Author Topic: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (The End..)  (Read 65331 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 6 Hangmanens!
« Reply #665 on: June 30, 2018, 04:19:42 AM »
Booooo, the new Progrenie Terrestra Pura album is better than U.M.A.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #666 on: June 30, 2018, 04:28:08 AM »
It better be :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #667 on: June 30, 2018, 09:02:01 PM »
Booooo, the new Progrenie Terrestra Pura album is better than U.M.A.
i disagree but i like both a lot

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #668 on: July 01, 2018, 01:01:50 AM »
Did Parama send it?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #669 on: July 01, 2018, 01:19:07 AM »
no i sent enslaved

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #670 on: July 01, 2018, 01:50:38 AM »
Did Parama send it?
I'm sure he did.
no i sent enslaved
I'm still sure you sent Progrenie Terrestra Pura.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #671 on: July 04, 2018, 03:34:04 AM »
I promised I would do this some days ago, but I really couldn't find the time. I got the keys to my new house last Monday and it's been very busy with preparations. It's been great - and very busy. In between doing stuff I have found time to listen to the songs. Here's some first impressions and the Spotify Playlist (which I linked to before).

I guess this round is even more diverse than all other rounds. Although I have been in a metal-ish mood lately, the variety of this round has proven to be very fun. I have a good grasp of most of the songs, but I can't promise results soon (since I'm moving in three days).

This song is slightly too long for its own good and contains some parts that aren't as convincing as others. Subsequent listens showed some more intricate details that I previously missed.

I liked listening to this song, but I can't really remember anything from it.

The ending to this song and the build-up preceding it (taking practically the rest of the song) is nothing short of extraordinary and, frankly, quite amazing.

Loved the vibe of this track in particular, even though it's a standout in terms of style.

Having heard of [this artist/band] before, I was curious as to how [this artist/band] sound(s). I was pleasantly surprised, and this turned out to be a very rewarding song on repeated listens.

Listen 1: Yuck.
Listen 2: What a jarring mess
Listen 3: Okay, there's some nice stuff in here

This particular genre is very hard to convince me, because most of the bands follow a similar structure and style. [This artist/band] pulls it off very well and manages to stay interesting.

I liked listening to this song, but I can't really remember anything from it.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: July 04, 2018, 06:38:14 AM »
Except for the Yuck one, I feel like the other could be my song. Hoping for this one though:

The ending to this song and the build-up preceding it (taking practically the rest of the song) is nothing short of extraordinary and, frankly, quite amazing.

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #673 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »

This song is slightly too long for its own good and contains some parts that aren't as convincing as others. Subsequent listens showed some more intricate details that I previously missed.

Listen 1: Yuck.
Listen 2: What a jarring mess
Listen 3: Okay, there's some nice stuff in here

This particular genre is very hard to convince me, because most of the bands follow a similar structure and style. [This artist/band] pulls it off very well and manages to stay interesting.

I have a feeling mine is one of these.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #674 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
Since I've been sending awesome stuff so far, and I'm losing, I figured this time I would send a song that blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #675 on: July 04, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Since I've been sending awesome stuff so far, and I'm losing, I figured this time I would send a song that blows.

Are you kidding me? :lol
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #676 on: July 08, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
Results when?  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »
I hope I win

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #678 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
Yeah, so I was moving last week and while I'm in the new home already, I have not yet installed my computer and all that. I did hint at this possibly happening. I have to work during the day as well, but I hope to fix the computer tomorrow and then I'll probably be able to deliver results this weekend. It'll take a couple of days, maybe weeks to get organised in the new house, but I want to get this back on track soon.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: July 10, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Don't sweat it dude, moving is a super stressful thing so take your time and prioritize things so that your new home with your lady doesn't come crumbling down during the first couple of weeks  ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: July 16, 2018, 05:41:35 AM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #681 on: July 16, 2018, 06:07:11 AM »
I was going to do them tonight! (yes, seriously!)
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: July 16, 2018, 07:10:20 AM »
 :D

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #683 on: July 16, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »
Results will be out when the next Tool album is released. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #684 on: July 16, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
Is this a joke?

Like, especially considering this: https://loudwire.com/google-alert-tool-new-album/
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: July 16, 2018, 11:10:22 AM »
That's hilarious  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 6 Results!
« Reply #686 on: July 16, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
Round 6 Results

So, I have officially moved to another place. I lived in a house crammed full of boxes for about three days, while slowly building up furniture to store stuff in. I’ve regained access to my computer (and internet) last Thursday, but I was away and/or busy this past weekend. That said; I’ve had more than plenty of time to listen to your guy’s songs and I must say.. this was a difficult round to score. There wasn’t really a highlight, though the songs you guys sent were, mostly, good. It was a bit of a gamble until my last listen this afternoon when the ranking order settled. I’\m a little surprised at the outcome, but this does reflect my view on these songs as opposed to each other in the playlist I’ve heard about 12-15 times the past two weeks. Definitely not a punishment, to listen to these songs, so thanks at least for sending them! Now.. results:

5 Points

LordCost
Gentle Giant - Proclamation
Progressive Rock – from ‘The Power and the Glory’ (1974; remastered by Steven Wilson in 2014)

Starting off with the one song I just couldn’t get in to. The first listen I really disliked this, for being an all-round mess without any clear direction. The second time was a little better and by the fourth listen I could sort-of get what these guys were trying to do, and while it all sounds rather contrived, I can’t help but feel that they’re just messing around for the sake of messing around. You know, the musicianship is actually pretty good and interesting, but when it sounds bad, it doesn’t matter however good you play. Add to that the song structure that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever, and you have what I think is a pretty bad song. The most annoying part of it though, is that I occasionally get little bits of vocal line stuck in my head.. maybe in a few years’ time I might come to appreciate this more, but two weeks was not enough, especially not when lined-up against the rest of this round’s songs.

