Author Topic: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (The End (not the band))  (Read 38197 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (h)
« Reply #805 on: July 31, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
so yeah done with third listen. i have kind of a sliiight favorite i guess but i'm not sure yet. i'm gonna do another listen tomorrow i think & see if i can't settle it there. but i reeeeally do not need more music atm, tbh, i've spent a lot of time recently cutting down my list to a small enough size to actually start buying albums again, it's been a bit  :lol

also i don't think either of these albums are bad, they're just... "okay". they don't excite me, mostly :( genuinely think this is the only round in the entire roulette that had nothing i really dug, which is a bit of a sour note to end on, but that's also historically been the case with most of my roulettes (either only one EP i really dug, and even then didn't fully love) so EHH

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #806 on: July 31, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #807 on: July 31, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
I'm genuinely disappointed in myself for sending Absu in the first round. I really think I could have made it to the end if I hadn't sent that... I plead, temporary bout of insanity.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: July 31, 2018, 10:40:55 PM »
so yeah done with third listen. i have kind of a sliiight favorite i guess but i'm not sure yet. i'm gonna do another listen tomorrow i think & see if i can't settle it there. but i reeeeally do not need more music atm, tbh, i've spent a lot of time recently cutting down my list to a small enough size to actually start buying albums again, it's been a bit  :lol

also i don't think either of these albums are bad, they're just... "okay". they don't excite me, mostly :( genuinely think this is the only round in the entire roulette that had nothing i really dug, which is a bit of a sour note to end on, but that's also historically been the case with most of my roulettes (either only one EP i really dug, and even then didn't fully love) so EHH

You're welcome.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #809 on: August 01, 2018, 02:42:39 AM »
So, instead of not liking In the Silence, you could have let me go to the final two rounds :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #810 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »
good thing i did like in the silence, just less than everything else left

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #811 on: August 01, 2018, 01:33:28 PM »
hmm
----------
I think where this differs from your last submission is that... this sounds a lot more "polished". The melodies are a lot more straightforward, the vocals aren't as rough, the entire atmosphere is more inviting and warm than the Chiodos record.

That's... not what I want from a post-hardcore record, unfortunately, the rougher edge of that album & similar albums is what makes the style work for me, this is pretty much what I've experienced from dabbling in the genre a lot, I need good hooks and strong emotions and while I guess the latter is possible with a very "clean" sound the latter is not as easy to pull off. Most of the guitar melodies, while they sound nice, do nothing for me. Meanwhile I've had various bits of that Chiodos record bouncing around in my head for the last week & it's pretty decisively made its way onto my purchase list. I think this is almost a self-destroying entry from you because it's not doing anything that any of your previous albums did; it's not as technical as a lot of your submissions have been, it's not as fun or as weird, and it doesn't evoke as strong of emotions. That's basically the risk you take when you send a lot of similar stuff throughout the roulette, I guess, and a big part of why I try to mix things up when I play in roulettes  :lol

That being said. While the first five tracks do basically nothing for me, most everything past that point I think is pretty good.  A Tale of Outer Suburbia is probably the first track that makes me feel anything, Oceandust is a strong quiet track, No Parallels is easily the best cut of the record for me, and the closer A Fire on the Hill is a pretty strong finish too. The other two on the back half of the record are fine, probably better than any of the first 5 but they don't stand out as much. The end result is that I have a hard time getting into this album until almost halfway through, which is not a great way for an album to flow, at all. Thankfully it's fairly short though. Like I said, don't really dislike this album but as a whole it's only 'okay" and mostly for a strong second half.

That's ariich with Hands Like Houses - Unimagine.
----------
This album also has the unfortunate issue of just not living up to similar albums I've received in this roulette. Or at least, the one that's especially similar to it. What I've basically come to find I like most about black metal sounds in general are: 1. It absolutely has to be intense, I'm not here for grooves, I'm not here for sludgy riffing, I'm here for sounds that beat me over the head and overwhelm me and 2. There needs to be a strong melodic focus that is inherently tied into the intensity itself. Basically... lots of tremolo-picked melodies & appropriately intense drums, guitar chords, vocals etc. accompanying it. DWeF has obviously done a lot to shape my black metal tastes but it's kind of a characteristic shared by the other black metal albums that have really clicked for me, like Alrakis and Spectral Lore, though neither are quite as intense either.

Anyways, that makes it pretty clear where this fails for me - this is more Alcest-y in terms of blackgaze which means there's more of a focus on dreamy atmosphere and lush instrumentation than the intensity. Which isn't necessarily bad, I find it all very pleasant, but then there's two things... for one, I haven't been too into that sound much lately, and two, it's way too long for that kind of sound to continuously interest me. This is like, 65ish minutes and by the last 20 I'm just checked out because of the middle of this record being easily the weakest stretch. The first few tracks have a bit more of a prog lean, I especially like that bass break in Inhale, and then the last few tracks dial up the intensity a little, Fading With the Grey is my favorite here even if it does still kind of miss point #2 as outlined above, it's still satisfying enough. But it's really not enough to make me interested. Like the other album this round, this one is too... clean and edgeless for my preferences, and while I don't think there's anything I dislike here it doesn't keep me invested the whole way through and even the best stuff here doesn't impress me that much.

