Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216128 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »
In regards to Haken, I remember when I first heard Visions years ago, the first thing I remember thinking was that these were the successors to DT's throne. That's coming from a long time die-hard DT fan so I think the fact that their new albums are getting release around the same time it's natural to have the discussion of having the two bands tour together.

I thought the same thing after hearing Aquarius for the first time! Visions is my least favorite Haken album, which of course doesn't mean anything.
Btw, do you guys think I will piss people off by contributing even more to the Haken-mania by creating a thread for favourite Haken album? :D

You can, but not on the DT side of the forum.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #316 on: June 22, 2018, 04:19:52 AM »
DT posted on FB a pic of Myung practicing in the garden, in his usual black clothes he wears on stage  :lol

No matter where he is, John Myung has to wear black and play bass!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2018, 06:44:45 AM »
Why do they seem to be having so much fun?  :rollin

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »
Why do they seem to be having so much fun?  :rollin

:lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2018, 07:05:05 AM »
I'm not usually a "This person needs to contribute to the writing!" kind of guy, just because there are a lot of bands where only a couple of people write, but I hope that Mangini is being allowed to contribute. I remember him sounding pretty bummed about a lack of involvement during an interview a year or two back.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2018, 07:12:02 AM »
I'm not usually a "This person needs to contribute to the writing!" kind of guy, just because there are a lot of bands where only a couple of people write, but I hope that Mangini is being allowed to contribute. I remember him sounding pretty bummed about a lack of involvement during an interview a year or two back.

I hope so too, it certainly seems like the environment is right this time around for him to be able to contribute a good deal.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »
I hope so too. I remember during the DT12 recordings that his problem was that he would come up with an idea to contribute but before he could solidify the idea, the other members already came up with a riff or a progression. I hope that the slower pace of writing a demo instead of writing during the recording session would allow him to contribute more.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
I hope so too. I remember during the DT12 recordings that his problem was that he would come up with an idea to contribute but before he could solidify the idea, the other members already came up with a riff or a progression. I hope that the slower pace of writing a demo instead of writing during the recording session would allow him to contribute more.

Provided it is something interesting, because we don't know after all if his ideas will suit DT. But, yeah, I get where you're coming from. It may make for more interesting drum parts at least.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »

Provided it is something interesting, because we don't know after all if his ideas will suit DT. But, yeah, I get where you're coming from. It may make for more interesting drum parts at least.

B.Lee

This raises an interesting point of discussion that Stadler has talked about many times with Dream Theater: back in the day I don't think there was a 'suits DT/doesn't suit DT' mentality about the songs. They just wrote stuff and the result was a blend of many styles and ideas. I think if any of them have the 'this doesn't suit DT' mentality that's only going to harm the record. FFS we had jazz blastbeats on The Astonishing! Anything should be on the table imo. If for some reason they're becoming risk averse that's only going to be detrimental to songwriting and making some awesome, fresh material. I hope Mangini gets to contribute a lot and has some fresh, wacky ideas.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »

B.Lee

This raises an interesting point of discussion that Stadler has talked about many times with Dream Theater: back in the day I don't think there was a 'suits DT/doesn't suit DT' mentality about the songs. They just wrote stuff and the result was a blend of many styles and ideas. I think if any of them have the 'this doesn't suit DT' mentality that's only going to harm the record. FFS we had jazz blastbeats on The Astonishing! Anything should be on the table imo. If for some reason they're becoming risk averse that's only going to be detrimental to songwriting and making some awesome, fresh material. I hope Mangini gets to contribute a lot and has some fresh, wacky ideas.

Yep and the trend began with SC for me. I hope this all being together will get to something interesting, because if it doesn't, then, there is not much room left. And this is something coming from someone who loves TA.

B.Lee

Offline Nathan Explosion

Offline Renzo

• Daryus

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2018, 03:11:11 AM »
They took a pretty big risk on the last record and not sure fans were too accepting of it. I happen to like TA a lot but I’m fine if they go tried and trusted on this one. Taking big risks is overrated especially 14 albums in when you have an established fan base who know you for a certain style of music.  Last thing I want to see DT do is go away from their core sound like an Opeth or a Pain Of Salvation, give me a classic DT album with crunching riffs, memorable melodies, epic solos and I’ll be happy.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2018, 04:51:45 AM »
Give me a classic DT album with crunching riffs, memorable melodies, epic solos and I’ll be happy.

This is in fact what they are planning to give us, according to JP and JLB.  :metal

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »
So DT, at this point, shouldn't do whatever the heck they want that satisfies them creatively and just stick to what they do best?  That's fine for certain bands (and I prefer some bands to stick with what they do best), but I wouldn't think DT should be that kind of band.  Isn't that what music should be about?  If they have a vision, they shouldn't fulfill that all the way completely because they are afraid that their core fanbase will not like it?  Sometimes, I question what is the true definition of progressive metal nowadays.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:19:35 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
So DT shouldn't be at this stage to do whatever the heck they want that satisfies them creatively?  Isn't that what music should be about?  If they have a vision, they shouldn't fulfill that all the way completely because they are afraid that their core fanbase will not like it?  Sometimes, I question what is the true definition of progressive metal nowadays.

