Author Topic: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (The End..)  (Read 65295 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 4 Hangman!
« Reply #490 on: June 06, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »
Clicked the Spotify playlist and dropped the needle in each song. Some interesting stuff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #491 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
"Apart from the pretty atrocious lyrics, this song is fairly alright, though I don't really understand why this band exists."

I'm curious about why a band should better not exists :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #492 on: June 06, 2018, 03:02:28 PM »
Clicked the Spotify playlist and dropped the needle in each song. Some interesting stuff.

Good! I don't make those playlists for nothing then :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #493 on: June 06, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
I have a feeling this is the round where I lose my lead... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #494 on: June 06, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
as long as i'm the one to take it from you  :tup

Parama - Cryptodira - Goddy Epicury - 5 pt
it suc

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:50 AM »
It's Friday....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #496 on: June 08, 2018, 06:19:10 AM »
And it will be for another ten hours.

I've begun typing the write-ups for this round, but I'm still not set on the scoring for this round. I'm pretty sure of the top three spots, but the rest is difficult to gauge. I'm also working, so I can't put all the time into this until I get home.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: June 08, 2018, 06:29:44 AM »
I know, I just like to bother people  ;D. Take all the time you need

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: June 08, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
same @ puppies

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #500 on: June 08, 2018, 09:13:25 AM »
It's Friday....
https://youtu.be/kfVsfOSbJY0
Spooky, as it was only today that I noticed that I still have "Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!" in my DTF profile personal text, and then the BBC News also had an article on the online abuse that Rebecca Black was subject to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44397472

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #502 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
You don't have to!

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #503 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »
Tomorrow morning!
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: June 08, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
:soon:  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #507 on: June 09, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
Round 4 Results

Sorry for postponing this stuff indefinitely and then saying I would do them this morning (at which time they were half-finished, honestly!) and then didn’t/ Here are the results finally. I hope at least you’ll appreciate me taking the time to write something substantial, instead of hurrying it along. I have to find a way to combine the roulette hosting with work and social activities a little better. The listening to your songs is no problem at all, it’s the typing out of stuff like this that takes more time than I think it will.

Well then.. here we go:

5 Points

Stadler
Liam Gallagher – All My People / All Mankind
Britpop – from ‘As You Were’ (2017)

After Gallagher brother #1 didn’t work, Stadler tries it again with Gallagher brother #2, which I frankly don’t understand. This brother’s song is actually a lot more compact than the Noel Gallagher track and therefore a little more straight-forward. I can easily see that this song is very well-written. It builds up, adding more instrumentation throughout, while the chorus hook remains the same. The thing with this kind of music is though, that when the chorus doesn’t really strike you, the song kind-of falls flat. I am not a fan of this guy’s voice – I don’t like Oasis either – so having his nasal-sounding voice stuck in my head as the chorus wormed it’s way inside was more annoying than anything else. That said; I do believe this is a good song and while I actually liked to have this track on my playlist for this round as some sort of intermission between the heavier stuff, it became relatively boring and predictable very quickly.

Sorry man. While I definitely appreciate your efforts and actually enjoyed the fact that you sent different music throughout, I don’t think we’re a good match musically. I know that my tastes are difficult to get, but I remember having the same problem in your roulette. With another 5 points added to your score, that means you’ll be the first person to be eliminated from this roulette. Thanks for playing!

4 Points

TAC
Ashes of Chaos – Ashes of Chaos
Progressive Metal – from ‘Eye’ (2013)

I’m sorry to have to disappoint you here, but I didn’t really like this track at all. The first listen was somewhat enjoyable, especially the very unexpected weird bridge in the song (I still believe that part of the song to be the best), but every subsequent listen I found myself to be more annoyed by various aspects of the song. The most dominant was the way in which the band connects the different sections of the songs. Neither is musically ‘bad’, or anything, but the sections are pieced together so sloppily that I can’t help but get annoyed. This didn’t really struck me at first listen, but now I find myself cringing especially at the transition at 3:00 . I found the keyboard solo to be played on an ugly keyboard sound and out-of-nowhere as well, even though the rest of the instrumental section is quite decent. The chorus of the song didn’t do anything for me and the way the singer pronounces the words here – and especially his own band name is hilarious (in a bad way – Ashaaaaas of Khaoooo). Having the chorus tacked to the end, but played slower made that part even worse. This review is likely to be unnecessarily harsh, but this was a swing and a miss from your part; sorry.

