Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216063 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
No.  Haken is already making a dent in touring.  They will get a bump from touring with MP.   As much as I'd love seeing this Haken is more established in this part of their career to open.
I disagree. Haken is one of my favorite bands, so I'm not knocking them - but a band like Trivium, as much as I don't really care for them, is a much bigger act than Haken, and even THEY opened for DT a few years back.

If they have a vision, they shouldn't fulfill that all the way completely because they are afraid that their core fanbase will not like it?  Sometimes, I question what is the true definition of progressive metal nowadays.
Did you like or hate The Astonishing? Because I remember before TA came out, EVERYONE was saying this and then turned around and shat all over it.  :lol
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »
If they have a vision, they shouldn't fulfill that all the way completely because they are afraid that their core fanbase will not like it?  Sometimes, I question what is the true definition of progressive metal nowadays.
Did you like or hate The Astonishing? Because I remember before TA came out, EVERYONE was saying this and then turned around and shat all over it.  :lol

Agreed! The people who cried loudest for a change of direction were also the people who criticized The Astonishing most. It was a good example of why bands don't go off the beaten path too often. Fans will show you no mercy if you stray in the wrong direction... :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #352 on: June 25, 2018, 06:28:21 AM »
No.  Haken is already making a dent in touring.  They will get a bump from touring with MP.   As much as I'd love seeing this Haken is more established in this part of their career to open.
I disagree. Haken is one of my favorite bands, so I'm not knocking them - but a band like Trivium, as much as I don't really care for them, is a much bigger act than Haken, and even THEY opened for DT a few years back.

I'm saying all the touring and exposure is a good thing for them.  They are on the rise.  I'm hoping within the next 5 years they are playing 2000 seat arenas.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:23:54 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2018, 07:15:11 AM »
Thursday June 28, 3 PM EST, the band will answer on a FB live stream the best questions among those submitted for the last video!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread but is LaBrie actually in the studio with the band as they write? And is he going to record his vocals in the same studio when the band is around?

James is with them right now for the writing process (he posted a couple pics + appeared on the video with JP). They haven't said anything about the recording, though, but considering they're not writing in the studio this time and that he recorded vocals in Canada for ADTOE and TA, my bet is he'll record there as well this time.

That's interesting. I always thought he came in later after everything was written.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »
Well, usually that's how it went, this time around he's there since day one. I've asked that precise question, if his presence there means that he will have more input on how the vocal lines are being constructed, I assume others will have asked what he's doing there, let's hope we'll get the answer in three days!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
And apparently JLB doesn't care for french fries.....
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »

Nah he just doesn't care for peanuts
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »

Nah he just doesn't care for peanuts

:tup  Was wondering if anyone would get it.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Yeah, everybody is there and, best I can tell, contributing in some capacity or the other.  As for whether the new album will be "typical DT" vs. different/experimental, I would assume it would be more toward the former.  I mean, DT like to throw in elements that are different/experimental on EVERY album.  Sometimes it is overt, and sometimes it is subtle.  But it is always there and part of their style.  But I think this will be more "traditional" in terms of being what we are used to from the band.  I could be wrong, but I think that after going so far out on a limb with the last album, they may be likely to give us more of what the fan base would typically expect in a DT album before venturing too far from the path again.  But that is mostly just guesswork in my part, so take it for what it's worth.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
For me The Astonishing is both experimental and typical DT- It's DT doing a rock opera, you recognize all their trademarks, it's not that while listening to the album one thinks "OMG what the hell is this I can't even recognize the band if it wasn't for James singing".

But I surely would not insist that The Astonishing is your typical DT album. Still, for me it's 110% DT.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »
It may be me being a silly eccentric fool or allergic to conventional wisdom, but isn't "typical DT" synonimous with "different/experimental"?

In the last 25 years every album caught me pleasantly by surprise.

Anyway, I'm the buffoon believing The Astonishing is DT's perfect album and rock opera their perfect dimension, so do treat my opinion as you see fit.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #362 on: June 25, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
Yeah, everybody is there and, best I can tell, contributing in some capacity or the other.  As for whether the new album will be "typical DT" vs. different/experimental, I would assume it would be more toward the former.  I mean, DT like to throw in elements that are different/experimental on EVERY album.  Sometimes it is overt, and sometimes it is subtle.  But it is always there and part of their style.  But I think this will be more "traditional" in terms of being what we are used to from the band.  I could be wrong, but I think that after going so far out on a limb with the last album, they may be likely to give us more of what the fan base would typically expect in a DT album before venturing too far from the path again.  But that is mostly just guesswork in my part, so take it for what it's worth.

