16 (45.7%)
A Day at the Races
0 (0%)
News of the World
4 (11.4%)
Jazz
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Your favorite 70's Queen album?  (Read 867 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your favorite 70's Queen album?
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
Which one out of these 7?

Offline Mladen

Re: Your favorite 70's Queen album?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
Opera, although Sheer heart attack is also a great album. I like Races and Jazz quite a bit as well, both contain some of my absolute favorite Queen songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »
Queen II.  It's one of my top albums all time by any band.

"Funny how love is..."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
I have to agree with the gentleman above me.  :tup
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
Queen II, and as far as I'm concerned, the "70's" part is superflous to my answer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:06:08 PM »
I have a real soft spot for News of the World.  IMO, an underrated album.   But maybe I only feel that way because (again...this is all just IMO) Night at the Opera is obviously a classic, but the follow up was actually very meh.   There’s a couple of tracks from DatR that are pretty decent, but it was the weakest of the albums released to to that point by a long shot.   So to my ears, NotW is a huge comeback from a low point of the 70s.    And even though NatO is still a fantastic album (and has my #1 favorite Queen tune, The Prophet’s Song) it is a bit erratic on the whole.   NotW manages to be really diverse and yet everything blends together a lot better. 

News gets overlooked as an album far too often than it should.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:32 PM »
Queen II is my favorite album EVER by any band.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »
Queen II.  It's one of my top albums all time by any band.

"Funny how love is..."
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 01:05:18 AM »
I like most of them, some more than others and few where I like everything on an album, but I love Jazz. I see I’m on my own there 😀

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 02:07:54 AM »
I'm having a very hard time deciding between Queen II, NatO and Jazz.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 04:01:50 AM »
I like most of them, some more than others and few where I like everything on an album, but I love Jazz. I see I’m on my own there 😀

Not anymore.

I'm not the biggest Queen fan and I like their later output quite a bit and sometimes quite a bit more than their 70s output, but out of those choices Jazz takes the top spot for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:36 AM »
A Night At The Opera and Sheer Heart Attack are actually the only two Queen albums that I like start to finish and of those two the former is slightly better. The first half of News Of The World is great, the second half not so much.

It always surprises me how much love Queen II gets. To me it's their equivalent of Rush's Caress Of Steel - a necessary stepping stone but a bit of a miss overall.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 06:24:29 AM »

It always surprises me how much love Queen II gets. To me it's their equivalent of Rush's Caress Of Steel - a necessary stepping stone but a bit of a miss overall.

Queen II has two of the finest Queen songs: Ogre Battle and March of the Black Queen, 'nuff said. I consider these two songs better than all Queen hit singles, apart from Bohemian Rhapsody.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

Queen II has two of the finest Queen songs: Ogre Battle and March of the Black Queen, 'nuff said. I consider these two songs better than all Queen hit singles, apart from Bohemian Rhapsody.

And there's also White Queen and the other two songs of the "Ogre Battle trilogy".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »
A Night At The Opera and Sheer Heart Attack are actually the only two Queen albums that I like start to finish and of those two the former is slightly better. The first half of News Of The World is great, the second half not so much.

Miss???  It's BY FAR their most consistent record, and some of both Freddie and Brian's best playing.  As much as I love parts of NATO, it's too up and down for me.  Yeah, it's varied and eclectic, but in my view, a little TOO varied and eclectic.    I don't need AC/DC - 15 albums of the same song - but I would like some continuity, some thematic unity.    There's litereally NOTHING in common between "You're My Best Friend", "Seaside Rendezvous", "The Prophets Song", "Good Company" and "Bohemian  Rhapsody". 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
If you had asked me a few years ago, I would've instantly said ANATO, but in the last year or so, I *really* got into Queen II, and it quickly grew to become a favorite of mine. It's not often a band's second album becomes an instant favorite of mine (outside of obvious ones like DT's Images And Words, and Kansas' Song For America), but they really put a lot of great music on their sophomore effort.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
For me in News of the World, on the strength of Sheer Heart Attack, Spread Your Wings, Get Down Make Love and It's Late, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions are just an added bonus. Good solid album all the way through pretty much.