Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 215215 times)

Offline goo-goo

From James' FB

Hey Everyone,
Well, getting excited as we (DT) go into the studio just less than 2 weeks to create our next disc.
In the meantime check out this podcast I did with Tee Todd, the host of Centerstage.

https://www.centerstageshow.com/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:13:18 AM by goo-goo »

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »
From James' FB

Hey Everyone,
Well, getting excited as we (DT) go into the studio just less than 2 weeks to create our next disc.
In the meantime check out this podcast I did with Tee Todd, the host of Centerstage.

https://www.centerstageshow.com/

Let the DTF spy games begin!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Awesome!  :metal

Hopefully they keep us updated this time around. With TA they were keeping things under wraps, which I get, this time it would be great to get some clips of the band in studio.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
I agree. I think it'd be great to keep the fans engaged throughout the process.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
> goes into studio halfway through June
> James can't make ProgPower because he'll be in studio

that's like 2.5 months in the studio wtf come on James :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »

Yeah, like I said, with TA I kinda get it. But this time around documenting this stuff and engaging the base would really be beneficial. New label for this record too, right? You'd think they'd be thinking the same thing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »

Yeah, like I said, with TA I kinda get it. But this time around documenting this stuff and engaging the base would really be beneficial. New label for this record too, right? You'd think they'd be thinking the same thing.

Completely agree with you. There's no need to post long, super detailed updates, just small clips and snippets here and there to keep the fans excited for the new material. And, I could be wrong on this, but I think IO is better at promoting this kind of stuff as opposed to RR, so it looks like a good start to me.

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
yeah get back to those 6doit small movies kinda thing. Have the music be as different and kickass as that album was. I'd be all for this :-)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »

Completely agree with you. There's no need to post long, super detailed updates, just small clips and snippets here and there to keep the fans excited for the new material. And, I could be wrong on this, but I think IO is better at promoting this kind of stuff as opposed to RR, so it looks like a good start to me.

I don't know if IO is better at it, but DT is pretty much the "big" band on their label, where as they weren't with RR. So hopefully that means IO gives them some real attention and starts the promotion during the writing and recording of the record.

Offline JLa

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »
Heh, for the first time ever (I've been a fan since SFAM) I don't really care. Sure, I'm gonna pick up the new album when it comes out, but I don't have any expectations or whatever. TA made me completely lose interest, and I haven't really been listening that much to the other MM-era ones either.

But come on DT, surprise me. I would be thrilled.  :coolio
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:50:13 PM by JLa »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »
Oh yeah! Album cycle number 14, let's do this baby!  :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
Heh, for the first time since 6DOIT (the first album I waited for, I discovered them after SFAM was released), I don't really care. Sure, I'm gonna pick up the new album when it comes out, but I don't have any expectations or whatever. TA made me completely lose interest, and I haven't really been listening that much to the other MM-era ones either.

Same here. But I think there will be no surprise.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
Saw James’ post earlier today and was very excited. I can’t wait to see what direction they go with this album. Although I do really like TA for what it is, I’m hoping for a very different direction with this album. Regardless, I can’t wait!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
I am not a social media guy, but isn't this a bit of a weak way to say announce this? No announcement from the band, management, their label? Just a 2 sentence comment on the singer's fb page?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »
Not really.  I mean, I'm not sure "we just want to pre-announce that, in two weeks, we will be in the studio" needs any fanfare.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
Maybe. I don't do twitterfacegram, so I don't know how these announcements should work. I just feel that a band having a set date they are going to hit the studio to record a new album warrants a tiny bit more fanfare. But going back to MP's time in the band I found it a bit strange most of the news and announcements started out on Mike's personal web page.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
Prior to Train of Thought, I'm not sure they ever actually did announce that they were in the studio.  And even after that, I don't recall anything "formal" for a lot of the albums.  I mean, we found out at some point that they were in the studio, or after the fact, found out that they had been.  But I don't really recall anything formal.  And I don't think most bands do that either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »
I thought in 2018 when a member of a band has the sniffles it gets posted to social media, then Blabbermouth runs an article on it, then the other band members have to put out a press release saying said band member just has a cold, he is not being kicked out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
I thought in 2018 when a member of a band has the sniffles it gets posted to social media, then Blabbermouth runs an article on it, then the other band members have to put out a press release saying said band member just has a cold, he is not being kicked out.

But MP's not in Dream Theater anymore.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 07:06:50 PM »
Hopefully we can get a Making of DVD now that DT is with Inside Out. I/O likes those special edition releases.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »
Hopefully we can get a Making of DVD now that DT is with Inside Out. I/O likes those special edition releases.

