Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216148 times)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1540 on: September 19, 2018, 06:51:40 AM »
Going by the above timeline then I guess: album title in October, tracklist/artwork in Nov, single in Dec and album release in Jan. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1541 on: September 19, 2018, 06:59:33 AM »
Does anyone remember how the self titled album was announced? The Astonishing was one of a kind in its unveiling so it doesn't really count; what happened for the previous album? it was just announced that it would be self titled? did we get cover art, title AND tracklist at the same time?
A press-release -announcing the title and release date- appeared on the band's and Roadrunner's websites on June 6th:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130609165106/https://www.dreamtheater.net:80/board_posts/new-dream-theater-studio-album-out-on-september-24th
https://web.archive.org/web/20130608221131/https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/dream-theater-album-20130605

That same day, the first of a few video docummentaries appeared on the band's and Roadrunner's YouTube channels:
https://youtu.be/EIjhQhm1JvU
https://youtu.be/Xc_1fwJmBk8

You can check out DTF's fan reactions starting from here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35260.msg1587311#msg1587311

The artwork and tracklist were revealed on the band's website on July 9th:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130714031638/https://www.dreamtheater.net:80/board_posts/dream-theater-cover-and-track-listing-revealed

You can check out DTF's fan reactions -specially about the artwork :facepalm:- starting from here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37913.msg1611991#msg1611991

Excellent summary, thank you!

jonny108 is probably right about how it will go down this time...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1542 on: September 19, 2018, 07:17:02 AM »
Excellent summary, thank you!
No problem! I'm putting together a document about the 'treasure hunt' and DT's (and DT's fan communities) history on the Internet, so I've been doing a lot of research, making timelines, etc. If I can help with something else, let me know!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1543 on: September 19, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
Going by the above timeline then I guess: album title in October, tracklist/artwork in Nov, single in Dec and album release in Jan.

I hope so, because we're almost in October!  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1544 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »

If that has anything to do with the treasure hunt, then we’ll probably know it in 3-4 weeks :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1545 on: September 19, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »

If that has anything to do with the treasure hunt, then we’ll probably know it in 3-4 weeks :metal

Yeah, baby, yeah!!! :metal
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1546 on: September 19, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »

Yeah, baby, yeah!!! :metal

BLABBERMOUTH.NET: Progressive metal titans DREAM THEATER set to release upcoming album “Yeah, baby, yeah!!!” in January 2019.

This is what a devoted fan of the band had to say on the upcoming album: SO ENERGY!! POWAH!!! YEAH!!!!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1547 on: September 19, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
We all know that, according to the Treasure Hunt, the album will be called YIKES! xD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1548 on: September 19, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
A little birdie told me the album is actually called "History."

They've been making it for the last few months.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: September 19, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »
Holy crap please please please call the album "Making History." Then embark on a worldwide tour called the "... And You? Tour"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: September 19, 2018, 11:32:11 PM »
Holy crap please please please call the album "Making History." Then embark on a worldwide tour called the "... And You? Tour"

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1551 on: September 19, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »
:rollin :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #1552 on: September 20, 2018, 02:15:36 AM »

:rollin

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1553 on: September 20, 2018, 04:59:06 AM »

:|

(Sorry. Had to be done. This did genuinely make me laugh.) This autumn is impressive enough as far as new releases go. And that's even without the presumed release of new DT album news through its course.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:25:17 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1554 on: September 20, 2018, 05:05:31 AM »

:|

This is even funnier!

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1555 on: September 20, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »

This may be the best thing I've ever read on this forum. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1556 on: September 20, 2018, 06:58:38 AM »

Well done sir

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1557 on: September 20, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »

This may be the best thing I've ever read on this forum.

Agreed.  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1558 on: September 20, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1559 on: September 20, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
James finished vocals, see here: https://www.facebook.com/officialjameslabrie/posts/2236106726431538?__xts__[0]=68.ARCQN-FGaZy7Xw2qgbqosRIxIz8JI1eKfrMgxke7rX00FOICAwcvdYw0Ag1g9qCqATFhTsC53Rv8mEnlnQfmk2JAFSutztjf4YKSVT6hSLVrMTsHv9EArLZwAGDMkBLkje2zNjQNKmc_mZ4UgJw5ZEcP_L2Zq1WfkjKkdxURm15USm1IodpcXA&__tn__=-R (what's strange about the post is that Petruccinator's complete finish post was on Sept. 14th)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1560 on: September 20, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
At first I thought he just finished vocals today, but now I see it more as a “just to let you know that I already finished my vocals for the album” post, and he’s just hyping things up. Either way, I just want them to start mixing the album very soon :metal

Offline rab7

« Reply #1561 on: September 20, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
At first I thought he just finished vocals today, but now I see it more as a “just to let you know that I already finished my vocals for the album” post, and he’s just hyping things up. Either way, I just want them to start mixing the album very soon :metal

It is possible that they left the studio but James still had some small things to complete that he did at his own place (If I remember correctly, he sometimes records vocals in Canada), and just finished today

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1562 on: September 20, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »

Well done sir

+1  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1563 on: September 20, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »

Have they done overdubs and what not?  Or would that be done during the mixing?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1564 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »

Overdubs are nothing more than other extra recordings, so they have to be done before the mixing process.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1565 on: September 20, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
Wonder why we didn’t get any pics or anything of him recording. He’s been completely under wraps from the other guys. I know he likes privacy while he does his thing, but still lol

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1566 on: September 20, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Wonder why we didn’t get any pics or anything of him recording. He’s been completely under wraps from the other guys. I know he likes privacy while he does his thing, but still lol

They might be keeping it stealthy for the deluxe edition bonus DVD with the making of DT14 + commentaries  :lol

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1567 on: September 20, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
On August 24th, JP posted that he was done with guitar tracking:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm4OQooBTsR

But, if you check out some of his pictures from September, you get the feeling that he was still recording. I assume he did do overdubs.

In fact, he had said he still needed to work on some solos on August 23rd:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm1pbg7nglf

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1568 on: September 21, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »
The guy they've got engineering this album, James Meslin, is great. Really hope they get him to mix the record too. I've just been checking out some of the stuff he's done on his website/Soundcloud - https://www.jamesmeslinaudio.com/ Sounds fantastic.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1569 on: September 21, 2018, 06:38:15 PM »
The guy they've got engineering this album, James Meslin, is great. Really hope they get him to mix the record too. I've just been checking out some of the stuff he's done on his website/Soundcloud - https://www.jamesmeslinaudio.com/ Sounds fantastic.

He seems to have engineered and produced DT's cover of Rush's Xanadu in 2017.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1570 on: September 21, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »

If not it's pretty darn close. That was awesome!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1571 on: September 24, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
James Meslin just posted this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoHsp5MhD-z/?taken-by=james_meslin

So he's still in the same studio, and it looks like he might be mixing the album already :metal

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1572 on: September 24, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm sure someone mentioned it already, but what is a good album that he has mixed so I can hear how his work sounds like?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1573 on: September 24, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1574 on: September 24, 2018, 02:29:40 PM »
Xanadu https://www.jamesmeslinaudio.com/

I'm far from understanding how mixing works, but if this is any indication of how DT14 may sound like, then I'm in for a treat!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:36:16 PM by RMGadelha »