Author Topic: A Rite of Passage  (Read 1580 times)

Offline RAIN

A Rite of Passage
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
I've always felt this but listening to BC&SLs today, it hit me again.
Why does the sound of A Rite of Passage seem completely different then every other song.  Not the style, the actual sound of the recording.  It's as if it was recorded in a hallway and at a completely different time, maybe studio, with different engineering.  It's so blatantly different that I wonder why?
Does anyone know?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: A Rite of Passage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
It was the first released single, so is it mastered ahead of the rest of the album? I'm not sure how it all works.

For what it's worth, I don't really notice a difference in the audio
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Only the pure insight of freemasonry can answer that.  :neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
I might be incorrect but I think the song was finished before the rest of the album to let it be released as a single early on. Therefore, the other songs just got more time being mixed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
Only the pure insight of freemasonry can answer that.  :neverusethis:

:lol

Nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »
I just thought it was the more distorted scooped guitar tone making the difference
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »
I just thought it was the more distorted scooped guitar tone making the difference

Yes, and I thought that was a very distinct and pretty cool difference.  I love JP's sound in that song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
This is one of the weirdest songs DT ever done, for me personally. I love the way it starts, and the first verse is weird and kinda cool, but by the time it gets to the first chorus, the air totally comes out of the balloon and the song is then a lost cause for me. 

Offline Evai

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:25:08 AM »
I loved the harmonies when they played it live, probably my favourite backing vocals thing they ever did
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
This is one of the weirdest songs DT ever done, for me personally. I love the way it starts, and the first verse is weird and kinda cool, but by the time it gets to the first chorus, the air totally comes out of the balloon and the song is then a lost cause for me. 

I think I haven't heard the song in over 7 years, perhaps more, but I remember not thinking much of it (or of the album it came from, for that matter).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
I personally love the song, but I admit my bias towards anything on the album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
I think I haven't heard the song in over 7 years, perhaps more, but I remember not thinking much of it (or of the album it came from, for that matter).

Likewise. I remember thinking the chorus was kinda cool.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evai

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
Wait I just remembered, it has that weird keyboard solo. Pretty much the only thing on the album I don't like.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
Pretty much the song that got me into 'rediscovering' Dream Theater.  ;)