Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216101 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #455 on: June 27, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
Sounds like if it's 8 songs, there's inevitably going to be some mindless wankery and sections that overstay their welcome. Wonderful. Oh well.

Good... that's Dream Theater!

^This, absolutely.  :lol

And not to pick on you, but since we have heard absolutely zero percent of the album, presuming to know what it will be like is really pointless and silly.

I love how people say difficult wankery is “mindless” but boring stuff in stock 4/4 is the stuff of brilliance  :rollin

It can be.  Complexity and a shitload of notes means nothing on its own. What you wrote is emblematic of the prog fan stereotype. Complexity good, 4/4 plebian!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:16:31 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #456 on: June 27, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »
Sometimes I want to wank,  and sometimes I want to grind.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: June 27, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »

I mean... What are we supposed to do with that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: June 27, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »

I mean... What are we supposed to do with that?

Also, I would never cab to a debate.

Mass debater?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #459 on: June 27, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »
 :lol

Totally!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #460 on: June 27, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »
Remember when some said the band never gives us as much as Portnoy used to.  In just the last few weeks, they have blown that theory to smithereens.  I don't remember fans ever getting this many updates on the fly during the making of a DT record.  :tup :tup
Yeah, but it took them 4 albums before they finally came around to doing it. I think the theory was proven. Glad they've finally made the change and are starting to give us what we've been missing for several years.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: June 27, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
You know what makes me happy?

They seem very excited for this new album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: June 27, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
Remember when some said the band never gives us as much as Portnoy used to.  In just the last few weeks, they have blown that theory to smithereens.  I don't remember fans ever getting this many updates on the fly during the making of a DT record.  :tup :tup
Yeah, but it took them 4 albums before they finally came around to doing it. I think the theory was proven. Glad they've finally made the change and are starting to give us what we've been missing for several years.

:lol :lol

Online Dream Team

« Reply #463 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
Sounds like if it's 8 songs, there's inevitably going to be some mindless wankery and sections that overstay their welcome. Wonderful. Oh well.

And not to pick on you, but since we have heard absolutely zero percent of the album, presuming to know what it will be like is really pointless and silly.

I love how people say difficult wankery is “mindless” but boring stuff in stock 4/4 is the stuff of brilliance  :rollin

It can be.  Complexity and a shitload of notes means nothing on its own. What you wrote is emblematic of the prog fan stereotype. Complexity good, 4/4 plebian!

My issue is with the word “mindless”. I think it more often applies to bands who play the same 3 chords and drum beats every song, which is pretty much the definition of mindless. Coming up with intricate or complicated passages that challenges yourself and the listener requires a lot more mind. Not to mention there might be wankery in 1 or 2 songs on the album but people act like it comprises the entire album  ::)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #464 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »

My issue is with the word “mindless”. I think it more often applies to bands who play the same 3 chords and drum beats every song, which is pretty much the definition of mindless. Coming up with intricate or complicated passages that challenges yourself and the listener requires a lot more mind. Not to mention there might be wankery in 1 or 2 songs on the album but people act like it comprises the entire album  ::)
I think you're both silly. Of course there are some great songs in 4/4 and also boring stuff.  There's incredible songs that are complex and feature shredding, and boring songs too.  And which is good vs boring is up to the listener.  :P

Offline dparrott

« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2018, 08:56:18 PM »
I think you're both silly. Of course there are some great songs in 4/4 ...

The first thing that comes to my mind is the verse riff for Home.  Simple and basic but I love it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #466 on: June 27, 2018, 11:27:42 PM »

To be fair, two of those albums were wrapped in secrecy due to circumstances. Adtoe because dt hadn't announced the new drummer yet, and ta because of the whole concept thing. And we got some cool EPK videos from the ADTOE and DT12 sessions. DT12 also had the fan listening parties in a lot of cities. Plus chocolate cake. TA had a completely different leadup to it with the concept reveal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:35:02 AM by noxon »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #467 on: June 28, 2018, 12:01:25 AM »

This is so true that it was right in front of my face the whole time.  Mind.  Blown.

r/Showerthoughts

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #468 on: June 28, 2018, 05:01:51 AM »
One thing that I want to throw out there is that beside the music, I hope the change to Inside Out will bring a new approach also to the actual booklet and packaging.

A Dramatic Turn of Events was just fine, it was the standard case, no big deal.

Dream Theater, at least in my stores, came with the digipack version, two discs included, AND the booklet glued to the case. You wanna go through the booklet? get the whole package.

Then came The Astonishing: once again the booklet is glued to the package, and on top of that, on the inlay there are white credits on a basically white backgrounds, and the lyrics are written in small and generic Arial (or something very similar) font. Why lord why? with such a gorgeous album a little part of the pleasure is also to take off the booklet, read the lyrics as you listen to the songs, even just read the lyrics period for a quick trip down memory lane (am I the only one that occasionally takes off the booklet of an album to go through it and just have a general memory of what the album is like going quickly through the lyrics?).

I basically never, ever read The Astonishing lyrics holding the actual CD package, which I actually bought of course, in my hands. I've bought something and the label packaged it in a way that made me lose interest in actually holding it in my hands, and considering how I ripped the music on my computer, I guess I can safely say that I barely ever touched the CD (which, again, I actually bought). The only interaction I had with the physical copy was whenever I was listening to it in my car (old car, no mp3 player), otherwise, it was always mp3 player or PC speakers AND the lyrics off the internet.

