The Cars - Magic
6 (3.3%)
The Cars - Drive
12 (6.6%)
The Cars - You Might Think
5 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: February 25, 2024, 04:02:30 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite of these 80's songs by this year's ROCK H&F Inductees  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Your favorite of these 80's songs by this year's ROCK H&F Inductees
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 02:02:10 AM »
*thinks the RHOF is a joke*

*gets worked up each year about the nominees and their worthyness*

Find the contradiction.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 06:39:00 AM »
If you're talking to me, I don't know that I think the Hall is a joke  I think Jann Wenner is a joke, and they're not the same thing.   I personally see too many artists like Rush who "think it's all bollocks" until they get there, get up on the stage, and realize "wow, this is real."   Why SHOULND'T a guy like Phil Collins, who's body is falling apart around him, get a little love, FINALLY, after being the whipping boy for a bunch of people that don't know dick all about music (critics) and even a few that do (Bob Plant). 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »
I don't mean anyone in particular, it's just an observation you can make every year when the nominees are announced.

I just find it funny to get worked up about something you (not you personally) claim you can't take serious.

And I don't know why Phil Collins isn't in there, but then I'm of the people that doesn't care who's in there and why, or why not.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »

I still have no idea what GnR are doing in there. None.

Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jackson Browne
The Sex Pistols
Laura Nyro

And yet, no Phil Collins, no Iron Maiden, no Judas Priest, no Soundgarden.

No Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, King Crimson and Jethro Tull either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 09:17:42 AM »

Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jackson Browne
The Sex Pistols
Laura Nyro

No Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, King Crimson and Jethro Tull either.

RHCP deserve to be in.  Iron Maiden deserve it too eventually.  I could live without the rest in (including the list of who is actually in) although all have good arguments.

My only issue with the RnR HOF is that they include music beyond "rock", otherwise it's just a popularity contest so it'll never be about who is really the best rock music

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »
I think you just never had interest in them that leads to your belief they are not worthy.  But their sales and tours prove differently.

Bon Jovi sold a lot of albums (or, more accurately, they sold a shitload of copies of one single album).

I believe the stretch from Slippery When Wet through New Jersey, Keep the Faith, These Days and possibly Crush all sold good, Slippery is surely the best seller but at the very least New Jersey was also huge.

You are correct (assuming the sources that Wikipedia cites are accurate):

Slippery.............28M (12x platinum in the U.S.)
New Jersey.........18M (7x platinum in the U.S.)
Keep the Faith.....12M (2x platinum in the U.S.)
These Days.........10M (1x platinum in the U.S.)
Crush.................11M (2x platinum in the U.S.)

Not surprising that New Jersey (as the follow up to Slippery) sold like a mother f-er, and it's not surprising that Crush did well because "It's My Life" was huge, but I honestly can't say I've ever heard anything off of Keep the Faith or These Days.  From my perspective, Bon Jovi was completely off the map in the 90s, but maybe I just missed it.

Anyone know of any site that tries to normalize album sales figures for albums that were originally released before CDs existed and whose sales numbers are inflated because of folks re-buying an album on CD to replace a cassette or vinyl?  As I type this it sounds like it would be too speculative to be reliable, but who knows?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
From my perspective, Bon Jovi was completely off the map in the 90s, but maybe I just missed it.

These are single's numbers (not albums like you showed) but I think kind of make the point Bon Jovi was still relevant on some level in the 90s.

https://www.billboard.com/music/bon-jovi/chart-history

Always
Bon Jovi
Peaked at #4 on 12.10.1994

Bed Of Roses
Bon Jovi
Peaked at #10 on 3.6.1993

and for reference

It's My Life
Bon Jovi
Peaked at #33 on 9.30.2000

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »

Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jackson Browne
The Sex Pistols
Laura Nyro

I think  Crimson should be in  - Fripp is EASILY as influential in his own way as a Lou Reed or any of the other hipster darlings that have gotten in the Hall.  Fuck, he almost single-handedly created an entire genre. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »
I loved Bon Jovi from hearing Runaway, their first single. They wer3 great until after New Jersey. Every album after had a few good songs but it started not to rock. The became boring ballad heavy.
I remember JBJ was having songwriting lessons and the better he got as a songwriter, the worse his songs got!

I haven’t even bothered to listen to the last few.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »
I loved Bon Jovi from hearing Runaway, their first single. They wer3 great until after New Jersey. Every album after had a few good songs but it started not to rock. The became boring ballad heavy.
I remember JBJ was having songwriting lessons and the better he got as a songwriter, the worse his songs got!

Last album I liked was Have A Nice Day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
These are single's numbers (not albums like you showed) but I think kind of make the point Bon Jovi was still relevant on some level in the 90s.

https://www.billboard.com/music/bon-jovi/chart-history

Always
Bon Jovi
Peaked at #4 on 12.10.1994

Always was huge. Heck, it's how I got to know them. It was so big that even a young teen as me who, as mentioned before, never really bothered with foreign music before got notice of it.

And as sappy as in some moments the lyrics tend to be, I still think it's one of their best ballads.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
Yea, Always was a huge hit when I was a kid and my first experience with Bon Jovi.  I've been bummed because he hasn't played it very much, it's always an "audible" on his current setlists that gets scratched off.

Runaway is my favorite BJ song.  But you are right, his albums got worse and worse.  I wouldn't of gotten his latest, but it was free with tickets for his last show I went to.  I turned it off after a couple songs  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »

Worst album cover of all time, though.  Or at least a contender. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »

Me too. That had some good stuff on it. It’s a masterpiece compared to what I heard after it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
I'd say put all the best songs of Crush, Bounce and Have a Nice Day all on one disc, and forget about the rest.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »
Phil Collins is in the R&RHOF, as a member of Genesis.