Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 218873 times)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #1120 on: August 27, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »
Considering the last albums he is quite right. Unfortunately.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1121 on: August 27, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »
A question for the more experienced in such things: how long does the mixing stage usually take? Or is it totally random?

Depends on a lot of things. Number of songs, how dense the songs are (track wise) how much time went into pre-production, how good the performances were, how bad JP wants to make the drums sound, figuring exactly how low to keep JM in the mix, etc. Also depends on how many hours a day/days a week they dedicate to it.

Obviously JP is a guitar god and an extraordinary musician, but when it comes to mixing, he's a mere mortal and he needs to leave it to real professionals. Bands with 1/100 of DT's budget sound better than post-MP DT albums.

Online Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1122 on: August 27, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »
A question for the more experienced in such things: how long does the mixing stage usually take? Or is it totally random?
I've been following DT's album cycles since 2007. Judging by the liner notes in the booklets, and their posts on social media, the mixing+mastering stage usually lasts a month or 2.

For example:
The self-titled album's recording was wrapped up in late May 2013.
(source: https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/photos/a.133462500039104/566817716703578)
The mixing wrapped up in late June.
(https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/photos/a.133462500039104/581543768564306/?type=3)

As someone mentioned before, it depends on the project and the artist, of course. In DT's case, though, the mixing is usually done in around 30 days.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1123 on: August 28, 2018, 02:28:32 AM »
DT12 post production happened in exactly the same time frame. It might be faster this time around because Petruccinator said that they get a reference mix from James Meslin and then they only have to tweak certain things IIRC. (might have been James who said it though)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:43:45 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1124 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:39 AM »
DT12 post production happened in exactly the same time frame. It might be faster this time around because Petruccinator said that they get a reference mix from James Meslin and then they only have to tweak certain things IIRC. (might have been James who said it though)

It's not that simple. And if they manage to hire another name to mix it, it might take a few more time.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1125 on: August 28, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »

It's not that simple. And if they manage to hire another name to mix it, it might take a few more time.

True, but the thing that usually really draws out the mixing process is when band members get involved and go back and forth on mixes. It seems that since MP left, JP is really the only one, as the producer, that is involved with the mixer. Even with MP and JP co-produced albums though, DT typically mix and master records pretty efficiently.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1126 on: August 28, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »
If anything, we should hope they spend more time mixing this one. Mixing quickly doesn't usually result in a better product, especially a DT album where it's much more complicated than getting some decent levels.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1127 on: August 28, 2018, 07:10:24 AM »
If anything, we should hope they spend more time mixing this one. Mixing quickly doesn't usually result in a better product, especially a DT album where it's much more complicated than getting some decent levels.

Yup, I'd tend to agree. Maybe they need a little more of that back and forth.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1128 on: August 28, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »

Just to make a point here, as someone who's been inside a studio for some time, sometimes the "more of that back and forth" doesn't necessarily translates into a better mixing. Just a little more caring and attention to some details in post-production and it's enough.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1129 on: August 28, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »

Just to make a point here, as someone who's been inside a studio for some time, sometimes the "more of that back and forth" doesn't necessarily translates into a better mixing. Just a little more caring and attention to some details in post-production and it's enough.

For sure, more back and forth doesn't automatically mean anything. Might be a better end result, might not.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1130 on: August 28, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »

Yes, I was a studio engineer as well. Obviously there's no blanket formula for everyone. I was speaking for DT specifically, whose last 2/3 albums have had a lot of criticism regarding their production value and have all basically followed the exact same production formula.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1131 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
the thing that usually really draws out the mixing process is when band members get involved and go back and forth on mixes. It seems that since MP left, JP is really the only one, as the producer, that is involved with the mixer. Even with MP and JP co-produced albums though, DT typically mix and master records pretty efficiently.

