Author Topic: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: EP Results (The End..)  (Read 65274 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Elite’s Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette

My last roulette was about three years ago and after all this time actively playing in roulettes (if you’ll excuses my bad habit of often being the last to send in a round), I thought it would be good to host one of these myself again. While the idea of people sending me new music and having to score those is appealing to me, I have found in previous roulettes that it’s hard to do a song justice with a conventional scoring method. This is why I ultimately resorted to ‘stacked’ scoring in roulette one and elimination style in roulettes 2 & 3. I can see why this would not be a nice way to host a roulette, though, so I’ve invented a device that combines stacked scoring and elimination. Intrigued? Come on in!

Although I can fully appreciate the time and effort people have been putting into roulettes recently, most notably with listening to complete albums, I do not have the liberty to listen to music while working, so if I would do that this roulette would take ages. It’s very appealing to me to be ‘forced’ to listen to multiple albums, but time constraints force me to have this be a song roulette. I listen to music while in the car mostly and I play CD’s almost exclusively. When I’m at home I try to discover new music as well, drawing from Spotify predominantly. I also take in recommendations from other forum members, only music magazines and/or blogs. In the last two/three years, the amount of new music I have listened has been reduced, mostly due to time constraints. Time for that to change and hence this roulette!

Apologies in advance for this very long post!

Participants

1. Parama
2. ariich
3. Puppies_on_Acid
4. Sacul
5. LordCost
6. Tomislav95
7. Train of Naught
8. TAC
9. Nekov
10. Stadler

Due to the nature of this roulette (see rules), I will not take any more than 10 participants. This will be by first come, first serve. The announcement for this roulette in the tracker thread has been a way to sign up prior to this thread being posted.

Rules & Rounds:

What have you gotten yourselves into?

• As stated in the introduction: this is a song roulette.
  • Send me your submission through PM, by e-mail or by any other means necessary. I prefer Spotify links, so that I can combine the submissions into a playlist. If you do not use Spotify, I can find it myself. If the song you’re sending is not on Spotify, you’ll have to find a way to get it to me. A Youtube link will work, as will actual MP3 files.
  • Once an artist is submitted, it will be banned for the remainder of the roulette. If two or more people happen to send the same artist in one round, that’s fine. I will not accept the same song twice though. First come, first serve.
  • There will be no themes, you’re free to send whatever you (think I would) like.
  • Please try to send your songs quite soon after a round ends. I will not impose a hard deadline, but I’d like to keep this moving at a reasonable pace. I’d like to finish a round every 1,5 weeks, though you’ll have to excuse me if it sometimes takes a little longer due to work.
  • Please keep your submissions reasonable with regards to length. I’ll accept anything and everything as long as the song is under 15 minutes.
  • There will be a maximum of 8 rounds, followed by an EP round for the top 4 contenders. This Final Round will consist of you sending a maximum of 40 minutes of music by a minimum of three different artists. Additional information will follow later.
  • EP ROUND RULES (Added Aug. 8)

The Elimination Aspect:

• Scoring will take place using the following formula: I will rank the songs from best to worst and give scores ranging from 0 to 5. The best, or my favourite, song gets 0 points, my least favourite gets 5. The other songs get either 1, 2, 3 or 4 points. Every number, apart from 0 and 5, will be used twice. In short: I’ll dish out 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 points, one for each participant.
  • Eliminations will not happen at the end of a fixed round, but at the moment someone gains a certain amount of points and crosses this line. The first elimination will take place when somebody accumulates 13 points. The second elimination line is at 16 points, then 20, then 23, then 26 and finally at 30.
  • The player with the most points gained in a round, will be eliminated in the event two people cross an elimination line in the same round. If two people gain the exact same amount of points, the player with the most points before the round will be eliminated. In the (hopefully rare) event of a tie here; both players are eliminated and the next elimination line will be skipped.
  • After each elimination one of the possible scores you can get disappears (since there will be less people playing). These are (in order): 1, 4, 2, 3, 0.
  • The elimination rounds stop the moment there are only 4 players left, to a maximum of eight rounds. These players will automatically enter the final round of the roulette.
  • In the event that there are more than 4 people left at the end of Round 8, everybody but the top 4 players gets eliminated. This is to ensure that this elimination game does not continue indefinitely and to set a maximum amount of rounds before the final EP round. Existing scores at that point will not alter your chances of winning the EP round whatsoever; you merely have to ‘make it’ to the EP round in order to play in the finals.

