Author Topic: Cobra Kai  (Read 12021 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Cobra Kai - YouTube Red
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »
I forgot to mention how awesome the music is.  So many 80s tracks.

Playing "In The Air Tonight" at the end of 3.10 was so perfect, especially the line "I've been waiting for this moment for all my life" and how perfect it was giving what was happening on-screen.  Goosebumps, man.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
Yeah.  On so many levels, I feel like they did such a great job connecting with the Karate Kid universe in all the right ways.  I remember hearing an interview with Zabka where he was saying that there had been so many pitches through the years for more film and TV sequels that were all over the place in terms of quality, but Cobra Kai was the first where he felt that the writers really "got" the characters and were taking them someplace compelling and interesting.  I tend to agree that that is what this series does.  Yeah, there might be moments or particular story arcs that may not work all that well.  But overall, they really stick the landing in so many areas. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2021, 11:34:23 AM »
I've slept on this show awhile, but sometime in the last year, someone compared it to Psych (and the fact both Macchio and Zabka both guest starred on Psych). And then with the passing of Ed Asner last month, I finally checked it out.

Finished the 1st season a bit ago..love a lot about it. The Dichotomy between previously hating and now liking Johnny is an interesting twist. Kind of Joss Whedon like.

2 more seasons to go leading up to Season 4 in December I guess.

Also I was reading and watching some stuff about Ralph Macchio last night and while I knew he looked young for his age, I had no clue he was nearly 60, lol.

He was a few years older than Zabka and Elisabeth Shue which I would have guessed the opposite.

Also the girl who plays Macchio's daughter, Mary Mouser, is now 25, lol. Like Macchio, she's playing a character close to 10 years younger than she is (although that's not as uncommon at that age..Keiko Agena in Gilmore Girls, Gabrielle Carteris in 90210).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »
Season 4 in just a few weeks.

new extensive trailer
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXRJ3jwtQYz/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2021, 10:37:21 AM »
:caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Cobra Kai
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2021, 01:19:47 AM »
How in an age where you have the MCU and Star Wars dropping quality TV shows,  Star Trek back on the small screen, huge fantasy novels being adapted for TV and the final Season of The Expanse......this is my show I'm most hyped for?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2021, 06:09:48 AM »
Terrry silver was always my favorite Karate Kid character

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2021, 06:22:43 AM »
And he is bringing back the ponytail.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Melphina

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »
Can't wait to start watching season 4!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2021, 06:21:34 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaand watching...

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2022, 09:43:57 PM »
Finished it up. Fun season……fun show. I still think the first two seasons were the ‘best’ and they won’t be able to recapture that but it’s been a fun watch. I don’t recall how many seasons they signed on for……I know there’s a 5th for sure but man……even this season was a bit of a struggle to keep the story going.

They did add some cool elements for S5 in the last 15 minutes of the final episode. I’ll watch until they cancel the show so we can just see how long the train goes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2022, 02:06:04 AM »
Just finished Season 4. it was good, although I agree with many that the show is not as engaging or crazy as it was in the 1st 2 seasons.

I did like some of the 80's pop-culture references.

Terry Silver's character is super dark.

It's hard to believe he makes Kreese seem soft.

Season 5 has some potential; I still wonder if somehow they will get Hilary Swank to reprise her character of Julie, but am not sure if they'll have her related to Tory or not.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2022, 02:33:14 AM »
It's a fun show and I had a good time with S4 but I also feel like certain things are being stretched out for the sake of keeping the show going. It feels at least for a couple of seasons now they've teased Johnny and Daniel finally putting their rivalry down and bonding and being truly on the same side yet every couple episodes they have to disagree on something and go their different ways yet a few episodes later they circle back to "we need to work together". I know stubbornness is a part of both their characters but I'm just hoping to see a little bit more growth where we go beyond that. Would actually really like it if the show ends in a place where they have each other's backs and there's no bickering every episode about "my way and your way". 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2022, 10:55:16 AM »
Finished as well. It's hella stupid, it's corny as fuck, and has the air of a lame 80s sit com. All that said, I enjoyed every second, and anxiously await S5.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
Finished as well. It's hella stupid, it's corny as fuck, and has the air of a lame 80s sit com. All that said, I enjoyed every second, and anxiously await S5.

:lol   Exactly!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »
This show is absolutely perfect.  Loved season 4! 

"Actually, that was Exodus' "Bonded by Blood," but it's not your fault...you don't know the genre."   :lol :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2022, 02:16:33 PM »
I do like the setup for S5 though.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I like that finally we can get Johnny and Robbie working on their Father/Son relationship. Enough of the immature approach from Robbie and Johnnie not being shut out from him. Hopefully they take the time those two need for a reconciliation.

Like that Tori saw Silver paying off the ref. That’ll inevitably lead to a crisis of conscience and her ultimately doing the right thing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2022, 03:16:27 AM »
I think one of the things the show does well is portraying the characters as more than stereotypes, "this bad guy is bad" and so on. In this season they even managed to bring humanity to Tory and Kreese, characters that before this had felt mostly like your typical evil characters. I kinda like the start to the season how our supposed good guys of Myiagi-Do and Eagle Fang are the instigators of the drama and the Cobra Kai take the approach of "we'll settle it at the tournament". I also kinda like how they portrayed Miguel this season because it felt like a reflection of some of the fan response to the show. He just seemed kinda done with karate, like he's still in it because Johnny is a father figure to him and his friends and girlfriend are in it, but his focus is kinda elsewhere, like "there's more to life than Karate".  Also like what they did with Terry Silver, I like the quote he said initially kinda mocking what a cartoon character he was in KK3 "I was just a lunatic high on cocaine harassing a kid" but his character really evolves interestingly over the course of the show.

