3 (8.6%)
drummer
3 (8.6%)
bassist
5 (14.3%)
I can't tell that
16 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Most important member in a band?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline WildRanger

Most important member in a band?
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
In your opinion who and why?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Most important member in a band?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
It's more the creative force in the band.  In Iron Maiden, it's the bassist.  In Dream Theater right now, It's the guitarist and to a lesser extent, the keyboardist.  It isn't the instrument,  it's the creator.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
"Most important member in a band?" thread, a.k.a. "Screw you, keyboard players" thread. :biggrin:

But yeah, what King said, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
the saxophonist

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
That guy that plays cowbell in that song

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
From a compositional standpoint, in my opinion the keyboard/piano is the best instrument to lay a foundation for a piece which then can be built around effectively, especially to create the basic structure and to play with (vocal) melodies.

Decided to interpret it this way because the thread topic itself makes 0 sense, it obviously depends on the people in the band, their personalities and the way they interact.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
It's more the creative force in the band.  In Iron Maiden, it's the bassist.  In Dream Theater right now, It's the guitarist and to a lesser extent, the keyboardist.  It isn't the instrument,  it's the creator.

It kinda kills the discussion when the most correct reply is already the first one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:49:55 PM »
Depends on the band, although if the singer is bad, then he can screw it up for everyone else.

Could you pick a "most important" member of Rush?  In Iron Maiden, the "most important" member is arguably the bass player, but the bass player in Judas Priest might be the least important member (I think a trained panda could probably handle most of Ian Hill's parts).  In Jethro Tull, the "most important" member is the flautist.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »

^Pretty much this. 

But trying to put this in a context where we can actually debate/discuss it:  If we are talking about rock/metal bands, and talking about performance of the music itself (vs. the creative vision and creation of the music), I would say it's a tough call between vocalist and guitarist.  For the vast majority of songs, the guitar riffs, chord progressions, and solos, and the vocalist's singing are at the forefront.  Those are what people pay the most attention to.  Those are what people remember.  Those are what people focus on primarily and remember the most.  When you hear a song for the first time and are forming that initial impression about whether or not you like it, it is usually one or both of those.  Unless there is a very specific and unique thing the bass or drums (or keyboards) are doing, that isn't what stands out.  I can think of obvious exceptions.  For instance, as a young kid, when Another One Bites the Dust was all over the radio back in 1980 or whenever that was, it is obviously that very prominent bass line that grabs your attention and is the main driving force in that song.  But, again, that is the exception rather than the rule.  Even in a band like Dream Theater where you have virtuosos like John Myung on bass and Mike Portnoy or Mike Mangini on drums, on most songs, for most people, the immediate hook will be the guitar or the singing.  You usually notice the drums, bass, and keyboards later, or at least, to a lesser degree.

Having narrowed it down to guitar and vocals, I'm really hard pressed to pick one over the other.  It really depends.  But if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I'm going to go with vocalist, for basically two reasons.  First, you sing along to the vocals, which makes them stick in your head.  Even if you don't know the words, how many of us have caught ourselves involuntarily humming along to a vocal line in a song?  It is infectious and hard NOT to do when a song speaks to us on any level.  I remember a quote from Ritchie Sambora a long time ago, where he was saying that the best, most effective guitar solos were the ones that weren't necessarily the ones that had mind-bending shredding going on.  They are the ones that are melodic that make people involuntarily hum along.  That quote about his philosophy as a guitar player has always resonated with me.  And I think it really speaks to the quality of vocals in any given song.  Second, more often than not, the singer is a HUGE part of the recognizable signature sound of any given band.  Even people that have a terrible ear for music who could never recognize a guitar player's signature sound can usually recognize their favorite singer by voice, even if presented with a new song they haven't heard before.  There is something unique about the voice that an instrument cannot fully capture.

So, yeah.  For what it's worth, my vote goes to vocalist.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
The thread topic itself makes 0 sense, it obviously depends on the people in the band, their personalities and the way they interact.

