Author Topic: Supreme Court Overturns Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act  (Read 262 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/us/politics/supreme-court-sports-betting-new-jersey.html

Thoughts on the Supreme Court ruling?  (I know many here are more knowledgeable than myself about the Supreme Court and its rulings)

I'm all for freedoms of choice, including the choice to gamble ones money.  So I am for it, but I am not a gambler so this isn't a personal issue for me.  However, I do know some people who I feel like will be losing lots of money gambling now.  Oh well, I can't say I care much for those people and their choices, but am interesting to see how others feel.  This is kind of big news in NJ.  Sports betting spots are set to open Memorial Day weekend around here because of this news (NJ was kind of heading this fight to get some money back into Atlantic City, so the state was prepared for this).  The local sports radio pretty much favored it saying it's a winning situation for the leagues because there will be more interest now especially in games that aren't of the best/popular teams. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I get it that these things happened before illegally so I feel like this is just coming clean. I mean, if they calculate that there was a yearly amount of $150 Billion dollars in illegal betting then you might as well bring it forward and make some money out of it. It is troubling to me that they will allow bets in amateur sports since those are very prone to being arranged more than professional sports. I've read about tennis players that were convicted for losing intentionally.
There's also the matter of what you can bet on. For example, in soccer in Europe you can actually place bets on which minute one team will get the first corner of the match. That's beyond ridiculous yet there have been cases were players have been charged with directly affecting betting results.

Overall I don't think it's a bad thing if you place the proper controls so that the system doesn't get abused.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
In a general sense I feel about like you do. I'm not crazy about gambling, but I'm certainly enough of a libertarian to say we should let people wreck their lives. And hell, this is actually more benign than other ways we allow people to destroy themselves. Legalized gambling isn't even particularly exploitative. Unlike, say, the perfectly legal payday lenders that'll pop up next to the bookmaker's.

I might have some problems with the legal decision, but I haven't had the opportunity to dig into it yet.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Yea, I'm not really into the idea of gambling on the amateur level.  I think it should be legalized from my own fundamental opinion of the world, but I think they need to put in extra efforts to make sure the college kids aren't getting caught up in it because they are much more easily susceptible and already have a lot going on with tempting cash offers as is.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh right, I didn't associate college sport with amateur sport. That will surely work well, it's not like they've had scandals with the FBI recently that would make us suspect everything won't be dandy.....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Honestly this whole thing has me very confused because I thought sports betting was already a very common and popular thing for people to do out in the open.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
It's been done, but other than horses, it has been illegal in all states except Nevada. Any sports booking done elsewhere is is done through a bookie.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of