Author Topic: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (The End (not the band))  (Read 37602 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 3 Hansolo)
« Reply #595 on: July 05, 2018, 01:37:24 PM »
???: Structural Disorder - ... and the Cage Crumbles in the Final Scene
???: _r_a__ra__ - _r_s__t____t
Evermind: Hail Spirit Noir - _ay___ __ Blu_
Train of Naught: Solefald - __rl_ __tal __s____l_s Su_
???: T__l__ ___t ____a - S_l__t _ac____
???: T__ ___ - Elementary

Letters guessed: CYTLRSUAB

Puppies waits 3
ariich waits 2
Dacul waits 1

y'all have been slacking on this hangmeme

I'm gonna finish second listens tonight, ideally I will have results up this weekend and with only 5 reasonable length albums I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to, tbh
Top 3 here are all quite good btw, my order shuffled around a lot for just those three on second listen (I go top ranked to lowest ranked on second listen, for the record)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 3 Hansolo and First Impressions)
« Reply #596 on: July 05, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
I can't guess because of the dumb rule of having to wait x turns. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #597 on: July 05, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
Guess anyway idc anymore if nobody else is guessing

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #598 on: July 05, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
FINE GIVE ME THE D

I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #599 on: July 05, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
That's mine  :angry: . Give me the O

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #600 on: July 05, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »
K
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: July 05, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
???: Dr_a__ra__ - _r_s__t____t
Evermind: Hail Spirit Noir - _ay___ __ Blu_
Train of Naught: Solefald - _orld __tal _os_o_ol_s Sud
???: Twelve Foot Ninja - S_l__t _ac____
???: T__ __d - Elementary

Letters guessed: CYTLRSUABDO

I think this is right but I'm at work atm so dunno

just DO it
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:28:34 PM by Parama »

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #602 on: July 05, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
Twelve Foot Ninja
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #603 on: July 05, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
I see mine up there. Even though I'm eliminated  :biggrin: :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #604 on: July 05, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »
Yeah I'm surprised nobody commented on how there were 6 albums in hangman yet

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #605 on: July 05, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
Silent Machine
Mayhem In Blue
World Metal Kosmopolis Sud

The End-Elementary

I thought I made The Top 5, but then I did notice there were 6 albums. I just thought I made a mistake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #606 on: July 05, 2018, 06:34:41 PM »
???: Dr_a__ra__ - _r_s__t____t
Evermind: Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue
Train of Naught: Solefald - World Metal: Kosmopolis Sud
???: Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine
???: The End - Elementary

Letters guessed: CYTLRSUABDO

nice

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #607 on: July 07, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
i would say i think one person sent their best album so far this round, while another sent probably their weakest
i also have a pretty good idea of who's getting cut but i'm gonna do a third listen this weekend through everything & should have results sunday or monday at the latest

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #608 on: July 08, 2018, 01:10:20 AM »
let's do a save or two now shall we
----------
So I said in my PM when you sent this that I'd heard this one before and didn't put it on my list, which is intended to be kind of a warning. But also sometimes I'm just an idiot, because this is actually... really quite good and I don't know why I passed on it. Actually, I do. I'll get to that. But first. This album does a smart thing in that all of its songs really have their own identity and all develop that identity really well, while still absolutely feeling like a cohesive whole. The Fool Who Would Be King contains most of the album's weirdness, but it's not overboard about it & it has some great intensity and groove to go along with it. Drowning is more emotionally charged, probably my favorite chorus on the album & it's just a strong song in general. Nine Lies has EXCELLENT intensity to it, possibly my favorite on the entire album, though it balances it out with some chill moments. Probably one of my favorite songs of the entire roulette so far though. The Architect of the Skies is a nice ballad to cool down with, and Kerosene is this lovely instrumental that's got a great balance of technicality and atmosphere going on, it's a really great penultimate buildup to the final track. And then that final track hits, and it's... fine, absolutely fine, but wow it's just underwhelming for how good of a streak the album was on beforehand. And that's likely why I passed on this one, because it leaves such a weak closing impression, that's why this ended up as #3 on my first listen of this round instead of at the top where it likely belongs, this is on the whole a great prog metal album & definitely one I'm going to follow up on, but it's not perfect either.

