Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216053 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
The only one we've not seen in the studio (correct me if i'm wrong) is James...

"We actually have a singer in this band, one day he'll show up and sing in this microphone" Mike Portnoy - 2001  ;D

Just kidding..  :angel:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »
On reflection, I don't think it's a very good idea to be guessing the band's location. I honestly don't even know if the guesses were correct, but if they are then I don't really want DTF to be the cause of a bunch of nerds turning up and disturbing the band from what is clearly deliberately quite a secluded writing space.

Not that I think any of our regulars would do so, but the forum is visible to anyone. :P

Thank you, Rich.  Yes, this is the forum policy on this issue.  Please do not post such clues, guys.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »

Maybe he’s busy preparing his band for NOT playing ProgPower :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »

Maybe he’s busy preparing his band for NOT playing ProgPower :biggrin:

:rollin

But seriously: have we all been assuming James would be there or his presence has been clearly and explicitly confirmed by the other band members?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »
John said James would be standing about where the camera was in that Facebook video. Although it's probably going to be a little while till it's time for him to sing anything until they figure out the instrumental side of the tracks and lyrics.

Maybe he's outside playing basketball?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBfZoIsQoA&feature=youtu.be&t=6m7s
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:42:28 AM by Nathan Explosion »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
So how long until someone deciphers what is on JR's music stand?  It's the DTF way...

Looks to me like he edited to blur the music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2018, 09:25:08 AM »
I don't think James is even there but I could be wrong.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:11 AM »
I don't think James is even there but I could be wrong.

He might not be right now, but he's certainly going to be there and be involved in the writing process - based on what the band has said.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »
So how long until someone deciphers what is on JR's music stand?  It's the DTF way...

Looks to me like he edited to blur the music.

Smart man haha he knows DTF well enough

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
There was a pic a few years ago that gave away some lyrics. I can't remember what it was (Through the Looking Glass maybe?), but we took an image of the back of a piece of paper, flipped it horizontally and modified the brightness. The words were revealed.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
There was a pic a few years ago that gave away some lyrics. I can't remember what it was (Through the Looking Glass maybe?), but we took an image of the back of a piece of paper, flipped it horizontally and modified the brightness. The words were revealed.

It was The Enemy Inside

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »

Maybe Jordan knows that and took a blurry picture on purpose!  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »
Guys, there isn't a blur on the picture. It's a transcription of a really fast section, where everything is a blur.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Evai

« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »

Zoomed in and enhanced :)

Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
Didn’t know where to post this, but Marco Minnemann shared on Instagram that he just recorded a 22 min song for Jordan’s new solo album, and posted a pic of both on a studio. Is Jordan actually working on two albums at the same time?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2018, 01:02:48 AM »
Didn’t know where to post this, but Marco Minnemann shared on Instagram that he just recorded a 22 min song for Jordan’s new solo album, and posted a pic of both on a studio. Is Jordan actually working on two albums at the same time?

Like that would be hard for him  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2018, 01:24:24 AM »

Zoomed in and enhanced :)

Apparently there are four lines in the sheet music instead of five..
DT14: Gregorian Chant music. Confirmed!!

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2018, 03:14:50 AM »

I saw that too... How is that even possible??
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2018, 04:51:23 AM »
Rudess already recorded most of his solo album, apparently. I place my bet on Minnemann doing drums, Mohini Dey on bass, and Plini on guitars. And of course, JR also on guitars with his new 8-string monster. He shared some thoughts and pics of the process some months ago, so I think these sessions won't be overlapped.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
and Plini on guitars.

The Elder or the Younger?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
James posted on Instagram a couple pics from the studio, so he actually IS there, even though he's in none of them :P

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkDKfYjnGSO/?hl=en&taken-by=jameslabrie.dt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkDLWH7nJCk/?hl=en&taken-by=jameslabrie.dt

Something interesting from the one with MM: his hi-hats are way on top of his kit now, I feel like this would be very difficult to play, but it's Mangini we're talking about, it's all easy to him anyway :lol

Like that would be hard for him  :hat

I was impressed because Marco posted a pic of him playing, with Jordan next to him, which, asumming it isn't an older pic, would mean JR went from one studio with DT to other for Marco's recording on the same day, and that's... astonishing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
I believe the picture with JR and MM is an older pic from the NAMM earlier this year in Anaheim. MM, JR, Plini and Mohini were did a couple of shows in NAMM and I did see some pics in a studio around that time. I'm stoked for this one. I've been on a Plini fringe this past couple of months and saw him with Tesseract.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
Rudess already recorded most of his solo album, apparently. I place my bet on Minnemann doing drums, Mohini Dey on bass, and Plini on guitars. And of course, JR also on guitars with his new 8-string monster. He shared some thoughts and pics of the process some months ago, so I think these sessions won't be overlapped.

If Plini is on guitars, with Marco on drums, I'd honestly be more excited for this album than DT's next one at the moment!

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
New photo from Jordan.
There's a horse, Progressive country album confirmed!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
How has there only been one Photoshop/MS Paint of that picture Jordan posted with the sheet music in the background?!?!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evai

« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »

Yeah this is pretty stupid  :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
Something interesting from the one with MM: his hi-hats are way on top of his kit now, I feel like this would be very difficult to play, but it's Mangini we're talking about, it's all easy to him anyway :lol

Wow, that's so weird, thanks for pointing it out! Why on earth would he do that? Maybe its easier to reach with both hands that way?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
there are hi-hats on the normal level. i guess it's just more logical for MM to have some up there when needed.

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
Well Jordan has thrown us a bone.

"Here is my notation from the Dream Theater writing sessions. Good luck!! :)"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEND9QHrvR/?hl=en&taken-by=jcrudess

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
Well Jordan has thrown us a bone.

"Here is my notation from the Dream Theater writing sessions. Good luck!! :)"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEND9QHrvR/?hl=en&taken-by=jcrudess

:lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »

Wow, that's so weird, thanks for pointing it out! Why on earth would he do that? Maybe its easier to reach with both hands that way?

My guess is that he is already practicing for the recording and one of the consistent issues they have had in previous sessions is how the cymbals were bleeding into the toms and vice versa. I guess they arw putting some distance now to address the problem.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »

My guess is that he is already practicing for the recording and one of the consistent issues they have had in previous sessions is how the cymbals were bleeding into the toms and vice versa. I guess they arw putting some distance now to address the problem.

If you enlarge this picture from JLB's Instagram, you can see that he still has 2 hi-hat's next to each rack tom on the sides.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »

If you enlarge this picture from JLB's Instagram, you can see that he still has 2 hi-hat's next to each rack tom on the sides.

Not really, those are his stacks, he uses 5 of them, from high to low. He only uses 4 hi hats (2 on each side), and all are on the high part of the kit.