between Scenes from New York and Six degrees, so the latter was the first one I was anticipating.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #550 on: June 30, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
My introduction to the band was the Overture from Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. It was already old at the time, so my first new album ended up being A Dramatic Turn of Events. Still haven't seen them on tour yet, mainly because I'm a broke college student and rock concerts are out of my budget lol

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: June 30, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
My excitement is really picking up speed now... I am just 2.5 years into my discovery of DT. This is my first new album!!  To say that I have been like a kid in a candy store with all of their music is an understatement.  It wasn't until about 6 mos. ago, that I could actually listen to any other music. But, now with the excitement they have been generating since going to write, I find I am back to where I started  :mehlin  only wanting to listen to them... To add to my excitement yesterday, they answered my question on the FB Live post (how long in the studio each day and what do you do to chill out),  Octavarium came on my shuffle of the Spotify playlist, and then Again on Pandora.. What!??

Hearing a first "new" album from a band you like is a pretty cool thing. My first "new" Dream Theater album was Systematic Chaos. I can remember how excited I was for it. I still get excited for new records but back then I could barely function I was so pumped. :lol

man. one of petrucci's absolute best solos of his career just 3 minutes into that album. i remember riding my bike to the cd store to buy it :P

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #552 on: June 30, 2018, 11:06:23 AM »
From James' twitter...

"Album is kicking ass.
Finished a lyric yesterday and will be moving on to another soon.
Sonic splendor, you just have to be patient, will be banging your eardrums soon enough."

https://twitter.com/jameslabrie/status/1012813144140365824

Offline Evai

« Reply #553 on: June 30, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
He makes it sound like he wrote a single line of a song :p
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »

Every tour since 1989.

Actually, that's not true. I refused to go on the most recent tour because there was no new music.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
Mine is weird. I first heard Pull Me Under on the radio back in '03-'04 at my cuzs house. Then At school my friends and I had our own forum we used to frequent, this was before Facebook and slightly before MySpace, we used to AIM chat too. Anyways, my friend posted about SFAM on there with the lyrics and I thought that was neat.

Around that same time frame, my uncle was watching Live at Budakon. So me and my cuz watched it with him and my auntie. I borrowed it from him to watch it all. I fell in love with it, especially Endless Sacrifice, Trial of Tears and Stream of Consciousness. I ended up buying the L@B cds.

I finally then bought SFAM, 8vm was just released as well and ended up listening to that at my friends which i enjoyed. That same year DT would tour with Gigantour, I wish i had known more of the songs then but looking back at the setlist it was amazing. Soon aafter I bought 8vm.

They toured opening for Yes and I couldn't go to that show, which looming back at the setlist I'm sad i didn't.

Now my first new album from the guys would be Systematic Chaos. It was neat hearing Constant Motion for the first time, I still enjoy the Solo section. I wasn't disappointed at all then amd still enjoy the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #556 on: June 30, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
Been to every full tour from Touring Into Infinity onwards, sometimes twice if they came back through on a 2nd leg like they did with SFAM and SDOIT tours. Only tour I missed was Octavarium show as I think I was away at the time.

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
« Reply #557 on: June 30, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline Mladen

« Reply #558 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
Alright, DTF, lets do this - what does the page say?  ;D

Offline Evai

« Reply #559 on: June 30, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
I did everything I could to try and sharpen the text and nothing worked, so I gave up :(

Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.