Author Topic: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (The End..)  (Read 65313 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 5 Hangman!
« Reply #595 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:22 AM »
As promised, here is the Spotify Playlist for Round 5.

And the silly one-sentence write-ups to bring you all down for the time being:

I feared that with Stadler gone, I would get a very one-dimensional playlist for this round, as players are kind-of homing in on my tastes, but this is not the case. Quite some variety this round!

After the first few listens, I think this will be the hardest round to rank. There's a lot of solid stuff in here and it's mostly on the same level, with less standout tracks or moments than in previous rounds.

This track is ridiculously bombastic and it kind-of works as well.

This is by far the most interesting submission you've sent me this roulette; it's a great song as well!

This song is a little all over the place, but there's so much good stuff in it that's all tied together really well.

I'm not sure what the band is trying to achieve here, it seems to me the song lacks a build-up and a climax.

The middle part had me genuinely surprised and the guitar work is pretty awesome throughout.

There's not much wrong with this song, in fact it's quite solid, but there's nothing that sets it apart either.

This song is a little too long for its own sake, despite building up towards that ending.

The first few listens have left me relatively unimpressed; there's nothing to this song that makes it stand out in any way.

Easily the grooviest song of the round and a great way to break the metal momentum in the playlist.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #596 on: June 15, 2018, 05:30:06 AM »
Easily the grooviest song of the round and a great way to break the metal momentum in the playlist.[/i]
Oh hey look, it's Barky Bluppy
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: June 15, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »

This is by far the most interesting submission you've sent me this roulette; it's a great song as well!

If I had to guess I would say this one's mine
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #598 on: June 15, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »
Easily the grooviest song of the round and a great way to break the metal momentum in the playlist.
Oh hey look, it's Barky Bluppy
I wish  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #599 on: June 15, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
The first few listens have left me relatively unimpressed; there's nothing to this song that makes it stand out in any way.
definitely about aenaon :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #600 on: June 17, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
Sorry about not updating this roulette over the weekend. I had a family emergency that obviously had priority. I’ll try to get this round up asap, but I have a very busy week ahead at work, so I can’t promise anything as of now. Perhaps tuesday evening, but later this week is more likely.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
No worries man. I hope everything is ok now.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: June 22, 2018, 06:08:12 AM »
:bump:

How's this coming?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #603 on: June 22, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
Dont' let Elite sandbag you; he was blown away by Demi Lovato and is looking for a way to get Stadler back in this shindig. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #604 on: June 23, 2018, 04:15:43 AM »
Next sunday (tomorrow), with sincere apologies and an explanation as to why this round has been delayed.
Squ

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #605 on: June 24, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »
Well then, looks like Elite started working for RoadRunner Records...

:soon:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #608 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
Maybe he meant next Sunday...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #609 on: June 25, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »
Maybe he meant next Sunday...
But......

Next sunday (tomorrow), with sincere apologies and an explanation as to why this round has been delayed.

:biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 5 Results!
« Reply #610 on: June 25, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »
Round 5 Results

Read this first please:

My sincere apologies for drawing this round out for way too long. While I’ve had plenty of time to listen to all of your songs in the car over the course of the past two weeks, unfortunately real life gets priority and it has been a busy time. I realise this is not your problem at all, but it has set me back in finding the will and the time to sit down and actually write these results. I bought a house with my girlfriend and we are moving in together in a little under two weeks from now. Doing this kind of thing for the first time, I had no idea that I had to arrange so much shit, from making sure there’s electricity and internet there, to finding furniture and household appliances and lot of other stuff. At the same time, it’s the end of the school year (I work as a teacher) and getting everything done before the holidays start brings a lot of work-related stress. To add to all of this, a family member was hospitalised last week, so I really didn’t have my head at DTF or at delivering results for that matter. I hope this stuff clears it up a little, but with me moving in about two weeks, I can not promise the next round to go down quickly either, though I’ll honestly try my best. I like running this roulette and discovering new music and I would like the participants to feel like it matters to me. It really does and I’m very sorry for holding you back. So, here’s the results for round 5, finally, a week (and a day) too late.

