Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216076 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
Guys, guys, guys... No need to debate this, clearly the band should have released two versions of TA. The first being the version we all know with James singing all the parts. The second being a version with vocalists for each character. It would make like almost 5 hours of DT music. Win win.

Additional bonus disc on the super deluxe edition: a disc of covers of what was on Faythe's music player  :biggrin:

Technically, It's Bugs'/Nefaryus' music player.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »
I've always wanted more guest appearances but I'm not going to hold my breath. I really like the additions they brought to Falling Into Infinity for example and guest appearances on songs are usually nice. Would be cool for a single or something at least.

Oh god no. Wasn't there just one guest appearance on FII? And it was awful. (minority opinion here, I know...). Guest appearances can enhance a song, but I don't know if I want it from DT.

Yeah...I can't think of anything on FII other than the one guy who sang the "crown of thorns" line, and I agree with you that it was terrible.  That doesn't mean that future guest appearances can't be good.  However, I can't really think of many instance in which a band I liked had a "guest appearance" that I liked.  Fates Warning having Kevin Moore play keys on a couple of pre-APSOG songs (e.g., "At Fates Hands"), and when JLB sang BG vox on "Life in Still Water" are notable exceptions (although I can't really hear JLB on LiSW).  "The Spirit Carries On" worked well also, and I think maybe The Astonishing would have resonated more with me if there had been multiple vocalists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »
I don't understand why people think that FII guest spot is bad. I think it's pretty cool. Even if I didn't like it I think it would still be far from 'bad' or even 'awful' ...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
I don't understand why people think that FII guest spot is bad. I think it's pretty cool. Even if I didn't like it I think it would still be far from 'bad' or even 'awful' ...

Yeah, I'm with you.  Apparently, Doug Pinnick's voice is polarizing.  Why that is, I don't have any idea.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
Guys, guys, guys... No need to debate this, clearly the band should have released two versions of TA. The first being the version we all know with James singing all the parts. The second being a version with vocalists for each character. It would make like almost 5 hours of DT music. Win win.

Additional bonus disc on the super deluxe edition: a disc of covers of what was on Faythe's music player  :biggrin:

Technically, It's Bugs'/Nefaryus' music player.

Nefaryus Awesome Mix Volume 1

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »

Yeah, I'm with you.  Apparently, Doug Pinnick's voice is polarizing.  Why that is, I don't have any idea.  :dunno:

To Doug's credit, the song would have been equally bad without him.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »
Some bands handle guests really well.  Like Kamelot always seems to find a good younger female to feature on their albums and tour with them before moving onto someone else.  While I would welcome it from DT, they've never really came off as a band that has interest in using guests.  Maybe its better off they don't, also I have no issue with Pinnick in LitS, but I wasn't crazy about Hale in Our New World although I loved the idea/attempt at doing a TA song with a guest singer.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
After having heard him sing, the only guest vocalist I want on the new album is Jordan Rudess. Whenever there should be need for a backing vocal or an overlayed one, let's just have him for a little touch of variety, just like Portnoy was doing (but not as much, just a little addition for a single song as a novelty).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »
After having heard him sing, the only guest vocalist I want on the new album is Jordan Rudess. Whenever there should be need for a backing vocal or an overlayed one, let's just have him for a little touch of variety, just like Portnoy was doing (but not as much, just a little addition for a single song as a novelty).

I haven't heard his voice singing, but I'm all for this if he can do it live as well.  It would be cool to take away the piped in back up vocals and add a live voice.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »

I agree. Honestly I feel it adds to the song and fits the vibe well.

Offline Evai

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2018, 01:20:11 AM »
It was just an odd decision for a DT song, to have someone adlb after each line. I mean, can you imagine?

Pull me under (Pull me under oohh yeah yeah)
I'm not afraid (I'm noooot afraid, oooh yeah)
All that I feel (ALL THAT I FEEyyeeeal)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:47 AM »
It was just an odd decision for a DT song, to have someone adlb after each line. I mean, can you imagine?

PMU is a totally different beast from LitS. In LitS, I think it suits the song quite well and adds a texture that makes the song more interesting (it is already a very good song). The only whim I have is on the last chorus when Doug's voice saturates. I can't believe they could not solve the problem on production.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »

Have you heard the demo?  It wasn't "adlib".

Offline dparrott

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
JM does a capella renditions of the NOMAC tracks.

