Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216083 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
I could be wrong, but wasn't TOT the last time they demoed everything before going to record the album?

I believe you're right. 

Although you almost can't even call that demoing.  They wrote the songs in a practice space, had some live run throughs and then recorded them.  The "demos" released on Ytse Jam were just a live version of the songs with no vocals.  I'm unclear if they did in fact write vocals melodies at the time and just never put them down or if they waited to write that portion until after the songs were written.  I think it's the latter although James was in the practice space with them.

But remember that with TOT, they had an initial writing session (and they may have done SOME recording--I don't remember for sure), took a break (the Escape from the Studio Tour, with Queensryche and Fates Warning), and then went back into the studio to finish up.

So are you saying they wrote more once they left the practice space and entered the studio?  Because my understanding was they wrote the album minus Vacant in the rehearsal space, did the live run through (that is available on Ytsejam) and at that point entered the studio, did the tour, and then came back to the studio. 

So I thought the whole album minus Vacant was written and live demoed at the rehearsal space and then they entered the studio.
The whole album was written instrumentally in the rehearsal space, and recordings were made of all the songs. Then they went into the studio and recorded (I believe) the bulk of the music instrumentally. From there, they went on the Escape From the Studio Tour and wrote the lyrics (and I'm pretty sure the vocal melodies, since the vocal melodies were the responsibility of the one writing the lyrics). After the tour ended, they returned to the studio to finish up recording the instruments and all the vocals.

edit: And to be clear, I don't know where you got the idea that Vacant was written after the fact. That may have been the case with when WfS was written in relation to LtL, but not here. According to the liner notes for the ToT demos, Vacant was song #5, written before TDS and SoC.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 03:55:39 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
JP shared on social media that today is the first day of writing for DT14 :metal

The countdown has begun! Yeah, baby! :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2018, 03:31:05 AM »
DT is writing the next album, so I quote: "Destiny has shown his face, and now the time has coooome!"  :rollin

JP's video reminds me of the video they made during the SDOIT sessions especially when he said: "our home away from home" and "this is the room where all the magic takes place".

Jokes aside, I'm really excited that the fact they write the album ALL together is confirmed. Can't wait for DT14 to come out!

:metal :metal :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2018, 07:31:43 AM »
Everything is already feeling more fresh - new label, switching the writing/recording process....I think they’re gonna give us something great this time!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2018, 07:49:55 AM »
Everything is already feeling more fresh - new label, switching the writing/recording process....I think they’re gonna give us something great this time!

Well, it's been six years after all since they wrote a regular album. The freshness must be there!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »
This has me excited!
4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »

Well, I happen to think they ALWAYS give us something great.  But I do understand what you mean.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »

Well, I happen to think they ALWAYS give us something great.

Indeed :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2018, 10:17:24 AM »

Well, I happen to think they ALWAYS give us something great.  But I do understand what you mean.

Well as do I, I loved The Astonishing, and everything else

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
I hope we see a photo 5 man together in the house.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2018, 11:33:13 AM »
Something interesting I just noticed, there's no 8 string guitar on the video tour JP posted the other day. Since they're already writing the songs and EBMM hasn't made a prototype yet, I don't think JP will use an 8 string at all on this album, unless Jordan lets him borrow his...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »
Something interesting I just noticed, there's no 8 string guitar on the video tour JP posted the other day. Since they're already writing the songs and EBMM hasn't made a prototype yet, I don't think JP will use an 8 string at all on this album, unless Jordan lets him borrow his...

Maybe they'll use the 8 string during the arrangement sessions, for now they are only writing the music.. I also noticed that MM's drum kit is lacking the double bass, and the kit is smaller. Maybe they just write the album and then work on the arrangement later on, with the extended drum set and maybe the 8 string guitar..  :metal

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
Pretty pumped,I hope Petrucci keeps us updated throughout the process.

Looks like a nice place to make an album
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:42:55 PM by ariich »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
Random thought, but this will be the first "regular" DT album in five or six years. Don't get me wrong - The Astonishing is obviously a DT album and I really enjoyed it. But it was also an oddball, which is not a bad thing, but it might make this new record feel like more of an event.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »
DTF Meetup!! :metal

:rollin Damn I was just gonna write that, but I guess I was ninja'd :D

We know where they are! Let's go there!!!!!!!  :biggrin:

I'll be in NYC next week.  I can rent a car and drive up.  Next Friday?!