This, seriously.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #333 on: June 23, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
So DT, at this point, shouldn't do whatever the heck they want that satisfies them creatively and just stick to what they do best?  That's fine for certain bands (and I prefer some bands to stick with what they do best), but I wouldn't think DT should be that kind of band.  Isn't that what music should be about?  If they have a vision, they shouldn't fulfill that all the way completely because they are afraid that their core fanbase will not like it?  Sometimes, I question what is the true definition of progressive metal nowadays.

DT have pretty much stuck to what they do best for their entire career so I would expect they would be the type of band to do that. They went outside the box on their last release and half their fan base lost their minds. DT should do whatever they want of course but my guess is that they’ll want to do an album that pleases their fans this time around. I’m personally a fan of what DT do so am not looking for them to stray too far from their core sound. The 2 bands I mentioned (Opeth and POS) totally lost me when they completely changed their style of music. Not saying they were wrong to follow their hearts and make the music they wanted, not at all, just saying that I was not a fan of their new music and I’m not looking to lose another of my favourite bands.

So yes, like I said, I will be happy with a classic sounding DT album, I am not looking for them to do something completely out of left field as I like what they do. That’s just me though, DT should do whatever they want to do.

As for the definition of progressive metal, Id say it was metal with long songs, big solos and lots of noodling. That seems to be the norm.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »
As for the definition of progressive metal, Id say it was metal with long songs, big solos and lots of noodling. That seems to be the norm.

Ok, but can we honestly say that the music is "progressive" nowadays?  I think we probably need to rename that type of music, honestly, since there comes a point where that brand of progressive metal could and may have become cliches and become stale.  I say we should now call that type of music "Technical metal" since I feel like that type of music has lost its "progressive" tendencies.

Btw, I apologize for speaking in thoughts that may make no sense.  I'm still riled over something, hockey-related.  That post is in the NHL thread.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #335 on: June 23, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
I don’t know, Technical Metal sounds a little cold and joyless. I just think people shouldn’t take the word progressive too literally. I just see it as a mixture of metal music and prog music so you get the epic songs and noodling along with the heavy aggressive metal elements. Progressive is just a label, not an indication that this will be the next stage of musical evolution.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #336 on: June 23, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
Ok, but can we honestly say that the music is "progressive" nowadays?  I think we probably need to rename that type of music, honestly, since there comes a point where that brand of progressive metal could and may have become cliches and become stale.  I say we should now call that type of music "Technical metal" since I feel like that type of music has lost its "progressive" tendencies.
I'd say no. Just like I wouldn't stop calling "alternative music" alternative, even though it's far from alternative now. While it might have a meaning to describe a new style of music, over time a label (such as progressive or alternative) comes to define a style of music, even if that style of music outgrows the label it was given in the first place. Any style of music that is not common could be defined as alternative or progressive, but that doesn't mean that we'd actually call it alternative or progressive music.

Besides, there already is technical metal - IIRC, bands like Watchtower and Spiral Architect fit that label more than they would progressive.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »
Besides, many people think of the term "progressive" in a very singular way. It's not (just) about the music being a progress from the music that was before.

It can also means the music progresses instead of going around in loops of "verse, chorus, verse, chorus".

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #338 on: June 24, 2018, 02:13:48 AM »
Besides, many people think of the term "progressive" in a very singular way. It's not (just) about the music being a progress from the music that was before.

It can also means the music progresses instead of going around in loops of "verse, chorus, verse, chorus".

That's how I hear the term as well.

B.Lee

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #339 on: June 24, 2018, 07:08:21 AM »

I've always divided "progressive" music in two three camps with some overlap:

"Prog" rock/metal, which tries to emulate the sound of 70s Prog Bands (Genesis, Yes, Rush, Floyd, etc.) or 90s Prog Metal Bands (DT, Opeth, PT, Meshuggah, etc.) without really adding anything new to the genre. Most of the "lesser known" prog bands fall here, as does a lot of Djent.

"Progressive" rock/metal, which tries to break new ground while not necessarily emulating the 70s or 90s prog sounds. Stuff like King Crimson, Yes, Dream Theater, The Dear Hunter, older Muse, Radiohead, etc.

and "Art" Rock/Metal just aims to make albums/songs more thematic/connected/cohesive, or attempts to use classical or jazz theory in a traditional rock/metal setting. Art rock/metal won't necessarily try to get rid of the "Intro - Verse 1 - Chorus - Verse 2 - Chorus - Bridge - Solo - Chorus - Chorus - Outro" structure, but it'll do more thematic and interesting things with that structure. Things that fit here are older Muse, Radiohead, crow-era Incubus, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Beatles' later albums, My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade, etc.

Since there's overlap, something can fit in one, two, or all three subgenres. Pink Floyd, for example, fits all three. Dream Theater mostly fits the first two. MCR's The Black Parade isn't prog/progressive, but it's definitely art rock. And so on.