I hope the next album will be something good to look at and to hold in your hands, and with a free booklet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:59:39 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #469 on: June 28, 2018, 05:16:52 AM »
You know what makes me happy?

They seem very excited for this new album.
Did they ever seem not very excited for any past album?
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #470 on: June 28, 2018, 06:14:15 AM »
Then came The Astonishing: once again the booklet is glued to the package, and on top of that, on the inlay there are write credits on a basically white backgrounds, and the lyrics are written in small and generic Arial (or something very similar) font. Why lord why? with such a gorgeous album a little part of the pleasure is also to take off the booklet, read the lyrics as you listen to the songs, even just read the lyrics period for a quick trip down memory lane (am I the only one that occasionally takes off the booklet of an album to go through it and just have a general memory of what the album is like going quickly through the lyrics?).

This. If any album needed a good booklet it was TA, but it just didn't. ADToE and DT12 have a way better overall presentation. At least Hugh Syme had unique artwork for each song.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #471 on: June 28, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »

:lol :lol

:lol Indeed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #472 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:07 AM »
I would like a deluxe package to also come in jewel case form or something a little less fragile than the cardboard digipaks or whatever they're called. Every album I have back to Systematic Chaos has an extremely beat-up case because of the material used. Even DT12, which I never listen to, is rough on the edges.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #473 on: June 28, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »

To be fair, two of those albums were wrapped in secrecy due to circumstances. Adtoe because dt hadn't announced the new drummer yet, and ta because of the whole concept thing. And we got some cool EPK videos from the ADTOE and DT12 sessions. DT12 also had the fan listening parties in a lot of cities. Plus chocolate cake. TA had a completely different leadup to it with the concept reveal.

This.  And three LONG drummer audition videos.  And a FREE live Christmas album (not song or short video clip).  And live DVD that featured an orchestra conducted by a fan.  And, because the fans wanted it, a modification to the TA tour set to include a few fan favorites.  And, because the fans wanted it, a full "Images and Words and Beyond" tour, with the "beyond" featuring songs that were specifically chosen as fan favorites.  But we're somehow only just now, four albums in, getting the level of fan service Mike Portnoy provided?  Sorry, Scott.  But I have to disagree with that one.  I will acknowledge that it is different than when Mike was in the band.  And the quantity of "extra" fan service might not quite be the same.  But they absolutely have been giving us some pretty cool extra stuff, and have been doing it pretty consistently. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:55:46 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »

This.  And three LONG drummer audition videos.  And a FREE live Christmas album (not song or short video clip).  And live DVD that featured an orchestra conducted by a fan.  And, because the fans wanted it, a modification to the TA tour set to include a few fan favorites.  And, because the fans wanted it, a full "Images and Words and Beyond" tour, with the "beyond" featuring songs that were specifically chosen as fan favorites.  But we're somehow only just now, four albums in, getting the level of fan service Mike Portnoy provided?  Sorry, Scott.  But I have to disagree with that one.  I will acknowledge that it is different than when Mike was in the band.  And the quantity of "extra" fan service might not quite be the same.  But they absolutely have been giving us some pretty cool extra stuff, and have been doing it pretty consistently.

I agree with this.  I think it's just a case of the bandmembers doing all of those extra things without broadcasting it, instead of MP doing all of those extra things while telling you all about the fact that he's doing those things.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #475 on: June 28, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

I agree with this.  I think it's just a case of the bandmembers doing all of those extra things without broadcasting it, instead of MP doing all of those extra things while telling you all about the fact that he's doing those things.

Well yeah, that certainly has a lot to do with it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #476 on: June 28, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
Anyone knows if The Facebook's Live Q&A should be starting by now?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #477 on: June 28, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »
It begins!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #478 on: June 28, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »
Any chance this will be recorded and available for those of us who don’t do the Facebook?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #479 on: June 28, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
Working title "Can of Worms"  :metal
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline devieira73

« Reply #480 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
Also Mangini giving some lyric ideas, I’ve heard this right?! If so, very cool…

Offline Skeever

« Reply #481 on: June 28, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
It's fine they're doing this but I do prefer the more "behind the Scenes" vibe that MP would do.

The drummer audition, the Luna Park Behind the Scenes, these vids, all have somewhat of a conscientious-if-not-scripted feel to them. It's not better or worse than the old way they did it, just different.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: June 28, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »
Ha, JMX looks soooo uncomfortable.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #483 on: June 28, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
I was only able to catch the last few minutes of that. Any interesting info in the video?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #484 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »
One piece of interesting info was that they also decided to track the music in that space, i.e. they will not move to another studio for tracking. Apparently that was decided minutes before the live stream.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: June 28, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
New album out earlier next year.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline devieira73

« Reply #487 on: June 28, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »
Yes, I understood that also (about the recording studio). I hope they can get a very good quality recording there.

This live chat was very cool to see the vibe within the band, but there wasn't a lot of information on the new album. Since they choose the questions, I imagine they don't want to give too much information for now. Of course, maybe some information that were asked they probably still don't know yet at this point.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #488 on: June 28, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
for most of the instruments you really don't need much of a studio to record. guitars and basses are probably done in boxed up amps, keyboards are put right into the daw, and then you're just left with vocals and drums...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: June 28, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
BTW, was the 175 guitars thing a joke, or is that for real?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."