The Score So Far:
[This list will be updated with current scores during the roulette.]

Parama: 2, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 3, 2 (13)
Puppies_on_Acid: 1, 2, 0, 3, 3, 0, 2, 3 (14)
ariich: 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 5, 1 (17)
TAC: 4, 1, 4, 4, 4, 1, 1, 0 (19)
Train of Naught: 1, 3, 1, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3 (19)

Sacul: 4, 5, 1, 0, 3, 4, 0, 5 (22)
LordCost: 0, 4, 5, 1, 4, 5, 2, 4 (25)
Nekov: 3, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 4 (20)
Tomislav95: 3, 4, 3, 2, 5 (17)
Stadler: 5, 2, 4, 5 (16)

Round Results & Playlists:
[Links will be updated during the roulette.]

ROUND 1 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 2 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 3 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 4 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 5 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 6 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 7 - Spotify Playlist
ROUND 8 - Spotify Playlist

EP ROUND PT. 1 (0/5)
EP ROUND PT. 2 (1/5)
EP ROUND PT. 3 (2/5)
EP ROUND PT. 4 (3/5)
EP ROUND PT. 5 (5/5)

About me and my tastes:

I’ve seen very elaborate posts on music tastes in roulettes recently and I do not think I can do those examples justice with what I’m about to post here, simply because I tend to not have a clear definition of what I really like in music. I’ll try to paint a picture of how I got to enjoy the music I do, rather than list things I like and dislike in different genres of music.

I grew up on rock and hard-rock; Queen and Alice Cooper were my obsessions when I was about 8-11 years old. I never lost a dislike for guitar-influenced music, even though I was a saxophonist in a bands as well. I got into metal when I was in high school and started playing guitar at about 15 years old, but the Metallica and Iron Maiden music didn’t interest me nearly as much as I thought it would; I was looking for more challenging stuff. My mother at the time was a fan of bands like Dream Theater and Shadow Gallery. By then I had heard SFAM and Images & Words, as well as Shadow Gallery’s Legacy countless times in her car, but it was hearing John Petrucci’s guitar sound on Awake that changed everything for me and I got into Dream Theater and later into Porcupine Tree upon hearing Coma Divine. I owe most of my musical heritage to Dream Theater’s Images & Words (my all-time favourite album) and Coma Divine, which remains my favourite live album by anyone ever.

In high school I started a band with my best friend. This band exists to this day and has released a debut album last year. I’m the guitarist in this alternative/progressive metal band, but we started out way more in the ‘classical’ Dream Theater-esque prog. Modern progressive metal artists, such as Leprous and Agent Fresco helped shape the sound of our band, but they also shaped my musical preferences. After high school, I went to study as a musicologist, taking in lots of different musics, but also making music in new ensembles. I’ve been the guitarist in pop/rock cover bands, I’ve played in experimental and post-rock bands and to this day, there’s lots of people I regularly jam with, mostly in different forms of jazz. For me, music has to be fun most of all. And I believe the best way to experience music is to actively partake in it. This is why I ultimately decided to become a music teacher, to share the experience, fun and knowledge I have had with music. Apart from the guitar and saxophone, I’ve taught myself to play the piano (though I’m not good by any means) and have sung in classical choirs. As long as there’s something to learn, that’s fun, and music continues to be hobby I have, despite working in music too. This week alone for example, I’ve played Jazz guitar with a buddy, I had a band practice for the progressive metal band and I’m singing Fauré’s Requiem tomorrow evening.

