Author Topic: Who Are the Luckiest Musicians/Bandmembers?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Who Are the Luckiest Musicians/Bandmembers?
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »
In terms of success and wealth... Excluding Producers, luck, etc...
I was just thinking about Lars/Metallica. IMO all members owe it to Hetfield for their success. Sure Hammett wrote the riff for Enter Sandman, and in their prime, he was a great player, but frankly, he's awful now. Ulrich was always pretty basic and he too is not very good these days. But I think because of his promotion of the band and arranging, he gets a pass.

Care to add?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Who Are the Luckiest Musicians/Bandmembers?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:59:02 AM »
- Anybody in Foo Fighters who isn't Dave Grohl
- Ringo Starr
- Anyone who hasn't worked with Gene Simmons
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:02:33 AM »
- Ringo Starr

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »

:rollin :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
- Ringo Starr

Nailed it!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:36:09 AM »
I was just thinking about Lars/Metallica. IMO all members owe it to Hetfield for their success. Sure Hammett wrote the riff for Enter Sandman, and in their prime, he was a great player, but frankly, he's awful now. Ulrich was always pretty basic and he too is not very good these days. But I think because of his promotion of the band and arranging, he gets a pass.

Care to add?

Lars deserves every bit of success and wealth that he has earned.  Kirk wrote the Sandman riff, but Lars arranged it and said "hey, extend that out three more times" and he crafted that riff into what you hear today.  Add his song arrangement skills to all of his business sense, and the fact that he took on Napster well before the industry collapsed due to piracy and you have one very smart, very shrewd cookie.

One doesn't have to be the world's best musician with respect to their instrument to deserve credit for what they have achieved.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »

Care to add?

Lars deserves every bit of success and wealth that he has earned.  Kirk wrote the Sandman riff, but Lars arranged it and said "hey, extend that out three more times" and he crafted that riff into what you hear today.  Add his song arrangement skills to all of his business sense, and the fact that he took on Napster well before the industry collapsed due to piracy and you have one very smart, very shrewd cookie.

One doesn't have to be the world's best musician with respect to their instrument to deserve credit for what they have achieved.

Agreed.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »

Care to add?

Ya. If you read, I said that.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
What about Ronnie Wood?
any rock can be made to roll

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »

Care to add?

Lars Ulrich is the reason Metallica even exists and got to where they are now :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 08:27:26 AM »
What about Ronnie Wood?

Yeah, and Brad Whitford too.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
What about Ronnie Wood?

Nah, he had a legit career with Jeff Beck and The Small Faces.  He wouldn't have toured stadia, but then again, neither would Jagger or Richard without the other.

I strenuously object to both Lars and Ringo Starr on this list.  Lars was the hustle behind Metallica in the early years; I don't think he has the pure musical talent that Hetfield does, but in terms of his marketing, business sense, arranging skills, and public relations, there is no Metallica without Lars.   As for Starr, he may not be "Mike Mangini", but then again, he didn't have to be.  He held his own for ten years with three of the best musicians this planet has ever known (and in my estimation, the greatest living musician on the planet right now, Sir Paul McCartney).

And Kattleox can blow me.  :)

Serious answers:
- Gilby Clark
- Ian Hill (though I've come to understand that he does a lot of behind the scenes stuff)
- Michael Anthony (not to say he sucks - he killed it when I saw him with Chickenfoot - but Different Kind of Truth tells me he's not integral to VH)
- Tony Kaye (we only know him because of Wakeman, Moraz, et al.  In my opinion he can't hold a candle to them)
- Peter Criss (he had three good years, and then became a liability)
- Donna Godchaux (in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.   I tend to collect this era of the Dead, but I defy you to find me even ONE performance that warrants that. ONE.)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
What about Ronnie Wood?

Krist Novoselic?

I had to look that up, but yeah.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »
What about Ronnie Wood?

Krist Novoselic?

Honestly, in my opinion?   You could put any of the Nirvana members here; yes, even Grohl.  He's no doubt earned his status with Foo Fighters, but with Nirvana?  I think they all got lucky. 

