Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 218623 times)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #1085 on: August 26, 2018, 05:53:59 AM »
My guess would be that his lyrics will be intelligent (because he just is), about mathematics, logic or brains or something

I know you said that in jest, but I think the other way round. For me, it will be very emotional, that is being there where no one is expecting him.

MM sometimes can be philosophical AF, pretty deep... Hope he translates that into his lyrics!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1086 on: August 26, 2018, 06:37:25 AM »
Yeah I actually wasn't joking.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1087 on: August 26, 2018, 07:04:26 AM »
tfw you see a few new pages in the thread and got excited because you think there's a new update, but it turns out to be another load of shitpost
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1088 on: August 26, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »
Sorry about that. I do my best to remain as neutral as possible for a reason.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1089 on: August 26, 2018, 07:30:58 AM »
tfw you see a few new pages in the thread and got excited because you think there's a new update, but it turns out to be another load of shitpost

I know it wasn't addressed to us, but bad timing for making that commentary right after we discussed MM's lyrical contribution.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1090 on: August 26, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »

For me, it matters because MP posted not on his Instagram but on JP's Instagram where there is an album update. Why did he post that in the update of a band that already moved on from him?

Because he didn't respond to the bands Instagram, but his friends Instagram.

I don't get why people are making that a big deal. Since, that is what MP would say if he was in the band still and working on the NMB at the same time. Its just a friend making a joke on a friends instagram, which is why he posted the smiley.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1091 on: August 26, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »

For me, it matters because MP posted not on his Instagram but on JP's Instagram where there is an album update. Why did he post that in the update of a band that already moved on from him?

I don't get why people are making that a big deal. Since, that is what MP would say if he was in the band still and working on the NMB at the same time. Its just a friend making a joke on a friends instagram, which is why he posted the smiley.

Yes, pretend that this is not a social media world where a public post like that would not attract the fanboys who would suddenly hijack the threads on the new album wishing that MP would come back and not ruining the positive publicity the new album is getting so far through the band's own social media effort.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1092 on: August 26, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »
My guess would be that his lyrics will be intelligent (because he just is), about mathematics, logic or brains or something

I know you said that in jest, but I think the other way round. For me, it will be very emotional, that is being there where no one is expecting him.

MM sometimes can be philosophical AF, pretty deep... Hope he translates that into his lyrics!

Must be a good theme for those lyrics and maybe the album title comes from those lyrics. Could be why JP really didn't want MM to give anything away about it in that first video.

I like how they're tracking too, seems they started vocals while JM was still finishing his Bass tracks. Its like, once this is done the other can come in and do theirs. Which is why JLB started vocals, JM and JP were done with one song and he was next in the tracking line.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1093 on: August 26, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »

...about the band.

I don't get why people are making that a big deal. Since, that is what MP would say if he was in the band still and working on the NMB at the same time. Its just a friend making a joke on a friends instagram...

...about the band.

:lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1094 on: August 26, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

...about the band.

I don't get why people are making that a big deal. Since, that is what MP would say if he was in the band still and working on the NMB at the same time. Its just a friend making a joke on a friends instagram...

...about the band.

:lol

Yeah its a post about the band. But I'm saying its not like he's posting it on the BANDS instagram.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1095 on: August 26, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
Based on how I hear and play it, his entire playing vocabulary is in Metropolis Pt. 1, The Mirror, Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears, and The Glass Prison. Study all the techniques in those songs and you pretty much can feel the familiarity in the other songs. It's not bad, that is already an amazing drum vocabulary and there are so many variations MP did, but it is also true that the vocabulary never expanded much after SDOIT.

Once again, I don't agree with that simplification.. I don't think he has a new "letter" (following your metaphor) for every new song he makes, but the ones he uses and the different combinations he makes are great enough for my ears..

It's worth mentioning that what I and many others like of his style (and this would work on every other musician and maybe it's a obvious thing to say, but I'm saying it anyway) has a lot to do with the bands he has played in, mainly DT for being his main band for that many years, and also obviously with a lot of drummers that have inspired him... not only with his talent or practice.. Moreover, I never said his vocabulary "expanded much" after SDoIT.. I think he just thought his playing was fine the way it was, and didn't bothered to improv much since then.. But everyone can listening to those albums and easily notice the new stuff he brought to the band in songs like TDS, SoC, ItNoG!!, PA, SS, 8V, TDEN!!, or TMoLS.. And I'm not talking abut the obvious sounding changes, but about different rhythms and fills especially in all those songs..

tfw you see people getting upset to other people for debating in a forum made for people to debate..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:23:53 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1096 on: August 26, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »
lol

MP is and will be truly the gift that keeps giving in DT land. It's uncanny how chill things were before he posted that comment.  :lol Way to keep us entertained in DT-related discussion these days.

