Author Topic: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (The End..)  (Read 65348 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 2 Hangman!
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:55 AM »
Rich sent Diablo Swing Orchestra?
Sacul sent North Atlantic Oscillation?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #246 on: May 16, 2018, 08:36:55 AM »
Rich sent Diablo Swing Orchestra?
yeah agreed Elite sent DSO in Elite's roulette

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »
I'm talking about the real Rich, not the other Rich :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
:lol

And yes that's correct.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
And here's the Round 2 Spotify Playlist! (with Pathosray's 'Scent of Snow' missing, because it's not available in my country..)

What country are you in?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2018, 01:05:01 PM »
And here's the Round 2 Spotify Playlist! (with Pathosray's 'Scent of Snow' missing, because it's not available in my country..)

What country are you in?

Holland. They can smoke weed but not listen to some songs apparently..

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
Apparently. Luckily, the song is on Youtube. This is a first for me with something not being available on Spotify..

My namesake sending DSO is indeed correct. Sacul did not send North Atlantic Oscillation.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »
Round 2 Results

Incoming fast…

5 Points

Sacul
The Stooges – Fun House
Punk-ish Avant-Garde from ‘Funhouse’ (1970)

Excuse the blunt question, but what the fuck is this and why did you expect this to ever go down well? I have had literally no enjoyment out of this track whatsoever. It’s repetitive to the point of being boring after about 1,5 minutes of hearing the same groove again, but what really kills it off mercilessly is Iggy Pop’s terrible vocals on top of this. This could have been decent if he had simply shut up, and if the band had done something interesting with the groove instead of playing the same thing for over seven minutes. Well, okay, the saxophonist does some soloing here and there, but the monotonous way in which he does this gets stale after a while too. I don’t really care how influential this might have been, I found this a chore to get through every single listen.

4 Points

LordCost
Thumpermonkey – Sleeve
Progressive Metal – from ‘Sleep Furiously’ (2012)

Where your last submission was so good, this one barely does anything to me. I found this to be fairly generic and the relatively bad production doesn’t help it either. The guitars are very tame, and even then they don’t really groove whatsoever. I don’t really find anything memorable about this track, apart from the ‘if you watch my back’-vocal line. This song not really having any hooks or chorus doesn’t help it either. The whole just falls flat. I must give the singer some props for pretty good delivery on the higher registry vocal lines though. I don’t think this band is for me.

Tomislav95
Rishloo – Dark Charade
Progressive Rock – from ‘Living as Ghosts With Buildings as Teeth (2014)

I feel kind of bad for giving this such a low score, because there’s quite some good stuff in here and especially the vocalist is seriously good. This song though, tries to do far too much for it’s own good. It’s a disjointed mess with ideas that are decent at least, but they never get time to be fleshed out properly. Prime example of this is the heavy riff that comes in at around the 4,5 minute mark. There’s also far too many moments where the songs just seems to plod along, without going anywhere and despite the length, there’s no climax to be found, which really is a shame. Whatever this band tried to do with this track, it was either far too ambitious and it doesn’t work, or I don’t get it at all. After seven listens (the same amount I’ve given all other tracks as well), it’s still not working for me and the good moments in this track (and their certainly are some!) can not make up for all the lacklustre ones. Sorry, but this is probably not the best introduction to this band for me.

3 Points

Train of Naught
Jamie Lenman – Hell in a Fast car
Hard Rock – from ‘Devolver’ (2017)

So, this song started out pretty well, but dropped fairly quickly. It’s a simple hard rock song, which isn’t really a problem, except that it gets old pretty soon. The main riff is really cool though and sounds huge (moreso than the riffs that should have sounded huge on the previous two tracks). Can we take a moment for the ridiculously terrible lyrics though? So, there’s not much to this track, but there’s also not a whole lot wrong with it. It’s that there were a couple of tracks that didn’t go down well, but in general this is not exactly what I’m looking for in music.

Nekov
Dave Kerzner - Hypocrites
Progressive Rock – from ‘Static’ (2017)

Dave Kerzner is the main man behind the band Sound of Contact (I had to look up who this guy is), and that’s a band that I’ve seen live, but they probably didn’t do much for me, because I have never bothered to check out the band’s stuff after that gig. If their music is anything similar to this track, I can imagine why this is. This one isn’t bad, but it doesn’t really grab me either, it simply goes on, but I can’t really explain what part of it I don’t like. It might be the lack of a clear hook or something else that’s memorable, or the lack of a climax. I also think the track is too long for it’s own sake and would have benefitted from some trimming. The build-up in the last two minutes is actually very good, but the two or three minutes before that barely add anything to the song and a classic case of prog-rock band trying to over-write their songs for no sake other than to make them longer, because musically nothing interesting or important is added there. Like Trainy’s song above, in this round the damage is not that substantial, but these sort of songs don’t usually work for me and in a stronger round overall, this would not have been in the middle of the pack.

