Author Topic: Neill Blomkamp’s Alien sequel  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Neill Blomkamp’s Alien sequel
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2024, 01:25:25 PM »
To your point, though, I'm guessing you're thinking that the weak scripts, weak acting, and overall poor writing is was torpedoed the AvP movies. 
Well, yes, that's what I was thinking.

I would have liked a movie like you describe as well, but I'm not sure it would have been any more financially successful than the dreck that we got.  Of course, I would like a King Kong vs. Godzilla film that was just King Kong and Godzilla, but I won't get that either lol

Another thing is that there were WAY too many human people in virtually every one of the Transformers movies.  I wanted to see giant Autobots vs. giant Decepticons.  Not what I got.

Resident life-long Transformers fan here - I totally agree. It was fine at the start in TF07 but it just got worse and worse. The Bumblebee movie found a great balance, IMO, but was a different kind of film. Rise Of The Beasts gave us more bot-on-bot action, but it still felt not-quite-there. This year's animated film Transformers One seems to be set entirely on Cybertron, so we won't be seeing any humans in that.

Sadly, these kinds of big blockbuster battle-action films will always need the human element to "sell it" to the general audience, and to have someone provide exposition and the layman POV. The big studios don't think they can't sell films that only appeal to certain parts of a fandom.

-Marc.

Agreed. They could do a switch in a TF movie. Instead of robots coming to earth, a human can be conducting some kind of deep space travel experiment (or a few humans) and end up crashing on Cybertron.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2024, 01:27:42 PM »
I can't recall a single movie that was made without any humans in the story, I think the good ones all have some level of human involvement. I think any movie made without humans won't do well at the box office which is why humans are always injected into the story.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2024, 01:29:56 PM »
I can't recall a single movie that was made without any humans in the story, I think the good ones all have some level of human involvement. I think any movie made without humans won't do well at the box office which is why humans are always injected into the story.

I dunno.

I feel like The Lion King did quite well. :neverusethis:

But yea, seems movies without humans are mostly animated and/or for kids.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2024, 07:12:43 PM »
That... is true, other than that I really can't think of any other movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2024, 06:42:26 AM »
Pretty much only animation aimed at children/family.

I feel Avatar The Way of Water shows it could be successful, if done well. Technically most mains have human roots, but aren't anymore on the screen. For most of it's near 3 hours runtime you are looking at cgi aliens and creatures with rarely a human on the screen. But no studio is going to risk hundreds of millions on such a big risk.

I do think the Transformers have a too big focus on the humans. But that is also because they are (to me) just written so badly and the films are a tonal mess.