Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216202 times)

Offline Kocak

Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1505 on: September 15, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Do they usually take a break after the recording is done or is it straight to mixing?

I think it depends on who’s going to mix it and his schedule.

Or her. Could be Sylvia Massy  :lol

I wonder what the chances are of them using Nolly for this album

Wishful thinking I guess..

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1506 on: September 15, 2018, 02:34:05 PM »
Exciting news. At this rate we could be on track for a Jan or Feb release.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1507 on: September 15, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
Do they usually take a break after the recording is done or is it straight to mixing?

I think it depends on who’s going to mix it and his schedule.

Or her. Could be Sylvia Massy  :lol

I wonder what the chances are of them using Nolly for this album

Wishful thinking I guess..

I’d be very happy if it was Nolly, Jens Bogren or Kevin Shirley.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1508 on: September 15, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
Who the heck is Nolly?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1509 on: September 15, 2018, 08:26:39 PM »
Who the heck is Nolly?

Former bass player from Periphery. He has mixed the last one or two Devin Townsend records and most of the Periphery discography. I prefer his mixes over Steven Wilson’s. He has a great ear for mixing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1510 on: September 15, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
Nolly is a beast when it comes to mixing albums, specially drums :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1511 on: September 16, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »
Who the heck is Nolly?

Former bass player from Periphery. He has mixed the last one or two Devin Townsend records and most of the Periphery discography. I prefer his mixes over Steven Wilson’s. He has a great ear for mixing.

He also did a VERY good job with He Is Legend's "few", Animals As Leaders' "The Joy of Motion" and some Good Tiger releases.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1512 on: September 17, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »
As I said before, and now it's even more correct - we're now in that limbo phase where it's only logical to call The Astonishing the last DT albums, but there are five guys who happen to disagree. And those five guys are the DT members, who have a finished product in their hands of which they know title, songs, general direction and, if not already the artwork, they most likely have an idea of what they want for it.

There is a DT14 out there!!! it's just not ready for the world yet, but the successor to The Astonishing already exists!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1513 on: September 17, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
Who the heck is Nolly?

He also did a VERY good job with He Is Legend's "few", Animals As Leaders' "The Joy of Motion" and some Good Tiger releases.

Nolly mixed and engineered the new Architects song as well. The single sounds killer.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1514 on: September 17, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
As I said before, and now it's even more correct - we're now in that limbo phase where it's only logical to call The Astonishing the last DT albums, but there are five guys who happen to disagree. And those five guys are the DT members, who have a finished product in their hands of which they know title, songs, general direction and, if not already the artwork, they most likely have an idea of what they want for it.

There is a DT14 out there!!! it's just not ready for the world yet, but the successor to The Astonishing already exists!

And this is very exciting! :metal
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1515 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
I agree! I especially hope that this album will be to Mike what Scenes/Six Degrees were to Jordan. I remember before the self-titled album was released, I think it was JP that mentionned that the album would be Mangini unleashed. But I think it's this upcoming one will truly show Mangini unleashed. The fact that he was given or took the opportunity to contribute to the lyrics side of things makes me hopeful that his musical contribution will be felt.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #1516 on: September 17, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
Nolly mixed and engineered the new Architects song as well. The single sounds killer.

Just listened to it.. Amazing production  :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1517 on: September 17, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
I agree! I especially hope that this album will be to Mike what Scenes/Six Degrees were to Jordan. I remember before the self-titled album was released, I think it was JP that mentionned that the album would be Mangini unleashed. But I think it's this upcoming one will truly show Mangini unleashed. The fact that he was given or took the opportunity to contribute to the lyrics side of things makes me hopeful that his musical contribution will be felt.

I really hope you are right because as amazing as Mangini is, the last 3 album have just shown technicality, not creativity( not that they haven’t been great albums, but I would like to see more of him as a creative mind)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1518 on: September 18, 2018, 01:48:46 AM »
Couldn’t disagree more, I thought the drumming on The Astonishing was incredibly creative.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1519 on: September 18, 2018, 02:50:38 AM »

I really hope you are right because as amazing as Mangini is, the last 3 album have just shown technicality, not creativity( not that they haven’t been great albums, but I would like to see more of him as a creative mind)

What is creativity? Isn't creativity about thinking of new ways of playing, especially unorthodox parts?