2 Points

Stadler
The Claypool Lennon Delirium – Ohmerica
Psychedelic Rock - from ‘Monolith of Phobos’ (2016)

I had to double-check if that really wasn’t John Lennon singing, but apparently it’s his son. Now this was a strange submission in this round full of experimental and prog music, ut it was a very welcome change indeed. Very interesting stuff going on in this track, even though the main vocal line (the chorus?) is a bit boring and forgettable. The first minute of the track is especially funny, with sort-of random noises introducing the excellent psychedelic atmosphere of the song. The verses are chock-full of very musical touches, mostly by bass-player extra-ordinaire Les Claypool, who has a lead-role in filling up every measure of the song. The instrumental parts are funky and groovy, yet the vocals get ample room to shine throughout. This song has a very distinct (though bluntly obvious ‘psychelic’) sound that really works, which is always a plus for me. I really liked this one!

Puppies_on_Acid
North Atlantic Oscillation – Empire Waste
Post-Progressive / Electronic – from ‘Fog Electric’ (2012)

So, this is a weird submission. It’s very laid-back in a funny way, despite being quite up-tempo. The song gradually builds up more layers, but the core melody is audible from the beginning in the vocals. Then the electronica-drums enter, and the vocals enter, but they’re multi-layered this time, creating a very ‘hazy’ atmosphere. It’s barely impossible to hear the words they’re singing, but that doesn’t really matter. It works in this song. The main gripe I had with this track is that the second half of it Is just kind of ‘there’. The entire groove of the song just drops out, leaving just acoustic guitars, synths and different vocal lines. The second half is a nice touch, but to me it feels like it comes out of nowhere, after the excellent build-up in the first half. Nevertheless, this is some great stuff, and I will check out more from this group!

1 Point

TAC
Pathosray – Scent of Snow
Progressive Metal – from ‘Pathosray’ (2007)

Yeah, this is pretty awesome. In this round, this song had no trouble climbing to the top 3 at all. I’m almost always down for this kind of stuff, as long it stays in relatively low doses. I’m a regular visitor of ProgPower Europe since 2010 and obviously this band has played there, although in a year when I wasn’t there (2008). This would fit in easily indeed. Good riffs, good song structure, great guitar work and the catchiest chorus of the round  (even though I can’t for the life of me hit those high notes without sounding weird). Quality stuff. Just a note for you – and other participants reading: sending this kind of stuff to me may be tempting, but for me there’s a thin line between stuff I enjoy and stuff with too much ‘wankery’ going on. This was good, but the instrumental part shouldn’t have taken much longer, Pagan’s Mind sound like mindless drivel to me for instance. But yeah, this was you playing to my ‘guilty’ prog-metal pleasures. Good one, a shame the album isn’t in Spotify.

ariich
Diablo Swing Orchestra – Karma Bonfire
Swing Metal – from ‘Pacifisticuffs’ (2017)

Upon first listen, I honestly didn’t expect this track to take the second place as it took a couple of listens to grow on me. I had heard of this band before, and tried (to no avail) to like their 2009 album ‘Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious’, but I found it to be a little boring and they didn’t really blend their fusion and metal well enough; it was disjointed and not polished enough. This track however is incredibly slick. I love the rhythmic riffery, the touches of swing with the trumpet and trombone and the dual lead vocals by the male and female singer. If the rest of this album is equally good, I’ll gladly have a listen. I never followed the band beyond their 2009 album, because I wasn’t too interested, but this might have me listen again!

0 Points

Parama
Zu – Ostia
Experimental Metal – from ‘Carboniferous’ (2009)

So yeah, Sacul was right in calling the round winner – and it wasn’t difficult for me at all. Pretty weird to have an instrumental top the round, but I can’t have it any other way; this track is amazing. When you said this is similar to Shining’s ‘Fisheye’ (which I think is a superior track to this one by the way), I was immediately intrigued and this is indeed very similar in style, though very different in execution. This goes more into avant-garde territory with the saxophone doing those crazy solos over the grooves. I also feel this band takes a little more influence from electronic music than Shining does, but the result is amazing nonetheless. It’s frantic, it’s fast, it’s heavy and it’s a little weird. Thanks, more stuff to check out! :)

Current Standings

Parama: 2, 0 (2)
ariich: 2, 1 (3)
Puppies_on_Acid: 1, 2 (3)
Train of Naught: 1, 3 (4)
LordCost: 0, 4 (4)
TAC: 4, 1 (5)
Nekov: 3, 3 (6)
Stadler: 5, 2 (7)
Tomislav95: 3, 4 (7)
Sacul: 4, 5 (9)

---

You are free to start sending Round 3 from now on. It would be nice to have all submissions on Saturday, so I can get some listens in over the weekend. I have a long weekend ahead of me and plan to have the next results in a week or so.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:28:26 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Round 2 Results!
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
 :metal
Will send some crap tonight, maybe I'll just keep sending weird jazz metal all roulette, dunno