Sounds good to Herrick.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
DT just made us participate in a Spotify-playlist contest and asked us to title our entries as We Are: Dream Theater.

Jordan posted a video using his keys to jokingly play We Are: Dream Theater using the EWQL Symphonic Choirs app.

Is We Are: Dream Theater the title of the new album?  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »
DT just made us participate in a Spotify-playlist contest and asked us to title our entries as We Are: Dream Theater.

Jordan posted a video using his keys to jokingly play We Are: Dream Theater using the EWQL Symphonic Choirs app.

Is We Are: Dream Theater the title of the new album?  :lol

And then went to 5 Guys to celebrate. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
I am looking forward to this coming Wednesday's video.  It promises to be especially special.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
I love when you tease us!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »
That's what she kingshmegland said.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
Giggity.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2018, 11:19:46 AM »
What I like about the social media posts of DT so far for this album?

Nobody's hogging the spotlight.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
It's great that the band are tuned into the forum, but I hope they ignore it when making their album. I want to hear the music that those 5 guys are passionate about making, not anything too "focus grouped" i.e., what they think the "fans" want to hear based on what a small online community thinks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
What I like about the social media posts of DT so far for this album?

Nobody's hogging the spotlight.

And they are highlighting their excitement, working together, talking about the music and their creative process...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »
It's great that the band are tuned into the forum, but I hope they ignore it when making their album. I want to hear the music that those 5 guys are passionate about making, not anything too "focus grouped" i.e., what they think the "fans" want to hear based on what a small online community thinks.

14 albums in, I think they'll be alright.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
I am looking forward to this coming Wednesday's video.  It promises to be especially special.

Another Bosk tease... something good is going to happen :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
James is with them right now for the writing process (he posted a couple pics + appeared on the video with JP). They haven't said anything about the recording, though, but considering they're not writing in the studio this time and that he recorded vocals in Canada for ADTOE and TA, my bet is he'll record there as well this time.

That's interesting. I always thought he came in later after everything was written.

AFAIK, he did exactly that up until SDoIT.. From ToT onwards he's been there with the rest of the guys throughout the writing process..

The band themselves encouraged him to do that.. Otherwise... well, I'd think most here already know that story..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Gappie

« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2018, 03:52:58 PM »
Are they recording the new album in The Netherlands? I'm asking because of the "Five guys in Netherlands" picture :D Sorry if someone already asked this question!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:59:46 PM by Gappie »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
what? netherlands???

Offline Gappie

« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:41 PM »
Yeah they posted a picture of them being in a "five guys" restaurant in the Netherlands yesterday. I have no idea though wether it has anything to do with where they are at this moment or if it was a old picture or anything. Just curious actually.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »
There's a Five Guys in the Netherlands?  We're talking about the burger place right?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »
Where did the netherlands come from?  I'm looking at the facebook post and does not say Netherlands.  Also, the signs inside are all in english not dutch in the five guys.  Not sure if Five Guys is international either, it could be though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Yeah, I have no idea what the Netherlands has to do with any of this.  ???

Offline Gappie

« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
My bad then guys. Sorry :blush. The facebook post litteraly says : " Four guys at Five guys Netherlands" for me. But it must be facebook recognizing that i am from the Netherlands and turning "five guys" into "fiveguysNetherlands" then i guess. Haha sorry for all the confusion people.

Offline Gappie

« Reply #382 on: June 25, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
My bad then guys. Sorry :blush. The facebook post litteraly says : " Four guys at Five guys Netherlands" for me. But it must be facebook recognizing that i am from the Netherlands and turning "five guys" into "fiveguysNetherlands" then i guess. Sorry for all the confusion people!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #383 on: June 25, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
AFAIK, he did exactly that up until SDoIT.. From ToT onwards he's been there with the rest of the guys throughout the writing process..

The band themselves encouraged him to do that.. Otherwise... well, I'd think most here already know that story..

Which story?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #384 on: June 25, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
Where did the netherlands come from?  I'm looking at the facebook post and does not say Netherlands.  Also, the signs inside are all in english not dutch in the five guys.  Not sure if Five Guys is international either, it could be though.

Ok, so I know we're not supposed to speculate where they're at but that Five Guys looks identical to one in Spokane, Washington.

I think they might be in Spokane.

...or Rockford, Illinois.