5 Points

Tomislav95
Votum – Vertical
‘Progressive’ Metal – from ‘:ktonik:’ (2016)

I have heard of Votum and I’ve seen them live before as well, but I never checked out this band’s music afterwards. It must have been at the ProgPower fest, and there’s always a bunch of bands that leave a good impression that I want to check out further, and some bands I didn’t really care for enough to bother. Listening to this band, I can imagine they fall in the latter category. There’s not that much wrong with this song, but it commits the (for me) cardinal sin pf contemporary progressive rock bands: it’s forgettable, samey throughout and doesn’t do anything to resolve that. The chorus is fairly okay and the song builds up a little towards the end, but it’s too late too late crammed into a song that’s too long for it’s own good. At first I enjoyed this song a bit, but through repeated listens it became stale.

With 5 points added to your score, that means you’re the first to cross the 16 points line and that means you’ve been eliminated from the remainder of this roulette. Thank you very much for playing!

4 Points

LordCost
Black Peaks – Hang ‘Em High
Progressive / Post-Hardcore / Sludge – from ‘Statues’ (2016)

If ‘Vertical’ by Votum didn’t leave a bad impression through repeated listens, this one would have surely ended dead last. The vocals are beyond annoying in the first half (“to love, to break, to hate”) and the last two minutes are absolutely atrocious. The groove and musicianship is pretty much what saves this song from the last place, but I wouldn’t lie if I said I’d gladly have skipped the final section of the song. It serves no point whatsoever other than to be ‘artsy’ or whatever and succeeds only in being stupid. If you want to hear a climaxing breakdown section at the end of the song done right, listen to the end of ‘Contaminate Me’ by Leprous or ‘Chapter V: The Walls Bled Lust’ by The Fall of Troy.

TAC
Hyperomm – Whispers of Heavenly Death
Progressive Metal – from ‘From Nothing to Eternity (2017)

The best thing about this song is that it’s pretty short and compact. Pretty much what you expect from a progressive metal band when they write a short song, except that this one has growled vocals. The main melody is catchy and the instruments basically take the main role of actually providing melody to this song, since the vocals are pretty monotonously growled. I actually literally laughed the first time I heard the first line, because it sounds rather ridiculous. The vocalist redeems himself throughout the rest of the song, but it never really seems to take off beyond being a rather solid progressive metal song. The final minute is a nice addition with that sort-of solo section tacked onto the end. Quite solid, but nothing extraordinary.

3 Points

Puppies_on_Acid
Warpaint – Elephants
Experimental Rock – from ‘Exquisite Corpse’ (2009)

Why do you send something completely different every round? There’s no logic in your submissions, but this is a really good submission nonetheless. I think I have never heard anything quite like it, and my first listen I didn’t really know what to think about it either really. The distorted vocals I found especially weird, but I actually do like the effect it creates. It’s pretty chill, but with an underlying anger that occasionally gets the chance to break out. I find the orchestration to be very nice, because despite using traditional instruments, this band manages to create sounds that are fairly uncommon. In a sense, this song reminded me a little of Alt-J, which I like, but this is definitely more intense. What I hear here is some kind of restrained intensity that’s hard to describe, like the sounds this band makes. Nice submission, thanks!

Sacul
Snarky Puppy (with Shayna Steele) – Gone Under (Live)
Jazz-Fusion – from ‘Family Dinner – Volume 1’ (2013)

I’m going to the North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam in 3 weeks and this band is playing. I’ll definitely be checking them out there, because this is some insanely smooth, funky and groovy jazz. A love the big band vibe and the way the band plays to this singer’s strengths. From what I checked, they are mostly a jam-band and they randomly add singers at will. It shows in this track that the band knows exactly what they’re doing. Extremely well-composed & well-performed. This actually being live shows how good this band really is. I love how the band adds intensity through adding more parts in the latter half, with the guitarist taking a lead role, accentuated by the brass players. Really cool stuff indeed.