Hell, the question isn't even clear. Most important member in a band for what? Writing songs? Writing lyrics? Performing? Being the loudest on a recording? Being the best guitar player? Drinking most beer back-stage? Come on man...
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
I abstain from this one.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
I also agree with Bosk, but as he did with Another One Bites the Dust, I think we can have exceptions for other specific songs. For example, in Smoke on the Water it's the riff the most memorable part of the song. The coworker that sits next to me knows next to nothing about rock music, and when I asked him to name me a Deep Purple song, he hummed the riff of Smoke on the Water without even being able to remember the title of the song.

But yeah, generally the voice of a band is the most important, unique and defining element.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
I know who the most important member in Radiohead is though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Is that Tom York morphing into Yoda? It's a bit scary...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
In terms of making a band stand out, definitely the singer. While there are many different techniques for playing instruments, they're going to sound basically like what they are. Drums will always sound like drums. Guitars will always sound like guitars. But the human voice is so individual, and the singer is quite literally the voice of the band, the spokesperson that transmits the band's message to the rest of humankind. Gotta be the singer.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
I voted vocalist. That's in most cases the first thing you either like or don't like about a band.  Vocals are usually very personal as well, in the sense that you sing a long to a lot of songs.  Sure some of us also air drum and hum the guitar/keyboard/base lines, but its the vocals that connect with most people (I'm thinking more than just the rock genre too, such as pop which is pretty much all about the vocals). 

however,

I think this is the real answer.  There's often the one person in the band who is the leader and who writes most of the music.  That person is probably the most important as that person is who artistically makes the band what it is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
I was initially going to agree it's the 'lead creative force' but what about circumstances in which said individual is no longer in the mix? Part of why I abstained from voting is because for me, my favorite band ever (Stratovarius) lost the guy who wrote 99.9% of the music and lyrics and handled the production and arrangements, and yet their last 4 albums without him in the band have been some of their best stuff ever: musically, lyrically, production, arrangements, artwork, the works. Now everybody else contributes equally. So it raises another interesting question: when that original 'leader' leaves, is the band still the same band, even if they carry on with the same musical style and themes? I guess what I'm asking is this: is there room for changing of the guard, after the established leader leaves? I feel that's kind of relevant.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
Yoda or Gollum.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »

No, that's just Thom Yorke, why?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »
YEEESSSSS.   Stop the noise, please you could, Rest I'm trying to get some
From all chicken, unborn voices in my head....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
It depends on the band, honestly. Whoever has the most creative control is obviously the answer, but even different genres will place emphasis on different band members. For something like Meshuggah, the drummer and guitars are more important. For a symphonic metal band like Epica, it'd be the vocalist and keys/guest orchestral musicians. For a pop band, it's the vocalist. For a classical piece, it's never the violist. For Rush, it's the bass and drums. For Yes, it's mostly equal. And so on.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »
I was initially going to agree it's the 'lead creative force' but what about circumstances in which said individual is no longer in the mix? Part of why I abstained from voting is because for me, my favorite band ever (Stratovarius) lost the guy who wrote 99.9% of the music and lyrics and handled the production and arrangements, and yet their last 4 albums without him in the band have been some of their best stuff ever: musically, lyrically, production, arrangements, artwork, the works. Now everybody else contributes equally. So it raises another interesting question: when that original 'leader' leaves, is the band still the same band, even if they carry on with the same musical style and themes? I guess what I'm asking is this: is there room for changing of the guard, after the established leader leaves? I feel that's kind of relevant.

I think it depends case by case. For example I don't see Dream Theater sounding and "feeling" like Dream Theater should John Petrucci be out of the band. I know that most people couldn't figure either the band being the same without Portnoy, but it happened, so we don't have the counter proof, but Petrucci is more vital for the DT core sound.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51:30 PM »
As a bassist I’m a bit biased, but the bass is the bridge between the rhythm and the melody.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
Every single band with a bassist would sound like shit without a bassist.

