Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why
9 (2.6%)
Eagles - In the City
10 (2.9%)
Eagles - Seven Bridges Road
5 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: February 20, 2024, 08:03:38 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by Eagles  (Read 5613 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Your favorites of these songs by Eagles
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2023, 09:40:05 AM »
I didn’t get this from the internet. This has been common knowledge to me since the mid 80’s.
Well, it's not true, so substitute whatever you want for "the internet".

Wait.. the next thing you’re going to tell me is that Paul is NOT dead?

So what you’re telling me is that those lyrics do not serve as metaphors for Christ?

If not, what do they mean?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2023, 06:39:46 AM »
I think it's about the decadence and loss of values in Los Angeles specifically and America generally.  Henley has been on record pretty consistently about this song.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2023, 07:53:02 AM »
Henley and Frey - 2 of the biggest douchebags in music.  But, they've written some of the best rock songs ever.

Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer
The Eagles - The Last Resort (my favorite Eagles tune)
The Eagles - Hotel California (no matter how overplayed it is, I'll never turn it off)
The Eagles - Take It Easy
The Eagles - Witchy Woman
The Eagles - One Of These Nights
The Eagles - Life In The Fast Lane

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2023, 08:34:36 AM »
I think it's about the decadence and loss of values in Los Angeles specifically and America generally.  Henley has been on record pretty consistently about this song.
Yep.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2023, 07:45:17 PM »
This thread inspired me to hit their catalog. I knew all the radio hits like the back of my hand, had some familiarity with other tracks, but there were some songs I bet I've never heard before. I have little interest in 70s rock these days, and when it was all I listened to the Eagles were never a favorite, but found myself enjoying these albums more than I expected to in 2023. Not something I'm going to revisit but it made for some pleasant listening these last couple days.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2023, 09:16:24 AM »
I get on an Eagles kick once every other year or so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »
My wife is a big Eagles fan.  I like a lot of their songs, many of which have made it to the big playlist in the car.  The other day, "On the Border" came up, one of my favorites, and she asked if we could skip it.  She doesn't like that song.

What??  But that's one of their more rocking tunes!  Oh, that's right; rocking doesn't matter as much to Mrs. Orbert.  She prefers the mellower side of Eagles.

But the song "On the Border"rocks.  That beat.

You in some trouble, boy
♫ We know where you've been! ♪♫

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2023, 09:28:33 AM »
I'm sorry to be negative, but I hear Boys of Summer, or Hotel California, and think, wow, I have to give these guys another shot!  There MUST be some other gems in there, right? They didn't get that big out of dumb luck, right?

Eh. 

My mom had a two-CD greatest hits set that I swiped, and man.  FOR ME, they just MIGHT have gotten lucky (though I like the Joe Walsh stuff, I like "The Long Run" and I like "Already Gone".   But something like "Take It Easy" is everything I dislike about Glenn Frey (and Jackson Browne, for that matter, who cowrote the song, and that southern, So-Cal soft  rock in general).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
My wife is a big Eagles fan.  I like a lot of their songs, many of which have made it to the big playlist in the car.  The other day, "On the Border" came up, one of my favorites, and she asked if we could skip it.  She doesn't like that song.

What??  But that's one of their more rocking tunes!  Oh, that's right; rocking doesn't matter as much to Mrs. Orbert.  She prefers the mellower side of Eagles.

But the song "On the Border"rocks.  That beat.

You in some trouble, boy
♫ We know where you've been! ♪♫

Absolutley one of my favorite Eagles songs.

something like "Take It Easy" is everything I dislike about Glenn Frey (and Jackson Browne, for that matter, who cowrote the song, and that southern, So-Cal soft  rock in general).
Goddammit Stadler

Online HOF

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2023, 10:06:32 AM »
I'm sorry to be negative, but I hear Boys of Summer, or Hotel California, and think, wow, I have to give these guys another shot!  There MUST be some other gems in there, right? They didn't get that big out of dumb luck, right?

Eh. 

My mom had a two-CD greatest hits set that I swiped, and man.  FOR ME, they just MIGHT have gotten lucky (though I like the Joe Walsh stuff, I like "The Long Run" and I like "Already Gone".   But something like "Take It Easy" is everything I dislike about Glenn Frey (and Jackson Browne, for that matter, who cowrote the song, and that southern, So-Cal soft  rock in general).