Nekov
Legend of the Seagullmen – The Orca
Mastodon-Light – from ‘Legend of the Seagullmen’ (2018)

This is the band of which I wondered why they exist – and I guess the primary reason is for the band-members to have some fun together. This is apparently a ‘supergroup’, of which the two most noteworthy members are Mastodon’s Brent Hinds on guitars and Tool’s drummer Danny Carey on (guess what) drums. The other members include a Zappa Plays Zappa bass-player and some guys I have never heard of before. The result of this collaboration is something I can only describe as ‘Mastodon-light’ and while I am a fan of Mastodon’s music, part of why that stuff works is because Mastodon as a band seem so much tuned into each other, that they know exactly what they’re going for. With this track, I’m not exactly sure what the band is trying to do. Brent Hinds delivers great guitar work that’s indeed reminiscent of Mastodon’s music, but for some reason it doesn’t really work here. The song is somewhat of a mess that doesn’t really go anywhere. It’s like the band threw some ideas together, put some terrible lyrics on top and called it a day. Highlight of this track are Brent Hinds’ guitar parts and Danny Carey’s drumming skills, but weirdly as it may sound, they rarely interlock on this track, as if they’re both doing their own thing without listening to each other. The result is a track that simply plods along without any strong hooks (apart from the line ‘the orca never sleeeeeps at night’, which honestly is more annoying to have stuck in your head than it is fun) or climax. Sorry, but this didn’t do it.

3 Points

Puppies_on_Acid
Gorod – State of Secret
Progressive Death Metal – from ‘Leading Vision’ (2006)

I honestly think that for death metal, this is probably insanely good, varied and original. It’s ‘just’ that death metal is not exactly my favourite style of music at all. The same-y low chugging riffs throughout, the blast-beats, but most importantly the vocals can’t seem to entertain me at all. I find it lacking something to connect to and especially the vocals are of the kind I dislike the absolute most. I realise very well that it is difficult to gauge my stance on the growled vocals, but like I said previously in this roulette; I prefer when I can actually hear the words and that gets easier when they resemble a voice more closely. Musicianship-wise though, this is pretty excellent and the middle part with the instrumental guitar noodlery is really enjoyable. For me personally, it’s a missed chance that the band only relies on the growled vocals and doesn’t alternate them with cleaner vocals. I’m still slightly torn on this one, and this shifted quite a bit in the rankings. Listening to this one on headphones instead of in the car actually showed me a lot more details that I’ve previously missed. I might actually check out more stuff from this band, because while death metal still isn’t my preferred genre, this band makes it more accessible through outstanding musicianship.

Train of Naught
Mile Marker Zero – The Architect
Progressive Rock / Metal – from ‘The Fifth Row’ (2018)

Keyboard-heavy progressive rock - or at least it starts out as that, it actually builds into something a lot heavier near the end, with riffs that remind one of djent. Yet another completely different submission from the Train. This song is not especially special, but is very well-executed. The chorus is very catchy and manages to get stuck in your head after just one listen and the fast pace of the song makes it an enjoyable ride. The last two minutes of the song, the band shows that they are capable of more than just a nice riff and a chorus hook, and expand on a keyboard hook. This is also the part where it gets a little heavier, with a bass-line building up into the aforementioned djent-like guitar riffs (even though the tone isn’t exactly reminiscent of djent). Structurally, they don’t do anything noteworthy with this track, but like I said previously, there’s also nothing wrong with this track at all. Just a fun rocker indeed.

Just one note; the last minute is completely unnecessary, but I let it slide because I suppose in the context of the album that spoken word passage actually makes more sense.

2 Points

Tomislav95
Ghost Brigade - Aurora
Melodic Death Metal – from ‘IV – One With The Storm’ (2014)

On every listen this song was a nice departure from some of the more technically challenging songs, because frankly, this is a fairly straightforward, albeit very good, melodic death metal song. It’s a very bleak sounding venture into angst and despair. Lots of melodic guitar work throughout, with a singer that reminded me of Layne Staley from Alice in Chains at times and the growled choruses that have so much punch, because they differ a lot from the softer verses. The ending to this song shows an unexpected twist with a build-up on a riff. Although probably the most straightforward of the metal songs I have received this round, it’s got great quality to it. Very nice and groovy, melodically interesting and well-structured.