2 Points

Train of Naught
Le Grand Guignol – Lucilinburhuc
Progressive Metal – from ‘The Great Maddening’ (2007)

The start of this song sounds like it was badly cut off from the previous track on the album, but from the get-go it’s clear that we’re in for some intense symphonic blacked death metal stuff. The sound this band is going after in the first part of the song is comparable to stuff like Dimmu Borgir I guess (I’m seriously bluffing here, I only know that ‘Progenies of the Great Apocalypse’ track), but this song goes beyond imitation and adds some epic vocals, an acoustic passage and various build-ups towards the more extreme moments. While this song definitely has it’s flaws (production, mostly, but a couple of strange transitions here and there as well), it remains a fun listen that, while a little jarring at times, is adventurous enough to be interesting.

ariich
Destiny Potato – Lunatic
Djent Pop – from ‘Lun’ (2014)

I have heard of this band before and I think I might have listened to this album at least once back when it came out and some of the folk on this website here were raving about it. I don’t think I really payed attention while listening to this though, because this warrants more listens than just one (or two) some time ago when I wasn’t really focused. I love the guitar sound throughout, lovely djent tones and the chorus hook with the female singer is in stark contrast to the almost industrial sound of the instruments. Then that bridge kicks in; first time I was really floored, surprised that they actually managed to turn a song with pop sensibilities into a death metal blast-beat fest. The obvious comparison to Devin Townsend’s ‘Addicted’ is easily made here, but where Devin’s album is more metal-infused pop, the djent influences on this track make this more pop-infused djent. A small, but noticeable difference.

1 Point

Nekov
Kiev – Ariah Being
Neo-Prog-ish Alternative / Experimental Rock – from ‘Falling Bough Wisdom Teeth’ (2013)

Damn, this is easily the best song you’ve sent so far this roulette. It’s chill and laid-back, but in a very relaxing way without getting uninteresting at all. It’s lovely throughout, with lots of sounds that I can’t immediately place. This band creates lush atmospheres through very layered sounds, never sacrificing intricacy. Despite the singer not being remarkably good, he definitely gets the job done, but the highlight of this track are easily the textured background sounds and the instrumentalists. The saxophone lick takes the song to a new height and the ending in which everything comes together and climaxes into new material is of special notice. Amazing stuff and, like I said, easily your best submission yet, for being different and unique in a special way.

0 Points

Parama
Aenaon – Oneirodynia
Progressive Black(?) Metal with Saxophone – from ‘Hypnosophy’ (2016)

How the hell can a black metal song be so much fun? The first listen had me scratching my head a little at the vocals, which admittedly still sound slightly funny occasionally even on later listens, but the song definitely clicked almost instantly. I have guessed this song in numerous hangmanens before, but having never actually heard it, I was very interested in listening to this one and man, I understand why you send this song in almost every roulette. This is a beast, front to back, with lots of interesting sections and the intensity dialled at 10 almost all the way through. The musicianship is great and even though the vocals are still a little wacky, this song had no problem to take the #1 spot this round.

Current Standings

Parama: 2, 0, 2, 2, 0 (6)
ariich: 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 (8)
Puppies_on_Acid: 1, 2, 0, 3, 3 (9)
Train of Naught: 1, 3, 1, 3, 2 (10)
Sacul: 4, 5, 1, 0, 3 (13)
LordCost: 0, 4, 5, 1, 4 (14)
Nekov: 3, 3, 3, 4, 1 (14)
TAC: 4, 1, 4, 4, 4 (17)
Tomislav95: 3, 4, 3, 2, 5 (17)
Stadler: 5, 2, 4, 5 (16)

Barely any changes in standings, but with a surprising elimination due to Tomi's low (or high) score, considering so many players were on the edge of being gone this round. Next one is at 20 points, which as of now is only possible for TAC to achieve next round, but further rounds could push more players to that edge. The top 4 seem relatively safe as of now, but a misstep could potentially throw out all assumptions of safety.

---

Like I said in the introductory text of this round, I can’t promise any quick results due to my ridiculously busy life at this moment, but I’ll try my best. I will definitely not be able to churn out any results whatsoever without songs, so the sooner you send for Round 6, the better.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #611 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »
The hypnosophy booklet has pics of the band members in these over the top tribal costumes with a lot of body paint and it's over the top and hilarious and great, it helps that the music is killer (though, spoilers, oneirodynia is the best them)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: June 25, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Nice! Yeah they're definitely more of a live band than a studio one, and it shows. And that's one of their simple songs - check out that album, and We Like It Here for some more complex, but still smooth, fun jazz  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #613 on: June 25, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »
 :'(
Thanks for having me tho :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: June 25, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
It seems I need to go a very different route to get the job done  :D.

