Author Topic: JLB gig at Progpower USA cancelled  (Read 5910 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
JLB gig at Progpower USA cancelled
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/james-labrie-cancels-ppusa-performance.1276607/

Sucks for the people who were hoping to see him there, but I agree it's probably best to focus on DT in this case.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:36:09 PM by bosk1 »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

Re: JLB gig at Progpower USA cancelled to focus on new DT album writing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
We’ve been discussing this on the JLB thread :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »
but I agree it's probably best to focus on DT in this case.

Music by John Petrucci and Jordan Ruddess
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Honestly though, it'd be lame to cancel a show like this just to make sure you can write the lyrics to whatever ballad they throw his way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
I honestly don't believe this is the "reason" but who knows.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Let me guess..visa problems?

Lyrics by John Petrucci
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

Let me guess..visa problems?

Wouldn't they just say that then?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Lyrics by John Petrucci

Honestly though, it'd be lame to cancel a show like this just to make sure you can write the lyrics to whatever ballad they throw his way.

I suspect there's more at play, though on the other hand, I can't really be arsed. It's quite lame to cancel four(?) months in advance of a festival when you've committed yourself about a year ago. The fans, especially those who bought tickets to specifically see JLB deserve a better explanation than what was given.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Anxiety35

Would you rather it be cancelled now or a week prior?

Perhaps LaBrie planned on it not interfering with what DT was going to be doing but DT's schedule changed. The focus on writing new DT material explanation seems is legit to me.

We live in a world of demanding detailed explanations as to the why. I'm sure LaBrie has other factors that came into play, but the main one is writing the new DT album. That should be satisfactory.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I still don't understand how it's acceptable when other bands come from literally the other side of the planet for one show at this thing. I would at least like to get more details as to why this happened. If it's only because of the DT album, why can't the band let their singer of 25+ years off for a couple days to travel just a few states away and give a MUCH anticipated performance, one that arguably helped drive a number of ticket sales? Hell, weren't there a few times James used to record his vocals up in freaking Canada and not even be in the studio?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Perhaps LaBrie planned on it not interfering with what DT was going to be doing but DT's schedule changed. The focus on writing new DT material explanation seems is legit to me.

We live in a world of demanding detailed explanations as to the why. I'm sure LaBrie has other factors that came into play, but the main one is writing the new DT album. That should be satisfactory.

Honestly, it's not satisfactory.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »

Honestly, it's not satisfactory.

Why not? I'm not disagreeing or being critical, I'm curious.

I'm going to speculate as to a deeper reason why. They were scheduled for one evening at this 4 day event in Atlanta. Although it may seem easy to get everyone together to play one show it may not have worked out to get everyone together for enough rehearsals in order to make it a quality show - with the main reason being LaBrie's commitment to the new DT record. If I were going, I would want to see the guys in the band (especially Sfogli, Wildoer, Guillory) and not a different group of musicians.

Or, maybe JLB just changed his mind.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 02:55:24 PM »
Honestly, as far as rehearsing and prep goes, JLB might be the least important member of his own solo band.

The band itself could easily spend however long they need rehearsing and prepping, with JLB doing it on his own and then joining them 2 days or so before the show.

Keep in mind he did the whole Ayreon show on like 2 days rehearsal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 03:00:58 PM »
Honestly, as far as rehearsing and prep goes, JLB might be the least important member of his own solo band.

The band itself could easily spend however long they need rehearsing and prepping, with JLB doing it on his own and then joining them 2 days or so before the show.

Absolutely. The actual band rehearsing is what would take the most time, and it seems as if Matt would be the musical director in terms of making sure everything was tight anyway. James could easily show up for 2 days of rehearsal, do the gig and be back with DT in 4 days time. Weird situation.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »
In my opinion, it might be because JLB's involvement in writing the new album is the same as JP and JR. Honestly it will be interesting to hear what they'll come up with having ALL five of them in a room writing the new record..  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »
In my opinion, it might be because JLB's involvement in writing the new album is the same as JP and JR. Honestly it will be interesting to hear what they'll come up with having ALL five of them in a room writing the new record..  :metal

Now this I would like.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
We already have two threads discussing this... but yea, it totally sucks.  I am one who is going to PP and JLB is one of the main reasons.  I think he and DT wronged a lot of fans on this one.  I would like more explanation and hopefully it is because:

because historically, JLB doesn't need to be in the studio when they write music. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »

Doing his parts of T.H.E. is a little different than doing 14-18 songs of a 2 hour headline spot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 01:05:05 AM »

Doing his parts of T.H.E. is a little different than doing 14-18 songs of a 2 hour headline spot.

Well, but with Ayreon he was part of an ensemble cast, I assume he had to prepare some coordination with the other singers sharing the stage with him... ok, if everyone knows their parts, they can show up knowing exactly what to do, but I would believe there'd be some kind of meeting with the various singers before, if only to know where to move on stage and not bump into each other while acting a line or something.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:14 AM »
It is a stinker because of all the bands, JLB was the draw this year. Much like how MP was the draw last year with the Shattered Fortress 12 step suite. Promoters depend on a big name for the draw and now there isn't one at the moment. I wonder how much it will hurt ProgPower in the wallet and if there's any legal recourse? Perhaps there could have been something in the agreement/contract stating that if you back out before a certain time period then there's no violation. Of course we don't know.