Parama
Cryptodira – The Gods of Epicurus
Progressive Death Metal – from ‘The Devil’s Despair’ (2017)

The other progressive death metal track in this round (the other being Gorod) actually had me scratching my head at first. I am still not really a fan of the first 30 seconds or so, but what this track does a lot better than the Gorod track, is that it remains more interesting throughout by using lots of different ideas in instrumentation, but also in the use of the vocals. As far as the genre denominator goes, this one is more ‘prog’ than ‘death’, which probably explains its higher placement than the Gorod track. I especially like the quieter sections with clean vocals; parts that likely wouldn’t work on their own, but they’re very well written in between the heavier moments. The transitions are logical and the various parts follow each other up really well, creating a song that flows really well despite the inherent difference. The last minute and a half of the song is among the very best I’ve received this round. Imagine if Aquarius-era Haken also expanded their sound to death metal and this is what you’ll probably get. Good stuff!

1 Point

LordCost
Twelve Foot Ninja- Dig for Bones
Djent-ish Metal – from ‘Outlier’ (2016)

First price for best guitar sound this round goes to Twelve Foot Ninja in this track. What a wacky song this is indeed, but those djent guitars are lovely. This is very groovy, yet manages to throw strange stuff into the song, like the Nintendo-sounds around two minutes, or the random acoustic guitars a minute earlier. Despite pretty much jumping all over the place, this song definitely feels like a well-composed whole. The chorus-hook returns at various times in the song, even though the backing instruments play something different basically every time. It’s a short song and that probably helps a lot in this track being very cohesive. The quieter ending therefore works surprisingly well as the closing notes for the weirder stuff that happened earlier in the song. As far as weird metal goes, this is exactly the groovyness I’m looking for. I’m definitely going to look further into this stuff, if this turns out to be their forte – and not just an outlier in their discography (but the way it’s been executed makes me believe their other material is at least comparable to this one).

ariich
Dissona – Another Sky
Progressive Metal – from ‘Paleopneumatic’ (2016)

In a time where progressive metal usually has a hard time of convincing me of its quality, as lots of stuff tends to sound similar, this track comes in and shows me that – indeed – there’s still great stuff I haven’t discovered yet. I have been sent this band before; I received the song ‘Nest’ in my very first roulette about 5 years ago, but I have never bothered to check out this band afterwards. In hindsight, this is obviously a mistake, but it also wouldn’t have given you the opportunity to send this track, so I guess it works both way.

This song constantly throws lots of curveballs your way, and managing to stay interesting throughout. This starts with the first riff on keyboards and doesn’t stop until the song is over. Vocally, this is really good, but the instrumentalists on this track definitely know their way around their instruments. The guitar solo around the 2:40 mark is a special highlight, with the way it flows into that majestic chorus afterwards. BY then you think the song stops, but there’s 6 more minutes to go and we enter a chilled electronic instrumental section with yet another guitar solo, acoustic this time. The part that enters around 4:30 has been stuck in my head during this week and the songs ebbs and flows on, until it really gets quieter around the seven minute mark. The song then just needs to end with an epic moment and of course that happens as well. Although structurally, this is pretty much a mini prog-epic, this one truly has a style of its own. I’ll remedy the fact that I haven’t listened to this band and I’ll get to this album for sure. Just one thing: that fade-out =[

0 Points

Sacul
Indukti - …and Who’s the God Now?
Progressive Metal with Ethnic Influences – from ‘IDMEN’ (2009)

I’ve seen the name ‘Indukti’ before and always assumed for some reason – I don’t know why – that it was an electronic music group. That couldn't be further from the truth, as this is definitely NOT an electronic music group.This song starts out frantically with the drums and builds up throughout the first two minutes and by the time you think it can’t get any more intense, it still does. I have a hard time describing what actually goes on in this song, but it’s so ridiculously good. It’s a combination of build-up elements; mostly by the drums that keep the pace throughout. The guitars get heavier at times, and the vocals add a ton of layers to further build up the intensity. This track is comparable to ‘Dirty Boy’ by Cardiacs in the sense that it grabs you right at the first second, hits you with a sledgehammer and doesn’t stop or slow down until it finished. And just when you think it’s finished, it throws another curveball right at you in the form of weirdly distorted vocals. This track had me ‘wow’-ing throughout.