Now what do I actually like? One of my favourite albums of all-time (which you can’t find in the top 50, because I only discovered it afterwards) is Captain Beefheart’s ‘Trout Mask Replica’, an album deemed unlistenable by many. I love it, because it’s so weird and random, yet most of all, tons of fun. I like good grooves and riffs, especially in metal music. If it doesn’t move me in any way, it’s bland. I like (unusual) combinations of styles and unexpected twists and turns, but I can also enjoy music that’s fairly standard as long as it’s executed well. About a year ago I was heavily into both Ulver and Radiohead, which seems like a unusual combination, but both these bands have such a unique identity that can’t really be compared with other bands. It’s the same thing with Images & Words; lots of stuff came afterwards, but the original is the best. I want to hear stuff I haven’t really heard before. This is why bands like Leprous, Obsidian Kingdom and Agent Fresco speak to me; they change things up and create their own sound. Perhaps this is also why I love the aforementioned Captain Beefheart album; it’s unique and nothing else comes close.

One of the problems I have had with the education I had, and this is something that’s a problem within my circle of friends from university, is that sometimes I can’t really listen to music without immediately judging what happens. It’s become so easy to find faults, but also to enjoy stuff unconditionally. I’ve been trained both as a musicologist and as a musician and teach students between 12 and 18 music as well. It’s safe to say that music is an everyday aspect of my life. I’ve heard and know so much music, that I can’t even begin to list everything I know. At heart though; I’m still a progressive metal guy. Nothing beats rocking out to an amazing groove when you can.

If all of this is still too vague; my last album top 50 (link below) had very elaborate ‘reviews’ of why that album was placed in my top 50. Even though it’s two years old, a lot of the descriptions are still true. I’ve linked the other roulettes I have hosted below as well. I’ll try to be a more entertaining host this time around.

Links:

My latest album top 50
(march 2016 – a bit dated but still pretty accurate)
First Roulette (2012)
Second Roulette (2013)
Third Roulette (2015)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:17:46 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: read the OP.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:52:50 AM »
Ban(ne)d list:

Since I deleted my last.fm account not too long ago and do not really keep track of what I listen to in any other way; I found compiling a band list to be harder than I thought it would be. This next list is a list of bands/artists I physically own music from. Besides this list, I’ve made a list of albums I have listened to that were released in the past 3,5 years (2015 – present). This whole list is very likely to be incomplete. It could very well be that you would send me something that I have heard already, in which case I will ask you to re-send. I addition to all the bands on this lists, I'm a regular visitor of progressive rock/metal festivals. It could very well be that I have seen the band you're sending in a live setting, but never got to listen to their studio work.

Artists that are current favourites for whatever reason will be in red.

Affector
Agalloch
Agent Fresco
Alarion
Alestorm
Alice Cooper
Alice in Chains
Alter Bridge
Anathema
Anciients
Anna von Hausswolff
Arcade Fire
Arena
Aristocrats, The
Arjen Anthony Lucassen
Arkentype
Armed Cloud
At The Gates
Avantasia
Ayreon
B.B. King
Beardfish
Beatles, The
Ben Folds Five
Between the Buried & Me
Beyond the Bridge
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Blood Stain Child
Boudewijn de Groot
Breaking Benjamin
Bruce Springsteen
Burning Point
Caligula’s Horse
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Cartographer
Children of Bodom
Circus Maximus
Contortionist, The
Converge
Crowded House
Cynic
Dagoba
Dandy Warhols, The
Dark Tranquillity
Dave Brubeck
David Bowie
Deafheaven
Dear Hunter, The
Deep Purple
Destrage
Devin Townsend
Devin Townsend Project, The
Dire Straits
Dream Theater
dredg
East of the Wall
Eisley
Epysode
Eumeria
Euzen
Exist
Explosions in the Sky
Faceless, The
Fair to Midland
Faith no More
Fall of Troy, The
Fate's Warning
Firewind
Flaming Row
Flying Colors
Frameshift
Frost*
Gary Clark Jr.
Ghost
Girl Band
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Gojira
Golden Caves
Green Carnation
Haken
Have a Nice Life
Headspace
Hekz
Hirsch Effekt, The
Huntsmen
iamthemorning
Ice Age
Iced Earth
Ihsahn
In Flames
Iron Maiden
In Mourning
Inter Arma
James LaBrie
Jeff Buckley
Journey
Jolly
Justice
Kansas
Kanye West
Karnivool
Kayo Dot
Killswitch Engage
King Crimson
King Goat
Kino
Led Zeppelin
Leprous
Liquid Tension Experiment
Long Distance Calling
Love de Vice
Lykathea Aflame
Machine Head
Manic Street Preachers
Maplerun
Mars Volta, The
Mastodon
maudlin of the Well
Maybeshewill
Mechanical Poet
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Metallica
Miles Davis
Moan
Mr. Bungle
Muse
Myrath
Neal Morse
Nevermore
Nine Inch Nails
Nordic Giants
Obsidian Kingdom
Ocean, The
Oceans of Slumber
Opeth
Oranssi Pazuzu
Overhaul
Pain of Salvation
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Pendragon
Perihelion Ship
Pineapple Thief, The
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Protest the Hero
Psychotic Waltz
Queen
Queensrÿche
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Ramage Inc.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Redemption
Rendezvous Point
Riverside
Roger Waters
Royal Hunt
Rush
Sacrum
Savatage
Schizoid Lloyd
Semistereo
Sepultura
Serenity
Seventh Wonder
Shadow Gallery
Shadows Fall
Shining
Slash
Slayer
Sleep
Snow Patrol
Soen
Spock’s Beard
Steven Wilson
Storm Corrosion
Strawbs
Sublime
Sunn O)))
Swans
Symphony X
Talking Heads
Tesseract
Textures
Thank You Scientist
Thrice
tinyfish
To Mourn the Living
Toehider
Tool
Toxik
Transatlantic
Ulver
Voyager
Wilderun
Wishbone Ash
Wolverine
Yes
Zebrahead
Zero Hour
Ørkenkjott

