Author Topic: John Petrucci, The Guitarist Discussion  (Read 12472 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
John Petrucci, The Guitarist Discussion
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
Apologies if there's another thread somewhere...

But I wanted to talk about John Petrucci, and where most people rank him all time and such...

I mean I expect most of us here rank him right near the top, but where would you put him among what are considered the classic greats. Certainly Dream Theater's discography stacks up against anyone's.

What got me thinking was the Thin Lizzy thread in GMD. Which always leads me to a Gary Moore binge. Now I've been a Dream Theater fan for a looooong time, and I have never heard JP cite Gary Moore as an influence. Yet he is the one guitarist that I constantly hear in JP's playing. I mean the chops and the speed, the emotion, and the technical ability. I consider Gary Moore the greatest guitarist I've ever heard, but frankly, I put John Petrucci right up there.

JP plays some Rush like passages for sure, but I'm not sure what other influences really come out in JP's playing. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? He cites Steve Morse as an influence, but personally, I don't know enough of Morse's work to hear it in JP. To the better educated, is Morse present in JP's playing?

If you had to describe JP's style to a friend, how would you do it?
Can anyone else vouch for the Gary Moore influence?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: John Petrucci, The Guitarist Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
He was number 4 when I did my favorite guitarists countdown list a couple years ago, so that speaks to how awesome I think he is, especially since I am generally not a huge fan of shredders.  He has more great solos than you can shake a stick at, and while his tendency to overplay live can be a bit maddening at times, I can usually overlook it.  A world class talent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:58:43 PM »
He was number 4 when I did my favorite guitarists countdown list a couple years ago,

Who were your Top 3?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
He was number 4 when I did my favorite guitarists countdown list a couple years ago,

Who were your Top 3?

Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
Roine Stolt

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:00:21 PM »
Who is Roine Stolt?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
The guy who sings like a haughty British butler in Transatlantic.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
Roine Stolts main band is the Flower Kings.
 John Petrucci is the best guitarist of all time imo,  hands down "The King of Strings"! He's rightfully earned that title in my book.  :metal
Others are Alex Lifeson, Trevor Rabin, David Gilmour, Gary Pihl, and so many others..
Ron (Bumblefoot) Thal,  has made quite an impression on me lately..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
I think the Steve Morse influence comes more from a technique perspective over a musical/melodic application. John always talks about how useful to him were the alternate picking exercises he learned on a SM clinic while he was on Berklee. JP developed his own sound, but the technique approach he got form Steve remains present. Still, I always thought his solo during the baroque-esque part on Illumination Theory sounded inspired by Steve Morse, for example.

Other big influences he always mentions are Alex Lifeson (this one is pretty obvious), James Hetfield/Metallica for the tight rhythm guitar playing and sound, and Al Di Meola (that bass and guitar part in the middle of Raise the Knife always reminded me of Di Meola's playing).

On my personal guitarists ranking, Petrucci  is #1. He has all the chops and speed to be an overkill shredder like Yngwie, but he ALWAYS plays with the right amount of emotion/feel and melodic sense, instead of just playing a thousand notes for the sake of it. Others I really like are Guthrie Govan and Kiko Loureiro. Bumblefoot is very very very good too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:52:59 AM »
I think the Steve Morse influence comes more from a technique perspective over a musical/melodic application. John always talks about how useful to him were the alternate picking exercises he learned on a SM clinic while he was on Berklee. JP developed his own sound, but the technique approach he got form Steve remains present. Still, I always thought his solo during the baroque-esque part on Illumination Theory sounded inspired by Steve Morse, for example.

Other big influences he always mentions are Alex Lifeson (this one is pretty obvious), James Hetfield/Metallica for the tight rhythm guitar playing and sound, and Al Di Meola (that bass and guitar part in the middle of Raise the Knife always reminded me of Di Meola's playing).

On my personal guitarists ranking, Petrucci  is #1. He has all the chops and speed to be an overkill shredder like Yngwie, but he ALWAYS plays with the right amount of emotion/feel and melodic sense, instead of just playing a thousand notes for the sake of it. Others I really like are Guthrie Govan and Kiko Loureiro. Bumblefoot is very very very good too.

Good post. I agree with pretty much all that.

Personally, I think Alex Lifeson and James Hetfield are his most obvious influences. He spends the majority of the music playing rhythm parts and Alex's chord voicings and James' power chord work shine through as big influences on JP.