What happened with your submissions in the first two rounds? I don’t get it. This is leagues above the first two songs you sent and is right up there with my favourites of this roulette so far.

Current Standings

ariich: 2, 1, 2, 1 (6)
Parama: 2, 0, 2, 2 (6)
Puppies_on_Acid: 1, 2, 0, 3 (6)
Train of Naught: 1, 3, 1, 3 (8)
Sacul: 4, 5, 1, 0 (10)
LordCost: 0, 4, 5, 1 (10)
Tomislav95: 3, 4, 3, 2 (12)
Nekov: 3, 3, 3, 4 (13)
TAC: 4, 1, 4, 4 (13)
Stadler: 5, 2, 4, 5 (16)

Some changes in the standings in the top half, with a three way tie at the very top, but also the bottom is shifting slightly. Stadler is the first to cross the elimination line of 13 points and both TAC and Nekov were saved by just scoring lower than Stadler. Next elimination is for the first player to score 16 points, which some participants are dangerously close to.

---

You are free to start sending Round 5 from now on. If I have everything before the end of the weekend, I can guarantee the listens throughout next week and have results up in about a week again.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:25:11 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 4 Results!
« Reply #508 on: June 09, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
Score isn't the best but I'm glad you liked that!

Now deciding between two very weird bands, not sure whether to pick  :omg: werid or  ??? weird

that Indukti album is awesome, even if the song you were sent is the best on the album, still plenty to like

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #509 on: June 09, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
That Ghost Brigade album is :metal check it out
Hmmm, what to send next not to get eliminated :justjen
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
I wondering if I would have scored better with one of Gorod's newer tracks. The only reason I used this one was because it was the song that introduced me to the band. The newer albums are much more progressive and varied. Oh well.  :facepalm:

Gonna have to step it up for the next round. I want sole possession of first place again.  :angry:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
Ouch! I’m in the wrong roulette.

Kade’s gonna hate it too.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
I can live with that, sure. All the songs above me I know and they're all good so :lol should've just sent Dissona myself I guess rip
Will try to send some time this weekend

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
lol I'm so out next round  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
Hell yeah :metal

Yeah I just realized I was better off sending you metal and similar :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #515 on: June 09, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »
you'd do well to realize that in my roulette too, assuming you survive this next round  :corn
but yeah that's easily the best indukti song though, the album as a whole is pretty solid but they don't really even come close to topping that one

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #516 on: June 09, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
you'd do well to realize that in my roulette too, assuming you survive this next round  :corn

Speaking of your roulette; when? :corn
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »
yeah, i'm working on it
you took almost 2 weeks with only 8 songs, i'm gonna try and finish this weekend with 8 whole albums  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »
you took almost 2 weeks with only 8 songs

I started listening thursday last week, so that's 9 days and I had 10 (TEN!) songs, so there :corn

That said; I have 3 submissions for next round. I need 6 more. Bring them to me!
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #519 on: June 10, 2018, 03:42:50 AM »
should've just sent Dissona myself I guess
Yes you should as I've now caught up with you. :lol

Sent for round 5!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #520 on: June 10, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
I would call Ghost Brigade doom metal, and even post-metal at times. That album is more like modern Anathema that went all dark and gloomy again, even though there's the odd melodeath-y moment.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #521 on: June 10, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »
Sent! Hopefully its a song that will get me back in sole possession of first place.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #522 on: June 10, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »
I would call Ghost Brigade doom metal, and even post-metal at times. That album is more like modern Anathema that went all dark and gloomy again, even though there's the odd melodeath-y moment.

I just listened to almost the entire album and I can definitely hear the post-metal. That would in fact be a more fitting description, although I still stand by ‘Melodic Death Metal’ for the track I was sent, even though genre nmes, especially in metal, don’t really bother me much anyways. I can’t hear the ‘doom metal’ at all thoygh; I was unfder the impression that it needs to be either a lot slower, or more theatrical for that.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: June 10, 2018, 11:39:26 AM »
Done

Offline LordCost

« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
Sent! I was almost sure you would have liked that song the Twelve Foot Ninja song, even if they have certain similarities with Shaolin Death Squad. Dig For Bones is their most adventorous song, but you will found the same sound in their other songs.

I will listen to Dissona with more attention and the Indukti write-up got me interested to them too.