Those are some rambles on TAC with Heretoir - The Circle.
----------
With the above in mind, who am I gonna call the winner then? It's honestly not as straightforward as it's been in my other roulettes since I haven't been scoring.

But here's the thing. When there's an album that's not consistent all the way through but has some pretty strong highs, vs. an album that's pretty consistently okay but its peaks are pretty low, 10 times out of 10 I'm going to pick the one that has the higher highs, because I at least get -something- out of that. And it's especially easy when the one with the higher highs is 20 minutes shorter than its competitor and yet has just as much stuff I really dig in terms of its runtime. So yeah, with that in mind, the winner is...

ariich!!!

Congrats, enjoy the crown of thorns until next year or something.

I'm gonna do a follow-up post of my favorite albums from the roulette as well as my favorite songs from albums I wasn't as huge on, since I think that has value as well. Stay tuned for that, probably later tonight, I don't feel like writing anymore right now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:54:04 PM by Parama »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (The End (not the band))
« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
Yay! :D But boy did I scrape through that win. I get what you're saying about Hands Like Houses being much cleaner and more polished in tone, I guess I like different sides of post-hardcore but I appreciate that sort of style doesn't do so much for you. Glad there was at least some stuff you were able to enjoy in the back half though.

GG TAC

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #813 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
Congrats Ariich!!

Bummer. It's a miracle I made it this far.

I knew I was dead because I thought the HLH was just like Chiodis and that won the round before it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #814 on: August 01, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
Yay! :D But boy did I scrape through that win. I get what you're saying about Hands Like Houses being much cleaner and more polished in tone, I guess I like different sides of post-hardcore but I appreciate that sort of style doesn't do so much for you. Glad there was at least some stuff you were able to enjoy in the back half though.

the glassjaw songs i was sent in my EP round last roulette were like the big sleeper hit songs in that round, there's just something about post-hardcore that sounds that -raw- that I really dig more than the rest

I actually came upon an album I think would be super up your alley in terms of post-hardcore stuff through my own browsing and it's fairly obscure so I don't expect you've heard it but I'll save it for your roulette, whenever that's scheduled to happen (and if I'm even allowed in, since IIRC you wanted people who didn't play in your last one  :lol)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #815 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
I actually came upon an album I think would be super up your alley in terms of post-hardcore stuff through my own browsing and it's fairly obscure so I don't expect you've heard it but I'll save it for your roulette, whenever that's scheduled to happen (and if I'm even allowed in, since IIRC you wanted people who didn't play in your last one  :lol)
I think I've changed my mind about that actually, and I'm probably going to have a prelim round open to anyone.

EDIT: Oh and on timing, it'll be whenever Elite posts the next results and therefore starts on his final round!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:57:14 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #816 on: August 02, 2018, 10:18:26 AM »
oh excellent  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: August 03, 2018, 12:51:20 AM »
oh I didn't do this yet well let's

Favorite Albums From the Roulette (In No Particular Order)

Closure in Moscow - First Temple (ariich)
To be honest, I haven't listened to this one at all since round 0 ended, but that's because it went right onto my purchase list so I had no reason to relisten to it. First album of the roulette that -really- impressed me though. I'm sure I'll get a lot more spins out of it when I finally do place an order (hopefully this weekend!)

Sleepers Awake – Transcension (Train)
This one was a bit long so it naturally took a few more spins past normal listening to get into, but these guys have a knack for hooks that a lot of bands in this style don't seem to have & I'm definitely looking forward to delving further into this beast.

OWEL – OWEL (home)
One of the more emotive albums I received and one that grew on me really dang fast, I also haven't listened to this one in a bit but I'm especially looking forward to spinning it some more & eventually checking out the rest of these guys' discography.

Ultar – Kadath (Evermind)
I dunno what to say other than that this album singlehandedly made me interested in blackgaze again, a genre I'd pretty much written off. Way better than the new Deafheaven, too.

White Walls - Escape Artist (Elite)
This one has shrunk on me ever so slightly but I think that's mostly because it feels like they really blow their load with Dream Chaser right near the start & the rest of the album not quite living up to that standard. Still it's one I definitely want to keep spinning as it's right up my alley in terms of prog metal, there's a lot to pick apart here even after something like 5? listens I've given this now.

Structural Disorder – ...and The Cage Crumbles In The Final Scene (TAC)
Yeah, I've already mentioned how surprised I was by this one, but I mean, it's a genuine feeling of such, because this is just damn solid prog metal.

Dreamgrave – Presentiment (Elite)
I think this is everything I've ever wanted out of a Barren Earth album, tbh. I certainly like it more than either Barren Earth album I've heard. I dunno if I'm even bothered by the last track anymore, either, it's nice.

