Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216219 times)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #490 on: June 28, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »
Well they kinda did acknowledge the drums needed a different type mix to be able to hear them better.  And it seems they are going for a less processed more organic sound.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #491 on: June 28, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
One piece of interesting info was that they also decided to track the music in that space, i.e. they will not move to another studio for tracking. Apparently that was decided minutes before the live stream.

Wow, that's surprising. Drums might be a challenge, but everything else should be pretty straightforward.

Curious as to who will be engineering the record. That studio they are in now doesn't seem to have much outboard gear, so I assume they will be bringing in someone who works primarily in the box.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #492 on: June 28, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »
I've only watched the first 18 minutes so far.

Interesting stuff.  I'll be interested to hear the idea that MM "researched" and brought to the band.  Sounded like whatever title he suggested will be the final title for the song.

Myung eats a lot of chicken and looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

"Can of Worms" as a working title for one of the songs.

Allegedly, Myung "can speak for himself," all evidence to the contrary.

Many different tunings on JP's guitars (I assume the reference to 175 guitars was an exaggeration).

They mentioned an engineer's name at the same time they mentioned Matty (sp?), but I don't know if it's the same person who will be engineering the album.

I'd wager that a certain barbecue place will become a bit more popular than usual.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #493 on: June 28, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
One piece of interesting info was that they also decided to track the music in that space, i.e. they will not move to another studio for tracking. Apparently that was decided minutes before the live stream.

Wow, that's surprising. Drums might be a challenge, but everything else should be pretty straightforward.

Curious as to who will be engineering the record. That studio they are in now doesn't seem to have much outboard gear, so I assume they will be bringing in someone who works primarily in the box.

Recording there doesn't necessarily means they'll be mixing it there... So our hopes on Jens Bogren or Nolly are still up   :biggrin:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #494 on: June 28, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »
Really enjoyed the video. Many thanks to everyone who helped put it together!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #495 on: June 28, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
At some point, they were asked about the album title and James said something about a lyric he was writing... my english isn’t very good and I didn’t understand what was said next. It seemed that they were joking. Anyway, anyone caught what was said?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #496 on: June 28, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
I'm itchin to be bitchin is a great album title. Hahaha
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #497 on: June 28, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
Sometimes I want to wank,  and sometimes I want to grind.

I mean... What are we supposed to do with that?

Also, I would never cab to a debate.

Mass debater?

Tim needs help translating.   His funny bone is broken. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #498 on: June 28, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
I really enjoyed the video, i feel a great vibe and they all seem really happy and excited. It's great to know that MM is contributing and he seems happy.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #499 on: June 28, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
I'm waiting patiently for the black metal album with a big marshmallow as the cover art.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #500 on: June 28, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
I'm itchin to be bitchin is a great album title. Hahaha
Thanks! :laugh: :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #501 on: June 28, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
I'm waiting patiently for the black metal album with a big marshmallow as the cover art.

It's a Tomato.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #502 on: June 28, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »
Matty (sp?)

He spells it "Maddi."  But his full name is Matthew, so...  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #503 on: June 28, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »

Recording there doesn't necessarily means they'll be mixing it there... So our hopes on Jens Bogren or Nolly are still up   :biggrin:

Haha, I’m still holding out hope for Nolly!

Matty (sp?)

He spells it "Maddi."  But his full name is Matthew, so...  :dunno:

I love how JP brings Maddi everywhere. Clearly their relationship goes far beyond guitarist and tech. Does JP basically employ Maddi full time now?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #504 on: June 28, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
I’m happy they decided to track there cuz of the reasons JP gave. Wouldn’t wanna ruin a great thing!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #505 on: June 28, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Just finished the Facebook video.

WOW, that was awesome. Seems it was only a few weeks ago where we were asking if there's be any interaction during the process. seems they've really blown it out of the water.

You know what makes me happy?

They seem very excited for this new album.
Did they ever seem not very excited for any past album?

Yeah Pax, I know it's a standard thing, but they really do seem excited about what they are doing. It truly feels genuine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #506 on: June 28, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
It is really encouraging that they want the drums to be less buried in the mix and more natural.  It was funny to see MM cheer.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #507 on: June 28, 2018, 10:08:13 PM »
OK, I'm stoked.  Mangini is writing and may be writing lyrics and has apparently come up with a song title and possibly a concept, James is in the midst of writing at least one song although he isn't sure if it will come to fruition, Myung may be writing as well, they are going for a bit more of a raw sound, they are recording in that space too (which is a surprise to everyone including James), the band dynamics may be possibly the best they've ever been or at least since Jordan first joined or possibly since the Images & Words days. 

And they're also apparently releasing the album tomorrow! 

I wish they were serious about the last part but early 2019 can't come soon enough.   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #508 on: June 28, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »
OK, I'm stoked.  Mangini is writing and may be writing lyrics and has apparently come up with a song title and possibly a concept, James is in the midst of writing at least one song although he isn't sure if it will come to fruition, Myung may be writing as well, they are going for a bit more of a raw sound, they are recording in that space too (which is a surprise to everyone including James), the band dynamics may be possibly the best they've ever been or at least since Jordan first joined or possibly since the Images & Words days. 

And they're also apparently releasing the album tomorrow! 