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
Charlie Watts?
Even though he has that special back-beat type thing going on,
put any other rock n roll drummer on that stool. Would the Stones still have been so successful? I think yes.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
That's twice in a week you've told me to blow you, Stadler. I'm telling your wife.  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »
What about Ronnie Wood?

Nope, definitely not. Joe Perry is the more extrovert player and takes more of the spotlight, but Whitford is integral to the groove and rhythm of Aerosmith and he plays some cool solos too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »
Charlie Watts?
Even though he has that special back-beat type thing going on,
put any other rock n roll drummer on that stool. Would the Stones still have been so successful? I think yes.

I disagree with that.    I think Keef would too.    Plus, even if just for this story Charlie deserves a pass:  Mick Jagger wanted to record - depending on the version, it was the south of France in '70, '71, recording Exile On Main St. or Paris in '77 recording "Some Girls" - and Mick, hammered, said "where's my drummer".   Watts got word, showered, shaved, put on a suit, went to Mick's room, punched him in the face and said "I'm not YOUR drummer, you're MY singer. Don't ever forget that!"   

(There are, to my count, at least four versions of this story; the only common facts are that Mick said "my drummer" and Watts subsequently punched him in the face.  As with all things "Stones", who knows how much of the rest is true or not.)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »
Janick Gers.

I used to cite Malcolm Young and Michael Anthony as the best examples, but people would get really pissed off about the Malcolm thing, and Anthony's vocals made him an asset to VH. Besides, Janick wins this easily.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »

Serious answers:

- Donna Godchaux (in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.   I tend to collect this era of the Dead, but I defy you to find me even ONE performance that warrants that. ONE.)

I've got mixed feelings about Donna Godchaux.  For the most part, I think her vocals enhanced quite a few of their songs (Fire on the Mountain, Scarlet Begonias).  But there are times when I need to clamp both hands over ears (Playing in the Band).  Overall though, I do prefer the Godchaux era of the band, Keith included.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline DTA

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
I always thought Larry Mullen Jr. was the luckiest dude ever. He's in one of the biggest bands of all time but nobody really knows who the hell he is and he can probably walk around without being harassed a majority of the time whereas Bono and The Edge are much more visible. Plus the drumming for U2 is really easy on the body.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
John & Chuck Panozzo... they just happened to be neighbors with Dennis DeYoung.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
Re: Charlie Watts, and people like him: He may have found himself in a fortunate situation. But he still 1) Made the most of the opportunity and, possibly more importantly, 2) he has shown up and delivered for for the better part of 50 years. Which gets back to point number 1. Yeah you may have stumbled in to something by sheer luck, but what you make of it is what matters.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
Janick Gers.

Hell no. He got in the band and earned Steve's trust enough to not be dismissed when it was time to go back with Bruce. After the reunion he became more and more involved in the songwriting helping to compose many great songs. And all around he seems to be a nice and funny guy who, must have read it on a Maiden board, is actually a diplomat within the band trying always to bridge the different positions of the other more strong willed members.

Say what you want about the way he plays the solos or how he behaves on stage, but Janick Gers is damn important for Iron Maiden.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
I always thought Larry Mullen Jr. was the luckiest dude ever. He's in one of the biggest bands of all time but nobody really knows who the hell he is and he can probably walk around without being harassed a majority of the time whereas Bono and The Edge are much more visible. Plus the drumming for U2 is really easy on the body.

He's actually by most accounts the "leader" of the band.   I've read many articles that implied pretty strongly that he has sort of veto power on all things U2.   If you're going to point fingers toward Dublin, it's Adam Clayton that should get your attention.  He writes little, and let's just say that the "eighth note pulse" is not really going to challenge Geddy Lee all that much. 

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
How 'bout this?
Alec John Such (Bon Jovi, bass)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
Janick Gers.

Hell no. He got in the band and earned Steve's trust enough to not be dismissed when it was time to go back with Bruce. After the reunion he became more and more involved in the songwriting helping to compose many great songs. And all around he seems to be a nice and funny guy who, must have read it on a Maiden board, is actually a diplomat within the band trying always to bridge the different positions of the other more strong willed members.