Still hope that the show starts giving us some pay offs to those relationships we want mended. I really want Johnny and Daniel to be friends and not at each other's throat every 2 episodes about some disagreement. Even in the original KK movie, when Daniel lands the kick and wins the tournament, Johnny's behavior completely changes and he gives Daniel the trophy and says "You're alright LaRusso, you deserved this" and even though I get that resentment has festered in the 30 years since then, I still want to see them finally understand each other and not bicker over every small thing they disagree on. I also liked the arc of Robbie this season so I hope his relationship with Johnny can also be fixed.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2022, 06:31:01 AM »
Finished up the new season last night.

Not sure I liked how it ended.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »
Loved season 4!
I rewatched the show before starting season 4 and I'm not sure about season 1 & 2 being on a higher level, season 2 in my opinion is the weakest one as that is the one where (in particular the first half of the season) they focused more on the kids drama over Daniel and Johnny. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2022, 08:41:08 AM »
Finished up the new season last night.

Not sure I liked how it ended.

My issue with the ending was how they telegraphed S5...I mean, leave something to the imagination, right? Although having her see the judge being paid off was a great tease.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »
I like how it ended in two respects:

1.  Each thread was left in a place that actually makes sense and, although not resolved, felt satisfying.  And what I do like is how the show repeatedly redeems characters that seem to get to a place where they seem perhaps irredeemable, and that redemption is...complicated, and the characters often take subsequent steps backward before moving forward again.

2.  Switch 625 is awesome.  :metal

Also, I just have to comment on the fact that, throughout the entire series going back to season 1, whenever something truly good happens, Amanda LaRusso is quite often at the center of it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:49:07 PM by bosk1 »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2022, 11:33:06 AM »
I think I'm just sick of Daniel overall.  He's a giant twatwaffle.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2022, 12:39:29 PM »
Love this show but sometimes it really tests my suspension of disbelief. Stingray... REALLY? All the underage drinking, assault of neighbor, lying to police, allowing false attempted murder charges to be placed? Come on. Just had to roll my eyes at that.  :lol

I loved Johnny this season. Daniel was annoying me by the end. I HATE his son, but I couldn't agree more about Daniel harping on and on about Mr. Miyagi, it began to annoy me this season.

Loved what they did with Tory and especially Hawk this season. And I identified so f'ing hard with Kenny, right up through his confidence shift where he became a concern of Robby's.

Terry sucks and I hate him  :lol and I didn't like the unnecessary dramatic fakeout with Miguel. That pulled muscle thing didn't need to be there for what they were going for imo.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2022, 02:12:56 PM »
Stingray is the worst character easily. That's a joke that's funny for a one time scene but every time he reappears and every scene he is in is painful to watch.  :'(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
agreed. Stingray, the novelty has worn off.

The guy should be cast in a remake of Old School or something, or play like a protege to Jack Black's (Tyler Labine, Dan Fogler, Dustin YBarra).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2022, 01:42:29 AM »
I can't help thinking Stingray was just a plot device, just for one episode. I'm willing to bet most of the audience were happy to see Terry kicking the crap outta him, and I think the writers new this too.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2022, 06:06:42 AM »
I loved S4. Terry Silver, man. Yes. What I'd like to see in Season 5 (spoilers form Season 4):

1. Chozen becomes the new Miyagi - He is the same age and experience as Mr. Miyagi was. This show could use a bit of Okinawan Karate spirit. Daniel comes off as a guy who read a book about it and less of a practitioner of it. I agree with the other comments on Daniel being just the worst. I wish his arc showed more growth, but he's more of an adult version of himself before meeting Mr. Miyagi. Chozen's presence will hopefully bring balance to offset the insanity of the constant fighting.

2. Mike Barnes - bring this guy back. The actor is good and he can easily be fleshed out the way that Terry Silver was. He was so one dimensional in KK3, they can really get creative here.

3. More focus on Johnny - My favorite aspects of this show center around Johnny. Let's go for a 65% Johnny & 35% everybody else in S5.

-Tof

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2022, 06:50:13 AM »
3. More focus on Johnny - My favorite aspects of this show center around Johnny. Let's go for a 65% Johnny & 35% everybody else in S5.

Agree with this. The formula for S1 was this and it worked great. While I get they're trying to build these other characters.....this show was originally about what happened to Johnny and what he was up to. Over the seasons they've gotten a little heavy with Daniel....which...if he weren't such a douche nozzle would be ok I guess.....but, he's a character that needs to be seen less, not more.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2022, 07:50:20 AM »

2. Mike Barnes - bring this guy back. The actor is good and he can easily be fleshed out the way that Terry Silver was. He was so one dimensional in KK3, they can really get creative here.

I think he'll turn up as Tory's Dad.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2022, 08:10:37 AM »
I definitely would like more Johnny. He was the whole reason I liked the show in the first place. Seeing a frustrated man fighting against his long held grudges and prejudices and being unhappy with where he's at in life was compelling. He's still got those things but I think he's shown growth, certainly more than Daniel has imo. Plus his relationships with Miguel and Robby are some of the best in the show.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2022, 09:53:37 AM »
As long as there is less Daniel, I almost don't care what they do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2022, 05:57:11 PM »
The writers have definitely lost the plot with this show, but it's still entertaining enough to keep watching.  The constant face and heel turns by many of the kids makes me think these writers think this is a wrestling program.  There are not many likable people on the show that you really want to root for.  We are obviously supposed to root against Kreese and Silver, but Daniel and Johnny are both so unlikeable that it is hard to get on board with either of those idiots.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2022, 01:36:48 AM »
There are not many likable people on the show that you really want to root for. 

I completely disagree with this.