I wish they were serious about the last part but early 2019 can't come soon enough.   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I'm as excited as you are! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

And, yeah, Mike might be writing lyrics for a song, that's awesome to hear! It looks like he's finally getting all the involvement he's wanted to have for all these years. Hopefully this puts to rest all theories of him not being happy with the band and that he was considering to leave after DT14. As for him coming up with a song name/concept, IIRC, this isn't the first time it's happened, as he said on an interview once that he suggested the "what are you willing to live/die for" theme for that section of Illumination Theory :tup

Btw, they answered one of my questions, even though it wasn't one of the big ones. I basically sent a fb comment with A LOT of questions, but the only one that made it to the video was if JM is going to use fretless bass on this album, on which we got a big maybe from him. Time will tell...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #509 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:05 AM »
It almost looks like they're at the same location that JP's camp is going to be at.

Also, Jordan mentioned that they had a cool jam where JP was trying out a new guitar model... the 8 string perhaps??  :D

Anyways, all I know is MM seems so excited and I'm pretty sure he wants to spill all the beans really bad.  :lol
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:18:02 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #510 on: June 29, 2018, 01:39:42 AM »
Has James mentioned what he's actually doing there, and how he's taking part in the creative process?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #511 on: June 29, 2018, 03:20:13 AM »
It almost looks like they're at the same location that JP's camp is going to be at.

JPs camp is on Long Island, glen cove. Thats near the studio where they recorded the last few albums. (Fun fact - thats where Ravenskill was situated on the Astonishing map).

This is not the studio they're at now. It's a (relatively) new place.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #512 on: June 29, 2018, 03:57:53 AM »
I really enjoyed the video, i feel a great vibe and they all seem really happy and excited. It's great to know that MM is contributing and he seems happy.

I don't know if we watched different video but LaBrie and Myung seems pretty uncomfortable. We all know Myung is a silent guy but I don't know the reason why James seems so bored and quiet. All I see Mangini is extremely excited which is good and it's like (again) we see Petrucci and Rudess as main composers and the other guys contributing to some extend.

It's a cliche the band seems excited and hyped for the new record but I'm happy to see now they are all together from the beginning to end.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #513 on: June 29, 2018, 05:39:05 AM »

I don't know if we watched different video but LaBrie and Myung seems pretty uncomfortable. We all know Myung is a silent guy but I don't know the reason why James seems so bored and quiet.

Bored and quiet? Do you mean laid back and chill? He was still cracking jokes and participating. Same ol James if you ask me

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: June 29, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »
OK, I'm stoked.  Mangini is writing and may be writing lyrics and has apparently come up with a song title and possibly a concept

Is that Dirtbags?  :rollin

I can't believe they put out an hour long QA like this.  So cool.  I'll have to watch it in bits at work, but so far it's really cool and been all great news about their creation process and plan for this album so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #515 on: June 29, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
Cool video. The biggest takeaway I got was the purpose for them recording there being they wanted the album to have a ‘live’ feel and be less ‘produced’. That’s pretty interesting. Can’t wait to hear it.

Judging from some of the comments made it sounded like this album may lean towards the heavy side? Did anyone else get that impression? There were several mentions of ‘gritty’ and ‘nasty’....especially directed towards Jordan.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #516 on: June 29, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

I don't know if we watched different video but LaBrie and Myung seems pretty uncomfortable. We all know Myung is a silent guy but I don't know the reason why James seems so bored and quiet.

Don't think James is bored. Quiet, yes, but I think all has to do with being tired as well. Just listen to the guys tell they work up to 11/12 hours a day, even more at times. Must be really demanding.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
My excitement is really picking up speed now... I am just 2.5 years into my discovery of DT. This is my first new album!!  To say that I have been like a kid in a candy store with all of their music is an understatement.  It wasn't until about 6 mos. ago, that I could actually listen to any other music. But, now with the excitement they have been generating since going to write, I find I am back to where I started  :mehlin  only wanting to listen to them... To add to my excitement yesterday, they answered my question on the FB Live post (how long in the studio each day and what do you do to chill out),  Octavarium came on my shuffle of the Spotify playlist, and then Again on Pandora.. What!??

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #518 on: June 29, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
My excitement is really picking up speed now... I am just 2.5 years into my discovery of DT. This is my first new album!!  To say that I have been like a kid in a candy store with all of their music is an understatement.  It wasn't until about 6 mos. ago, that I could actually listen to any other music. But, now with the excitement they have been generating since going to write, I find I am back to where I started  :mehlin  only wanting to listen to them... To add to my excitement yesterday, they answered my question on the FB Live post (how long in the studio each day and what do you do to chill out),  Octavarium came on my shuffle of the Spotify playlist, and then Again on Pandora.. What!??

Hearing a first "new" album from a band you like is a pretty cool thing. My first "new" Dream Theater album was Systematic Chaos. I can remember how excited I was for it. I still get excited for new records but back then I could barely function I was so pumped. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #519 on: June 29, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »

Hearing a first "new" album from a band you like is a pretty cool thing. My first "new" Dream Theater album was Systematic Chaos. I can remember how excited I was for it. I still get excited for new records but back then I could barely function I was so pumped. :lol

I'm with you. Technically Octavarium came out while I was a brand new fan but I was not aware of it at all until a couple months after it released. SC was the first one for which I was on the hype train, with the studio videos and fan participation and all that. Can't believe that was 11 years ago.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #520 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »
My first new album as a fan was Scenes from a Memory. Hell of a start with the band  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #521 on: June 29, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
My first new album was Octavarium. Very proud of that too!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #522 on: June 29, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »
First new album was Awake. Was excited to hear the follow-up to I&W.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Mladen

« Reply #523 on: June 29, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »
That Q&A was so much fun, great to watch on a long, rainy afternoon.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #524 on: June 29, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »
My first new album was... Ehm... The Astonishing ;D