@ToT-147:

It's fine that you love and admire MP so much, as lots of us once did (and probably some still do); but I think the whole point was that you got pretty defensive and seemingly upset about someone making a remark about his repetitive use of fills. I mean, if I had to throw my opinion into the pot I would kind of agree that MP's drumming became somewhat stale (in terms of drumming finesse) after 2002 because he definitely became more of a quantity over quality guy (it's very VERY hard to maintain a certain degree of quality and creative invention when you're putting out so much music), although he remained an incredibly solid and fun to watch drummer (and still is).

Let's think of JP, for example. He has the creativity, technical prowess and the skill to play in more material than the albums he formally puts out (although that second solo album is really draggin'!), but you can really feel in his playing and evolution that his creative energies are focused in DT. A Mike Portnoy fan might easily say: but that's MP's magic. He's just way too creative and skilled to be only focused in one project (as one of MP's main arguments of why he left the band back in 2010); but that's not usually the way it works. He IS incredibly skilled, and incredibly talented in marketing himself; but he's become more of a "MP the guy that plays everywhere" brand more than the "MP the virtuoso drummer" brand that he had a couple of decades ago.

And also, the guy is smart. He knows his (and DT's) fanbase like the palm of his hand. He knows people are discussing this as we speak, because he knows his "harmless" Instagram comment triggers people like us  :lol As someone said, it derails attention from DT's actual recording process to him. Maybe he meant no harm, but he's not dumb. He knows what happens every time he comments things like these. You'll never see JP or even JR (the actual members he's still close to) posting things like those in his social media because, well, they're JP and JR.

And on the actual subject of the album: I'm so excited that MM is bringing lyrical ideas into the fold. That's going to be something incredible because I have no earthly idea of what to expect out of that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1097 on: August 26, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »
Based on how I hear and play it, his entire playing vocabulary is in Metropolis Pt. 1, The Mirror, Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears, and The Glass Prison. Study all the techniques in those songs and you pretty much can feel the familiarity in the other songs. It's not bad, that is already an amazing drum vocabulary and there are so many variations MP did, but it is also true that the vocabulary never expanded much after SDOIT.

Once again, I don't agree with that simplification.. I don't think he has a new "letter" (following your metaphor) for every new song he makes, but the ones he uses and the different combinations he makes are great enough for my ears..

It's worth mentioning that what I and many others like of his style (and this would work on every other musician and maybe it's a obvious thing to say, but I'm saying it anyway) has a lot to do with the bands he has played in, mainly DT for being his main band for that many years, and also obviously with a lot of drummers that have inspired him... not only with his talent or practice.. Moreover, I never said his vocabulary "expanded much" after SDoIT.. I think he just thought his playing was fine the way it was, and didn't bothered to improv much since then.. But everyone can listening to those albums and easily notice the new stuff he brought to the band in songs like TDS, SoC, ItNoG!!, PA, SS, 8V, TDEN!!, or TMoLS.. And I'm not talking abut the obvious sounding changes, but about different rhythms and fills especially in all those songs..

tfw you see people getting upset to other people for debating in a forum made for people to debate..

I think we're just mixing up observation with judgment of quality.

For instance. James Hetfield might be my favorite guitarist. Has been for over 20 years. Dude is my biggest inspiration. Is he repetitive? OH HELL YEA. Does it matter to me? Nah. Dude is amazing, even if he largely sticks to the same notes.

Being repetitive does not mean you're a lesser musician. There's some great qualities to it. I can hear a MP song I've never heard and instantly recognize it's him. That's not the case with most drummers. The reason I recognize is him is because he has a specific style (as varied as it can be) and part of that is how repetitive he is. MP is one of my favorite drummers, but the dude DOES use the same bag of tricks over and over. They're a great bag of tricks and work 95% of the time, but he is repetitive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1098 on: August 26, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »
My bad for making mention of MP's response in JP's Instagram post. I was the one who derailed the thread here. Sorry.

Back to the new album, I'm excited for it. Can't wait for the next update. Can't wait for the first song to be released for all to hear. I have high hopes for this release simply because it's the next DT album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1099 on: August 26, 2018, 04:23:12 PM »
Looks like Jordan has begun tracking keyboards!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1100 on: August 26, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »

If both James and Jordan are tracking simultaneously, I really really hope they finish the recordings this coming week, so they can move into the mixing stage very soon :metal

The cool thing is, they seem to have applied almost everything the vast majority of the fanbase wanted: writing as a band, lyric inputs by the other members, lots of studio updates, better drum sound, etc, which makes me even more excited to know who is going to mix the album this time. Nothing against Chycki, but the consensus seems to be that pleople want someone else mixing DT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1101 on: August 26, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
I’m still in shock that it takes a professional band 4 albums to get a good drum sound (assuming it is actually good on this latest effort).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1102 on: August 26, 2018, 06:40:11 PM »
I’m still in shock that it takes a professional band 4 albums to get a good drum sound (assuming it is actually good on this latest effort).
I thought the drum sound has been just fine on the previous three albums, especially TA..  I don't understand why people think the drums sound so bad. Maybe someone with better trained ears can tell me what I'm missing. I've been in bands myself, and I am kind of picky about a good drum sound.
That was my biggest complaint about Rush's Clockwork Angels tour, the drums were so muffled.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1103 on: August 26, 2018, 07:01:07 PM »
For instance. James Hetfield might be my favorite guitarist. Has been for over 20 years. Dude is my biggest inspiration. Is he repetitive? OH HELL YEA. Does it matter to me? Nah. Dude is amazing, even if he largely sticks to the same notes.
Last year I was given a CD copy of Hardwired... to self-destruct as a present. My favourite bit is the intro to "Confusion"...

Bam
Bam
Ba-ba-ba, Bam
Bam
Bam
Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba, Bam
                                 Bam
                                 Ba-ba-ba, Bam
                                 Bam
                                 Bam
                                 Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba, Bam...

So stupidly simple, it can't get any better.  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1104 on: August 26, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
I don't think the drums are as terrible as lots of people think, but I agree there hasn't been a moment in these past records that I'm astonished (pun very intended) with the drum sound. I think it's more of a thing that MP had a SUPER distinctive and really good (IMO) drum sound that we had all grown used to for many years. Not only the sound, but his playing and the whole way DT records were mixed were very constant in the band's history, and we were comfortable and happy with that. That being said, I can listen to those three records just fine without the need of nitpicking every subtle drum nuance.

With Portnoy not co-producing (or playing) in the records, it was obvious that things were not gonna be the same. I could almost bet that, if ADTOE/DT/TA were released by a band that wasn't Dream Theater, there wouldn't be such a big outbreak regarding the drum sound. NOTE: I'm talking from a studio album perspective, the live records are something else. I have more of an issue with Luna Park's overall mix than any other of the Chycki-era DT releases, which feels weird given Chycki has mixed some wonderful live and studio albums. Maybe it was a tracking thing? Probably we'll never know (listens to the overcompressed and uncomfortably loud vocals from the acoustic set in Luna Park).

That being said, I'm super happy they went a totally different way with this record, regarding the studio, the engineering, the production, etc. The few clips that have had drums sound killer and I'm very positive it's going to turn out great.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1105 on: August 26, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »
Last year I was given a CD copy of Hardwired... to self-destruct as a present. My favourite bit is the intro to "Confusion"...

Bam
Bam
Ba-ba-ba, Bam
Bam
Bam
Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba, Bam
                                 Bam
                                 Ba-ba-ba, Bam
                                 Bam
                                 Bam
                                 Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba, Bam...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1106 on: August 26, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
I thought the drum sound has been just fine on the previous three albums, especially TA..  I don't understand why people think the drums sound so bad. Maybe someone with better trained ears can tell me what I'm missing. I've been in bands myself, and I am kind of picky about a good drum sound.
That was my biggest complaint about Rush's Clockwork Angels tour, the drums were so muffled.
For me, ADTOE, the drums are too much in the background. Mike is doing some amazing things, but they get lost under the guitars. At the end of Bridges In The Sky, it literally sound like machine guns with what MM is going on the kick drums and toms. That was a cool part that got lost. Also, it's a small complaint because I only noticed it on the isolated track, but the snare is weird. A lot of reverb.

DT's sound is very processed, doesn't sound real. It all sounds triggered.

TA was the step in the right direction. The little clip we've seen so far of the drums, they sound way better
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1107 on: August 26, 2018, 07:21:21 PM »
@Adami  Are you trying to change my mind by comparing Hetfield to Portnoy?.. Good luck with that lol.. Fwiw, I agree with the rest of your post, except with the "repetitive" part, which is getting very repetitive btw...

@DarkLord_Lalinc  Two things: first, the discussion was never about my reaction.. The guys were expressing their opinion about MP's playing, which is fine in itself, but not in the way one of them first put it; also, they weren't understanding what my opinion was and, worse, they started to misrepresenting it, so I needed to clarify it.. Second, about getting upset, well, sorry for being a human being that happens to like something and feels bad when someone (or some, like in this case) attack that very thing.. You can't deny the way it was first said was very childish and calling for discussion, as MP does regularly..

