Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216020 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2018, 11:03:38 PM »
Well Jordan has thrown us a bone.

"Here is my notation from the Dream Theater writing sessions. Good luck!! :)"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEND9QHrvR/?hl=en&taken-by=jcrudess
Awesome, JR is trolling us! :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »
I'm pretty giddy.

Not sure if this has been talked about already, but I tried looking through some of the videos that were posted, and couldn't find any trace of this fabled 8 string that JP and SB have been talking about for over a year.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2018, 04:16:57 AM »
Maybe now that they're in writing mode they use their usual gear, and once they know which material they'll have, he'll try a heavy song on that guitar.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2018, 04:22:38 AM »
Maybe now that they're in writing mode they use their usual gear, and once they know which material they'll have, he'll try a heavy song on that guitar.

This.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2018, 06:43:29 AM »

This.

He can’t try a song on a guitar that doesn’t exist, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2018, 06:53:06 AM »

This.

He can’t try a song on a guitar that doesn’t exist, though.

But he is THE JP!!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
And on the 7th day JP said "Let there be 8 string" and he saw that it was good.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
TWITTER UPDATE.  Basically, it's all good vibes.

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1008154542989602816

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »
Awesome. John is so giddy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »
"The five pillars of Dream Theater"

Sounds good to me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2018, 09:53:05 PM »
They posted a longer video on Facebook and confirmed the music is very heavy and aggressive, but also progressive and epic (from JP’s mouth), so it sounds good as always :metal

They also asked to post questions about the album (and more) on the comments, so I basically left a comment with like 10 questions or more :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2018, 01:20:45 AM »
They posted a longer video on Facebook and confirmed the music is very heavy and aggressive, but also progressive and epic (from JP’s mouth), so it sounds good as always :metal

They also asked to post questions about the album (and more) on the comments, so I basically left a comment with like 10 questions or more :lol

I like the way they are interacting with fans in this one..

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »
Yeah, more of these kind of studio videos with treats! I like what they're doing!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2018, 02:32:09 AM »
I just really hope they use another sound engineer for mixing this time. The last couple of records sound extremely sterile and boring, to the point where I'm not able to enjoy the music that much for that reason alone.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2018, 03:10:52 AM »
The interaction part of it is really cool!

I asked if James' presence since day one means he will have more creative control over the vocal lines and melodies.... we wouldn't want the music to be written all instrumentally, and then whoever wrote the most come up with vocal lines that would make James choke live every night.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »
I just really hope they use another sound engineer for mixing this time. The last couple of records sound extremely sterile and boring, to the point where I'm not able to enjoy the music that much for that reason alone.
Hmm, I think TA is mixed and produced very well! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2018, 02:33:03 PM »
Hmm, I think TA is mixed and produced very well!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2018, 02:46:29 PM »
I've seen a lot of people speaking well of Kevin Shirley and wishing for his return during the mixing process. As he mixed Train of Thought, if DT14 turns out to be a 'heavy and aggressive' record as the band has said, It's quite possible that he will be mixing the album assuring the band is still in contact with him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
I've seen a lot of people speaking well of Kevin Shirley and wishing for his return during the mixing process. As he mixed Train of Thought, if DT14 turns out to be a 'heavy and aggressive' record as the band has said, It's quite possible that he will be mixing the album assuring the band is still in contact with him.

I asked them about the posibility of working with him on future mixes on their Facebook post, hope they answer it. He actually mixed FII, half of SFAM, SDOIT and TOT (and all the live albums between them + CIM), and most of them sound very good. It would be nice to have him mix the album this time.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
Well, it’s seems Richard Chycki is busy with other stuff now. Doesn’t seem like he’s involved in the new dt album. (Ref: Facebook)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2018, 02:13:35 AM »
Let's see about engineering-mixing. Shirley would be a top option since the albums mixed by him are the best sounding ones.
I would say that even Paul Northfield (SC, BC&SL) would be good, as long as the album doesn't get ultra-loud.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2018, 03:15:28 AM »
Hope they try a different engineer this time. A newer, fresher one.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:02 AM »
There's always Jens Bogren (Opeth, Katatonia, Haken....) who would be a great fit in creating a modern, powerful sound.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2018, 03:49:09 AM »
I would say that even Paul Northfield (SC, BC&SL) would be good, as long as the album doesn't get ultra-loud.

In my opinion, BC&SL is one of their best-sounding albums. So I'd be all for this  :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2018, 04:21:14 AM »
There's always Jens Bogren (Opeth, Katatonia, Haken....) who would be a great fit in creating a modern, powerful sound.

That'd be super kewl. I have never heard an album where he was involved that had a shitty sound.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2018, 05:46:17 AM »
Well, it’s seems Richard Chycki is busy with other stuff now. Doesn’t seem like he’s involved in the new dt album. (Ref: Facebook)

But DT are currently writing, not recording, so there’s no need for a studio engineer/mixer right now. Once they move to a recording studio and start tracking, then we’ll (hopefully) find out who’s working with them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:21 AM »
I am wondering if someone, maybe JLB, has a tablet or laptop open over there just refreshing DTF.  It seems like they are hitting a lot of spots that DTF has talked about over the last bit with regards to the type of music they want, the direction of the band, the social media exposure and updates.  I'm pretty excited for this.  They are doing exactly the opposite of SOA and even what they have done on their more recent albums, and just let the music come together as a band in seclusion.   

"The five pillars of Dream Theater"

Sounds good to me.

:metal :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2018, 07:06:06 AM »
Well, it's no secret that Bosk passes along relevant information to the band, updating them on what goes on in the forum...

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »

Well if this is the case there is even Fredrik Nordström who worked even with Opeth and he is well known for his good productions in heavy albums. His production in Architects' Lost Forever Lost Together was amazing.  :metal :metal

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2018, 08:13:08 AM »
DT still needs to be careful what they post - guys from these forums could solve Cicada 3301 riddles with ease.

I'm back to the forums after a few year break. It's the best time to be here when the hype slowly begins growing. Cannot wait for new brain teasers, like when we managed to correlate track lengths with track names given only standard deviation of track lengths and a single pie chart
DT14 season has officially started!
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
The bands level of fan interaction this time, is perfect.  :tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »

Well if this is the case there is even Fredrik Nordström who worked even with Opeth and he is well known for his good productions in heavy albums. His production in Architects' Lost Forever Lost Together was amazing.  :metal :metal

Jens Bogren worked on James’ last two records, so they could consider working with him. I really like his work on the last two Angra albums.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2018, 08:36:24 AM »

Jens Bogren worked on James’ last two records, so they could consider working with him. I really like his work on the last two Angra albums.

I really love the sound of Impermanent Resonance too.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
Do people think Katatonia albums sound good?  I've never been one to complain about that sort of thing, and don't have a problem at all with the last few DT albums.  But I've always thought Katatonia albums do sound really good and clear and wonder if it's just because I like them or if those albums don't do as much of whatever it is people complain about with the mix.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #279 on: June 18, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
Cool little video update, the guys seem really excited. I love the different approach this time around. Being able to write in a room together, demo everything and then have time to actually react to the demos and tweak if needed - that's something we've discussed on here before as something that would be beneficial to the band instead of just writing and recording all at the same time in the studio.