For me Hotel California is one of those nail on chalkboard songs I don’t really want to hear again. Desperado, however, I’ve always really liked and wondered if there was more of that in there somewhere. But as I said elsewhere in this thread, I dislike most of what I’ve heard from Eagles and their individual members aside from some Henley songs that I really do like.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2023, 10:08:44 AM »
Oh, and kudos to Kev for getting their name right.  It's "Eagles", not "The Eagles", according to Glenn Frey, who was pretty adamant about that for some reason.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2023, 10:37:46 AM »
For me Hotel California is one of those nail on chalkboard songs I don’t really want to hear again. Desperado, however, I’ve always really liked and wondered if there was more of that in there somewhere. But as I said elsewhere in this thread, I dislike most of what I’ve heard from Eagles and their individual members aside from some Henley songs that I really do like.
Listen to the whole Desperado album.  It's a concept album about the Old West and gunfighters.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2024, 07:09:02 PM »
Did not see an officials Eagles thread, and didn't want to start a new one. I have seen a bunch of videos in my YT feed proclaiming that Don Henley has been using pre-recorded vocals at concerts for years. Is this a huge deal? Do we care? Is this part of a bigger issue we need to be aware of?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2024, 09:08:53 AM »
I care.  Not a lot, because I'm not a huge Eagles fan, but they have some good songs and always put on a good show.  To be honest, I've always marvelled at how well they can reproduce those great harmonies live.  I guess that's much easier if you're using pre-recorded vocals.  So fuck them.  My wife is a huge Eagles fan, and I'm glad I never got talked into going to see them in concert.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2024, 09:19:15 AM »
The bigger picture, as I see it, is the growing acceptance of pre-recorded vocals and instrumental tracks during a live performance.  Some say that the most important thing is that everything sounds good, and it's not always possible to do that with the personnel on stage.  In that case, do different songs, hire extra guns to play those parts, or something.  But making everything sound good is not more important than the purity of the performance.  I don't want to hear anything coming out of the mains that isn't coming from someone on stage, period.  I've been playing live music for over 50 years, and I guess that makes me old school, old fashioned, old fogey, whatever.  Get the fuck out of here with that pre-recorded shit.  It ain't live if you have to press Play to make it happen.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2024, 09:31:24 AM »
Did not see an officials Eagles thread, and didn't want to start a new one. I have seen a bunch of videos in my YT feed proclaiming that Don Henley has been using pre-recorded vocals at concerts for years. Is this a huge deal? Do we care? Is this part of a bigger issue we need to be aware of?
Yes, it's a huge deal, if true.

Online HOF

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2024, 10:35:20 AM »
Are we talking about pre-recorded backing vocals, or lead vocals? Because I think lots of bands have used pre-recorded backing vocals to fill out the sound or parts that can't be easily reproduced live.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2024, 11:40:57 AM »
I care. A lot. So much so that I probably won't go to see a band (*cough* Motley) if I am aware of this beforehand.

But, and this is a big one, I also am fully aware that I am in the vast minority.

Anecdotally, I am the only 'musician' I know among my friends and family. Let's say that's 50 people total, I can guarantee you that if I were to bring this topic up in the middle of our next reunion/get-together, I will get nothing but shoulder shrugs.

My older sister LOVES Motley Crue. She asked me to go to see them last year, and I flat out said 'no.' When I explained my issues with the band live (pre-recorded tracks, an awful lead singer, a bass player who allegedly doesn't have his amp on), my sister was like, "but, the songs are soooo good!"

And that's when it hit me: we are all getting something different out of music, and for my sister (and millions of others), the show was more important than the performance. She wanted a night out, and by hook or by crook, she was going to get it.

So, I will happily sit here on my little island and listen to my albums all the way through, refuse to sign up for a facebook account, and continue to try to call people (as opposed to texting) because I prefer talking to typing.

Me and the other 2% of the population will have a huge issue with Henley, and everyone else will be at the show (probably recording it with their cell phone! :mehlin)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2024, 11:44:20 AM »
Are we talking about pre-recorded backing vocals, or lead vocals? Because I think lots of bands have used pre-recorded backing vocals to fill out the sound or parts that can't be easily reproduced live.
Some bands do that, but they don't normally have people on stage lip-synching to those pre-recorded background vocals, pretending to sing them.  THAT is what is being talked about here, in a band where the vocals are a major part of the draw.

Online HOF

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2024, 11:49:43 AM »
Some bands do that, but they don't normally have people on stage lip-synching to those pre-recorded background vocals, pretending to sing them.  THAT is what is being talked about here, in a band where the vocals are a major part of the draw.