Offline fps

« Reply #340 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
They took a pretty big risk on the last record and not sure fans were too accepting of it. I happen to like TA a lot but I’m fine if they go tried and trusted on this one. Taking big risks is overrated especially 14 albums in when you have an established fan base who know you for a certain style of music.  Last thing I want to see DT do is go away from their core sound like an Opeth or a Pain Of Salvation, give me a classic DT album with crunching riffs, memorable melodies, epic solos and I’ll be happy.

While I agree to an extent (Opeth are lost to me), PoS' 2017 record is my second favourite of theirs of all time after Remedy Lane.
DEATH APE DISCO DEBUT ALBUM STREAMING IN FULL -------------------> https://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/
Like Clutch, Down, Alice In Chains? \m/

Offline fps

« Reply #341 on: June 24, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »

"Prog" rock/metal, which tries to emulate the sound of 70s Prog Bands (Genesis, Yes, Rush, Floyd, etc.) or 90s Prog Metal Bands (DT, Opeth, PT, Meshuggah, etc.) without really adding anything new to the genre. Most of the "lesser known" prog bands fall here, as does a lot of Djent.

"Progressive" rock/metal, which tries to break new ground while not necessarily emulating the 70s or 90s prog sounds. Stuff like King Crimson, Yes, Dream Theater, The Dear Hunter, older Muse, Radiohead, etc.

and "Art" Rock/Metal just aims to make albums/songs more thematic/connected/cohesive, or attempts to use classical or jazz theory in a traditional rock/metal setting. Art rock/metal won't necessarily try to get rid of the "Intro - Verse 1 - Chorus - Verse 2 - Chorus - Bridge - Solo - Chorus - Chorus - Outro" structure, but it'll do more thematic and interesting things with that structure. Things that fit here are older Muse, Radiohead, crow-era Incubus, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Beatles' later albums, My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade, etc.

Since there's overlap, something can fit in one, two, or all three subgenres. Pink Floyd, for example, fits all three. Dream Theater mostly fits the first two. MCR's The Black Parade isn't prog/progressive, but it's definitely art rock. And so on.

Lol at your putting Meshuggah in with Opeth, suggesting they are imitating 90s prog bands, and that they offered nothing new in their genre. They invented a genre.

Also, need to go back and take a look at how innovative Opeth were in late 90s and early 00s. They are now a 70s rock throwback, but that's a different matter.
DEATH APE DISCO DEBUT ALBUM STREAMING IN FULL -------------------> https://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/

Offline fps

« Reply #342 on: June 24, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »

As for Queen... I mean, just listen to A Night At The Opera, let alone any of their other 70s records....

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #343 on: June 24, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »

Lol at your putting Meshuggah in with Opeth, suggesting they are imitating 90s prog bands, and that they offered nothing new in their genre. They invented a genre.

Also, need to go back and take a look at how innovative Opeth were in late 90s and early 00s. They are now a 70s rock throwback, but that's a different matter.

...I was saying that they were two of the big 90s progressive bands that a lot of prog bands nowadays imitate, but okay. :U

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #344 on: June 24, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »

While I agree to an extent (Opeth are lost to me), PoS' 2017 record is my second favourite of theirs of all time after Remedy Lane.

Couldn’t argue with you as I haven’t bought one of their albums in years so I haven’t heard it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
DT should do whatever they want of course but my guess is that they’ll want to do an album that pleases their fans this time around.

It *did* please their fans but, as it is such with the Internet, the fans that didn't like it always have the loudest voices thereby skewing perception.  The only issue I can see with The Astonishing is people not understanding what it was:  a rock opera, which means they got something they weren't expecting and that seems to be enough to totally take a dump on it.  DT never said "it's a jazz album" or anything like that.  It was *always* a rock opera but people who decided to not understand that are generally the ones taking the dumps.

Hasn't it already been said that DT does, in fact, try and please their fans anyway by doing Album A, listening to fans, then not repeating Album A and doing Album B instead?  Ultimately, they still do what they want regardless but also keeping the fans in mind.

Also, nobody can please 100% of any fans in any medium, so there's no point in even trying.  Just do what you do and see what happens.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread but is LaBrie actually in the studio with the band as they write? And is he going to record his vocals in the same studio when the band is around?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
It *did* please their fans but, as it is such with the Internet, the fans that didn't like it always have the loudest voices thereby skewing perception.

I don't think that's true. The TA tour was, to my knowledge, the only DT tour that played in less than half-filled venues by the end of the tour. Whether you disagree with the fans' perception of TA is irrelevant, but it's definitely not true that TA "pleased the fans" in general.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
I'm a fan.  I'm pleased with TA.  Others feels that way as well and others don't.  Does that mean because others don't like it invalidate those that do dig it?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »
Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread but is LaBrie actually in the studio with the band as they write? And is he going to record his vocals in the same studio when the band is around?

James is with them right now for the writing process (he posted a couple pics + appeared on the video with JP). They haven't said anything about the recording, though, but considering they're not writing in the studio this time and that he recorded vocals in Canada for ADTOE and TA, my bet is he'll record there as well this time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."