... untill one of them realizes you're stalking them and they release Beartrucci to go for you :lol

Or that it's two hours from NYC  :lol

I'm pretty excited the guys secluded themselves in a pretty scenic area together to work on this.  Something magical could be brewing in that barn.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
New album thread? Hell yeah I wanna be updated on this :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
Will they finally get a producer?  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
Will they finally get a producer?  ;D

I’d be quite satisfied if they got someone to co-produce the album with JP. Best of both worlds.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
I’d be quite satisfied if they got someone to co-produce the album with JP. Best of both worlds.

While I don't expect this to happen - I think it would be a really positive thing for the band. JP should continue to produce, IMO, he does a good job of steering the ship it seems. Where they need another voice is in the sonics of the album. If they could bring in a producer to help steer the sound of the record and balance out the sound, that would be very beneficial.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2018, 09:12:03 AM »

While I don't expect this to happen - I think it would be a really positive thing for the band. JP should continue to produce, IMO, he does a good job of steering the ship it seems. Where they need another voice is in the sonics of the album. If they could bring in a producer to help steer the sound of the record and balance out the sound, that would be very beneficial.

Bingo.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
Just clarifying something in the discussion - I highly doubt they are actually recording at this place.

JP made it seem like this was where they were writing and demoing everything. I'm assuming they will then travel elsewhere to start actual album tracking. That space and the equipment they have there certainly isn't up to the professional level DT would need to record proper.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »

JP made it seem like this was where they were writing and demoing everything. I'm assuming they will then travel elsewhere to start actual album tracking. That space and the equipment they have there certainly isn't up to the professional level DT would need to record proper.

Yeah....it definitely had a 'hang out' atmosphere going on. Looked to be a creative get away which is really cool.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2018, 09:38:20 PM »
Jordan posted a photo today captioned: "Keyboard World for the Dream Theater writing sessions." We also see a glimpse of JMX off to the side.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:49:31 PM by ariich »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
Jordan posted a photo today captioned: "Keyboard World for the Dream Theater writing sessions." We also see a glimpse of JMX off to the side.

But what we don't see a glimpse of is an iPad.  Did Derek get under his skin? Or maybe that is all Derek's equipment and Jordan is going to be his keyboard tech?

Sorry, I'm just really trying to guess some stuff off the wall stuff on the off chance the John throws a hissy fit and bans the entire world from ever listening to Dream Theater again but releases the album regardless just to spite all of us that can't listen to it. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:49:38 PM by ariich »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »

Jordan just posted this:

"And the riffs are flying"

Looks like Mike is not yet there?

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »

Jordan just posted this:

"And the riffs are flying"

Looks like Mike is not yet there?

In JR's instagram he posted a similar photo but with a clear view of the drum set, Mike included..

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54:41 PM »
On reflection, I don't think it's a very good idea to be guessing the band's location. I honestly don't even know if the guesses were correct, but if they are then I don't really want DTF to be the cause of a bunch of nerds turning up and disturbing the band from what is clearly deliberately quite a secluded writing space.

Not that I think any of our regulars would do so, but the forum is visible to anyone. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2018, 12:19:05 AM »

In JR's instagram he posted a similar photo but with a clear view of the drum set, Mike included..

I should signup for Instagram. Hehehe. Thanks.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2018, 05:08:38 AM »
On reflection, I don't think it's a very good idea to be guessing the band's location. I honestly don't even know if the guesses were correct, but if they are then I don't really want DTF to be the cause of a bunch of nerds turning up and disturbing the band from what is clearly deliberately quite a secluded writing space.

Not that I think any of our regulars would do so, but the forum is visible to anyone. :P

Now I understand why my post was "vaporized". Thank you Big Brother  ;)

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2018, 05:21:59 AM »

Agreed, this is an easily accessible and well known forum and this thought passed through my head as well.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2018, 05:57:24 AM »
So how long until someone deciphers what is on JR's music stand?  It's the DTF way...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2018, 06:50:10 AM »

I should signup for Instagram. Hehehe. Thanks.

Yeah, Jordan posted a much much better pic on intagram than he did on fb.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
Great to see the guys back in a room together jamming.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »
Here's his Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/jcrudess/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »
The only one we've not seen in the studio (correct me if i'm wrong) is James...