Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 215244 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1820 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »
What do Roadrunner have to do with this?
That's a DTF inside joke of sort.  Quote the post to see what the secret code is.
I forgot about that  :lol What release were we waiting on?
Pretty sure it was DT12

Wasn't it Live At Luna Park?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1821 on: October 13, 2018, 01:09:11 AM »
That's a DTF inside joke of sort.  Quote the post to see what the secret code is.
Pretty sure it was DT12

:D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1822 on: October 13, 2018, 01:28:27 AM »
Pretty sure it was DT12

Probably not, it was released via Eagle Rock.

I didn't see many problems in DT's distribution concerning RRR, but unfortunately I saw the mess they are during Opeth's Pale Communion promotion...

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: October 13, 2018, 01:58:19 AM »
Pretty sure it was DT12

Yeah, I remember when the press release said soon and after 3 months we still got nothing  :D There was a bit frustration and joking about it here, they just kept saying soon :soon:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1824 on: October 13, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »
They should write, example, a full 2-minutes song whenever they feel like doing it, not just because the plot of an album demands it.

If they were to take away one aspect from The Astonishing, I would want it to be this.  The story of Astonishing mandated some short pieces, but I think it'd be great if they wrote a few every now and again outside of a concept album.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1825 on: October 14, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
I had a dream last night that the album title was revealed to be 'Venom'  :biggrin: There was also a black and yellow/gold theme.  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1826 on: October 14, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
I had a dream last night that the album title was revealed to be 'Venom'  :biggrin: There was also a black and yellow/gold theme.  :coolio

I think your mind just combined Haken’s upcoming album with Sony’s latest superhero movie and assigned it to DT :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1827 on: October 14, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »

That’s a Bullet For My Valentine album.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #1828 on: November 07, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »
Has anyone heard about what options there will be for buying physical media?
I'm wondering what kind of box set, "earbook", or LP packages there will be.

They are on a new label now, so this could be interesting!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1829 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »

I missed this. Who are they on now?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1830 on: November 07, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »

I missed this. Who are they on now?

They’re with Inside Out/Sony now.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!
« Reply #1831 on: November 07, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Thx!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

Offline madscot

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #1833 on: November 08, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »
Heh, for the first time ever (I've been a fan since SFAM) I don't really care. Sure, I'm gonna pick up the new album when it comes out, but I don't have any expectations or whatever. TA made me completely lose interest, and I haven't really been listening that much to the other MM-era ones either.

But come on DT, surprise me. I would be thrilled.  :coolio

Me too, will treat the new album with respect when it comes out but have no expectations for the first time since Images and words.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1834 on: November 08, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
the more I'm listening to haken's vector vs visions, the more I pray DOT isn't predominantly heavy over melodic
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1835 on: November 09, 2018, 07:00:26 AM »
I don't see it being super heavy album a la Train Of Thought.  I think when the band is saying this will be heavier, they mean heavier than The Astonishing which wouldn't be too hard.  Will be surprised if it's any heavier than ADTOE for example.  I have no way of knowing this obviously, just a feeling that this will be a standard DT album, heavy, melodic, technical in equal measures.

Offline rab7

« Reply #1836 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
I don't see it being super heavy album a la Train Of Thought.  I think when the band is saying this will be heavier, they mean heavier than The Astonishing which wouldn't be too hard.  Will be surprised if it's any heavier than ADTOE for example.  I have no way of knowing this obviously, just a feeling that this will be a standard DT album, heavy, melodic, technical in equal measures.

I'm gonna go further and speculate that it'll be about as heavy as the heaviest parts of ADTOE and DT12

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1837 on: November 09, 2018, 04:31:58 PM »
I think the heavier moments will be a blend of TOT and DT12, and there will be many of them. I'm hoping for some beautiful and fresh sounding clean tones from JP as well.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1838 on: November 14, 2018, 08:05:31 AM »
Question from a drummer's perspective.

Mangini's bass drum set up has changed. Notice there was only one bass drum in the studio. That's common and drummers use a double pedal a lot for many reasons (not having to tune 2 bass drums, not having to mic 2 bass drums, etc.). However, his bass drum was placed in the center (not offset to the right or left) and it seemed he was using an ergonomic pedal set up. Does Pearl make them, did he use another brand, or did he modify the Pearl pedals?

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #1839 on: November 14, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
I know Pearl doesn't offer anything like that standard, he must have been using another brand, something like these:

https://reverb.com/item/11184364-offset-double-bass-drum-pedal-ergonomic-symmetrical-centered

Another interesting change is that all his hi hats were raised up super high, like where the crashes are. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1840 on: November 14, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Mike uses a standard Pearl Demon Drive pedal (double or 2 singles). I think he said he plays tilted to the left side.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1841 on: November 14, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
I know Pearl doesn't offer anything like that standard, he must have been using another brand, something like these:

https://reverb.com/item/11184364-offset-double-bass-drum-pedal-ergonomic-symmetrical-centered

Another interesting change is that all his hi hats were raised up super high, like where the crashes are.

I wonder how Mike will be able to play those fast combinations of right and left hi-hats with the snare, with the hi-hats placed like this :omg:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1842 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »

I wonder how Mike will be able to play those fast combinations of right and left hi-hats with the snare, with the hi-hats placed like this :omg:

I was wondering the same about the hi-hats. Thy seemed too high up for my taste and I think it would kill my shoulders if I were playing those. Sometimes a change in set up can inspire you behind the kit. I'm curious if we will see the same studio set up on tour.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1843 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »
I was wondering the same about the hi-hats. Thy seemed too high up for my taste and I think it would kill my shoulders if I were playing those. Sometimes a change in set up can inspire you behind the kit. I'm curious if we will see the same studio set up on tour.

He will. He posted this a while back https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/photos/a.114728775242556/1889951844386898/?type=3&theater where he basically says he got a new kit from Pearl but they wrote the album so fast that he couldn't get it in time for the recording. We can't see the kit, but we can see the upper side of the rack and he has the same hi-hat and ride placement as with his studio kit.

Last week, he also posted this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp0BOSBhmy1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1zk9cvi5wnlu&fbclid=IwAR1DSonGcX3IdzaUhiNeGkTBqvZuwlagWJnV0bNel3s8oHRauUevw76UTVA
It's his home kit (the one he used on the ADTOE tour) and is set up in the same way, only with two bass drums instead of one.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1844 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
Thanks for the links! Man, the cymbals look so high up. For me it would be exhausting to play cymbals that high. Again, to each his own on kit set ups.