The Faceless - Autotheism (Evermind)
Yeah, another one I was surprised by though moreso because I had a different idea of what this band was vs. what they actually are. Definitely gonna dig into the other album that got brought up at some point, but I'm totally fine just sticking to this one for now.

Chiodos - Devil (ariich)
DEEEEEVIIIIILLLLLLL DON'T EVER LEEET MEE GOOOOOOOOOOOO  :metal

A Forest Of Stars – Beware The Sword You Cannot See (TAC)
I don't know if this is actually one of the 10 best albums in the roulette, but the other album I checked out from them right after absolutely would be here, and I can't really say that about any other albums I checked out from bands I wasn't too hot on. Except maybe Keep of Kalessin? I dunno, the two albums I spun from them this morning I didn't like quite as much as the one I was sent. That Keep of Kalessin album probably actually deserves to be here & I might still get it, dunno, but ehh, it's close anyways & Shadowplay was far better than either of those.

I'll do the songs thing tomorrow as I need to go back and look at some of the album tracklists real quick before I do that one, though I already have in mind a handful of songs that would definitely be there.

Also the scoreboard from above;
ariich - 2
TAC - 2
Evermind - 2
Elite - 2
Train - 1
home - 1

Surprise, the people who stayed in the roulette got more albums on this list, go figure, and the people who got cut early didn't make it on at all, "also a surprise". I dunno what that scoreboard really accomplishes other than basically show why the top 4 were the top 4  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: August 03, 2018, 01:22:29 AM »
I consider this to be a huge success on my part.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2018, 01:36:18 AM »
Glad I was able to contribute at least something! Their other album is pretty rad too :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #820 on: August 03, 2018, 01:38:09 AM »
you definitely did better here than in any of my past roulettes  :lol

between my previous two roulettes there were only 2 albums i picked up from around 24 or so artists you sent, vs 2 of the 6 you sent here, a way better ratio  :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #821 on: August 03, 2018, 01:43:55 AM »
Especially the mini roulette (which was basically almost the same as any normal roulette), he did terrible in that one

I think their other album is significantly weaker than the self-titled so you'll probably love it
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #822 on: August 03, 2018, 01:45:28 AM »
my post was at Ev btw, not home  :lol

home posted while i was typing & i was too lazy to edit

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #823 on: August 03, 2018, 01:50:08 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed some of the stuff I sent :)

Thanks for hosting the roulette (and for finding the time to listen to a bunch of albums within a week).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #824 on: August 05, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
so as per above all the albums i'm buying except the A Forest of Stars one (or trying to buy; a few of y'all sent stuff i can't find physical copies of & may have to settle for digital even though i know physical exists)

aside from that I got the other A Forest of Stars album because ooh lord that one was fantastic. and did end up getting the Keep of Kalessin album I was sent (though Kolossus is pretty solid too, I may get it later). and Oi Magoi by Hail Spirit Noir (also really good, way better than Mayhem in Blue tbh)

so all in all i got a good 12 albums out of this roulette, not half-bad  :lol

as for the songs i loved off albums I didn't care for as much thing; don't really think there's enough to do a full post for them & honestly i don't really have the time atm either but I pretty much already called them out in my writeups whenever applicable so whatever  :lol

while i have a habit of changing up my roulette format every time i run one i feel like next time i'm probably just going to use this format again, since it works out pretty well for me (takes a bit more time to listen to albums but the tradeoff is i have very little listening work to do after i'm done  :lol)

oh and puppies regarding the The End album - first track is pretty rockin', last track is a m a z i n g, most of the rest does absolutely nothing for me. oh well  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #825 on: August 05, 2018, 10:24:41 PM »

oh and puppies regarding the The End album - first track is pretty rockin', last track is a m a z i n g, most of the rest does absolutely nothing for me. oh well  :lol
I suppose that's a pretty fair assessment, even though I like most of the other tracks as well. It did take me quite some time to fully appreciate it, but every time I came back to it there would be one more thing that I would pick out that I loved.

Oh and I will probably end up sending you a copy of the EP I'm making for Elite's roulette (even though you might know one or two of the songs on it) after he does hangmanenememes for the EP round.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #826 on: August 06, 2018, 01:14:33 AM »
A heads-up before trying to get the White Walls album; they have it on bandcamp, but they apparently have some issues with it and don't receive all orders. I found out the hard way, but was lucky enough to actually see the band live in Romania (where they're from). I had a chat with the band and asked them about the missing CD I ordered - initially I though maybe something went wrong in the mail, which would have been shit as well - but the band explained the e-mail problem, handed me the CD and signed it as well. So, if you don't get the 'shipped' notification from bandcamp, you might want to send them an e-mail or something.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #827 on: August 06, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »
it's like $22 for me to get it there  :lol
which is a lot for just one CD. i see it comes with a DVD and that's cool and all i guess but i'm just interested in the CD