Author Topic: Sensory deprivation chambers  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Sensory deprivation chambers
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »
Well, today for the first time ever I tried a sensory deprivation chamber, and it was pretty wild.

For those unfamiliar, its basically a tub full of epson salt and water so you float there and on top of that, there's no light, sound or smell. So you exist only as your mind, or that's the idea at least

I first ever learned about them on the simpsons WAY back in the day and always wanted to try one. I wasn't sure what to expect, but my personal experience was that it was super relaxing, but surreal. Some people say they trip in there and I definitely didn't trip, but sort of felt the ever so slight beginnings of tripping. Its hard to describe honestly, but overall it was an interesting experience and definitely something I would recommend trying at least once.

Anyone else ever try a sensory deprivation tank?   Or have in interest in trying one?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Sensory deprivation chambers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
How long were you in there?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
I want to try one very very badly.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
How long were you in there?

I decided to do 60 mins since it was my first time. They also offer 90 mins as well. I think the 60 mins was perfect though. Thinking about it more more, I honestly feel super relaxed right now. At some point I am definitely gonna try it again. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »
Just as long as your trip wasn't like Homers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:17 PM »
I first saw this in “Fringe” the show (even though it was used differently) and just a few weeks ago a coworker tried it and told me to do it. I’m thinking of doing it over the summer I only heard good things about it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »
Curious. But intriguing. I think I would get bored.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »
I’ve been intrigued by these. Would like to try it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:55:49 AM »

Ditto. Joe Rogan raves about these on his podcast, I'd definitely be interested in trying one out.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
I want to do one of these with a VR headset on with FPV of just flying through the universe.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
Yeah, no. Ever since seeing Altered States in my late teens (after eating a few party mushrooms) I'm not getting anywhere near one of those tanks!  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
I have little interest in tripping, but I would be interesting in trying this though.  A bit more natural and controlled, and probably not actual tripping, but a more surreal experience.  I really never thought of actually doing it though.   More of one of those "that'd be cool" but put little thought into actually doing it type of things. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
I want to do one of these with a VR headset on with FPV of just flying through the universe.

I want to do one of these with a  VR headset on with FPV of just flying through Margot Robbie.

Seriously, though, I'd be down with this; I like being by myself, and I have no problem "in my own head" if that makes sense.  I wonder if I will be able to relax, though?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
Coupled with your avatar and the comment, I read it Trump's voice, hand motions and all.  :lol

Anyways, did you ever feel claustrophobic? I would love to do one someday, they seem intriguing, but also maddening
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 05:05:02 AM »
Coupled with your avatar and the comment, I read it Trump's voice, hand motions and all.  :lol

Anyways, did you ever feel claustrophobic? I would love to do one someday, they seem intriguing, but also maddening

Never felt claustrophobic. The one I went to was huge. While floating on my back, I could exend my hands up completely and still didn't hit ceiling of the chamber

This is the exact on i was in. I could even stand up if I wanted. It was really like less of a chamber and more like a room with some water. All while achieving the same effect of the older smaller types. It was win win.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
This reminds me of Altered States (1980).

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 01:09:29 AM »
I'd be curious to try one, I did go into an anechoic chamber when I was in college, and that was beyond a mind fuck on it's own, can't imagine what'd be like to have all the senses deadened out.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 02:05:15 AM »
Do you want demogorgons? Because that's how you get demogorgons.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 05:46:03 AM »

Never felt claustrophobic. The one I went to was huge. While floating on my back, I could exend my hands up completely and still didn't hit ceiling of the chamber

This is the exact on i was in. I could even stand up if I wanted. It was really like less of a chamber and more like a room with some water. All while achieving the same effect of the older smaller types. It was win win.

*SNIP*

That looks kind of relaxing. I never saw one like that before. Any reviews I've ever seen of these thing are in a deprivation chamber that looks like this;

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
I work in a sensory deprivation chamber.  It's called an office cubicle.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
Do you want demogorgons? Because that's how you get demogorgons.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »

Ditto. Joe Rogan raves about these on his podcast, I'd definitely be interested in trying one out.

I tried one because Joe Rogan always talked about them. I loved it, I need to go again.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
I would love to have one in my house. I've told Mrs. Vox I'm gonna break down and have one put in, and she just rolls her eyes at me.
I've never tried one, but I'd love to sometime. I think it could be great way to get creative with new ideas.

Of course, the way my imagination works I'd be lying there creating an entire backstory about the diseased guy who was in here before me that felt so relaxed that he sharted or pee'd in the tank. And the clueless and underpaid kid who works here simply hosed it out. So, I'd spend about 59.5 minutes lying there thinking about how the guys virus/disease/cooties were now infiltrating my own bodies defenses.
 :(
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."