4 Points

Sacul
Kamasi Washington – The Rhythm Changes
Jazz – from ‘The Epic’ (2015) side-note: damn, this album is almost 3 hours long!

I actually feel bad about giving this song such a low score this round, because it’s far from bad. It’s actually quite pleasant and meandering, especially the solo sections in the middle. I don’t have a lot to say about this one, and that might perhaps be its biggest flaw. It’s relaxing and soothing, with some nice melodies in both the verses and choruses, but it doesn’t do anything apart from that. Instrumentation is good, but nothing extraordinary. Its slightly up-tempo pace and forward driven motion in the drums helps keep the momentum, but in the end, not that much happens. By all means, this was a nice submission and I actually enjoyed this song. I might even check out the almost 3 hour album this song came from.

3 Points

Train of Naught
Kindo – Human Convention
Jazz-Influenced Indie Rock – from ‘Happy However After’ (2018)

Easily the funkiest song of the bunch. Lots of cool stuff in here. I have seen the name ‘(The Reign of) Kindo’ many times before, but never bothered to listen to the music. There’s a lot of great stuff happening in this song, in the instrumentation. I really like the changes in rhythm between verses and chorus and the funny modulation in the “off the grid” section. It’s this up-tempo jazz/funk-ish stuff that I really enjoy. Nice stuff indeed!

ariich
Artificial Language – Dirty Hands
Progressive Metal – from ‘The Observer’ (2017)

Quick progressive metal track that only takes a little under 4 minutes. While this was surely an enjoyable song with some nice guitar work throughout, it feels a little rushed without any proper hooks and memorable parts. It’s not bad at all, but this song could have benefited from some sort of catchy chorus. Props to the guitar solo in this song, that one’s pretty cool. The part afterwards with the guitarist playing those melodic lines over the final vocals is also nice. By no means is this a bad song, and it might prompt me to check out the rest of this band’s album.

2 Points

Nekov
Papir – IIII.II
Post-Rock – from ‘IIII’ (2014)

So, here’s a post-rock song that doesn’t only do a huge build-up and then stop at the top, but it also brings everything back to where it starts. Lovely guitar tone throughout and actually a very hypnotic, almost mesmerising track. I rarely listen to any post-rock because I find the genre to be a little bland in that all the songs sound the same or similar (namely building up from nothing into a huge wall of sound), but I’m very fond of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and this song at times reminds me a little of some of their material. Despite the great guitar tone, the drums are probably the best driving force behind all of this. It surely doesn’t feel like a 9-minute track and that in itself is a huge feat for a song that’s build on rather little material.

Parama
Progenie Terrestre Pura – Sinapsi Divelte
Avant-Garde / Ambient / Black Metal – from ‘U.M.A.’ (2013)

This is not the first time I’m having a hard time describing a track you’ve sent me, but this is, yet again, on the weird side of things and that’s exactly what intrigues me. The song has a ton of build-up through ambient sounds and drones, before launching into this speed-metal like part with weird spatial vocals on top. This builds further into this extreme black metal part that sounds as if it comes straight out of a void. I honestly don’t know how to describe what’s going on here, which is stupid because I should be able to, but I really like the unusual soundscapes this band throws at the listener. The combination of ‘space-sounds’ and ambient noise drone and black metal works so ridiculously well that I can’t help but think that it’s great. Sorry for the lousy review.

1 Point

TAC
Kaelling - Circle
Progressive Metal – from ‘Lacuna’ (2017)

I’m stumped why you’d think this song sucks, since for a progressive metal track this song is more interesting than most of the other progressive metal tracks I’ve received this roulette. It manages to create that nice tension between the calmer verses and having interesting rhythms in the chorus riffs. I’d say the vocalist lacks a little in intensity, especially in the last chorus of the song, but other than that this is a really solid track that has remained fresh with every new listen. Plenty of stuff to enjoy in this one and that chorus hook is awesomely catchy as well. One thing that this song does really well (is something that I can’t really explain) is that it leaves you wanting more as a listener. Kind of like how a fade-out in a song keeps you bobbing your head for longer that the song actually takes, when this song finishes it compels you to listen to it again. Perhaps the rest of this band’s material is crap, I don’t know, but I’ll try it out, because I definitely enjoyed this one.