Is this something they have confirmed at some point?.. That only MP/JP or (now) only JP and no other band member were involved in the mix?.. Because getting involved and going back and forth on mixes is not only a thing that producers do, but also the rest of the band, like when in the David Prater's days (I&W, for instance) the whole band was there making suggestions or asking for little changes here and there (especially MP and KM according to Prater)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1132 on: August 28, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »
IIRC, JP took Jordan with him for the ADTOE mixing sessions with Andy Wallace.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1133 on: August 28, 2018, 11:37:23 AM »
the thing that usually really draws out the mixing process is when band members get involved and go back and forth on mixes. It seems that since MP left, JP is really the only one, as the producer, that is involved with the mixer. Even with MP and JP co-produced albums though, DT typically mix and master records pretty efficiently.

Is this something they have confirmed at some point?.. That only MP/JP or (now) only JP and no other band member were involved in the mix?.. Because getting involved and going back and forth on mixes is not only a thing that producers do, but also the rest of the band, like when in the David Prater's days (I&W, for instance) the whole band was there making suggestions or asking for little changes here and there (especially MP and KM according to Prater)..

Not confirmed by the band, just my guess as to how the process goes at this point in the band's career.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1134 on: August 28, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
Would be cool if they were all there during the mixing this time to put their own input in, without getting in each other’s way, of course.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1135 on: August 28, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
Would be cool if they were all there during the mixing this time to put their own input in, without getting in each other’s way, of course.

But maybe that's exactly how they been working all this time.. That's what I was asking.. Also, I see nothing wrong in one member suggesting something regarding the instrument's eq of another member.. That actually might happen a lot once all members (or at least more than one) are there in the mixing room..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1136 on: August 28, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »
Longest. 2 weeks. Ever.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1137 on: August 28, 2018, 02:07:30 PM »
Longest. 2 weeks. Ever.

Yeah, it's all an elaborate troll by JP and they are still booking the studio time.  :rollin

Offline Evai

« Reply #1138 on: August 28, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
There should be a rule against 'Time specific thread titles'  :lol :lol :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1139 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
figuring exactly how low to keep JM in the mix, etc.

"OK, you see that bass level there? Bring it down."  - Lars Ulrich
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: August 29, 2018, 12:45:20 AM »
Another snippet, really proggy one, from the album!

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/videos/1897086137050722/
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1141 on: August 29, 2018, 01:39:46 AM »
Woah, that section sounds killer!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1142 on: August 29, 2018, 01:42:30 AM »
Yeah I enjoy it quite a bit. Slightly ELP and Gentle Giant as well IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: August 29, 2018, 04:05:49 AM »
That little part does sound pretty cool!  Everything has sounded like its got good potential to be great so far

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: August 29, 2018, 04:08:06 AM »
Another snippet, really proggy one, from the album!

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/videos/1897086137050722/

Wonder if we'll get any sounds from Matty's tiny NOMAC on the next LP? ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1146 on: August 29, 2018, 04:28:42 AM »
I think this album will be pretty awesome... all conditions are great! Everyone involved in composition and texting, concentrating on a better drum sound, bringing back the metal in DTs music. And the band seems very relaxed all the time and they seem to have a lot of fun. I really can't wait for this one...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1147 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »
I think it's a natural development after The Astonishing. After such a mammoth album with Petrucci wanting to take charge of basically everything, it was only logical that not only the other guys, but Petrucci himself would want a more relaxed and group approach.

After you've directed a 3 hours colossal a director may feel tempted to go for a 90 minutes comedy after all (kinda weird example but just to make the point).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1148 on: August 29, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
the snippet sounds like ADTOE mixed with Haken
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1149 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Snippet sounds good, very proggy for sure.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1150 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
The landing drone would sound cool on some track in the album.  Mini nomac? Lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1151 on: August 29, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
The landing drone would sound cool on some track in the album.  Mini nomac? Lol

Please don't let Rudess read this.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1152 on: August 29, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »
Yeeeees! More snippets! Keep 'em coming!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1153 on: August 29, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Is the Drone okay? ???
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1154 on: August 29, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
I'm already liking MM's stuff on this album and I'm not really into drums! :0