Author Topic: JLB gig at Progpower USA cancelled  (Read 5908 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: JLB gig at Progpower USA cancelled
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
Did PoS really cancel because of Bush? lol...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
I didn't realize they cancelled an existing tour, but at the least, they were "boycotting" the US.  And I believe that's the reason - as soon as he was gone, they came back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 08:37:41 PM »
I remember that because, at the time, Gildenlow was a member of the Flower Kings, until they decided to tour America, and he bailed because he refused to come here as long as Bush was the president.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
I think it was actually about finger print scanning. It didn't make a ton of sense either way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 01:12:19 AM »
Maybe it would be nice to hear "we're largely a studio band, we thought things would be different 8 months ago, but we've failed to secure other dates around this time that would make getting together, rehearsing, and flying across the pond for this show worth it."

While this is a perfectly acceptable explanation for those not personally involved, I believe more than a fan would take it personally, like "So, I'd like to see you but I don't make you enough money to come here, uh? you wanted to play but as soon as you realized you wouldn't earn enough from it you bailed?" (even though it should be acknowledged fact by now that touring is a business and that bands don't play for free)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »
James asked me to post this here.  It does not really give us any specific insight into what is going on, but at least clarifies that, as I said, this is NOT a "DT made me do it" situation.
Quote from: James LaBrie
It’s come to my attention that there’s been some backlash toward Dream Theater regarding my decision to pull out from my solo band’s appearance at ProgPower this year.  This is my decision to pull out and has absolutely no bearing on DT. If anyone has any issues, it should be with me and me alone. Any vented frustration should be directed towards me, not DT.  I thank you all for your continued support, and I look forward to bringing my solo band’s performance to you all when the time is right!  Best, James.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »
Well there you go, thanks for posting Bosk.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »
I can't understand this drama/dilemma about the announcement. It is cancelled. He won't be at Progpower. That's what matters. End of story.

Even if it was a "DT made me do it" story. So what? It is almost as if people are looking for an excuse to blame someone.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I for one am not looking to blame anyone. But I will say, what I've said about previous celebrities' "statements" in the past. Just because he's saying it, doesn't make it true. Not calling him a liar... but of course being a random person completely outside of the situation... don't know if its true or not.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
Why didn't JLB's band tour at some point last year or this year prior to DT recording?  Petrucci toured with G3, Rudess played some shows, Myung toured with The Jelly Jam.  You missed your window, JLB. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »
Why didn't JLB's band tour at some point last year or this year prior to DT recording?  Petrucci toured with G3, Rudess played some shows, Myung toured with The Jelly Jam.  You missed your window, JLB. 

Well, I think the original plan was to take all of 2018 off and if I remember correctly, James said he was going to do some solo band stuff then.  All of the sudden they get this new record deal and announce they're going into the studio in May.  While he may not have said it specifically, I think he did mention doing some shows in an interview or something a while back and I just assumed when Prog Power announced he was playing that it would be part of a bigger run.  When DT announced they were going into the studio only a few months after the end of the tour I believe my exact reaction was, "Fuck!"  I knew then and there the likelihood of James touring with his band was once again, slim to none.  It honestly makes me a bit mad at DT but for purely selfish and illogical reasons.  Obviously they need to put DT first and I bet all 5 members agree.  I bet the record company forced their hand.  At the same time I'm like, "Duuuuudes, c'mon.  It's not like anybody is asking for a 5 year break.  Just an additional 5 months."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »

Well, I think the original plan was to take all of 2018 off and if I remember correctly, James said he was going to do some solo band stuff then.  All of the sudden they get this new record deal and announce they're going into the studio in May.  While he may not have said it specifically, I think he did mention doing some shows in an interview or something a while back and I just assumed when Prog Power announced he was playing that it would be part of a bigger run.  When DT announced they were going into the studio only a few months after the end of the tour I believe my exact reaction was, "Fuck!"  I knew then and there the likelihood of James touring with his band was once again, slim to none.  It honestly makes me a bit mad at DT but for purely selfish and illogical reasons.  Obviously they need to put DT first and I bet all 5 members agree.  I bet the record company forced their hand.  At the same time I'm like, "Duuuuudes, c'mon.  It's not like anybody is asking for a 5 year break.  Just an additional 5 months."

I get where you are coming from.  But I can tell you both from James' announcement, which I posted above, and my conversation with JP yesterday afternoon that DT going into the studio has nothing to do with the cancellation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
For whatever the reasons are for cancelling a gig by any band, for JLB to not point fingers (whether any needed to be pointed), and put it on his shoulders (for whatever the reason), is admired by me as an unselfish act on his part.   
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2018, 12:26:10 AM »

I get where you are coming from.  But I can tell you both from James' announcement, which I posted above, and my conversation with JP yesterday afternoon that DT going into the studio has nothing to do with the cancellation.

Not trying to second guess you or goad you into giving more information than you are able but I was kind of assuming that while technically it may not have forced him to cancel it did tighten up the schedule more than he was comfortable with. 

Just hope its not anything more serious like a family emergency.  Regardless of whether it's serious or not, if James never does any solo shows ever again but still releases kickass albums, I'll take it.  Not ideal but better than nothing. 

Online Mladen

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 03:03:29 AM »
I can see the other guys toured this year, but if anyone needed rest after the last year's tour, it's James.  ;)

Also, it's May already! DT is going back in the studio this month!  :metal

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 07:37:32 AM »
[quote auth

[/quote]

:heart :heart :heart!!!!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
[quote auth

:heart :heart :heart!!!!!!
[/quote]

They first said May, then said June, but it's very soon anyway. Can't wait for some new DT music :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
For whatever the reasons are for cancelling a gig by any band, for JLB to not point fingers (whether any needed to be pointed), and put it on his shoulders (for whatever the reason), is admired by me as an unselfish act on his part.

^^ This.

It seems like no matter what the explanation may be, it won't be good enough for some. It is what it is.