Author Topic: Cobra Kai  (Read 11757 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Cobra Kai
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:47:45 AM »
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but I watched the first two episodes on YouTube last night and it's actually pretty cool. Looks like I'll have to get the free 30 day trial of YouTube Red to binge the rest because I really enjoyed the first two episodes.

https://youtu.be/xCwwxNbtK6Y
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:32:07 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Cobra Kai - YouTube Red
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:54 PM »
Cobra Kai NEVER DIES!!!   :metal :metal :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdZnB_2drc

But in all seriousness, that looks fucking incredible. I LOVE Karate kid and that Jaden smith shit can take a walk. Its always been Johnny vs Daniel son
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:30:26 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »
I've also watched the first two episodes, it's great! I will also take the 30 day trial to binge the rest of the season. Looks really promising!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
Yeah, I did the two free episodes last night as well. I was very happy. Its really cool and very surreal. Good stuff. Now I need to do the trial as well. I must see the rest.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 11:16:21 AM »
I cracked up when Johnny grabbed that kids inhaler....threw it across the room and told him he doesn't have asthma anymore   :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 12:23:17 AM »
Signed up for the free trial. Six episodes in and this is a really good show. The Johnny character is freaking hilarious and it’s odd how I’ve found myself totally rooting for him and thinking Daniel is a complete dick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:28:50 AM »
I love how it subverts the original relationship. Now Dan is the dick and johnny is the underdog in a way. I also got the free trial and am halfway done.

I absolutely love the show. Karate kid was one of my favorite movies growing up and I can't believe how well this show came out. Its super surreal, and was a roll of the dice. But they won big. Its great.

Just finished the whole series and I am speechless. That was really something special. A lot of really beautiful, touching stuff going on.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:21:07 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
Without spoiling.....is there potential for another season?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »
hell yeah there is  :metal

I seriously thought this would be one and done, but season 1 ends both in a satisfying manor and in a manor that could set up for a very solid season 2. So either way, its win win.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:42:14 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
Just finished it. Wow. Like you Phoenix I’m pleasantly surprised at how good this came off. Just really well done. I think they absolutely set up a season two. There’s plenty to build off of and explore.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 06:02:36 AM »
Just watched the trailer...I can't wait to check it out!! Looks like a Saturday binge.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:32:48 AM »
Just watched the trailer...I can't wait to check it out!! Looks like a Saturday binge.

It’s about 5 hours of content so easily doable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 06:43:06 AM »
Yeah, I did in over two nightshifts at work. And the episodes are like 30 mins each, so its not bad at all.

I have to admit, I got kinda of teary eyed with the Miyagi flashbacks and then it would cut to Daniel now training his new student with the old music coming in  :heart   Really beautiful stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »
Yeah, I did in over two nightshifts at work. And the episodes are like 30 mins each, so its not bad at all.

I have to admit, I got kinda of teary eyed with the Miyagi flashbacks and then it would cut to Daniel now training his new student with the old music coming in  :heart   Really beautiful stuff.

There were several moments throughout that were 'teary eyed' moments. It was so unexpected. I know we've been saying it a lot in this thread but I was just caught off guard at how 'good' the series was. I'm not trying to make it out as the second coming of Breaking Bad or something like that....but I was really expecting something along the lines of a 'straight to DVD' type show....something way less involved and character driven. But this really nailed the story and it has some serious relationship/character driven themes. They just did a really good job with it. It could have been a disaster but I think they captured something good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
So, after having had huge success, apparently a season 2 has been approved and its coming out 2019.

My body is ready

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
So, after having had huge success, apparently a season 2 has been approved and its coming out 2019.

My body is ready

Saw that. It’s been getting rave reviews from everywhere. I hope season two can live up to season one

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
Finished this Sunday, Loved it. I really think it was well done without being too hokie. If season 2 is not until 2019, I guess I'll cancel my 30 day free trial and try to get it back next year.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »
I just finished this today, I am sold!
Can’t eait for season 2

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
Season 2 is out....I jammed through the first six episodes last night. Still a really cool show....still digging it.

They bring back Johnny’s old Sensei Creese....so, there’s that element to deal with now. Pretty funny scene of Johnny ‘discovering’ the internet as well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »
Hell yeah  :metal

I'll be watching season 2 today

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 06:02:18 AM »
I'm now a YouTube TV subscriber, so we have access to their originals.  I haven't really felt like getting into a series on Netflix over the last few months (preferring to go through the Marvel films, which I've never watched in order - aside from renting them when they would come out). 

So I started Cobra Kai last night.  I wasn't expecting it to be a comedy, but I'm really enjoying it after 4 episodes.  I absolutely love Johnny (and his love of 80's metal is SO perfect for the character!), which is surprising, but I love how he becomes the good guy in this series.  I really find myself not liking Daniel at all for becoming such a douche.  That just amazes me that the show can make you flip allegiances 34 years later, after falling in love with Daniel in the original film.