JP doing NOMAC tracks on guitar!!!   :metal :metal :metal  That's the kind of guitar effects I want to hear!  Pink Floyd did more atmospheric sounds 50 years ago than DT does now.  With today's technology, that could be mind blowing!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Evai

« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Have you heard the demo?  It wasn't "adlib".

I don't hear any 'yeah yeah yeahs' on the demo (I couldn't make it through the whole thing so I could be wrong though)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2018, 01:43:49 AM »

JP doing NOMAC tracks on guitar!!!   :metal :metal :metal  That's the kind of guitar effects I want to hear!  Pink Floyd did more atmospheric sounds 50 years ago than DT does now.  With today's technology, that could be mind blowing!

It's called the Misunderstood solo? :p

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2018, 06:25:03 AM »

I honestly think that those sound effects were so authentic and atmospheric BECAUSE they didn't have today's technology. PF had to put in a lot of effort to create that stuff. Now you can press on a button and a sound effect comes out. And the temptation to do that is just too high (see The Shaman's Trance).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »
I was right there with you up until you gave the example of The Shaman's Trance.  I literally have no idea what you are referring to there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Sorry, I meant Bridges In The Sky. I mean the Shaman's voice in the beginning and the choir. Those effects are fine, but they could have been better in my opinion. Maybe I am wrong, but would it be so incredibly hard to find a Shaman (or someone who actually has such a voice) somewhere? Or ask a local choir to record half a minute of agnus dei? Sure, they wouldn't be sound "effects" anymore, but Pink Floyd couldn't push a key on a keyboard and the ringing of an alarm clock came out.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
whoooooooooooooooooa
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
I knew what song you meant, I just didn't know what you were referring to in the song.  Yeah, I guess I get where you are coming from.  For some reason, I was remembering that it was a recording of someone actually doing those chants in proper voice, and that Jordan had gotten it from a stock sound library.  But I think I was actually misremembering, and that you are right.  I seem to recall Jordan saying that he found the effects patch that does that, which is what he used.  But in any case, whether that is correct or not, I get your point.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
Yeah, as I found out recently when I heard the exact same "Agnus Dei" choir (albeit pitched in a different key) at the beginning of The Flower Kings' track Sword of God (off The Rainmaker). In fact, the album begins with a throat singer that sounds a lot like DT's shaman.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
Yea, both of those sounds are (I believe) part of Omnisphere. I know I've come across them when I use it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
Yea, both of those sounds are (I believe) part of Omnisphere. I know I've come across them when I use it.

Bingo!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »
Maybe I am wrong, but would it be so incredibly hard to find a Shaman (or someone who actually has such a voice) somewhere?
whoooooooooooooooooa

Mike Portnoy?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
whoooooooooooooooooa

I put that on at a bar once with one of those internet jukeboxes. The bartender went over to the machine and unplugged it and screamed "Where are we? The fucking rainforest cafe?!"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
whoooooooooooooooooa

I put that on at a bar once with one of those internet jukeboxes. The bartender went over to the machine and unplugged it and screamed "Where are we? The fucking rainforest cafe?!"

I also had a bar tender unplug the internet jukebox on me for playing a DT song  :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
whoooooooooooooooooa

I also had a bar tender unplug the internet jukebox on me for playing a DT song  :rollin

I once put Metropolis and ACoS on at a pizza place where my son's baseball team was having a gathering.  It was fun to see two or three faces light up when they recognized the song.  I might have gone postal if someone had unplugged the jukebox.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
  Maybe I am wrong, but would it be so incredibly hard to find a Shaman (or someone who actually has such a voice) somewhere?
Perhaps James Earl Jones?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
JP posted a video on his facebook of the scenery at the studio.  Looks like they are mostly set up to start writing and demoing  :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
Perhaps James Earl Jones?

It would be so prog of them to go find a true blue shaman and have him record vox  :justjen

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
JP posted a video on his facebook of the scenery at the studio.  Looks like they are mostly set up to start writing and demoing  :metal :metal

https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/videos/1974052929313376/

Also, check out Mangini's drums. Only one bass drum (probably with double pedal). Everything looks very nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
So last week, we were talking about little video bits, and BAM, here it is!

So while I think JP is a master of "corporate speak" and saying nothing, there is a certain genuineness about him, and he seems genuinely excited for this. That has me excited.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
So last week, we were talking about little video bits, and BAM, here it is!

So while I think JP is a master of "corporate speak" and saying nothing, there is a certain genuineness about him, and he seems genuinely excited for this. That has me excited.

Ditto.

It reminds me a little of Bear Tracks.  Any idea where this is?