0 Points

Puppies_on_Acid
Enslaved - Neogenesis
Progressive Black Metal - from ‘Isa’ (2004)

And this is a track that I didn’t know what to do with initially. I have never bothered to listen to Enslaved, and that partly has to do with me thinking the band name is rather stupid (which is also why I never bothered to listen to Morbid Angel, Overkill, Annihilator or Kreator, to name but a few random metal bands – by the way, don’t send those, I saw three of them at a metal festival this weekend and got very bored). This song is strange, in that it starts out quite calm, before taking off in some fast staccato guitar riffs with vocals on top that made me laugh a little the first time. I still think they sound a little ridiculous, but they work to accent the sharp riffing underneath. There’s a long section with a drawn-out guitar solo after the fast riffing that doesn’t feel out of place, even though it takes a little too long (and the solo has some admittedly strange lines in there). Even though the song meanders a bit back and forth between the staccato riffing and some more openly-played riffs, the final climax in the blast-beats with the low grunts (instead of the higher pitched vocals in the rest of the song) feels completely natural. The song then ends with 3 minutes of slow open chord riffing and another guitar solo (one that’s far better than the one in the middle). This song took way too long to grow on me, but despite being almost 12 minutes long turned out to be a very enjoyable ride. Even though it has its flaws, I like the diversity in this track between the slower and the faster. It’s a heavy song that doesn’t dial down on the heaviness anywhere, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t flow. At the first listen, I wouldn’t have guessed this one to end on top, but here it is.

Current Standings

Parama: 2, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2 (8)
Puppies_on_Acid: 1, 2, 0, 3, 3, 0 (9)
ariich: 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 (11)
Train of Naught: 1, 3, 1, 3, 2, 3 (13)
Nekov: 3, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2 (16)
Sacul: 4, 5, 1, 0, 3, 4 (17)
TAC: 4, 1, 4, 4, 4, 1 (18)
LordCost: 0, 4, 5, 1, 4, 5 (19)
Tomislav95: 3, 4, 3, 2, 5 (17)
Stadler: 5, 2, 4, 5 (16)

Next round has got to be interesting, considering these scores. It highly likely one of the bottom four is going to send his last song now. Make it count!

---

If you guys send Round 7 soon, I’ll have hangmanen up soon as well.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: July 16, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
Awesome!  :D

I'll think of what to send, probably will be tomorrow.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #688 on: July 16, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
So amusing that I have yet to score anything besides 0 or 2  :lol

I'll try to send a thing tonight but might be busy with my own roulette, we'll see

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #689 on: July 16, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
Even though I'm happy with the outcome of this round, and glad that you enjoyed the song, I'm wondering if you would have liked the song Ruun or the song As Fire Swept Clean the Earth by Enslaved better. I was going back and forth between the 3 songs trying to decide which to send you. Ultimately ended up sending Neogenesis obviously, but I cant help but wonder. Enslaved have so many good albums. They all have their own unique sound too. The whole Vertebrae album would probably be right up your alley. The only reason I didn't send anything from that is because I wanted you to have a good overview of what Enslaved are capable of, and the three aforementioned songs do just that. Anyway, if you have time, give those other 2 songs a listen and the Vertebrae album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #690 on: July 16, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
What is the next cut off?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #691 on: July 16, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
Even though I'm happy with the outcome of this round, and glad that you enjoyed the song, I'm wondering if you would have liked the song Ruun or the song As Fire Swept Clean the Earth by Enslaved better. I was going back and forth between the 3 songs trying to decide which to send you. Ultimately ended up sending Neogenesis obviously, but I cant help but wonder. Enslaved have so many good albums. They all have their own unique sound too. The whole Vertebrae album would probably be right up your alley. The only reason I didn't send anything from that is because I wanted you to have a good overview of what Enslaved are capable of, and the three aforementioned songs do just that. Anyway, if you have time, give those other 2 songs a listen and the Vertebrae album.

Thanks! I’ll have a go at them tomorrow :)

What is the next cut off?

20, and 23 after that.

And don’t leave me hanging on that song you sent. Do you really not like it? :p
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #692 on: July 16, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
I had Saved the album on Spotify a while back. It's not really my thing, but it is kind of ...neat. I'm have much heavier tastes and I really think it is by far the weakest thing I have sent.

I'll send something tonight. Gotta find something equally sucky.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #693 on: July 16, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
SENT!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #694 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:08 AM »
I have to get a 0 to get a palindrome sequence (0, 4, 5, 1, 4, 5... )
Me and Tac are sending only really good or really bad songs, weird results :lol.
I didn't expect to get 5 this round at all.. I'm sending soon.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #695 on: July 17, 2018, 05:11:33 AM »
Sent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: July 17, 2018, 06:57:08 AM »
Sent

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #697 on: July 17, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
I think you'll like that Artificial Language album, very good guitarwork and awesome theatrical/cinematic vibe throughout. For The Reign of Kindo I would check out Rhythm, Chord & Melody first, even though it's considerably less 'fun', definitely their best album.

Sending now also
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #698 on: July 17, 2018, 08:01:20 AM »
I'm throwing caution to the wind for this next round. You'll have your song in a few minutes.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #699 on: July 17, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
Just missing Parama now! (I think this is a first - has this ever happened before?)
Squ