Say what you want about the way he plays the solos or how he behaves on stage, but Janick Gers is damn important for Iron Maiden.

I sort of lean to el Barto on this.  I know that Steve said "If it doesn't work out with the three guitars, Adrian is gone" but I think Maiden would exist quite nicely and not miss a beat without Jannick.  Doesn't mean he sucks, but for me, "Iron Maiden guitars" = "Dave Murray" so I could live quite nicely without the "Cinderella Guitar Swinging" on stage.  That he's a nice guy matters not.   Mike Anthony is by all accounts the nicest guy in the world.   VH moved on quite nicely without him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »

Serious answers:

I've got mixed feelings about Donna Godchaux.  For the most part, I think her vocals enhanced quite a few of their songs (Fire on the Mountain, Scarlet Begonias).  But there are times when I need to clamp both hands over ears (Playing in the Band).  Overall though, I do prefer the Godchaux era of the band, Keith included.

Oh, not me.  Though you hit the nail on the head with the "PitB" input.  I've been getting the quarterly Dave's Pick's, and they are great to listen to while chilling in the house, or cooking, and my wife more or less doesn't say a word no matter what I play.  The only times she's ever offered input was when she was wailing like a dying cat. 

Having said that, I like Keith better than all the other keyboard players combined, so if that was the price to be paid, so be it.  I'll take it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
Janick Gers.

I used to cite Malcolm Young and Michael Anthony as the best examples, but people would get really pissed off about the Malcolm thing, and Anthony's vocals made him an asset to VH. Besides, Janick wins this easily.

I’d go with Blaze rather than Jannick. Blaze joined about the biggest metal band on the planet with no talent other than being British and a nice guy. His career now, for what it is, would not exist but for that stint in Maiden.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
As a drummer I always had the opinion that to be successful and have a long lasting career as a drummer you either become a well rounded session drummer or be apart of a band that's famous. The latter dosen't necessarily mean you have to be very good so in a sense I always say that any drummer that isn't a hard working session musician but still can maintain a steady career is pretty much lucky in my book.

Then again you can always go my way and choose the third option and become a drum teacher, although the big bucks dosen't come that easy. :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus.  If you have to look it up, the jokes on you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
That he's a nice guy matters not.

Sure it does. If you are a prick, your chances of getting a gig, or any job for that matter, diminish greatly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTA

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »

He's actually by most accounts the "leader" of the band.   I've read many articles that implied pretty strongly that he has sort of veto power on all things U2.   If you're going to point fingers toward Dublin, it's Adam Clayton that should get your attention.  He writes little, and let's just say that the "eighth note pulse" is not really going to challenge Geddy Lee all that much.

That's pretty interesting. I always thought he and Adam were basically "along for the ride" and basically puppets to the wishes of The Edge (who I assumed was the de facto leader). I wonder why drummers seem to be bandleaders a lot. Maybe it's because they don't generally write the music so they have a bit more objectivity?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
That he's a nice guy matters not.

Sure it does. If you are a prick, your chances of getting a gig, or any job for that matter, diminish greatly.

Maybe this is the explanation for all the "lucky" musicians being in world famous bands with no apparent outstanding talent. Maybe they endured in the band because of how their personalities glued well with the others, or how they keep in check the others, or even of off-stage stuff they take care of. Maybe from the outside we ask "how lucky is this dude to have been in the same room with Top Musician A and Top Musician B" but maybe in the inside dynamics of the band, their niceness or general attitude towards the band and their inner workings is vital, and more important than having a better musician who doesn't get along with the rest of the band.

For example we should ask Deep Purple who they prefer to have in the band, guitar ultimate god Ritchie Blackmore or reliable guy Steve Morse (not taking a diss at Blackmore, just considering the situation of the band as it happened).

Maybe it's a situation like "how come that hot girl is with that plain ordinary dude".... maybe there's a good reason for that, and the reason may also not be a fat bank account or a huge dong either. we think the girl is stupid for having fallen for that ordinary dude, but she knows why that dude is better than many other hotter guys.