It's all cool if this takes longer, I think we all understand that real life complicates matters so just do what you have to do. And congrats on getting the house!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #615 on: June 25, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »
The second part of the song is the best moment of the song and of the album for me  :lol. I'm never tired of listening to the part when the song slows down and the climax starts.
I like a lot the ending of Contaminate Me but they are not comparable to me. I can put Hang 'Em High in a list of some of my favourite songs together with many by The Dillinger Escape Plan, or Hive Minds by Norma Jean. I see it as one of my favourite songs in the hardcore/metalcore area, which I feared you wouldn't be interested in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: June 25, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Oh boy. Will select my final song shortly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #617 on: June 25, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
I think the only logic to my submissions has been finding songs with a bit of quirkiness and with instrumentation that you, as a musician, can appreciate and pick apart.

Having said that, I think I'm slipping a bit. Your comments on my song were good, but my score didn't reflect that so much... I guess the others songs above (below?) me were even better.

I'll find something to send for the next round either this evening or tomorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #618 on: June 25, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »
The hypnosophy booklet has pics of the band members in these over the top tribal costumes with a lot of body paint and it's over the top and hilarious and great, it helps that the music is killer (though, spoilers, oneirodynia is the best them)

I can actually imagine some amount of theatricality with this band. The song is a little over the top as well

Nice! Yeah they're definitely more of a live band than a studio one, and it shows. And that's one of their simple songs - check out that album, and We Like It Here for some more complex, but still smooth, fun jazz  :metal

Yeah, looking forward to seeing them live! :tup

:'(
Thanks for having me tho :tup

And thank YOU for playing!

It seems I need to go a very different route to get the job done  :D.

It's all cool if this takes longer, I think we all understand that real life complicates matters so just do what you have to do. And congrats on getting the house!

Thanks! :D

Oh boy. Will select my final song shortly.

If you end up in the top half you'll still be in.

I think the only logic to my submissions has been finding songs with a bit of quirkiness and with instrumentation that you, as a musician, can appreciate and pick apart.

I see! :tup and so far it has payed off quite well :)
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #619 on: June 25, 2018, 11:20:37 PM »
i can't vouch for how they are live since i've never seen them but i'd hope it'd be a good, fun time
earth tomb off the same album definitely takes some notes from Ghost and that's not really surprising

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #620 on: June 25, 2018, 11:53:15 PM »
Ooh, congrats with the big news! And sorry to hear about the family member.

I'm pretty ok with that score, not my personal favourite off the album but like Parama just said, one of the more 'normal' songs and in my opinion a very complete song outside of the album context.

I know exactly what to send!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:55 AM »
Sent

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #622 on: June 26, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »
Doing this kind of thing for the first time, I had no idea that I had to arrange so much shit, from making sure there’s electricity and internet there, to finding furniture and household appliances and lot of other stuff.

Isn't that what the girlfriend is for?   

Kidding.  #MeToo #Madrespectforthewomeninmylife #LightenupFrancis

Seriously, congratulations!  That's a great big step!   Good luck!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #623 on: June 26, 2018, 07:33:56 AM »
I hope one day rich and rich will both have kids and we could have a baby-rich roulette on DTF

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #624 on: June 26, 2018, 03:22:43 PM »
Doing this kind of thing for the first time, I had no idea that I had to arrange so much shit, from making sure there’s electricity and internet there, to finding furniture and household appliances and lot of other stuff.

Isn't that what the girlfriend is for?   

Kidding.  #MeToo #Madrespectforthewomeninmylife #LightenupFrancis

Seriously, congratulations!  That's a great big step!   Good luck!

Thanks man! :D really looking forward to when all of the nusy stuff is over and we can settle down in the new place!

I hope one day rich and rich will both have kids and we could have a baby-rich roulette on DTF

You need to wait a couple of decades I think.

---

I have half of the submissions, four more needed before I can start hangmanen!
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #625 on: June 26, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »
Sent!  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: June 26, 2018, 11:25:47 PM »
I'm really not sure of what to send but I'll try send something tomorrow :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2018, 01:06:05 AM »
send st. vincent

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #628 on: June 27, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »
I have 6 songs in, one has to re-send. Still need my namesake and backwards Lucas.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
At this point I believe Sacul waits to send last to keep the routine