Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 218982 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #1190 on: September 01, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
1. 11:00
2. 5:30
3. 4:30
4. 5:00 (instrumental)
5. 6:00
6. 7:00
7. 2:30
8. 19:00

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1191 on: September 02, 2018, 03:55:02 AM »
I'm betting for no instrumentals this time around, unless if one has already been confirmed. I'm not that up to date with all the pieces of info...

1. 7:20
2. 4.00
3. 6:40
4. 12:20
5. 5:10
6. 9:00
7. 8:20
8. 12:50

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: September 02, 2018, 04:41:33 AM »
1. 9:20
2. 6:30
3. 5:20
4. 10:40
5. 4:30
6. 7:30
7. 12:20
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1193 on: September 02, 2018, 04:46:27 AM »
I'm fine with an album like A Dramatic Turn of Events, songs length wise (and the balance of it).
Yeah, that really was a perfectly balanced album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1194 on: September 02, 2018, 04:53:56 AM »
I'm fine with an album like A Dramatic Turn of Events, songs length wise (and the balance of it).
and this is one of the reasons why I think it's their best record to date.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1195 on: September 02, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
You guys are crazy  :rollin

But I love this discussion ;) I hope that IF they write a longer piece, it's more consistent than Illumination Theory. DT have proven that they are able to compose long songs (8vm), but Illumination Theory didn't have enough leitmotifs imo.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1196 on: September 02, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »
it was well-balanced, but lacks a long epic in my opinion

I prefer how SC is balanced
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1197 on: September 02, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
1. 7:00
2. 15:30
3. 5:30
4. 5:00
5. 8:30
6. 6:30
7. 5:00
8. 4:00
9. 6:00
10. 13:00

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1198 on: September 02, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »

But I love this discussion ;) I hope that IF they write a longer piece, it's more consistent than Illumination Theory. DT have proven that they are able to compose long songs (8vm), but Illumination Theory didn't have enough leitmotifs imo.
I love Illumination Theory.  And Octavarium too.  :)

Hey... why don't you pop on over to the Threshold thread and tell me about their set?  [said in a very laid back and nonchalant way]

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1199 on: September 02, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
I predict that 3:45 - 4:15 in track 3 will blow our minds.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: September 02, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »
it was well-balanced, but lacks a long epic in my opinion

ADtoE has minimal problems or issues keeping it from being magnificent. I don't think a lack of a long epic is one of them. It's not an album that called for one or would have been improved by one.

Not a prediction, but praying for no instrumental.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1201 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
How about an instrumental with only JR playing leads and solos and JP only playing rhythm?  JR would be able to show his wide range of instruments.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1202 on: September 02, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »
They’ve done a bunch of instrumentals recently so I’d be very surprised if there’s one on the new album.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1203 on: September 02, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
1 - 56:20  :laugh:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1204 on: September 02, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted but check it out

https://www.facebook.com/MarlonGibbonsComposer/?hc_ref=ARTiyx4f04O0-cX332SuAWUkbSkVd4WgVS9MU_aYm3x__Nyur03ha5vxsktKEX59VP8&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBLfy_bXlxeKz0dBsjmpH4Nx2kAUxQpiXKCeI9yVFcj8aGlifA4VJyZhiXAlsfv2wTBlGT80QJmLR7iG2IcsyB24MSmvpJ6krdv9KeQA7pnwxk9Lg1wDijWLDeQ7r_VUVEvK3BA_F89yN8Q_sh2ybYpZx9S9cSJCBbx2YjfeFyS9gzJN3PhaA&__tn__=kCH-R

Seems like Marlon Gibbons recorded JLB vocals and is working with JR as well.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1205 on: September 02, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/MarlonGibbonsComposer/?hc_ref=ARTiyx4f04O0-cX332SuAWUkbSkVd4WgVS9MU_aYm3x__Nyur03ha5vxsktKEX59VP8&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBLfy_bXlxeKz0dBsjmpH4Nx2kAUxQpiXKCeI9yVFcj8aGlifA4VJyZhiXAlsfv2wTBlGT80QJmLR7iG2IcsyB24MSmvpJ6krdv9KeQA7pnwxk9Lg1wDijWLDeQ7r_VUVEvK3BA_F89yN8Q_sh2ybYpZx9S9cSJCBbx2YjfeFyS9gzJN3PhaA&__tn__=kCH-R

That appears to be for JR's solo album not DT14. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1206 on: September 02, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »

That appears to be for JR's solo album not DT14.

Thats still pretty cool news. JLB on JRs Solo album, can't wait for it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1207 on: September 02, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
I want a 17 minute John Myung spoken word track, that's something we've never seen on a DT record before :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1208 on: September 02, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »
I want a 17 minute John Myung spoken word track, that's something we've never seen on a DT record before :biggrin:
I'd be down for that.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1209 on: September 02, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »
If they do any long songs I really don't want 5 minutes of ambient sounds with nothing or very little going on.