I've always viewed JLB as a cool guy. I wouldn't think that he would pull out of an event because of spite or anything negative. Cool people can have bad management too. There are other potential factors that could be in play here beyond the stated DT album process and I assume that would be the case.

In sincerity, I hope it's nothing health related. JLB turns 55 this week. While that's not old, it's not young either.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I think JLB performances in NA are cancelled more often than they occur as scheduled?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
I think JLB performances in NA are cancelled more often than they occur as scheduled?

Sadly seems to be true

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
Depending on whoever they get to fill in, this could just be more bar time for me at PP. That could also mean I may enjoy said band more.  :hat

It also might give me more time to keep tabs on Fabio Lione's whereabouts  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
Who are the legitimate 'big names' of US-based Prog-metallers that might be available?  Symphony-X?  Adler led Fates Warning (can't remember if they're touring at this time somewhere)? Devy?  But, the latter two just played two years ago.

God help Glenn if he has to resort to Operation Mindcrime.  Or maybe a QR 'reunion'.  My, wouldn't that be interesting.  But it wouldn't quite work without CDG.  If he can't get a big enough name, does he bump Redemption up to the headline spot?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
Im guessing bumping Redemption is most likely and the spot is filled by a smaller band earlier in the day.  I think it'll be difficult to pull out a headline typical of what PP typically would have. 

I could see Kamelot being possible though.  PP alum and will be going back to tour a few days later in Europe.  No visa issues. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »
Mike Portnoy to the rescue.  Sons of Apollo at Progpower only makes sense!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »

I don't hate it.  Pretty good jab at DT/JLB, and wouldn't be surprised if MP approached PP for the opportunity to feast.  I don't love it just because I don't love SOA, but I am cool with it since it'll at least be a band I'll watch vs. one I have no interest in. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »

I don't hate it.  Pretty good jab at DT/JLB, and wouldn't be surprised if MP approached PP for the opportunity to feast.  I don't love it just because I don't love SOA, but I am cool with it since it'll at least be a band I'll watch vs. one I have no interest in.

It is funny that I had a feeling it'd be SOA. Since they're touring and already know the songs. But...ugh, it just refueled the DT vs. MP drama.

People will say JLB doesn't care about playing live for hia fans. Promoters likely won't book JLB in the future. We may never get to hear JLB live at all.

I wonder if Glenn feels how Arjen felt when Russell Allen dropped from the Ayreon Universe shows?

Honestly I'd rather have a different band headline, besides SOA but if that's all he could get and it feels Glenn knows about the drama and what else will get people to go. Bring in the band of the guy whom left the headliners main band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
JLB obviously brings in DT fans and MP does as well, so it's a pretty solid replacement when you think about it.  I think we all could dream about what band we personally want to see, but this makes a lot of sense and also is a good pick up so late in the game.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
JLB obviously brings in DT fans and MP does as well, so it's a pretty solid replacement when you think about it.  I think we all could dream about what band we personally want to see, but this makes a lot of sense and also is a good pick up so late in the game.

Indeed, probably there's a bit of a "In your face James" reason for that, but really, out of all the options available (and I assume that means USA bands because of VISA reasons), why not replace a DT member with an ex DT member? at least the fanbase is roughly the same. If at all, on the other hand, it's Mike who has more crossover appeal, I can't believe someone actively follows James' solo carrer but doesn't care for DT. There might be however more Portnoy fans who don't follow him solely or mainly for DT (there must be many prog fans out there brought in by Neal Morse who consider DT too heavy for example, isn't it?)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
Yeah i know thats likely the logic behind the choice. And MP wouldn't miss this opportunity to promote SOA, and get a decent size crowd at that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: JLB gig at Progpower USA cancelled
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 06:36:50 PM »
I edited the title of the thread.  After talking directly with the DT camp, I can tell you that we are in fact drawing the WRONG conclusion from that announcement.  Any assumption that DT made James cancel is not accurate.  A more official clarifying announcement should be coming soon.  But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »
I edited the title of the thread.  After talking directly with the DT camp, I can tell you that we are in fact drawing the WRONG conclusion from that announcement.  Any assumption that DT made James cancel is not accurate.  A more official clarifying announcement should be coming soon.  But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.

Good to know! Thanks for the clarification, Bosk. I just hope this doesn’t hurt James’ image too much :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 05:59:12 AM »
I hope this means he can be in the studio and they can write as a full band. It would also be nice to have 2 or 3 Labrie lyrics to proper full length songs - how long has that been?? One <4min song in the last 11 years?

Looking forward to this release either way. I have a feeling it's gonna be a good one!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
I hope this means he can be in the studio and they can write as a full band. It would also be nice to have 2 or 3 Labrie lyrics to proper full length songs - how long has that been?? One <4min song in the last 11 years?

This x1000

Offline Skeever

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »
Speaking personally, I wish some of these acts would just be honest, and say "sorry guys, the numbers aren't there".
Last time around it was "visa" issues. Before with Pain of Salvation it was "we hate Bush and are protesting."

Maybe it would be nice to hear "we're largely a studio band, we thought things would be different 8 months ago, but we've failed to secure other dates around this time that would make getting together, rehearsing, and flying across the pond for this show worth it."