One Last Thing (:v): even if the thread might have derailed a bit with this back and forth about MP (as someone said, we started this little chat for something a former member of the band posted on a current member's post about the new album; it's not that we're talking about sports), this tinny deviation from the thread's main issue doesn't change our hype or focus on the news about the album.. As soon as we keep getting updates we'll be talking about them as we actually never really stop doing.. So I don't see the point in complaining that much about all this Little Debate.. ;)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1108 on: August 26, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »
So, it seems Jordan has just started tracking
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm9dehTnGj_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=6h0t8od0i6c9
Sorry to get back on topic
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1109 on: August 26, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »

Actually, as simple or stupid you might think it is, that section is on 3/4 and 5/4, so, while maybe still being stupid, at least is not that simple.. :lol  I actually remember that in my first listen of the song I wasn't able to catch the time signature in all the time the pattern is repeated, and that's a very long time..

So, it seems Jordan has just started tracking
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm9dehTnGj_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=6h0t8od0i6c9
Sorry to get back on topic

Speaking of the "topic", it isn't maybe time to update the thread's title?..

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1110 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »
Actually, as simple or stupid you might think it is, that section is on 3/4 and 5/4, so, while maybe still being stupid, at least is not that simple.. :lol  I actually remember that in my first listen of the song I wasn't able to catch the time signature in all the time the pattern is repeated, and that's a very long time..
Vos sabés que la primera vez que la escuché me pasó lo mismo - me costó un huevo encontrar la métrica. Al principio me pareció como vos decís: 3/4 + 5/4. Pero, desde entonces, lo escucho como 2 compases de 4/4; como referencia uso los riffs que se escuchan por arriba. ¿Vos no te perdés al contar de a 3 y 5? (Quizás por eso le pusieron "Confusion". :P)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1111 on: August 26, 2018, 09:59:48 PM »
Yeah, someone please change the thread title. They entered the studio more than 2 weeks ago :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1112 on: August 27, 2018, 02:12:05 AM »

If both James and Jordan are tracking simultaneously, I really really hope they finish the recordings this coming week, so they can move into the mixing stage very soon :metal

The cool thing is, they seem to have applied almost everything the vast majority of the fanbase wanted: writing as a band, lyric inputs by the other members, lots of studio updates, better drum sound, etc, which makes me even more excited to know who is going to mix the album this time. Nothing against Chycki, but the consensus seems to be that pleople want someone else mixing DT.
Chycki was never mentioned during the updates given to us. The person that actually was mentioned is James Meslin (aka Jimmy T), so IMHO it's safe to assume he will mix and engineer. (he worked on the Xanadu cover with the guys as one example) Chycki is working with Phil X and Richie Sambora right now if I'm not mistaken. Anyone who knows better may gladly correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:30:34 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1113 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
Wow, I came in here to catch up from the weekend, and found almost 3 pages of completely off-topic discussion.  It should go without saying that the out-of-nowhere MP bashing and criticism of his fills was completely uncalled for, as was the over-the-top defensiveness in response.  Keep the thread on topic, and keep the MP bashing to Facebook and Blabbermouth comments.  It has no place here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1114 on: August 27, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »
But we can talk about his Instagram post re: the album?

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1115 on: August 27, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
Vos sabés que la primera vez que la escuché me pasó lo mismo - me costó un huevo encontrar la métrica. Al principio me pareció como vos decís: 3/4 + 5/4. Pero, desde entonces, lo escucho como 2 compases de 4/4; como referencia uso los riffs que se escuchan por arriba. ¿Vos no te perdés al contar de a 3 y 5? (Quizás por eso le pusieron "Confusion". :P)

:lol  Tal cual.. Pasa que los compases por lo general se dividen según en dónde esté puesto el énfasis, por eso creo que en la partitura original debe figurar como 3/4 y 5/4.. Pero bueno, mejor volvamos al tema porque ya suficiente cagada a pedos me comí, jajaa..

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1116 on: August 27, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »
A question for the more experienced in such things: how long does the mixing stage usually take? Or is it totally random?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1117 on: August 27, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
A question for the more experienced in such things: how long does the mixing stage usually take? Or is it totally random?

Totally depends on the band and the album. For DT, they usually don't take more than a couple weeks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1118 on: August 27, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »

Depends on a lot of things. Number of songs, how dense the songs are (track wise) how much time went into pre-production, how good the performances were, how bad JP wants to make the drums sound, figuring exactly how low to keep JM in the mix, etc. Also depends on how many hours a day/days a week they dedicate to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1119 on: August 27, 2018, 12:42:28 PM »

Depends on a lot of things. Number of songs, how dense the songs are (track wise) how much time went into pre-production, how good the performances were, how bad JP wants to make the drums sound, figuring exactly how low to keep JM in the mix, etc. Also depends on how many hours a day/days a week they dedicate to it.

You, naughty boy! :lol
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael