Author Topic: John Petrucci, The Guitarist Discussion  (Read 12473 times)

Offline Addy

Re: John Petrucci, The Guitarist Discussion
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
That being said I wanna share a controversial opinion. I think he lost a bit of his technical skills recently. Listening to footage from recent G3 tour back to back with e.g. G3 2001, it's not as tight and effortless. I guess 6DOIT/ToT era was his peak.

I don't know if that will be super controversial around here - I think with age he is a little less "fluid" of a player. I'd agree that his peak was probably that SDOIT through ToT era - the touring they did to support those records has given us some great sets and some great JP moments.

I agree with this. It might not be age, who knows maybe he practices differently, or less. It could also be his tone, it's changed a lot since ToT

Really?  I think he is much more fluid now.  I was listening to the Old Bridge bootleg recently, and his playing nowadays is MUCH more smooth than back then.

Well, there are lots of proshot festival vids from recent years where he's sometimes off e.g. The Enemy Inside from Sonisphere 2014. And here are the clips grom G3 - 2018 vs 2001. You be the judge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-r4bN85eYE
https://youtu.be/bNXEXb-Dn0c?t=488

Don't get me wrong. I love his playing and I know I'd have to share a dozen of such examples to prove my point, but it's just my observation.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
He is top 3 for me back when I cared for ranking my favorite guitarist.

1.Satriani
2.Vai
3.Petrucci

And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

1.Satriani
2.Vai
3.Petrucci

You must love G3 Live in Tokyo then :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »
What is JP's guitar legacy going to be?

Speed?  Accuracy?  Versatility?

I'd have to say it's the constant pickup switching between bridge/neck.  Most players will use one pickup for an entire song and then JP comes along and opens up this door and now everyone seems to be doing it.  Well, at least the up-and-coming prog metal players seem to be.  I could even add the piezo integration as well but the pickup switching goes back 15 years farther.

Just like EVH's legacy is tapping and Vai's legacy would be guitar/human sexual relations (you know he's done it), I think JP will be forever remembered for this particular technique.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
I've seen tons of guitarists doing that since the early '80s at least.  It is nothing that JP invented.

Personally, I've never seen a guy tweak his pickup switch and volume knobs as much during a song as this guy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiYislNeRw
He isn't on the toggle switch as much in that video, but is on the volume knobs constantly (it is very subtle and you are likely to miss a lot of it if you don't watch closely), including some really nice volume swells at about the 4:15-4:30 mark (that is all volume knobs, not a pedal).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:57:05 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2018, 06:57:36 AM »
Yeah, I think loads of guitarists switch between the neck and bridge to get different sounds mid-song. To me, JP perfected that craft, especially during solos. He definitely influenced my playing in that particular way. That said, I think that's a detail to his playing that not a lot of people will remember simply because not a lot of people will notice it and understand it.

I'd say his legacy will be strongly linked to his role as the guitar player from DT. I think people will remember him in that context. In terms of his playing - his versatility will be the thing I think I'll remember most years down the line.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
EVH wasn't the first to tap but he made it his own and is generally recognized as the one who 'invented' it and that's his legacy.

Same for JP, sure others switch pickups, but not very many people can name who did it first or whatever.  I'm an axeman myself and can name a zillion guitarists but ask me to name another player that does it like JP and I can't which is why I think it's going to be his legacy... that and muscles.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
Same for JP, sure others switch pickups, but not very many people can name who did it first or whatever. 

Well, sure people couldn't name who did it first.  But that's because it is such a common and inconsequential thing that pretty much EVERYBODY has been doing it since pickup switches were commonplace.  It's like asking who was "first" to plug in their electric guitar. 

I highly doubt that many people really notice that he switches pickups fairly frequently.  And those who do are probably mostly guitar players, and as such, would have also likely noticed that tons of guitar players have been doing it with as much or more frequency than JP for decades.  It's just not really a "signature move" kind of thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2018, 10:42:52 PM »
Fine, you win, gg.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »
Same for JP, sure others switch pickups, but not very many people can name who did it first or whatever.

I can't suggest who did it first, but I can think of a lot of guys who did it regularly long before JP:  Steve Howe, Alex Lifeson, EVH, Randy Rhoads....

But that's because it is such a common and inconsequential thing that pretty much EVERYBODY has been doing it since pickup switches were commonplace.  It's like asking who was "first" to plug in their electric guitar. 

I highly doubt that many people really notice that he switches pickups fairly frequently.  And those who do are probably mostly guitar players, and as such, would have also likely noticed that tons of guitar players have been doing it with as much or more frequency than JP for decades.  It's just not really a "signature move" kind of thing.

I'd never really noticed it in relation to JP and agree about pretty much everybody doing it.

If you want to come up with a "legacy" for JP as a guitarist, I would say its the precision of playing and the fastidious attention to tone (although lots of other guitarists do both, these are things about JP, as a guitarist, that stand out to me, a bass player).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
He's definitely my favorite guitar player. He's got just about everything you could want in a guitar player - song writing, blazing solos, gorgeous melodies, soulful playing, emotion, kick ass riffs, beautiful acoustic playing. He's got it all.

Some of my other favorites/most influential to my playing and attitude are:

Mark Tremonti
Buckethead
Jason Becker
Jake E. Lee
Andy McKee
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Dimebag Darrell
Mark Holcomb
Daron Malakian
Tosin Abasi
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2018, 06:22:57 AM »
I think the main pick-up switch offender could be Jeff Beck.

I also like to think John Petrucci's most important legacy as guitar player and guitar musician is his religious and scientific dedication in exploring and fulfilling the potential of the instrument, changing the game yet respectfully never shifting the focus from the sacrality of song and music to himself. Striving for the most complete palette never forgetting the painting.

Among the contemporary shredders, he has the monk-like mindset of a XVIII century virtuoso. 

For what is worth, he's up there in my pantheon with Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, John McLaughlin, Vernon Reid, Robert Fripp, Jan Akkerman, Mark Knopfler, Brian Setzer, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Lukather and Gary Moore.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
Brian Setzer? Gee I was just thinking how much Mike Mangini reminded me of Slim Jim Phantom.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2018, 10:25:24 AM »
Personally, this is my "holy trinity" of guitar:

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buckethead
John Petrucci

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
I think guitarists who constantly switch between the pickups during songs are just guitar players who know exactly how they need the guitar to react to the notes being played. I'd say just about every "real" guitar player does this, and what I mean by that is, every guitar player who is trying to speak through the instrument. There are so many "guitar players" who are just that - guitar players. All they do is play the guitar for their band or whatever because they just wanted to be a guitar player in a band. But guys like JP, Steve Vai, and Jeff Beck have something to say, and they're using the guitar to do that.

On that note, I will mention something that JP does with the pickup switch that I picked up, that I don't really hear anyone else doing - he'll have the switch set to the neck* pickup during a solo, and then bend up on a high note, and almost simultaneously he'll flick the switch and sweep the signal from the more fat sounding neck to the thin sounding bridge which creates this very vocal, very expressive sound on the note. Almost like a wah pedal or a talk box sort of effect. It's something that I absolutely love and something that I've incorporated into my own playing. Now, it's just a natural thing for me to do, which is really cool. It seems like such an obvious way to be expressive now.

*edited to fix my mistake
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:43:29 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
The switch between neck and bridge pickup is usually simple a choice between rhythm and solo section. At least for me :lol
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:43:06 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
The switch between neck and bridge pickup is usually simple a choice between rhythm and solo section. At least for me :lol

Warmer or cutting through sounds.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
On that note, I will mention something that JP does with the pickup switch that I picked up, that I don't really hear anyone else doing - he'll have the switch set to the bridge pickup during a solo, and then bend up on a high note, and almost simultaneously he'll flick the switch and sweep the signal from the more fat sounding neck to the thin sounding bridge which creates this very vocal, very expressive sound on the note. Almost like a wah pedal or a talk box sort of effect. It's something that I absolutely love and something that I've incorporated into my own playing. Now, it's just a natural thing for me to do, which is really cool. It seems like such an obvious way to be expressive now.

I've seen Steve Morse doing that trick. I suppose that's the rationale behind his guitar having the switch settings featuring the neck and bridge positions unusually adjacent.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Petrucci's "legacy" is the influence he's had on the current generation of metal guitarists from Avenged Sevenfold to Animals as Leaders, etc.

He's also one of the few virtuoso "guitar gods" whose combination of technique AND songwriting translated best in the context of a band to levels even Vai or Malmsteen couldn't quite match. 

Technique-wise his strong points are his strict adherence to alternate speed picking and his almost godlike ability to stay on pitch during those soaring sustained high notes.

I also truly think he's a natural guitar prodigy/savant. Anyone who can write an album on the level of Train of Thought in three weeks is, well, a freak of nature.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2018, 06:12:54 AM »
I don't know what the switching of pickups has to do with the conversation.  It's a common, simple thing a lot of guitarists do, it's nothing special or technically amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »
I don't even know what that means.  :lol

I mean, switching pickups, I think I understand, but I never knew you could do that or what the application would be.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2018, 06:36:18 AM »
I don't even know what that means.  :lol

I mean, switching pickups, I think I understand, but I never knew you could do that or what the application would be.

Bridge pickup, usually used for rhythm most of the time with a brighter tone and think Adrian Smith tones when soloing.  Neck pickup mostly used for soloing, more smoother and think Dave Murray tones when soloing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2018, 06:44:56 AM »
Oh..Iron Maiden. Now everything makes sense! :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
Petrucci's "legacy" is the influence he's had on the current generation of metal guitarists from Avenged Sevenfold to Animals as Leaders, etc.

He's also one of the few virtuoso "guitar gods" whose combination of technique AND songwriting translated best in the context of a band to levels even Vai or Malmsteen couldn't quite match. 

Technique-wise his strong points are his strict adherence to alternate speed picking and his almost godlike ability to stay on pitch during those soaring sustained high notes.

I also truly think he's a natural guitar prodigy/savant. Anyone who can write an album on the level of Train of Thought in three weeks is, well, a freak of nature.

This is a great point.  :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Been watching the Live At Budokan 2017 clips tonight and holy crap..JP  :hefdaddy

Such amazing passages.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
Something that I've noticed is that JP hasn't done a lot of guest work on other artist's projects. Jordan, for example, guests on one or two albums every year, but John only has a handful of guest spots here and there. Would love to see him work with other artists, outside of DT, as a guest or side project, to hear him in different settings.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »

This is a great point.  :tup :tup

Thanks. To be fair I think some of Vai's tastiest playing was with DLR and the Sex & Religion group. But unlike Petrucci, playing in a band won't be Vai's "legacy". That said, I'd kill to have Vai do another album with Townsend without all the early 90s trappings (and egos).

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
Been watching the Live At Budokan 2017 clips tonight and holy crap..JP  :hefdaddy

Such amazing passages.

Yup, he sounds killer on that!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
He was number 4 when I did my favorite guitarists countdown list a couple years ago,

Who were your Top 3?

My influences as a guitarist is very limited much more the pieces and I guitarists that I play.

He is in my Top 3  he is top 3.

1.Satch.
2.Vai
3.Petrucci.

And she listens openly

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2018, 03:56:16 PM »
Listening to my Astonishing Abridged right now. JP's solo in When Your Time Has Come is sneaky amazing.

I suppose Tim, but the callbacks.  Why does this song sound like This Is The Life Pt. 2?  I love TITL.  I don't want to hear something similar on another album.

Such amazing passages.

I need to check that out.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »
What do you find similar between When Your Time Has Come and This Is the Life?  I never drew any connections between those two songs, so I'm curious to know what you are hearing there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
I want to say something about This Is The Life. Now I'm not saying it's anywhere close to my favorite song, although I do love it. But I think it might be their best written song ever. It's almost perfect.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »

1.Satriani
2.Vai
3.Petrucci

You must love G3 Live in Tokyo then :biggrin:

For sure,

Had Petrucci been in the first G3 instead of Eric Johnson and had I been given the chance to watch that live and meet the three of them at the meet and greet I might scream like a little girl! Back in 97 lol.
And she listens openly