Thinking of doing blast beats to a swingjazz portion, isn't that creative?

Thinking of playing two drum rolls at once to simulate a marching band, isn't that creative?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1520 on: September 18, 2018, 04:41:58 AM »

What is creativity? Isn't creativity about thinking of new ways of playing, especially unorthodox parts?

Thinking of playing two drum rolls at once to simulate a marching band, isn't that creative?

Totally agree there.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1521 on: September 18, 2018, 05:03:27 AM »
green is not a creative color
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1522 on: September 18, 2018, 05:23:47 AM »

Totally agree there.

I agree as well, Mangini's playing might not be everyone's thing, but it is undeniable that it's incredibly creative. Just watch that Enemy Inside video on youtube where he does a playthrough. I mean, THAT is incredibly well thought through and there's so many awesome things in this one song alone. It's the sound that makes some of his stuff sound stiff or "too perfect" in my opinion. But I really don't want to start another Mangini's-drumsound-discussion.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1523 on: September 18, 2018, 05:53:44 AM »

I'm thinking of it as DT13, the successor to the self-titled DT12. I'm trying to blot The A*******ing from my memory...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1524 on: September 18, 2018, 05:57:45 AM »

I'm thinking of it as DT13, the successor to the self-titled DT12. I'm trying to blot The A*******ing from my memory...

I'll try to blot your comment from my memory.

:biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1525 on: September 18, 2018, 06:06:39 AM »

The Asssssssing
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: September 18, 2018, 06:10:25 AM »

:tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1527 on: September 18, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »
Quote from: Fritzinger
I agree as well, Mangini's playing might not be everyone's thing, but it is undeniable that it's incredibly creative. Just watch that Enemy Inside video on youtube where he does a playthrough. I mean, THAT is incredibly well thought through and there's so many awesome things in this one song alone. It's the sound that makes some of his stuff sound stiff or "too perfect" in my opinion. But I really don't want to start another Mangini's-drumsound-discussion.

I am not even talking about The Walking Shadow here.

I think one of the problems was when it was reported that JP wrote the drum parts for ADTOE, a lot thought that JP literally composed how the drums would be played and Mangini just followed then. Given how creative the ADTOE drum parts turned out, some even began spouting the nonsense that JP is more creative than MM in writing drum parts. But it has been repeatedly cleared many times that JP wrote very basic drum parts. Like would JP have written those polyrhythms in the intro of OTBOA? Or that crazy upbeat on the hihats on 4/4 while playing 54321 om snare and bass in BAI? Or that Outcry instrumental? Or the footwork in LNF? Or the whole BITS?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1528 on: September 18, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »

I'll try to blot your comment from my memory.

:biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1529 on: September 18, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
Quote from: Fritzinger

I am not even talking about The Walking Shadow here.

I think one of the problems was when it was reported that JP wrote the drum parts for ADTOE, a lot thought that JP literally composed how the drums would be played and Mangini just followed then. Given how creative the ADTOE drum parts turned out, some even began spouting the nonsense that JP is more creative than MM in writing drum parts. But it has been repeatedly cleared many times that JP wrote very basic drum parts. Like would JP have written those polyrhythms in the intro of OTBOA? Or that crazy upbeat on the hihats on 4/4 while playing 54321 om snare and bass in BAI? Or that Outcry instrumental? Or the footwork in LNF? Or the whole BITS?

I agree with your point but I wouldn't say he wrote "very basic" parts. I remember him saying he had a lot of fun with it and got into writing some cool drum stuff. Mike even admitted at times what petrucci did is exactly what he would have done. Granted, there's a lot there I doubt petrucci wrote so mangini still deserves a lot of credit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1530 on: September 18, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
Petrucci himself said that all he wrote were "very basic parts."  And he has said that more than once. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1531 on: September 18, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
Petrucci himself said that all he wrote were "very basic parts."  And he has said that more than once.