When it comes to leads, JP is an interesting case. I think that's where guys like Steve Morse have influenced him, but he's pretty unique in that he meshed together the technicality of a guy like Morse, shredders like EVH or Hammett, etc... and melodic players like Gilmore. The primary thing that has always attracted me to JP's work is the balance of technical, shred, melody, feel, etc... I feel like he grabbed parts of a bunch of styles and put them together in a way I've never heard any other player. 

He did a video lesson series with Guitar World recently, where he breaks down how he develops parts and talks specifically about the influences on his playing. It's a good watch even for non-guitar players -

Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJx9Kft4NuQ

Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lRLQPMZ3M

Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0O4qBfXuY

Episode 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3OHVPa1kk

Episode 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pUnrsHGgqE

Episode 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGnEy9COP88

If memory serves, particularly in Episodes 3 and 4 (and maybe 2) he goes into some pretty interesting detail as to how he heard bands or guitar players doing certain things and combined those things together to create "his" sound.

Oh and yea, I'd say JP is my favorite guitar player ever. I don't know enough of Gary Moore's stuff to make the connection, I'll have to check out more of his work.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »
The three biggest influences I hear in his solos are probably David Gilmour from Pink Floyd (especially on slower songs, which are just dripping with Gilmour influence), Alex Lifeson from Rush, and classic metal bands like Metallica and Pantera.

As far as how I rank him, overall he's my favorite but I like certain aspects of other guitarists more. Joe Duplantier and Christian Andreau from Gojira are probably my favorite rhythm guitarists. For lead guitarists/solos, I'm a bit all over the place lol. I like Michael Romeo, Benjamin Baret (Ne Obliviscaris), and Steve Howe a lot off the top of my head.

In terms of how he compares to other guitarists? I'd say near the top. In terms of technics, he's outclassed by Tosin Abasi and Herman Li for sure, but he's better at playing more lyrical passages. For lyrical passages, he's probably outclassed by Steve Howe and David Gilmour but his "technical" playing is much better than there's imo. He's a really good jack of all trades, and definitely one of the most influential guitarists of the modern era. I think it says a lot that he pushed guitar playing to a new level, which has almost become the standard now. I hear a LOT of bands even outside of prog that are approaching the level of playing that he's established. I don't think he's THE greatest guitarist in history, but he's definitely near the top.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Yeah, definitely occupies the #1 spot for me. Technique-wise he is one of the most versatile guitarists I know, and has a great knack for combining melody and technicality. The one aspect I wouldn't consider him #1 is his actual guitar sound. As time has passed it has become more and more processed.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »
The three biggest influences I hear in his solos are probably David Gilmour from Pink Floyd (especially on slower songs, which are just dripping with Gilmour influence), Alex Lifeson from Rush, and classic metal bands like Metallica and Pantera.

As far as how I rank him, overall he's my favorite but I like certain aspects of other guitarists more. Joe Duplantier and Christian Andreau from Gojira are probably my favorite rhythm guitarists. For lead guitarists/solos, I'm a bit all over the place lol. I like Michael Romeo, Benjamin Baret (Ne Obliviscaris), and Steve Howe a lot off the top of my head.

In terms of how he compares to other guitarists? I'd say near the top. In terms of technics, he's outclassed by Tosin Abasi and Herman Li for sure, but he's better at playing more lyrical passages. For lyrical passages, he's probably outclassed by Steve Howe and David Gilmour but his "technical" playing is much better than there's imo. He's a really good jack of all trades, and definitely one of the most influential guitarists of the modern era. I think it says a lot that he pushed guitar playing to a new level, which has almost become the standard now. I hear a LOT of bands even outside of prog that are approaching the level of playing that he's established. I don't think he's THE greatest guitarist in history, but he's definitely near the top.

Good post, the one part that made me pause is bolded. Tosin is awesome, I love his music and his playing in general. He certainly has expanded techniques and is very innovative, but often times live he struggles to play those things cleanly. It's kinda subtracted some of the lure for me.

Yeah, definitely occupies the #1 spot for me. Technique-wise he is one of the most versatile guitarists I know, and has a great knack for combining melody and technicality. The one aspect I wouldn't consider him #1 is his actual guitar sound. As time has passed it has become more and more processed.