Cool Chris didn't actually describe what was being done. Just said he's been using backing tracks. Also didn't say if it was with Eagles or just Henley solo or what. Anyone have a link to a specific video with specific accusations?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2024, 12:17:47 PM »
Anyone have a link to a specific video with specific accusations?

There's this one..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9nn40ktpA

Here the Wings Of Pegasus guy does a side by side analysis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6DbH-X-L0
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2024, 05:20:49 PM »
I really like the album ‘On The Border’.  This was a transitional album for Eagles with the addition of Don Felder.  Good mix of ballads and rockin songs.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2024, 06:06:23 PM »
I don’t know that I’m quite as black-and-white as Orbert is, but I do tend to side with wanting as much as possible to be from the stage. I mean heck, even Rush piped in some of the sampling and keyboard material because it was just too much for one man to play. But at least they were honest about it. Geddy always referred to “Jack Secret”, so they were always completely honest about it, and I felt like they had the same attitude that most of the fans had.

It’s the dishonesty I have a problem with. I think that if an artist is going to be using a lot of pre-recorded things they should be upfront about it and honest with the fans and the people in attendance.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2024, 09:45:08 PM »

There's this one..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9nn40ktpA

Here the Wings Of Pegasus guy does a side by side analysis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6DbH-X-L0

Wings of Pegasus was where I first saw it. I like that guy but he gets too far in to the weeds with stuff that is way over my head and out of my interest level so I stopped watching him.

Online HOF

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2024, 11:19:34 PM »
So it looks like the accusation is that Henley is lip syncing some or all of his lead vocals. That sort of thing does bother me, and I would probably be annoyed to see a concert where it was happening and it wasn’t like just covering up somebody performing in some other way. But also Don Henley is like 85 and has sounded horse since the 80s, so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised he’s gone this route.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2024, 09:30:51 AM »
Independent of the notion of lip-synching or not - I'm personally of the opinion that I want to see the people PLAY, and if they augment with players that aren't on stage for logistics reasons, I can accept that, but I want to hear them sing and play - there's also the part that goes to the person.   Don Henley is, by many accounts, a dick, and he's usually the first to call out other people.  So I wouldn't be going to see Henley anyway, and then to find out he's not even really singing, well...   he's not that good a drummer and instrumentalist, so why would I see him?  At least with Paul Stanley (assuming he was really lip-synching) you can see Gene Simmons and the rest of the extravaganza that is Kiss.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2024, 12:10:13 PM »
At least with Paul Stanley (assuming he was really lip-synching) you can see Gene Simmons and the rest of the extravaganza that is Kiss.

Assuming?? Are you serious?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2024, 09:34:11 AM »
It's too soon.  I'm still in denial.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2024, 09:48:38 AM »
It's too soon.  I'm still in denial.

Well, maybe the um..avatars will actually be singing. :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2024, 11:31:50 AM »
Well, maybe the um..avatars will actually be singing. :lol
:lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2024, 10:52:08 PM »
Piping in backing vocals is not too concerning to me. Of course I would prefer if everything I hear was played live but....
Piping in lead vocals though.... that is way beyond the line

On another note. I see I have voted but not commented before.
I am a casual fan of Eagles. I  like some and love some. However I absolutely adore some of Don Henley's solo work.
One of my all time favorit songs is by him and to my dismay I see it has only got 12 votes.
Where is the love for New York Minute? Can't be just me who adore it totally, can it?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2024, 07:35:56 AM »
Piping in backing vocals is not too concerning to me. Of course I would prefer if everything I hear was played live but....
Piping in lead vocals though.... that is way beyond the line

On another note. I see I have voted but not commented before.
I am a casual fan of Eagles. I  like some and love some. However I absolutely adore some of Don Henley's solo work.
One of my all time favorit songs is by him and to my dismay I see it has only got 12 votes.
Where is the love for New York Minute? Can't be just me who adore it totally, can it?

I don't like Don Henley, personally, but "Boys Of Summer" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2024, 07:59:02 AM »
I don't like Don Henley, personally, but "Boys Of Summer" is one of the greatest songs ever written.
Agreed

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2024, 10:07:40 AM »
Agreed

Boys of summer is a very, very good song but to me it's New York Minute that takes the cake and runs with it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2024, 10:53:23 AM »
Boys of summer is a very, very good song but to me it's New York Minute that takes the cake and runs with it.
I like that one too, but for me, it doesn't hold up to Boys of Summer.  Tastes and opinions, amirite?

I also like his song The Garden of Allah from his greatest hits package, Actual Miles.