Author Topic: Scenes from a Memory & Dead Again  (Read 2866 times)

Offline ytsejam58

Scenes from a Memory & Dead Again
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »
So recently, I found a movie from 1991 starring Emma Tompson and Kenneth Branagh (who are both in Harry Potter) called Dead Again. I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the plot lines connect loosely to events that happen in Scenes From a Memory. I don't want to spoil anything but go check the movie and you'll see what I mean.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Scenes from a Memory & Dead Again
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
That was relatively common knowledge. Indeed Dead Again is a STRONG lyrical influence on the storyline of the album. We're not at Stockholm Syndrome / Never Enough levels, but... not that far either.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
From the SFAM Wikipedia article:  "The final version of the story became a concept album, dealing with the story of a man named Nicholas and the discovery of his past life, which involves love, murder and infidelity as Victoria Page, and as such was heavily inspired by the 1991 film Dead Again, more so than the original 'Metropolis—Part I'."

The sources cited for this inspiration are two reviews and a fan club site, and I don't know if Petrucci has ever commented on this, but I believe the connection has been well-known for a long time.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
I seem to remember a behind-the-scenes video which showed "Dead Again" in their inspiration corner.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
David Cronenberg's Dead Ringers starring Jeremy Irons was said to also have served as a major inspiration, especially concerning the twins storyline.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:26:08 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
Are the black and white flashback scenes in Metropolis 2000 from the movie, or based on it? Never knew who played the characters either. IMDB doesn't help.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
Probably extensively covered in the ytsejam email digest when the album came out

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
Are the black and white flashback scenes in Metropolis 2000 from the movie, or based on it? Never knew who played the characters either. IMDB doesn't help.

No, the film footage was original for that tour.  Someone from the mp forum was actually involved in making those, but the name eludes me at the moment.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 03:02:02 PM »
His name is Kasper Vejlø Kristensen. He played one of the characters too.

He also helped make the A Walk Beside The Band dvd a possibility, as he filmed the London portion. Which also ended up being the Dark Side of the Moon footage, since we were already filming that section...

He currently owns and runs a company: eyelightvideo.net  He posted about his experience here: https://videoproduktion.bloggersdelight.dk/2014/03/dream-theater  I'm sure google translate will be sufficient.