Poll

Choose your LEAST favorite

Fade to Black
9 (42.9%)
Creeping Death
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: May 11, 2018, 04:57:33 PM

Author Topic: Metallica Survivor 2017-18: Ride the Lightning: Final Round  (Read 526 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Results from round 6.

Ride the Lightning: 7 (46.7%)
Fade to Black: 2 (13.3%)
Creeping Death: 6 (40%)

Ride the Lightning is out! It will be placed in the consolation round while Fade to Black and Creeping Death automatically advance to the finals. Time to crown an album champion.

Fade to Black

01:
02:

03: Ride the Lightning
04: For Whom the Bell Tolls
05: The Call of Ktulu
06: Fight Fire With Fire
07: Trapped Under Ice
08: Escape
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

Re: Metallica Survivor 2017-18: Ride the Lightning: Final Round
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »
Time for Fade to Black to fade to black.

On a side note that probably would have been more appropriate earlier in the MoP threads, I recently did some reading about the production of this album and the band's apparent disdain for Escape.  I remember reading something way back when about the band being annoyed at having made a blatant attempt at a "hit single" type of song.  The article didn't mention the song by name, but there was a comment along the lines of:  "everyone knows what song it is."  I always assumed it was Fade to Black and thought it was odd because FtB did get a lot of airplay (in Southern California at least) and really helped advance the band's career.  Ironic that the song written for the express purpose of getting radio play got none (or virtually no play).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
ftb

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
Creeping Death for the win! :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:04:18 AM »
Creeping Death for the win! :metal

Of this round, of the whole survivor, of the world championship and of everything else in the world!  :metal :metal :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 04:21:53 AM »
Creeping Death

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:03:46 AM »
Creeping Death

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
I vote for Fade to Black.

I fully expect Fade to win this, but for me, Creeping Death is the best song on this record, and on some days, my favorite Metallica song period.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 07:56:16 AM »
Creep

Offline DTA

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »

On a side note that probably would have been more appropriate earlier in the MoP threads, I recently did some reading about the production of this album and the band's apparent disdain for Escape.  I remember reading something way back when about the band being annoyed at having made a blatant attempt at a "hit single" type of song.  The article didn't mention the song by name, but there was a comment along the lines of:  "everyone knows what song it is."  I always assumed it was Fade to Black and thought it was odd because FtB did get a lot of airplay (in Southern California at least) and really helped advance the band's career.  Ironic that the song written for the express purpose of getting radio play got none (or virtually no play).

I know James hates it because it was purposely written as a "single", and the only time it's ever been played was when they played the RTL in its entirety during their Orion Festival in 2012. I think it fits well with the other songs on the album and don't quite get the dislike for it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »

I know James hates it because it was purposely written as a "single", and the only time it's ever been played was when they played the RTL in its entirety during their Orion Festival in 2012. I think it fits well with the other songs on the album and don't quite get the dislike for it.

Yes, James has expressed this several times in interviews over the years. Originally, he wasn't a fan of the song because he felt the label basically forced them to include it. And then they clearly chose to not play it for over 20 years...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

Yeah...I don't get it either.  He struggled with the vocals at the Orion Fest, and I saw something where Kirk Hammett mentioned that it's in a key that isn't well suited for the band as a whole (which is probably a polite way of saying it's not a good key for James's voice).  The funniest thing about the Orion Fest performance is how obvious it is that James doesn't want to play the song and much that fact amuses Lars.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
Happy enough with these results. My own ranking (love all the songs, album's a masterpiece, their 3rd best after Puppets and Justice):

1. The Call of Ktulu
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Fade to Black
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Creeping Death
6. Escape
7. Trapped Under Ice
8. Fight Fire With Fire

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Happy enough with these results. My own ranking (love all the songs, album's a masterpiece, their 3rd best after Puppets and Justice):

1. The Call of Ktulu
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Fade to Black
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Creeping Death
6. Escape
7. Trapped Under Ice
8. Fight Fire With Fire

My ranking:

1. Creeping Death
2. Call of Ktulu
3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
4. Fade to Black
5. Escape
6. Ride the Lightning
7/8. Fight Fire with Fire/Trapped Under Ice