TAC with Structural Disorder – ...and The Cage Crumbles In The Final Scene, your final scene is yet to come, you're through to the next round.
----------
This actually has the same issue as the above album in that the final track feels decisively weaker, but it's more that it feels maybe... out of place? It makes me think of an Anathema song, and more of a late-era Anathema than their darker stuff too, and in what is a heavier prog metal album occasionally bordering on melodeath, it really does not fit nor does it make for a climactic finale. The rest of the album is pretty cool though, the guitar tone on this album is great, nice and meaty & works well with the style of music on display here. I think this isn't as emotionally charged as the above album either though it has its moments, especially the second half of Memento Mori, but there's more a focus on technicality and riffs in general and that's something I can still get on board with regardless, absolutely. I don't really have a ton else to say on this one because it's not... particularly unique? It's just on the whole done pretty well and it's a shame it ends on a bit of a weak note, but I still enjoy it more than enough for you to be through to the next round.

Elite with Dreamgrave – Presentiment, I guess you found your way out of that maze on the album cover or something which means you're good to go for round 4.

1. Structural Disorder – ...and The Cage Crumbles In The Final Scene
2. Dreamgrave – Presentiment

what was originally pretty set as #3 I'm not as super sure about atm which is why I'm only doing two now and not three, but I still think what I currently have as #5 is likely to stay there. we'll see. final results should definitely be tomorrow unless I just can't decide

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #609 on: July 08, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
Nice!! :metal

It's a neat album that came across my new album feed a few months ago. Not really a classic TAC album, but it has a cool uniqueness that I can enjoy if I need a change of pace.

So I said in my PM when you sent this that I'd heard this one before and didn't put it on my list, which is intended to be kind of a warning. 

Oh, and I took it as a warning. :lol

But I was committed to the album and thought it had enough qualities that you seem to like.

So take THAT Noiseofnicko! :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #610 on: July 08, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
yeah i think that was on one of the new releases posts i follow (heavy blog is heavy, i think)
thanks for sending it tbh it's probably top 10 AOTY material  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #611 on: July 08, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
Yaaay! I think parts of the album I sent are incredibly strong and other parts are just there, but still above average. I don't have any gripes with the last track, though I think it builds up just a little too slowly when compared to the rest of the album. Having the album end on a softer note is no problem for me after the heavy beginning, but it could have been more bombastic and climactic. I'm glad you enjoyed it enough though :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: July 09, 2018, 01:23:55 AM »
i wanna think about this a little more because i'm still not 100% sure, i'll put up results tomorrow night.
can't say any album this round is bad, just not all of them doing as much for me as the two i put up results for alreasdy

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #613 on: July 09, 2018, 03:22:18 AM »
while another sent probably their weakest
I have an inkling this might be me.

I mean, I think it's an awesome, but it's quite possible it's less your thing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
"Not bad" is already a good result for me, now bring on the elimination. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #615 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:24 PM »
i don't even know, i'm gonna do these writeups and whichever one i feel like cutting at the end i'm gonna cut
----------
I'm just gonna go in order of when I received albums, so we're starting with this one. I'm not gonna lie, pretty sure this is the one I'm gonna cut. Because I feel like this has the most problems. The elephant in the room is the third track, which is simultaneously the best and worst song on the album - the actual metal on display here is more intense and more compelling than anywhere else on the album but the vocals make it nigh unlistenable, they are just, the worst. I hate this kind of song. Absolutely despise it. Track two has this dubstep wub wub thing going on that I also really don't like at all. And the first track has its moments but it's just a total mess. So the first three tracks, only one of them I really care for and I don't love it. Then everything that comes after is... not as interesting, doesn't have nearly as much flavor. Tracks 4 and 7 I have absolutely nothing to say about, track 5 has that marimba thing that's kind of cool but gets beat into the ground, track 6 I dig the ending bit and some of the synth stuff, but a lot of the song is just... there, and I appreciate track 8 as a solid cooldown tune but a bit anticlimactic to end the album on, especially since track 7 doesn't have much of a climactic feel either. And this album... doesn't sound like an album, just a collection of songs. Here's a secret; I don't care much for Thy Catafalque anymore, or at least, I don't care to listen to full albums from them, because it's usually the same story as here; a lot of songs that don't really form a cohesive whole, even if some of them are kinda cool. Sgurr is the only really good Thy Catafalque album and the only one I revisit. And this band has a lot in common with Thy Catafalque, both in the "weird electronic/folky metal" sense and the "general inability to construct an album" sense. I also looked on RYM and this is by far their lowest rated album there, so maybe I'd like other albums more? But ehh. I don't hate this at all, there's a lot of solid enough metal here and the occasional moment that does work but it's mostly just not that compelling for me.