Ok.  He also said he spent a lot of time with the drum machine and had fun trying different things. 

Mike Mangini also said some things he didn't change because he would have played them the same way and other things he had free rein on and got really creative. 

They both said that more than once. 

What's your point?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1532 on: September 18, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
"The important thing to stress, however, is that John didn't program all the drum parts that I would play, and I didn't play them note-for-note. He created outlines for me. Some things I played as they were, other things I changed, and in some cases he and I tried something totally different."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1533 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
"The important thing to stress, however, is that John didn't program all the drum parts that I would play, and I didn't play them note-for-note. He created outlines for me. Some things I played as they were, other things I changed, and in some cases he and I tried something totally different."

That's pretty much what I was referring to.  Thanks for finding that. 

There was another one with John where he talked more in depth about it than any other time (which was still only a paragraphs worth) and he even named the drum program he used.  He talked about getting into the programming which made me think it may have been a bit more extensive than we all first thought.  I did a quick search and couldn't find that.  Regardless, Mangini clearly left his own footprint and did an amazing job.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1534 on: September 18, 2018, 09:45:10 PM »
Yes, which is why I said John did just basic drum parts which is why Mangini referred to it as an outline.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1535 on: September 18, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
And yet, when you hear JP describe the process, the impression you get is not that it is super basic.

https://youtu.be/-QaHdj4GTL8

I mean - superior drummer is a pretty advanced drum sequencer, and the “simpler version”, ezdrummer is what devin Townsend used for the ziltoid album, and meshuggah for the catch 33 album. Superior let’s you make drum tracks that sound like real drums in a very short while.

That being said, doesn’t mean that the stuff Mangini did wasn’t worlds beyond what JP programmed.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1536 on: September 18, 2018, 10:43:47 PM »
And yet, when you hear JP describe the process, the impression you get is not that it is super basic.

https://youtu.be/-QaHdj4GTL8

I mean - superior drummer is a pretty advanced drum sequencer, and the “simpler version”, ezdrummer is what devin Townsend used for the ziltoid album, and meshuggah for the catch 33 album. Superior let’s you make drum tracks that sound like real drums in a very short while.

That being said, doesn’t mean that the stuff Mangini did wasn’t worlds beyond what JP programmed.

So the album sounded killer even before Mangini got involved according to John and Roadrunner.  I would say that's a few steps beyond "very basic" but I still have no doubt that Mangini brought it to the next level and then some.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1537 on: September 19, 2018, 03:03:44 AM »
Does anyone remember how the self titled album was announced? The Astonishing was one of a kind in its unveiling so it doesn't really count; what happened for the previous album? it was just announced that it would be self titled? did we get cover art, title AND tracklist at the same time?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1538 on: September 19, 2018, 03:13:38 AM »
You're right. (if I remember correctly that is) For DT14 I would presume that we will similarly get everything as well this time around, once the treasure hunt ends.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1539 on: September 19, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »
Does anyone remember how the self titled album was announced? The Astonishing was one of a kind in its unveiling so it doesn't really count; what happened for the previous album? it was just announced that it would be self titled? did we get cover art, title AND tracklist at the same time?
A press-release -announcing the title and release date- appeared on the band's and Roadrunner's websites on June 6th:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130609165106/https://www.dreamtheater.net:80/board_posts/new-dream-theater-studio-album-out-on-september-24th
https://web.archive.org/web/20130608221131/https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/dream-theater-album-20130605

That same day, the first of a few video docummentaries appeared on the band's and Roadrunner's YouTube channels:
https://youtu.be/EIjhQhm1JvU
https://youtu.be/Xc_1fwJmBk8

You can check out DTF's fan reactions starting from here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35260.msg1587311#msg1587311

The artwork and tracklist were revealed on the band's website on July 9th:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130714031638/https://www.dreamtheater.net:80/board_posts/dream-theater-cover-and-track-listing-revealed

You can check out DTF's fan reactions -specially about the artwork :facepalm:- starting from here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37913.msg1611991#msg1611991