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
Excuse the blunt question, but what the fuck is this and why did you expect this to ever go down well? I have had literally no enjoyment out of this track whatsoever. It’s repetitive to the point of being boring after about 1,5 minutes of hearing the same groove again
Probably for the same reason you sent me that Kayo Dot song in my last roulette :neverusethis:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
I wish I had more weird music in my library :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:48 PM »
Sacul is getting closer to the land of Thirteen. :corn
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
Excuse the blunt question, but what the fuck is this and why did you expect this to ever go down well? I have had literally no enjoyment out of this track whatsoever. It’s repetitive to the point of being boring after about 1,5 minutes of hearing the same groove again
Probably for the same reason you sent me that Kayo Dot song in my last roulette :neverusethis:

Oh, you tried getting back at me for that track? Well, see how it worked out for you! :neverusethis:
Squ

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2018, 11:37:51 PM »
Tied for second place ain't bad. I'll find something to send for round 3.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: May 17, 2018, 11:55:24 PM »
okay sent off a bad idea time to soak up those 5 points

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2018, 12:21:55 AM »
I gave the song a closer listen after sending it and was thinking "do I really want to do this?" I had only listened to it during work in the background and thought it was a very cool rocking sound (at times a bit QOTSA-ish which I think you kinda like?) but man those lyrics :lol :lol

Glad it wasn't the clunker I expected! Oh and judging from the writeup I think you might still enjoy that Rishloo album! Give it a try sometime.

Sending off bad idea soon :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2018, 12:58:07 AM »
Sent more crazy stuff for round 3!  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2018, 01:34:02 AM »
I gave the song a closer listen after sending it and was thinking "do I really want to do this?" I had only listened to it during work in the background and thought it was a very cool rocking sound (at times a bit QOTSA-ish which I think you kinda like?) but man those lyrics :lol :lol

Glad it wasn't the clunker I expected! Oh and judging from the writeup I think you might still enjoy that Rishloo album! Give it a try sometime.

Well, to be honest, it kind of would have been a clunker, if not for the three songs below you; overall I think the Rishloo track offers more interesting ideas and if they can focus their writing a little more, I guess their music holds more replay value than the Jamie Lenman album. I looked at their other stuff, and Dark Charade is by far their longest track. I might like their other stuff more, indeed. It's just that Dark Charade was unfocused and incoherent and that's what gave it its low score, despite holding some good ideas.

I wish I had more weird music in my library :lol

Tying in with this: I don't think that's really necessary though. Yes, the best scoring songs in the past two rounds were 'weird', but there's also more normal songs scoring high. I realise my tastes might be difficult to gauge, but I hope the write-ups give some insight in why I did or didn't like the songs sent so far.
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2018, 02:21:04 AM »
Schweet. Yeah definitely check out the latest DSO album, it's a real step forward than their previous albums in terms of slick fusion of theatrical metal and swing/folk.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2018, 03:29:58 AM »
Elite, I’ll send today after work. Probably be late Friday night for you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2018, 03:44:44 AM »
Oh, but that's fine. If I can start listening on Sunday that will give me plenty of time!
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2018, 06:12:55 AM »
Well, as I said in my PM, I was hoping you were a fan of the later Crimson which is what this sounds like. I guess not. Regarding sound of contact, they had entered the studio to record their second album and split up in the middle of the process. I have no clue what happened but it's a shame for me since I really liked the first album.

I'll be sending shortly.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2018, 06:27:28 AM »
I think they've gotten back together and then split again since then. :lol I'm not holding my breath either.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »
Oh and judging from the writeup I think you might still enjoy that Rishloo album! Give it a try sometime.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't enjoy it, I thought Tomi would get at maximum 1 point since I hear a certain similarity with The Mars Volta, and they have even longer and weirder songs.

I have probably chosen the wrong song too, I have to send the track Wheezyboy for the rest of my roulettes in this forum when it comes to Thumpermonkey even if it's not among my favourites. You can try their latest four track EP Electricity of 2017, but I'm not so sure you will like the band at this point.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
Just came home from the longest working day ever (left home at 07:30 and came back at 01:00) and ai have 8 songs in already! There’s two people that need to resend though; check your PM if you’re one of the lucky people!
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
Darn, didn't get lucky

Offline LordCost

« Reply #271 on: May 18, 2018, 07:46:50 PM »
I'll resend tomorrow :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2018, 04:34:52 AM »
Wow, thanks for promptly send different songs!

Just missing Slackul right now.
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
Wow, thanks for promptly send different songs!

Just missing Slackul right now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »
everyone's favorite d-boy dacul does it again

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:43 PM »
Sended

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »
Indeed! Hangmanen up soon.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »
before we even start i want the d