I edit tracks like Octavarium, Illumination Theory, and The Count of Tuscany to remove these parts since I mostly listen in my car.  I'd rather them take those 5 minutes and write another stand-alone song.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1210 on: September 02, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
If they do any long songs I really don't want 5 minutes of ambient sounds with nothing or very little going on.

I edit tracks like Octavarium, Illumination Theory, and The Count of Tuscany to remove these parts since I mostly listen in my car.  I'd rather them take those 5 minutes and write another stand-alone song.

I tend to edit a lot of the long songs as well. I shortened the sfx / string part in IT by half or so, and I feel it fits much better. However I enjoy the Octavarium intro...maybe it's all about placement because the IT string section is nice, it's just too long in the context of the song IMO.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1211 on: September 02, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »

But... but those parts are stunningly beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:05:12 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1212 on: September 02, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »

None of those songs have anything like what you describe, unless you count the silence at the end of Illumination Theory before the ending credits coda at the very end.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1213 on: September 02, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »
TCOT's mid section is really cool. But IT's so f'n lame. I have that edited out. I just don't understand why it is needed or what it adds to the song. At least with TCOT, it's a true bridge.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1214 on: September 02, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
I have no issues with the Octavarium intro or the mid section in TCOT, but the string section in IT does feel a bit long and out of place for the flow of the song. Still, those ambient moments give the songs a chance to breathe, and I appreciate that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1215 on: September 03, 2018, 12:18:50 AM »
I have no issues with the Octavarium intro or the mid section in TCOT, but the string section in IT does feel a bit long and out of place for the flow of the song.

:iagree:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1216 on: September 03, 2018, 12:46:47 AM »
the string section in IT does feel a bit long and out of place for the flow of the song. Still, those ambient moments give the songs a chance to breathe, and I appreciate that.

For me, the middle section of IT is perfect given the narrative structure of the song. The first half of the song proper asks "What are you willing to live for? To die for? To kill for?"  Then it goes ambient, sort of like mirroring the lack of answers. Then the first half of the string section which sounds like a journey. Then the second half of the string section (which reprises the melody of the song's intro) is like the moment of enlightenment. Then it goes back to the song proper with the answers to the earlier questions. "Mothers (willing to live, die, kill) for their children." "A soldier (willing to live, die, kill) for his country." "Rebels (willing to live, die, kill) for their freedom"

The structure of the song make perfect sense if you follow the narrative. :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:18:12 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1217 on: September 03, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »

I love Illumination Theory.  And Octavarium too.  :)

Hey... why don't you pop on over to the Threshold thread and tell me about their set?  [said in a very laid back and nonchalant way]

Holy shit I totally forgot about that, sorry  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1218 on: September 03, 2018, 01:03:42 AM »
I think I'm in both sides for those songs. On one hand, the songs were created that way and those parts add to the overall atmosphere and vibe of the song. But after the albums are out and new albums arrive and you listen to the songs for the gazillionth time, I guess there's really no harm for practical purpouses to cut those parts off.

I still have on my mp3 player a 12 minutes version of The Count of Tuscany and that's my go-to version to listen to whenever I'm actually in Tuscany.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1219 on: September 03, 2018, 01:21:03 AM »
Is that a YES influence to writing epics? It's the structure of songs like Endless Dream.

DT has three epics with the same structure: SDOIT (Goodnight Kiss as the soft middle section with ambient parts), TCOT, and IT.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:13:39 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1220 on: September 03, 2018, 02:23:39 AM »
Yet "Endless Dream" is the best of them all..  And that's saying alot!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1221 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:07 AM »
Is that a YES influence to writing epics? It's the structure of songs like Endless Dream.

DT has three epics with the same structure: SDOIT (Goodnight Kiss as the soft middle section with ambient parts, TCOT, and IT.

Arguably Close To The Edge had the same idea decades before.  :biggrin:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1222 on: September 03, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
the string section in IT does feel a bit long and out of place for the flow of the song. Still, those ambient moments give the songs a chance to breathe, and I appreciate that.

For me, the middle section of IT is perfect given the narrative structure of the song. The first half of the song proper asks "What are you willing to live for? To die for? To kill for?"  Then it goes ambient, sort of like mirroring the lack of answers. Then the first half of the string section which sounds like a journey. Then the second half of the string section (which reprises the melody of the song's intro) is like the moment of enlightenment. Then it goes back to the song proper with the answers to the earlier questions. "Mothers (willing to live, die, kill) for their children." "A soldier (willing to live, die, kill) for his country." "Rebels (willing to live, die, kill) for their freedom"

Well, that’s a very good analysis :hefdaddy

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1223 on: September 03, 2018, 07:11:14 AM »
Yeah - really cool erwinrafaelbittencourt.  I kind of thought about the lyrics like that, but not necessarily how the transition fits into it.  Very cool. :)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1224 on: September 03, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »

Well, that’s a very good analysis :hefdaddy
I'll second that. :tup