Then again; every instrument contributes to the sound in some way.
Squ

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 01:50:26 AM »
There's no such thing. Every member brings their identity/personality into the music. You can't say "if this guy wasn't playing/singing it wouldn't make a difference."

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 02:00:16 AM »
Obviously the accordion player whenever he's in a band.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 05:54:44 AM »

I don't think there is a correct answer to that, and if there was it depends on the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 06:13:35 AM »

I don't think there is a correct answer to that, and if there was it depends on the band.

And you call yourself a guitarist.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
In most cases i'd say the vocalist because they are usually the face of the band and a change could change the band's entire sound. It's actually hard for me to get into bands that have a lot of vocalist changes.

Though some bands do make it work. I like all eras of Iron maiden and almost every era of Black Sabbath.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »
Though some bands do make it work. I like all eras of Iron maiden and almost every era of Black Sabbath.

Well, in both situations there was a constant member who had the leadership and the vision, and was also the major songwriter...

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 07:26:35 AM »

Well, in both situations there was a constant member who had the leadership and the vision, and was also the major songwriter...

Thats why I said in most cases.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
Bosk nailed it:  there is "creation" and "performance".    I don't think "instrument" matters in "creation"; it's whoever has that intangible to write songs and know how to present the idea.  In Twisted Sister, it's the singer.  In Maiden, it's the bass player.   In Dire Straits, it's the guitar player.  Etc.   

I do know this though:  you can't have a truly GREAT band without a great drummer.   We can debate "great", I suppose, but in my opinion there is no truly "great" band without a great drummer.   Kiss is the best example; when he was young, poor and hungry, Peter Criss was a dynamo.   Listen to the live set at Winterland in '75.  They are EN FUEGO.   He hit the skids, and the band hit the skids, and didn't pull out of it until they got Eric Carr, and all of a sudden the critics are like "wow, Kiss can play!"  Sabbath has a similar trajectory with Bill Ward.  Priest; they put out some decent (some might say great) albums with their revolving cast of characters behind the kit, but didn't break through until the legendary Les Binks got on board.   Rush:  Peart.   Purple:  Solid as a rock for 50 years despite a revolving cast of characters.  Why?  Because Little Ian Paice is as reliable as a Swiss watch.  He falters?  The band decides this is the last tour.    Yes.   A live powerhouse.   Recently?  Not so much, and most point the finger at Alan White. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
It's really a tie between whoever wrote the majority of the songs, and the voice that ties it together.

The voice alone, even if a lyric writer, to me, doesn't qualify as the most important person in a band. Because the person or people who wrote the actual music are also vital.

It really depends on the band. In Sevendust, for example, the main music and lyric writers are Clint Lowery, Morgan Rose, and John Connolly. But obviously, vocalist Lajon Witherspoon is vital, and he DOES write lyrics too. When Clint was out of Sevendust, they still sounded great, but the records they did were missing his melodic touch.

In Queensryche, it very much started out with DeGarmo/Wilton/Tate, before it ultimately transitioned more to DeGarmo/Tate. Without DeGarmo, QR never sounded quite right, and without Tate, while they are good, and work hard to write in the same general vein, you can tell the difference.

Alice in Chains is another one -- Layne Staley wrote lyrics, but also music (Angry Chair is a solo credit to him, I believe). Once he was gone, while AiC still sounds great, they are missing Layne's more...creepy vibe. But had Jerry been gone, it would have missed him.

So, for me, it is vital to have the main songwriters in the band, performing. Without them, it naturally just takes a different course. But it is all so subjective...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 10:18:55 AM »
I picked, I can't tell, because that's why it's called a band.
It's a group of people making music together and that only works when all of them are there.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »

I do know this though:  you can't have a truly GREAT band without a great drummer.

I would say Metallica is a truly great band without a great drummer. Lars is better than a lot of people give him credit for, but he still isn’t a world class drummer. Still, Metallica are titans in the music industry and their live performances still kick ass.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask