Author Topic: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (The End..)  (Read 65337 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (1/5)
« Reply #1120 on: August 25, 2018, 07:21:08 AM »
FINAL ROUND RESULTS! pt. 2

Train of Naught
A Score Unmarked – sent as a Spotify Playlist

‘Heavy, with a focus on bleak, sombre atmospheres’

1. Batushka - Yekteniya I (5:46)
2. Distances - Hollow Ground (4:43)
3. Alkaloid - Carbon Phrases (9:32)
4. Rolo Tomassi - Balancing the Dark (3:59)
5. Rolo Tomassi - Alma Mater (3:11)
6. Ancestors - The Warm Glow (8:32)

So, this being a Spotify Playlist, it’s more of a collection of songs than an EP with crossfades / logical transitions. Despite this, most of the changes to the other tracks actually work quite well, because every track has a clear ending that makes it possible for the next track to begin and all the songs fit together really well, the exception being the Alkaloid track, which is too much prog and death compared to the other tracks on the EP. Although Ancestors is stylistically a little different, it fits with the description Train gave: “Heavy, with a focus on bleak, sombre atmospheres”. Alkaloid definitely fits that first part, but I don’t hear much bleakness in the song.

Strating the EP with probably the most massive song you’ve sent in the roulette was a good thing to get my attention. This is some very interesting stuff; for those who haven’t heard it, it’s black-metal with weird choral voices throughout. Although it starts out interesting, it kind of overstays its welcome a little, by not changing up anything. There’s only so much tremolo-picked riffs and black metal vocals I can handle before it gets old (unless it’s Nattens Madrigal). The bells at the end of the song form a fine enough transition, even though the next song is completely different. Distances is more in the post-hardcore style, featuring only growled vocals and rhythmic riffing. I’m not sure whether I like it or not, which means I probably don’t, but it’s not a bad listen either, and in the context of this EP having some Traincore isn’t surprising.

Alkaloid then is like I stated too different from the rest of the EP, so it kind of sticks out, not only because it’s about twice as long as the rest of the tracks. I’m not a fan of this person’s growled vocals, but instrumentally it’s quite astounding what these guys do. This is some of the more interesting progressive/technical death metal I’ve heard, with the inclusion of melody, actual guitar solo’s and overall progwanking in between the heavy parts. Luckily it’s not a 9-minute growl-fest and there’s more than enough going on in this track to warrant multiple listens. If the rest of the album this track comes from is anything similar, I’m definitely checking that out for the hell of it.

The end of Carbon Phrases to the beginning of the first Rolo Tomassi song doesn’t really work. I’m lumping these two tracks together, because every time I listened to the playlist, I had no idea when one song ends and the other begins. They’re just too similar in sound without any recognisable hooks, riffs or rhythms. I know at one point the woman starts singing with clean vocals (which was the first time I realised it was actually a woman singing) and that’s in the second track. It felt kind-of out of place, to be honest, because the rest of the vocals are quite buried in the mix and completely indistinguishable, apart for the line ‘A SCOOORE UNMAAARKED’ (coincidence?). So yeah, the songs go through rhythmic riffs, a bit faster here and there, a restrained part somewhere and through lots of dissonance. Not sure what to make of it; it mostly sounds like disjointed ideas stuck together without a clear focus – and considering that there’s 7 minutes of this stuff on the EP, that certainly doesn’t help.

The Ancestors track though; it’s easily the best thing you have sent in the entire roulette. When you posted the link to the full album, I just had to listen to the rest of the record this song comes from. Fantastic stuff; I love how it builds up through calmness to noise and stays moody throughout. A slow burner, but surely a good one, especially as a calm down after the dissonant mess of the previous two tracks.

Final Verdict:
With your EP being in this first batch, that means that the roulette trophy will not go to you, but that’s not to say I did not enjoy your participation in this roulette. You already mentioned that you thought you wouldn’t have the right stuff to create an EP that I would like, but I really did like this EP as well, just not as much as the three I have yet to post. You’ve sent me lots of stuff I liked and looking at the scores I gave the songs you sent, you were for the most part very consistent. There’s a couple of tracks in there that probably didn’t ‘deserve’ the score they got (Jamie Lenman (too high), The World is Quiet Here (got better with repeated listens)), but I have a ton of stuff to check out now, thanks to you as well. Oh, and that Ancestors album is very, very cool indeed!

So, I initially wanted to post two at a time (I have the second one written out already), because I can't really rank one above or below the other, but I think I’m going to hang to that second one and post it in a couple hours. While I’m not really ranking the EPs as such, the first two I’m posting were a notch below the next three, which will get their posts tomorrow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1121 on: August 25, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Haha, a few hours left to live

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1122 on: August 25, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1123 on: August 25, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
Uh oh. I did a Spotify Playlist too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1124 on: August 25, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
Well, do note that the fact that it was a Spotify playlist didn’t really matter all that much.
Squ

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1125 on: August 25, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
The suspense is killing me, literally......figuratively.... :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1126 on: August 25, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: August 25, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
The suspense is killing me, literally......figuratively.... :biggrin:
same but literally

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1128 on: August 25, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: August 25, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
honestly i have no confidence that i won with the EP i sent but i do not regret it either because i like the EP a lot

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1130 on: August 25, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »
Don’t make me feel bad about how this is going to end, you guys! :(
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: August 25, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
just make sure everyone loses and we'll all be fine

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1132 on: August 25, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
honestly i have no confidence that i won with the EP i sent but i do not regret it either because i like the EP a lot
Same, I'm actually pretty thrilled with how mine turned out in terms of flow, consistency, mood and quality of songs (to my tastes). But the winner will be the one that hit the superior Rich's tastes most.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1133 on: August 25, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »

this is a good option, but I'd rather have everybody win!
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1134 on: August 25, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »

this is a good option, but I'd rather have everybody win!
D'awwwwww. :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (2/5)
« Reply #1135 on: August 25, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
FINAL ROUND RESULTS! pt. 3

Puppies_On_Acid
Eternity in a Dying Universe – sent as a single file, I burned it to a disc

‘About a being that can’t die, but has tried to kill himself numerous times. When he discovers the universe itself is dying, he hopes this will finally give him release.’ (Or something along those lines).

1. Moonsorrow – Pimeä (14:08)
2. Solitude Aeturnus – Eternal (Dreams Part II) (7:51)
3. Helrunar – Sól (10:56)
4.  The Thirteenth Sun - The Universe Is Burning (9:05)

So, this is a monster of an EP, quite literally. When I got the file and saw that it was exactly 40 minutes long, I thought Puppies must have done that on purpose. Then again, he also wrote a short story of how these songs belong together on his EP and that would mean it would be too coincidental if everything aligned to be exactly 40 minutes long. Turns out that the songs themselves are longer – and unfortunately for the flow on his EP, you can actually hear that, because the transitions between the songs end up being jarring at best, and seriously annoying at worst. Admittedly, the first time I went through the EP, I thought the file was broken or something, because the end seems so sudden, and then I thought Puppies just cut the last song to get to 40 minutes and for a long time that annoyed me. Until I actually looked up the original track to see how that one ends (I expected a fade-out after that grandiose finale), but it’s exactly the same. Why would you do that!? It kills the track (and makes me sad as a result). So, the ‘annoying end’ can’t really be attributed to Puppies, but it still annoys me to no end, because that song is easily the best on this EP and probably one of the better songs in the EP round. On to the others..

Moonsorrow was .. difficult. It’s quite daring to send in an EP of 40 minutes, especially when it only consists of 4 tracks. Pimeä takes 14 minutes and honestly doesn’t really go anywhere. It’s the same intensity at all times, with lyrics in Finnish, so I can’t make anything out of it. Now, this is not a problem per se, but when every single line is screeched as well, I don’t really get a sense of progression in storytelling either. I can see how this is ‘good’, but for me this turned into background noise way too quickly, because of lack of variation. Repeated listens showed me there’s a lot more to this track though and it has me intrigued enough to try out some other songs from them. Enter the most jarring transition after Moonsorrow gets a sudden fade-out; ‘Eternal’ by Solitude Aeturnus is almost twice as slow in tempo and this style of doom metal does literally nothing to me. This song feels out of place on this EP, because it’s way darker in tone, the guitars are far more distant and less distinct and the operatic style of singing is alright in its own regard, but not in the context of this EP. This was a miss, I’m sorry to say that.

The next transition comes out of nowhere as well, as we enter the much heavier (and louder) guitars of Helrunar’s ‘Sól’. This is a song I actually enjoyed a lot. The vocals took some time to get used to, but there’s a sense of grandeur in the way the chorus (?) differs from the verses. After about 4 minutes the song sort of stops and goes into this fantastic instrumental build-up that lasts over 6 minutes– truly, some of the best stuff in this entire round, and I mean that. The next transition is fine, but the count-down on the drums breaks the flow a little. I would wonder what would have happened if these two songs were switched around? (Ending with Sól). The Universe is Burning is fairly standard progressive metal, that starts out heavy, goes into a long break and ends with this proclamation that the universe is burning, entering a blastbeat part with sudden unexpected growls that should serve as a grande finale (and succeeds, apart from the cut-off ending).

I find it a little difficult to admit that your EP ends up in the ‘bottom two’ of the EP Round, because you were close to the lead throughout all the regular rounds of this roulette. Thing is though, that the transitions especially, but also parts of a couple of these songs just didn’t work with me. The Moonsorrow might be interesting enough to check out further, and I’m definitely going to catch The Thirteenth Sun at ProgPower Europe later this year.

By the way, when I play this file on my computer, the tempo marker literally stops at 39:59 and the music continues for about 10-15 seconds before ending. Is it actually, secretly slightly longer than 40 minutes? :lol

Final Verdict:
Like Train’s EP, yours being in this first batch means that you don’t get to wear the Elite Roulette Crown. It’s funny how as a participant you sent me the most diverse stuff, ranging from electronic to death metal, indie & doom. I’m quite picky when it comes to metal, so I found it very cool that you sent stuff in the regular rounds that I hadn’t heard yet, but that were also intriguing enough to dig into (the Enslaved, YOB and – if I ever get to listening to a full album of theirs – Deathspell Omega). You managed to pull out stuff that’s rarely (or never) even mentioned on the forums and you seem to have a really extensive music library, based on what you post and I like that. I’m therefore sure that there’s a bunch of stuff that you know that I don’t yet that I would like, but as for this roulette, I thank you very much for showing me music styles I wasn’t fully aware of and for being a participant in this long-ass rambling mess of a roulette.

Next three tomorrow, with one in the morning (my time) and the two last ones in the evening.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: August 25, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
noooo i have to wait until tomorrow to die  :sadpanda:

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1137 on: August 25, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »
Admittedly I forced the transitions on my EP for the sake of the story, which didn't work to my favor. I actually reworked the transitions as I mentioned earlier in the thread and am way happier with them, but the time ended up being over 40 minutes. Your assessment of each track is about what I expected. Moonsorrow does take multiple listens to get the most out of it. They are so musically dense. I had no idea if you would like Solitude Aeturnus. I just took a shot in the dark, since it fit the EP story-wise. Glad you liked Helrunar and Thirteenth Sun.

Not sure what's up with the time stamps on the file. Audacity could have screwed something up.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1138 on: August 26, 2018, 12:28:46 AM »
You were a great participant throughout the roulette! I forgot to mention in the write-up that I enjoyed the fact that you sent some more challenging stuff as well. That's probably also the reason why I haven't bought any of the albums you sent songs from first; with a lot of the other submissions I did buy an album from, it was all very likeable for me immediately, but with your stuff it usually took a couple of listens to 'get into' them. That's not to say I didn't enjoy them, because obviously you wouldn't have made it to the final round if I didn't, but I'll have to check out some things further before deciding to purchase anything.

Another problem with some of the bands you sent: they have so much material; where do I even start? :P
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: August 26, 2018, 01:03:39 AM »
IS THIS THE REAL LIFE

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1140 on: August 26, 2018, 01:21:04 AM »
I think it is!
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1141 on: August 26, 2018, 01:41:36 AM »

Another problem with some of the bands you sent: they have so much material; where do I even start? :P
Let's see....
Maximum the Hormone - That album I sent the song from and Yoshū Fukushū are the 2 I recommend. I wouldn't bother with the rest of their stuff, unless you are really bored...
North Atlantic Oscillation - Fog Electric is the only album of theirs I really like. The other 2 are OK at best.
Fjokra - Thoughtsteps in the only thing I've heard from them. I do know they have another EP, but I don't know where to get it and I haven't heard it.
Gorod - Based on your comments on the song I sent you, you would probably enjoy their newer albums most (A Perfect Absolution and A Maze of Recycled Creeds).
Warpaint - The rest of that Exquisite Corpse EP is fantastic and their 1st album The Fool is just about as good. Their second album (which is self titled) has a slight drop in quality. Their latest is not good.

Enslaved - This band is much harder to make a clear recommendation. They have 14 studio albums across what I consider 4 distinct phases. The first being their straight black/viking metal phase (Vikingligr veldi and Frost(along with the demo's and splits before those)) which I do love but it's a bit more low-fi, but you can see the beginnings of what would become some of the best black metal musicians in the business. The 2nd phase is their more experimental black metal (Eld through Monumension) where they tried more epic songs, some folkier stuff, and infused it with a lot more atmosphere. My favorite of this period being Eld, even though it's more of a transition album between Frost and Bloodhemn. The third phase is the Progressive black metal phase (Below the Lights through Vertebrae). The Isa album falls in this period which Neogenesis is taken from. I have a hard time picking a favorite from this period because every album here is pretty close to a masterpiece in my opinion. It's a close call between Below the Lights (which is again another transition album) and Isa. Ruun is very similar to Isa, but maybe more clean? or perhaps precise? not exactly sure how to describe it. Vertebrae may be right up your alley out of all of their albums though. The 4th phase is what I like to call the Opethian style Progressive metal period (Axioma Ethica Odini through E (although E sounds like another transition album to a new phase in Enslaved's career)), although they get a little post-rocky on In Times. I think I would recommend starting with Below the Lights and working your way forward, before going down the rabbit hole back through their older albums.

Yob - You cant really go wrong with any of their albums, except maybe their new album Our Raw Heart, which isn't bad, it just isn't quite as good as the rest. Just pick an album anywhere between Catharsis and Clearing the Path to Ascend.

Deathspell Omega - This is another tough one. I can tell you that anything before Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice is low-fi straight forward black metal, not worth anyone's time. Anything from that album on (including the EPs) is worth giving a shot. I would recommend the trilogy of Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice | Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum | Paracletus. Those 3 are one long conceptual piece, basically. Musically and lyrically dense. Paracletus is probably the easiest to get in to.

Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja, Verisakeet, and V: Havitetty is their absolute peak and one of the best 3 album runs of any band in any genre in my opinion. I would even throw in Tulimyrsky as a 4th album, but it's considered an EP even though it's 68 minutes long... Verisakeet is my second favorite album of all time and I hated it the first time I heard it......make of that what you will.

Helrunar - Sol is my favorite album of theirs (it is a bit over long at 92 minutes), but their previous 2 albums are pretty good too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1142 on: August 26, 2018, 02:08:36 AM »
Oh, wow! Thanks for that long reply. Definitely saving that as a starting point :)
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (3/5)
« Reply #1143 on: August 26, 2018, 03:21:57 AM »
FINAL ROUND RESULTS! pt. 4

TAC
The Struggle Elite – sent as a Spotify Playlist

‘About a struggle and coming to grips with that.’ (Or something along those lines).

1. Thoughts Factory – Awakening (4:28)
2. Dyssidia – An Absolute Severance (6:22)
3. A Forest of Stars – Virtus Sola Invicta (6:15)
4. Novembre – Agathae (9:23)
5. Daedalus – The Never Ending Illusion (9:06)

Being a Spotify playlist really doesn’t matter in the case of this EP, because all the songs end and begin logically enough to warrant some sense of continuity. They’re also pretty much all in the same style, although the shouted vocals in the Dyssidia track don’t exactly fit in with the rest, with the exception of the A Forest of Stars. That’s seriously a mood-killer among the progressive metal vibe of the rest of your EP. I don’t understand what this track is doing here, and even less why it’s in the middle of the EP. I might enjoy the track on its respective album, as its unique enough on its own, but sandwiched between these other songs it doesn’t really appeal to me.

I think the opening track indeed sets the mood really well. I’ve seen the name Thoughts Factory around before, but I don’t think I’ve ever actively listened to the music. That partly has to do with the album’s cover art, but it might also have had something to do with my waning interest in progressive metal at around the time that particular album was released. Hearing the opening track now though has me interested in the rest of the band’s work (which appears is just that album). The transition to the Dyssidia actually works surprisingly well, despite the very clear difference in guitar tone between the two bands. Where Thoughts Factory showed some restraint in the instrumental opening, Dyssidia goes all-out with the prog-wankery at the end of the track. I found this section to be quite strange, since the rest of the track is fairly standard prog metal with a good chorus, some shouted vocals and fine riffing. Nothing wrong with this one at all. I’ve seen you send this band more often, so I’ll just have a go at the album, it might be enjoyable indeed.

I’m going to skip over the A Forest of Stars, because I honestly think the EP would have been better without this track; like I said in the first paragraph, I’m sure this is good on its own or within the context of the album it comes from, but not here. Agathae by Novembre though; what a beautiful track this is indeed. I love how it builds up, getting slightly louder in the first three minutes, before breaking out in that dissonant riff and again getting progressively heavier yet again. This is some excellent song-writing as far as I’m concerned, for the building up of intensity is completely logical and well thought-out. The fact that there’s barely any vocals in the song makes absolutely no difference; in fact I think the wordless screams and barely inaudible vocal line add to the mystique this song conveys. I love how the song also ends peacefully, as if it has overcome whatever struggle was needed to create the heavy sounds in the middle part. Top 5 song in the EP round, definitely, and one of the best you’ve sent too.

Then Daedalus to close it off. I think the way you structured this EP (even with A Forest of Stars on there) makes total sense. Starting off with a build-up, into some slight angst, all the way through the intensity of AFOS and Novembre, to the triumphant climax in the Daedalus track. This song has lots of memorable vocal lines, which feels a little strange to say, because I’m not a huge fan of his vocals when he sings higher. But this surely is melodic progressive metal done pretty well. Enjoyed this one indeed.

Wrapping up, this EP got better with repeated listens, because I initially didn’t really see how these songs would be connected, but now I think it actually works quite well. Individually the songs didn’t really stand out (apart from Agathae), but as a whole your EP was fun to listen to – even if I had to get through A Forest of Stars.

Final Verdict:
It's funny how you regained your confidence about halfway through the roulette, because you started out quite badly. In the last few rounds, you really took off though and sent me some of the best stuff in the whole roulette, actually making it to the EP round (something that you may have thought to be impossible after the first couple of rounds in the roulette). I really liked having you as a participant in the roulette, for the music you sent, but also for the interaction with me and the other players in this thread. I never really had much interaction with you on DTF before, I must admit, but based on your posting style here, I’m pretty sure you’re a great dude :) thanks for being a part of this, and thank you for all the stuff you sent me that I yet have to check out!

Last two tonight. Let’s put an end to this.
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1144 on: August 26, 2018, 05:30:50 AM »
Bring it on, Parama!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results Incoming..
« Reply #1145 on: August 26, 2018, 06:21:36 AM »
FINAL ROUND RESULTS! pt. 1

General

I want to thank everybody in this roulette for playing. I sincerely appreciate everybody’s efforts to send me music that I hadn’t heard yet. Some of it clicked, some of it didn’t manage to stick at all and some of it was alright, but I wouldn’t listen to it again. Thanks to this roulette, I have already bought 11 albums and I have a lot more artists I want to check out based on what I’ve heard. This final EP round probably adds a couple more artists to that list as well.

I considered making a ‘best of roulette’ playlist on Spotify, mostly for myself to enjoy, but the first draft, without even including the EP Round, led to a playlist of over 4 hours – I scrapped the idea. It’s also quite difficult for me to rank all the songs against each other now that everything’s done; I simply got sent too many over the course of 3,5 (jesus fuck, has this been going on for that long already!?) months. In a sense, I find it a shame that my fourth roulette is about to be over, on the other hand, it will finally give me time to discover more of the artists you guys sent me. I’m already horribly behind on CD’s I have bought over the past 2-3 months, simply because I gave roulette listening priority, though it may not have always seemed like that.

I am sorry – really – for taking so long in completing this and sometimes taking more than a week to post results. In my own defense; the months June & July are always ridiculously busy at work, then I moved in with my girlfriend to the house we bought, and in the first weeks of living there, I really had to find the time to listen to any music at all. On top of that, I’m entirely sure that she would not like me turning on harsh noise loud enough – so I usually resort to listening to music when she’s not home, and with me having holidays, the time I spent in my car (the place I listen to music the most, actually) was close to zero since the end of July. I truly admire all of the fols here who manage to run a roulette smoothly and swiftly and also keeping their private lives in check. I had hoped to be finished before I moved, but I’ve been living here for 1,5 months now (love the new place by the way!) and I’m not even halfway typing up this shit for the EP Rounds.

For all the EP Round participants, I will write something to you in the posts for the EPs, for all the other participants; I thank you all for playing, even though it might have been only for a short while.  At of writing this, I *know* who has won the fourth edition of Elite’s roulette, but as far as I’m concerned, a roulette is a cumulative effort. I thank everybody who played for showing new music.

Just had to say that this is a tremendously honest post Rich, recognizing and admitting your challenges through this, and a hearty thank-you for your players.

Nice reflection  :clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1146 on: August 26, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »
Turd Place! I'll take it!!!

Thank you for the very nice things you said. No disprespect, but I did not pre do an EP because I never thought I'd get that far. But over the course of a couple hours (before leaving for vacation). I worked through about a dozen songs that I thought would fit together somewhat thematically, and this is what I settled on.

Seems no one is beating parama around here, and I just lost to ariich in parama's final round. But playing in these roulettes, especially with those that have different tastes from me, has lead me to some great music, and has pushed my own boundaries more than a little. A lot of the music I am sending is still relatively new to me, but I've never sent anything I didn't believe in. I've made more purchases playing in roulettes than I have hosting them.

Thanks for having me Elite. Not sure I could've handled second place for a third straight roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1147 on: August 26, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
I’m pretty sure you’re a great dude :)

And his ole lady is great in bed!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1148 on: August 26, 2018, 07:25:04 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1149 on: August 26, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
the disrespect for a forest of stars is disheartening

anyways dammit I'm still not dead

this is just like train's roulette you keep me around for the top 2 just to crush my dreams at the end

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results Incoming..
« Reply #1150 on: August 26, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
Sacul: You were at the best when you sent strange stuff that’s also bordering on metal – exception being the Cosmo Sheldrake song. I’ll be honest here and say that the Indukti track might have impressed me the most out of any song I received in the entire roulette. The album it comes from is seriously awesome. I haven’t checked out the Lunar Caustic stuff, because, well, time, but I might do that. Also seeing Six Roaming OwlsThe Flaming Lips get good/better scores in other roulettes makes me wonder if I was too harsh on that one. There was definitely some shite you sent as well – sorry for being so blunt, but in general it was nice having you be part of this. Just send sooner “next time”. :biggrin:
Hell yeah, that Indukti is great stuff :metal. Make sure to check out their first album, it's got Mariusz on some tracks.

The Obscure Sphinx record, Void Mother, is pretty cool, and has this kind of ritualistic, occult vibe throughout it and some great riffs - the last track might be the best tho.

I wouldn't expect the Cosmo Sheldrake album to be nearly as crazy as the song I sent you, but it kinda works as the closer and climax - it's a pretty lovely, chill album for the most part, give it a chance.

Yeah definitely give that Flaming Lips record a try, it's pretty varied and charming, you'll eventually get used to the vocals :P

Thanks for having me! And sorry for sending so late - I used to make a big playlist of what I wanted to send right after signing up, so I added/removed stuff while playing (basically what I did for Katt's roulette), but haven't really been doing so lately, perhaps for a lack of interest in music these days.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1151 on: August 26, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »
yeah the obscure sphinx record is alright but tbh i think the entire second half is weaker than the first half (incl the last track sorry dacul  :lol)

it's worth listening to though for sure

also elite go listen to a shadowplay for yesterdays by a forest of stars even if you didn't like this track, that's a damn good record right there lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1152 on: August 26, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
Nice reflection  :clap:

Thank you for that kind notion! :)

Turd Place! I'll take it!!!

A lot of the music I am sending is still relatively new to me, but I've never sent anything I didn't believe in. I've made more purchases playing in roulettes than I have hosting them.

Thanks for having me Elite. Not sure I could've handled second place for a third straight roulette.

Well, that's a great thing about roulettes, that if you're an active participant, there's some to gain for you as well :) it was good to have you, like I said in the final write-up I did. And for the record, I did enjoy your EP as well, so you did pretty well with the restrictions you had!

the disrespect for a forest of stars is disheartening

anyways dammit I'm still not dead

this is just like train's roulette you keep me around for the top 2 just to crush my dreams at the end

Come on, I even said I didn't dislike the song, I just thought it was out of place.
And yes, I'm doing this on purpose.

Thanks for having me! And sorry for sending so late - I used to make a big playlist of what I wanted to send right after signing up, so I added/removed stuff while playing (basically what I did for Katt's roulette), but haven't really been doing so lately, perhaps for a lack of interest in music these days.

Maybe you should organise a roulette yourself so you can regain your interest in music. And then be surprised if everybody sends late :neverusethis:
Thanks for the recommendations! More stuff to check out :)
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: August 26, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
i'll agree it was out of place yeah but you just dunked on the song & didn't even comment on it so what else am i supposed to assume other than you hated it  :lol

also, curse yooouuuu :getoffmylawn:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1154 on: August 26, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
And yes, I'm doing this on purpose.
This is just too much.

I be am boner inducing.