That's true, for me, JP's best tone was probably FII through to SDOIT. He's had some good stuff before and since but some live rigs and studio work has sounded better than others. His sound is a little over processed for me these days, but in the room, live, it still sounds great to me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
Yeah, all the ones mentioned so far are definitely there, but Neal Schon is the one I hear the most.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
He's near the top. You can put him there with Vai, Satriani, Gilmour, Clapton, Jeff Beck, etc. He's that good. Not just because he can shred but how he writes and plays the instrument shows he's in another league. He's one of those guys who can pretty much do it all on a guitar.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
He's one of my favorites, but I just wish he was more prolific. He doesn't do anything outside of Dream Theater. He has so much talent and I'd love to see him just... explore genres, you know? It seems like such a waste to restrict yourself to only one project your whole life.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
He's one of my favorites, but I just wish he was more prolific. He doesn't do anything outside of Dream Theater. He has so much talent and I'd love to see him just... explore genres, you know? It seems like such a waste to restrict yourself to only one project your whole life.

Mike Portnoy agrees with your post :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
Hmm... bringing up MP is interesting.  If I had to choose between their approaches, I'd have to go with JP.  There are certain things that MP has done post DT that I really enjoy, but for the most part I wonder if he'd come up with something better (or I should say, more to my tastes), if he had fewer projects. 

I wouldn't at all mind another solo album from JP (especially after seeing his crushing G3 set), but if all the delays are because of what he's doing with DT, I'm all for it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »

He hasn't restricted himself to one project his whole life.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 10:09:19 PM »

Okay, if we're going to get pedantic, Liquid Tension Experiment, yes, decades ago, but all but one person involved were also in Dream Theater, it was writing DT-ish jams without James in the mix. Then his one solo album. 13 years ago. I'm not saying he needs to be like MP - not all musicians are like that, thankfully - I'm saying I personally wish he'd make the most of his exceptional gift and do 'more' than he has done. Spread his wings a bit. Collab with others on a studio album or have a side band, I dunno. I would just like to hear more from the legend than just in Dream Theater every couple years.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
JP is #1 for me too, and even more #1 when he is along a pianist like rudess (for more style exploration and creativity).

He riffs from trashy to popy
He masters every technique, people said he is weaker sweeping, I'm not sure, but on the other hand he can play so fast...
His inspirations comes from classical type arpeggiating to neoclassical tremolo picking and legato, plus prog, hard rock, jazzy chords sometimes...

The words complete musician couldn't be more true, it feels like he absorbed good traits of most iconic guitarists, added to a great touch and music theory.

The only complain I can understand is that some people feels like things are too processed and nicely done, making the reputation of "robotic" playing with less feeling.
But once you're touched by several moments of grace, it's less a thing.

Too much is the ennemy of good, but some of us can handle too much :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 03:21:55 AM »

Okay, if we're going to get pedantic, Liquid Tension Experiment, yes, decades ago, but all but one person involved were also in Dream Theater, it was writing DT-ish jams without James in the mix. Then his one solo album. 13 years ago. I'm not saying he needs to be like MP - not all musicians are like that, thankfully - I'm saying I personally wish he'd make the most of his exceptional gift and do 'more' than he has done. Spread his wings a bit. Collab with others on a studio album or have a side band, I dunno. I would just like to hear more from the legend than just in Dream Theater every couple years.
He's also done G3 several times.  In a band like Dream Theater, it would be difficult to find the time for other projects. Really no need for him to spread himself thin when he does what he does best with DT. Look at other guitarists like Alex Lifeson, he hasn't done much outside of Rush either.  What's the point, when you can be making a great career in your respective band?
 However there are exceptions, a good example being Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins, the solo project from the bass player of Symphony X.  Now that is someone spreading their wings.  :metal
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:29:37 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:13:11 AM »
JP is one of my favorite guitar players. To me he is extremely talented but also well rounded. There are a lot of virtuoso's that seem to be one trick pony's. While JP isn't my favorite guitar player (Guthrie is) he is still one of my favorite guitar players to watch and listen to.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 06:06:45 AM »
As far as guitarists go studio JP is quite high in my list. As you guys have said before, he has it all. However live is a different thing since in my opinion he tends to overplay quite a bit and if I'm being honest there hasn't been a JP solo that has caught my attention for being original for a long time now. I sometimes wish he would go back to playing simpler things like he did on I&W or Awake where his sound was a lot cleaner.
Speaking of clean sounds, I have to mention Robert Fripp since no one else has. I know the things he plays are very hit or miss but what has always amazed me is how clean his guitar sounds even when playing at high speeds, particularly in the song Frame by Frame. He is definitely one of my favorites.

He's also been part of Explorer's club along with JLB and there's that amazing album they did with Jordan. But for the most part I agree with you, DT is his life and he'll sometimes do other things.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:24 AM »

Dream Theater is a full time job.

Think of it this way: for a person with a normal work week, DT is his 40 hours a week job.  How many 40 hours a week people work other jobs in their spare time?  Probably not many, and I am guessing those who do, do it for financial reasons (they need the money).  I doubt JP needs the money, so maybe he wants to spend his down time enjoying life and relaxing a little, rather than constantly being on the go.  Constantly being on the go can cause burnout, and I think it is fair to say that that is what happened with Mike Portnoy eight years ago, and Petrucci is not blind to that.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »

Think of it this way: for a person with a normal work week, DT is his 40 hours a week job.  How many 40 hours a week people work other jobs in their spare time?  Probably not many, and I am guessing those who do, do it for financial reasons (they need the money).  I doubt JP needs the money, so maybe he wants to spend his down time enjoying life and relaxing a little, rather than constantly being on the go.  Constantly being on the go can cause burnout, and I think it is fair to say that that is what happened with Mike Portnoy eight years ago, and Petrucci is not blind to that.

Yup, I totally agree Kev. JP has always struck me as a wise guy, he's certainly not blind to what caused things to go down with MP like they did.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »

I am, quite literally, simply saying that I just want to hear more music from him. That's it. I get all of that. I'm not oblivious. I just want to hear more of his work.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
It seems like such a waste to restrict yourself to only one project your whole life.

I don't know about that.  Other than Bruce and Adrian having left Maiden briefly to pursue solo careers, none of the members of Iron Maiden have done much of anything (musically) outside of the band (all of them obviously have a number of personal interests, as does John Petrucci).  Doesn't seem like a waste to me.

Other than the single solo albums that Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee released in 1996 and 200, respectively, none of the members of Rush have done much of anything (musically) outside of the band (I suppose we could talk about Geddy working with the McKenzie Bros. and Alex appearing as a guest musician on a few odd songs here and there, but really....).  Doesn't seem like a waste to me.

Petrucci focuses on DT, which, compared to a lot of bands who only release new albums every 5+ years, is an incredibly prolific band.  If you got more from Petrucci outside of DT, we'd all probably get less of DT.  Getting more non-DT material from Petrucci while still getting the same level of DT output would probably have a very negative effect on DT.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
But DT isn't anywhere close to as big as Rush or Maiden. And I'm also not nearly as fanatical about Maiden's individual members or Rush's individual members.

Guys, I can't be clearer: I simply like JP a lot and want to hear more from him than simply DT records. That is purely my (selfish, subjective) wish.  :facepalm:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
I get what you're saying Kattoelox and I agree. I think it's obvious that JP has tons of musical ideas outside the confines of Dream Theater (as witnessed by The Astonishing). I'd love to hear them too.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
I’d like to see him start a new project with people he’s never worked before, like a band with a female singer, for example. Or maybe, since he’s also a producer, why not produce another band’s albums? But since he’s always said the reason he hasn’t released a 2nd solo album is because he hasn’t found the time to record it, I highly doubt any of these things will happen. Still, I’m glad DT has been his main focus for more than 30 years.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
But DT isn't anywhere close to as big as Rush or Maiden. And I'm also not nearly as fanatical about Maiden's individual members or Rush's individual members.

Guys, I can't be clearer: I simply like JP a lot and want to hear more from him than simply DT records. That is purely my (selfish, subjective) wish.  :facepalm:

DT may not be as "big" as those bands, but they're just as busy; maybe even more so.  Wanting more JP is totally cool, imo.  What I think people are objecting to is the idea that it's somehow a waste.  I know he's said on more than one occasion that DT is creatively fullfilling and it's basically a dream situation for him.  If he's living out his dream, it's not a waste at all. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »

I am, quite literally, simply saying that I just want to hear more music from him. That's it. I get all of that. I'm not oblivious. I just want to hear more of his work.

I hear ya.  However, he has been pretty prolific when you add up all of his albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »

DT may not be as "big" as those bands, but they're just as busy; maybe even more so.  Wanting more JP is totally cool, imo.  What I think people are objecting to is the idea that it's somehow a waste.  I know he's said on more than one occasion that DT is creatively fullfilling and it's basically a dream situation for him.  If he's living out his dream, it's not a waste at all.

From this fan's perspective it is a waste in the sense that there could always be more, so there.   :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
Well, there *is* always more.  Maybe not more albums, but there's always more to learn. And there's always more to know...