---

2015 albums I have listened to:

Agent Fresco - Destrier
Arcturus - Arcturian
Armed Cloud - Obsidian Desert
Beardfish - +4626-Comfortzone
Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Caligula's Horse - Bloom
Deafheaven - New Bermuda
Earthside - A Dream in Static
Exovex - Radio Silence
Gary Clark Jr. - The Story of Sonny Boy Slim
Ghost - Meliora
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
Houndmouth - Little Neon Limelight
Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls
Kamelot - Haven
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Leprous - The Congregation
Muse - Drones
Napalm Death - Apex Predator: Easy Meat
Native Construct - Quiet World
Next to None - A Light in the Dark
Periphery - Juggernaut: Alpha
Periphery - Juggernaut: Omega
Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun
Riverside - Love, Fear, and the Time Machine
Shining - International Blackjazz Society
Spock's Beard - The Oblivion Particle
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot Erase.
Symphony X - Underworld
TesseracT - Polaris
The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise
The Neal Morse Band - The Grand Experiment
Thy Catafalque - Sgúrr
VOLA – Inmazes
Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth

---

2016 albums I have listened to:

Adeia - Serenity
Aisles - Club Hawaii
Anciients - Voice of the Void
Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage
Big Big Train - Folklore
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Boris - Pink
Circus Maximus - Havoc
Cult of Luna - Mariner
The Dear Hunter - Act V
David Bowie - Blackstar
Deftones - Gore
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
Dream Theater - The Astonishing
The Fall of Troy - OK
Frank Ocean - Blonde
Frost* - Falling Satellites
Ghost - Popestar EP
Gojira - Magma
The Grand East - Movano Camerata
Haken - Affinity
Headspace - All That You Fear Is Gone
iamthemorning - Lighthouse
Ihsahn - Arktis.
In Mourning - Afterglow
Inter Arma - The Paradise Gallows
Jeff Buckley - You And I
Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts
Kayo Dot - Plastic House on Base of Sky
King Goat - Conduit
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
Losers - How To Ruin Other People's Futures
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Metallica - Hardwired... To Self-Destruct
The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream
Obsidian Kingdom - A Year With no Summer
Oceans of Slumber - Winter
Opeth - Sorceress
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane Re:Mixed & Re:Lived
Periphery - Periphery III: Select Difficulty
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Riverside - Eye of the Soundscape
Sean Ashe - flux
Sia - This is Acting
Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the Gallows
Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the West
Steven Wilson - 4,5 (EP)
Swans - The Glowing Man
Textures - Phenotype
Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail
Thrice - To Be Everywhere is to be Nowhere
Thy Catafalque – Meta
Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP
Vektor - Terminal Redux