Looking forward to finishing the first season and watching the second over the next week or so.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
Season 1 they hit out of the park

I still need to catch up on season 2 though

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »
Fun show....both seasons were pretty good. Can't wait for S3.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »
Please god let terry Silver come back as a character at some point

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 10:10:36 AM »
Please god let terry Silver come back as a character at some point

Honestly, I think they'd eventually get him back. What else is he doing these days?  :lol   Rumors are that with the way S2 ended...they've talked with Elizibeth Shue about her returning as Ali....and it seems highly likely.  

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 10:59:27 AM »
Just watched E1, please tell me this carries the hilarious nostalgia throughout....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 03:35:27 PM »
Ok, was able to plow through S1 today. The scene with Danny and Johnny rocking out to REO Speedwagon was the funniest shit I've seen in ages.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »
I think it’s a really well done sequel series. It’s not just all call backs and goofy jokes.....it has some meat on the bones story wise and they do a good job of telling Johnnys side of the story.

Can’t wait for S3

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »
Agreed. It pays respect to the original films, all while forging forward and making something fresh and new.

I also can't wait for S3

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 12:22:18 AM »
Wow, I really need season 3 NOW.  I watched half of season 1 awhile back when it temporarily went free on YouTube.  Then it went back to YouTube Red (pay only) when I was halfway through, so I never got to finish.  Just finished season 2, and it was great.  I mean, sometimes, it was really stupid.  But for the most part, it was great.  Can't wait for the next season.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Realm

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2020, 12:55:33 AM »
Yep agree. I really enjoyed Cobra Kai. Overall it was really well done, yes some cheesy moments but some pretty awesome ones too. Just has a really honest vibe and feels very authentic to the continuing lives of these characters 35 years later.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 08:54:19 AM »
I liked that there was a constant tension between Miyagi Do and Cobra Kai where the characters were oblivious to it, but we the audience could easily see that in so many areas, each side was completely in the right on some things and completely in the wrong on other things, and how they complemented each other.  And, by extension, I think there was a strong inference that they could become SO much stronger if they could have reached a peace rather than being at war.

And I love that when there were temporary breakthroughs, it was always characters like Amanda LaRusso or Moon that were the cause.

And I love that with almost every character, whenever you see some significant character growth in someone, that same person then goes and does something that makes you want to scream "NO!  NO!  Don't do it!" at the screen, and it is usually completely believable that they would do it.

Speaking of charcters:
-Along the lines of what I posted again, I really like Robby.  And whenever he did something that revealed his character flaws and weaknesses, they were totally consistent with who he is and where he's been, and it made me like him even more.
-I hated Demetri, but think he is becoming really likable.  I wonder whether there is a showdown between him and Hawk in the future that will turn Hawk back around and make them friends again.
-Miguel has to be ok, right?  RIGHT?
-Tommy...the irony of him being put in an ACTUAL body bag as his character's end made me audibly say, "whoa...that was a bold choice."
-Tory:  Can't stand her.  Nothing redeemable about her character.  (which tells me she may be in for a redemption arc?
 Maybe?)  But...I saw on a cast list (not her official IMDB page, so it may be false) that her last name is...well, I'll let you look it up.  But if true...WOW!  And I think it could very well be true, and would be a good reason why I believe her last name has never been mentioned yet.  If you know what I'm talking about, what do you think?  Shameless throwback, or cool connection?  I'll go with the latter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
-Tory:  Can't stand her.  Nothing redeemable about her character.  (which tells me she may be in for a redemption arc?
 Maybe?)  But...I saw on a cast list (not her official IMDB page, so it may be false) that her last name is...well, I'll let you look it up.  But if true...WOW!  And I think it could very well be true, and would be a good reason why I believe her last name has never been mentioned yet.  If you know what I'm talking about, what do you think?  Shameless throwback, or cool connection?  I'll go with the latter.

Oh wow.....just looked that up. There's simply no way that's just a shameless throwback. The timing of bringing her into the fold would suggest there was some planning going on there and I'd be willing to be that it's 100% intentional to set up a future story arc. Now if only Elizibeth Shue would join the cast.....I know she is keen on the idea given a couple interviews I saw but there's nothing official.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
I know--wild, right?  And, like you, I tend to think it is absolutely true and not an accident.  Count me as shamelessly hyped.

EDIT:  Really cool interview with William Zabka here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I213CnQXdoU  Lots of good content without giving anything away (other than mentioning a season 2 villain reveal, for those who don't already know).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:40:09 AM by bosk1 »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
there's an episode on season 2 where jhonny's checking facebook and gets to Ali's page. I looked for it on FB and there are actual posts of her talking about daniel and jhonny.