I’m with you on this one. I’d really like to see that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 08:02:44 PM »
I have been looking for this every time I check the forums.   :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
I would love to see a "making of a song" video, i.e. from composition to recording to mixing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
I would love to see a "making of a song" video, i.e. from composition to recording to mixing.

I feel like it would be a video with almost no dialogue. JR plays a riff, JP nods, learns it and expands and they just keep doing this for a few hours. Eventually JM walks in and JR hands him sheet music to learn. MM is no where to be seen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
Not really.  I mean, I'm not sure "we just want to pre-announce that, in two weeks, we will be in the studio" needs any fanfare.

Maybe you lesser fans don't care. But me? I want to know where they are and what they're doing at all times. And because of that unjust "restraining" order that I bet the lawyers did and the band didn't even know about, I have to rely on social media.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »

Maybe you less fans don't care. But me? I want to know where they are and what they're doing at all times. And because of that unjust "restraining" order that I bet the lawyers did and the band didn't even know about, I have to rely on social media.

:rollin

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 02:57:09 AM »
Oh for the days when the first time you knew a band had entered the studio to record a new album was when you saw said album in a record store...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 05:11:46 AM »
Heh, for the first time since 6DOIT (the first album I waited for, I discovered them after SFAM was released), I don't really care. Sure, I'm gonna pick up the new album when it comes out, but I don't have any expectations or whatever. TA made me completely lose interest, and I haven't really been listening that much to the other MM-era ones either.

Same here. But I think there will be no surprise.

All of this.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »

Yup, me too. Metallica pretty much has done this for their last two records. Really interesting to watch.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »
I am not a social media guy, but isn't this a bit of a weak way to say announce this? No announcement from the band, management, their label? Just a 2 sentence comment on the singer's fb page?

Maybe. I don't do twitterfacegram, so I don't know how these announcements should work. I just feel that a band having a set date they are going to hit the studio to record a new album warrants a tiny bit more fanfare. But going back to MP's time in the band I found it a bit strange most of the news and announcements started out on Mike's personal web page.

Speaking only for myself, in slightly over 35 years of being a consumer of popular/rock music, I cannot remember any band/artist other than DT ever "formally" announcing that he/she/it was going into the studio (and I'm reasonably active on Facebook and have a Twitter account that I rarely check, much less use).  That said, it makes perfect sense to me that "we're going into the studio on such and such day" announcements show up on the individual band members' social media (if anywhere).  Of course, I view the "we're going into the studio" stuff more or less the same as I view the draft in a sports league.  Just let me know whom my team picked and whether he's any good and when the season starts.  Likewise, just let me know when the album is available.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »

Speaking only for myself, in slightly over 35 years of being a consumer of popular/rock music, I cannot remember any band/artist other than DT ever "formally" announcing that he/she/it was going into the studio (and I'm reasonably active on Facebook and have a Twitter account that I rarely check, much less use).  That said, it makes perfect sense to me that "we're going into the studio on such and such day" announcements show up on the individual band members' social media (if anywhere).  Of course, I view the "we're going into the studio" stuff more or less the same as I view the draft in a sports league.  Just let me know whom my team picked and whether he's any good and when the season starts.  Likewise, just let me know when the album is available.

That's really interesting, because I see it happen all the time! It's not just prog and metal groups either, I've seen a few pop stars and alternative rock bands indicate that they're writing or recording a new album or EP on social media (usually Insta, Twitter, or SnapChat--facebook and YouTube I've seen are mostly for more "formal" announcements). Maybe it's just the bands we listen to lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
JLB: Hey, we're going into the studio to make a new album

DTFer 1: Ugh why did they even announce this?

DTFer 2: Ugh why didn't they announce this on their band page?

And I bet you, if DT were totally silent between now and album release, DTFer 1 would be the first to whinge about them not interacting with the fans enough. 

Honestly... :facepalm: You can't win with some people.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
They're in the studio?  Wow!! Really??  I never would've guessed after 2 years since the last release.  That's unbelievable!! I coulda had a V8. :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 12:09:59 AM »
Oh dear DT gods please hear my two prayers :
-I wish we hear the bass in the mix
-I wish we hear the drums in the mix, including cymbals, and with a real drum sound like in "into the great divide" from mangini

Gloria gloria

:D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 06:28:49 AM »
Oh dear DT gods please hear my two prayers :
-I wish we hear the bass in the mix
-I wish we hear the drums in the mix, including cymbals, and with a real drum sound like in "into the great divide" from mangini

Gloria gloria

:D

Hah, yeah agreed. Speaking of which - has there been any word as to who will be engineering the record? I assume Rich but here's hoping they switch it up...