---

2017 albums I have listened to:

Anathema – The Optimist
Armed Cloud – Master Device & Slave Machines
Ayreon – The Source
Body Count – Bloodlust
Caligula’s Horse – In Contact
dvne - Asheran
Exist - So True, So Bound
Golden Caves – Collision
Hologram Earth – Black Cell Program
Leprous – Malina
Lesoir - Latitude
Mastodon – Emperor of Sand
Overhaul – Notes by an Unstable Muser
Pain of Salvation – In the Passing Light of Day
Perihelion Ship – To Paint a Bird of Fire
Persefone – Aathma
Pyramaze – Contingent
Radiohead – OKNOTOK 1997-2017
Semistereo – Trans Earth Injection
Sky Architect – Nomad
Soen – Lykaia
Steven Wilson – To The Bone
Ulver – The Assassination of Julius Caesar
Voyager – Ghost Mile
Zeal & Ardor – Devil is Fine

---

2018 albums I have listened to:

A Perfect Circle – Eat the Elephant
Hekz – Invicta
Huntsmen – American Scrap
Oceans of Slumber – The Banished Heart
Sleep – The Sciences

---

Banned during Roulette

Round 1:

The Flaming Lips
Kaddisfly
Orphaned Land
Cardiacs
Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
White Ward
Maximum the Hormone
Lonely Robot
Tribulation
Novallo

Round 2:
Rishloo
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Jamie Lenman
North Atlantic Oscillation
The Stooges
Pathosray
Thumpermonkey
The Claypool Lennon Delirium
Dave Kerzner
Zu

Round 3:
Obscure Sphinx
Shaolin Death Squad
Algiers
Closure in Moscow
Zebra
Eric Gillette
Rivers of Nihil
Shaolin Death Squad
Fjokra
The Silent Wedding
Sculptured

Round 4:
Dissona
Indukti
Ashes of Chaos
Ghost Brigade
Gorod
Cryptodira
Twelve Foot Ninja
Legend of the Seagullmen
Liam Gallagher
Mile Marker Zero

Round 5:
Destiny Potato
Black Peaks
Votum
Snarky Puppy
Hyperomm
Warpaint
Le Grand Guignol
Aenaon
Kiev

Round 6:
Papir
(The Reign of) Kindo
Enslaved
Artificial Language
Kamasi Washington
Progenie Terrestre Pura
Gentle Giant
Kaelling

Round 7:
Structural Disorder
Brand New
The Human Abstract
El Drugstore
We Came From Space
Kyros
YOB
Cosmo Sheldrake

Round 8:
Spectral Lore
Lör
Deathspell Omega
The World is Quiet Here
David Maxim Micic
The Black Queen
Spratley Japs
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:10:32 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:54:12 AM »
This roulette might be a little too ridiculous for me!

/in regardless, and nice band list, will read OP now

WHY have you listened to the Body Count album :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 04:57:16 AM »
I don't know; there's probably more weird stuff in there.
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:00:26 AM »
Having played in three roulettes in a row, I think I'll sit this one out. Interesting scoring/elimination method though, I'm curious to see how it'll work out.

Protip everyone: do not send Serious Black in this roulette.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:25:37 AM »
Protip everyone: do not send Serious Black in this roulette.

:lol seriously..
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:53:47 AM »
I’ll join if there’s room.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:09:44 AM »
I think I might have 8 bands or so you haven't listened to and you may like. I'm also super interested in seeing how this system works so sign me in
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »
TAC in this roulette

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:09:36 AM »
 :rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
Tbh I was literally thinking of an elimination system exactly like this just yesterday...  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:34 AM »
Tbh I was literally thinking of an elimination system exactly like this just yesterday...  :lol

Great. This is a try-out, we'll see whether it works or not!
Squ

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »
I have the perfect band for round 1 that will force you to add a new score of 13 just for me.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
Ready to get the cut  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
I have the perfect band for round 1 that will force you to add a new score of 13 just for me.  :corn

I’m not changing the rules, you’ll have to at least send three songs :corn
Squ

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:08:24 AM »
this sounds interesting...shame I missed the sign up sheet
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »
there's one slot left :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:43 AM »
I'll do it.  I can help TAC chaperone all these kids.  Plus Kiss isn't on the banned list.  :)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »
I'll do it.  I can help TAC chaperone all these kids.  Plus Kiss isn't on the banned list.  :)
I have no doubt Kiss will get you the highest amount of points possible in this roulette! :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
I was tempted to take that last slot but I'm already in 2 other roulettes and finishing my own... so godspeed Stadler. After hearing the tunes you've sent in mine, I hope you do well in this one  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
I think I like this format, very interesting :corn
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »
So is stads in? Are we starting with this madness already?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
I’ll take Stadler, since he also PM’ed me about wanting to join.

That meand the list is full. Everybody who’s in and confirmed that they’re still playing (the folks who signed up in the tracker thread), feel free to start sending your stuff so the first round can commence.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
Sent

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
i'll figure out some stuff to send but it probably won't be tonight

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
Very pleased to see (and participate in) a scoring system even more unnecessarily complicated than mine!

Will send tomorrow!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »
Very pleased to see (and participate in) a scoring system even more unnecessarily complicated than mine!

:lol

I have two entries already!
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Elite's Ridiculous Reverse Scoring Roulette - v4.0: Send Round 1!
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Sent Growls! :metal

The track is also on my Puppies EP.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:41:41 PM by TAC »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
I was about to send David Maxim Micic, but then I noticed Sacul sent him in your last roulette and you didn't like it....back to the drawing board... :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 01:13:56 AM »
Thanks for the info! I almost sent DMM but I guess I won't now

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
i didn't send DMM

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
Since I got asked this by PM, here's a response. I think this is pretty useful for all participants.

My stance of growls:

One of the bands I used to listen to a lot when I was 14-16 was The Fall of Troy. They don't growl, but they have screams occasionally. I remember being put off by 'real' growls initially, basically avoiding music that contained heavy guttural growls. I was into melodic death metal though, bands like In Flames, Children of Bodom, At the Gates etc. If you read my write-up for Opeth's Blackwater Park in my last top 50, you'll read that The Drapery Falls off that same album was the song that actually got me into growls. I remember turning it off the first time I heard the song, because I initially thought they ruined the song when the growls came in, yet I was intrigued somehow and slowly worked my way through their music. For a long time, I did not like music where growls were the only vocals, but nowadays I can stand them quite well.

I tend to be really picky about growl vocals though and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what I mean. I love Opeth's music now, but find the alternating growls and clean vocals to be a welcome change. When the only vocals in a song are monotonous growls all the time, I tend to lose interest. This is why, for example, traditional death metal doesn't interest me at all. Growls need to be their for a reason; for emphasis of certain parts or to complement a heavy section. If growls are all there is, it loses that 'extra punch' for me. Then again, I also like Meshuggah's music and all he does is basically rhythmically growl over Meshuggah's polyrhythms. The difference here, I think, is that the growls are so monotonous and complementary to the rhythmic music Meshuggah makes, that they almost aren't vocals anymore, but another instrument in the mix, rhythmically shouting out words, if that makes any sense.

I think I tend to enjoy high pitched growls (screams) more easily than low growls, but I've heard both being used that didn't do anything to me at all.  That said; most of the music I do enjoy contains growls / shouts / screams in certain doses. Over the pas week for example, I've listened to the following metal records and basically all of those do contain guttural vocals to some extent, though none are full-on growls:

Huntsmen - American Scrap
Oceans of Slumber - The Banished Heart
The Hirsch Effekt - Holon: Anamnesis
Sleep - The Sciences
Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth
Perihelion Ship - A Rare Thunderstorm in Spring
Obsidian Kingdom - Mantiis

---

Take the above information however you wish. To the participant concerned; if this post somehow makes you change your mind, you can re-send if you want.

I have four entries in. I will not start listening until I have everyone, but it would be good to be able to listen to your songs over the weekend, so please get your songs in if you haven't already!
Squ

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 07:01:09 AM »
Should you have any round one no-shows let me know.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »
Sent round 1!