This is pretty clearly Train of Naught with Solefald – World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud.
----------
Right off the bat I'm just going to say the obvious problem here: This album has way too many songs and a lot of them sound too much alike. 45 minutes, 12 tracks, all of them around the 3-5 minute range. The album is smart enough to, for the most part, sequence things in a way that two similar tracks aren't back to back, though it screws that up a little with tracks 9 through 11 all being triplet feel songs, but otherwise. A lot of these songs just... get lost in the shuffle for me. Coming For You basically lays all the album's tricks out on the table in a pretty solid opening, but that means the album doesn't really have a ton left to impress me with after. Deluge is pretty good, a nice intensity to that chorus. Ain't That a Female Dog is at least pretty memorable and different for its jazzier feel, and Luna has another solid chorus. A lot of the choruses here are pretty solid, really. Some of these tracks though, aside from the chorus, just blend together in my head and I can't tell you what a number of them sound like even after several listens through. And it definitely leans in too heavily on the djent tropes, a lot of the riffs here are pretty indistinct from each other. I'd call this your weakest submission so far, yeah, but I still think it's likely stronger than the other two that remain.

I am, of course, talking about ariich with Twelve Foot Ninja – Silent Machine.
----------
And that just leaves this one. I feel like this album is what happens when someone sees that memey "black metal is just surf rock with distortion" thing, except then it doesn't even play into the similarities and tries to merge the elements they don't have in common. Which is, really, not a bad idea. It makes for an album that is, on the surface, really interesting, but that freshness kind of wears off on relistens. Which would mean the music itself needs to stand out on its own to really keep a listener coming back. And I think it succeeds... sometimes. The title track, in particular, is mostly a good slice of more psychadelic-leaning sounds, though the flute sounds very out of place here. And Lost in Satan's Charms is a mostly pretty enjoyable song, but I don't like the intro/outro bit much, it doesn't take up a huge part of the song but it does diminish how much I like it at least somewhat. The Cannibal Tribe is probably the best-executed track overall though it's simultaneously not very memorable, so maybe I'm wrong there. I don't really care for how jagged Riders to Utopia sounds and the closer has a lot of really awkward vocal melodies in it. But overall though? Mmm... yeah, this is still kinda cool. I'll take my Oranssi Pazuzu any day over this, though, it's not gonna get a follow-up purchase, but I'm at least glad I listened to it.

No surprise here, it's Evermind with Hail Spirit Noir – Mayhem in Blue.
----------
Yeah, just from doing those writeups, I pretty strongly have a definitive loser here now. Sorry Train, but it looks like this station is your last stop. ariich and Evermind are through to the next round.

1. Structural Disorder – ...and The Cage Crumbles In The Final Scene
2. Dreamgrave – Presentiment
3. Hail Spirit Noir – Mayhem in Blue
4. Twelve Foot Ninja – Silent Machine
----------
5. Solefald – World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud

send me some round 4 goodness boys

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 3 Results)
« Reply #616 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »
interestingly, almost everyone left has won a round, except Evermind who aaaaalmost won round 1. c'mon dude it's your turn to shine this round  :metal

only 4 albums means i can probably do all of my listens in a single day each if i really feel like it, so this should be even faster than last round

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #617 on: July 09, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
Aww  :'( no writeup for mine, even though it showed up in the hangmanememe. I was hoodwinked! Or bamboozled. Paddywacked?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: July 09, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
i haven't listened to it yet lol
it's on my to-listen list, i actually spent a good chunk of my weekend burning through that list because i was way behind & it was piling up and stressing me out, but now it's just that album and one other album that i probably won't even listen all the way thru because i already checked out another album from the band and was meh about it

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: July 09, 2018, 10:44:03 PM »
We're down to four players? I'm honestly baffled at how I've got this far.

Also I'm kinda running out of black metal albums but let's see what I've got left in my list for this roulette.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #620 on: July 10, 2018, 12:27:10 AM »
This is their lowest rated album? Damn, looking forward to getting more into them then :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #621 on: July 10, 2018, 02:03:13 AM »
Phew, that was close! And yeah the Deluge chorus is epic, my favourite track on the album. Agree it can get a little samey.

For round 4, would you accept the first disc of a double album (it's around 35 mins)?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »
no. full album or nothing. unless it's a case like with baroness' yellow & green where it's literally two different albums packaged together

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
You know what, I don't want to pick the album today. I'll send something tomorrow, that's a promise.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #624 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
That's fine since I don't plan to listen today anyways

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #625 on: July 11, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »
Sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: July 12, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
Sent some death metal.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: July 12, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »
okay, should have everyone now, hangmentos when I get home & will start listening tonight

most of these look to be on the shorter side too which 1. Is good 2. means I should be able to go through all of these tonight and post first memepressions

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #628 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
hang

???: ___ __ _______ - _________: ___ _______
???: __ ___ _______ - _ ____ _____ ____ ___
???: _ ______ __ _____ - ______ ___ _____ ___ ______ ___
???: ___ ________ - __________

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 4 Hangladesh)
« Reply #629 on: July 12, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
T