Author Topic: Are pop-punk and emo music that is aimed only at kids and not adults?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline WildRanger

What do you think?
Do/did Blink 182 have an adult fanbase or their music appeals only to kids?

Offline DTA

Re: Are pop-punk and emo music that is aimed only at kids and not adults?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
I used to listen to a fair amount of pop-punk when I was younger and still listen to a few of those bands (I'm 32). I'm a big fan of catchy, upbeat music, and though the lyrics are essentially middle/high-school level shit, I don't really pay too much attention to them.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
I think there can be some songs that bands like Blink 182 had that can appeal to adults that yearns for their youth back.

They have some serious songs like "Stay Together for the Kids" and "Adam's Song."  Those kinds of songs that teenagers that may be dealing with certain issues of life can really relate to and there is an audience for those kind of demographics.  Nothing wrong with that.

Sure, songs like All The Small Things and What's My Age Again probably does not age well if you were a teenager listening to that in the early 2000s and probably wouldn't want to hear that into your 30s.  The Rock Show though is just a pretty darn good upbeat single of a song.  It's just has an infectious chorus that you can't stop hearing in your head.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
I have never heard a single Blink 182 song, wouldn't know the first thing about them. And I'm an adult.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
I have never heard a single Blink 182 song, wouldn't know the first thing about them. And I'm an adult.

Dude, you were probably like late 30s/early 40s, when they become popular around early 2000s.  I'm in my 20s now, but when I was younger, my sister had TRL on MTV on the TV and they keep playing Blink 182 around that period (I know you probably don't know what TRL is as well).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »

Dude, you were probably like early 30s/late 40s, when they become popular around early 2000s.  I'm in my 20s now, but when I was younger, my sister had TRL on MTV on the TV and they keep playing Blink 182 (I know you probably don't know what TRL is as well).

That's quite a gap! :lol

I know what TRL on MTV is. Total Request Live.  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
As someone who only got into brand new and cursive and the like after 20,

no

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
By aimed to do you mean marketed? Because I don't think a band chooses their audience, they just want one.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
By aimed to do you mean marketed? Because I don't think a band chooses their audience, they just want one.

Well, the lyrics could gear them more towards younger people so marketed isn't the right word but the band can kind of choose their audience by what they play.

But I would somewhat agree that the genre of music in general isn't aimed at kids, but kids relate more to it I think.

I don't think it's just pop punk or emo, I think the entire genre of punk is more accessible to kids than adults.  It's not just the music, but a lifestyle, about being apart of something.  Adults might not really feel that connect IMO.  Not that they can't but I think once older you don't feel the need to connect on that level that punk offers.  As a kid, especially as a kid who doesn't go with the norm, punk feels just right.  I know it did for me.  I felt totally out of place as a kid, I didn't enjoy the music that was popular, but with punk and ska, I felt like I belonged.  The lyrics related and the rage and anger of life around me was released through the fast paced energetic music. 

I still go to punk/ska shows every once in awhile.  I'm definitely on the older side of the crowd, but then again, there's usually lots of older people like myself who go to these shows because they were fans as teens.

I'm guessing this thread stems from the 80s hair metal one where punk came up, but I went to a warped tour a couple years ago and can't recall being surrounded by so many kids since I was in high school  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
I think Simple Plan wrote primarily for children, yes.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »
I can still happily listen to pop punk and I'm about to turn 35! It was one of my early musical loves and a ska/pop punk show is still a blast and so much fun. Sometimes you just need a fun show, without any pretentiousness.

I mean I'm not saying the majority of what I listen to now is pretentious but I'd like to see more bands just have fun and not take themselves too seriously. There's a lot to be said for just having fun and not giving a shit about your age and what you 'should be doing/listening to'

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »
I think all mainstream music is written for young people, hence the lyrics dealing with stupid, childish, adolescent stuff, bitches, money, badass mothafuckas, sex, the ever-repeating love themes and any trivial, mundane shit, take your pick. I mean.. I don't think the artists themselves have enough intelligence or intelect to write something clever. It is automatically directed to the younger audiences, even if not intended.

The second you step out of all that, you get more sophisticated, more complex music. Well, even pop or rap or hip-hop can be very well written, with good, intelligent, fresh lyrics. Any genre can. The problem is that the money lies on the other side of the fence.

Same thing with movies... people prefer 923847029384723980 super-hero movies a year with plots so childish, simplistic and full of explosions, special effects, and what-have-you rather than a movie that actually adds something to your life or makes you think or innovates or is a critic on society or the way we live. I mean, in this instant reward, instant gratification generation, who has an ever-decreasing attention spam and can't follow anything other than very linear, predictable storylines over and over and over again every year, what can one expect? But yeah, this is what makes money.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:39:26 PM by ChuckSteak »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
The following statement is true.

The previous statement was false.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ruba

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »
Well, I don't think pop punk/emo is wrote for kids per se. But mostly, I think the artists have been in their mid-20s writing their best known songs, so I find it very plausible for to teenagers to be able at least somewhat to emphatise the songs. I find Blink-182 pretty juvenile, I don't know if they have more mature songs on their albums.

I loved My Chemical Romance when I was 11/12. I still think Welcome to the Black Parade is one of the best songs ever.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »
For starters, I'd hardly say that these genres are aimed at or marketed for "kids". When you say "kids", what immediately springs to mind is the 6-12 age group. This music is primarily marketed towards teens and young adults, more in the 13-17 and 18-25 age groups, which is considerably different. I"m going to gout on a limb here and say that an 8 year old and a 20 year old probably want different things in life.

That said, while these genres are aimed at youth, I think their lyrics and music is something that can cross over and have some appeal with adult audiences. The lyrics typically focus on more universal things that adults still experience like relationships, break-ups, realizing that growing up wasn't all its cracked up to be, being angry with the current state of affairs in politics and world events, worrying about death, depression, wanting to feel important and like your existence meant something, etc. And, y'know, there's all the lyrics about going out and having a good time. I know a lot of adults who can grasp on to that.

The music is no 9th Symphony, sure, but there's nothing wrong with simple music. Sometimes the story you want to tell with your music requires you to modulate eight times and use a bunch of mode mixture, sometimes it just requires three chords. Either approach is fine, as long as it fits the music. Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan use three chord songs all the times, and I would hardly call their music "childish" or "for kids". I don't think their music would strike the same chord if it went straight for that crazy jazz fusion reharm. It would not be appropriate for the kind of message that they're trying to convey and what they want their songs to focus on. Pop-punk is focused a lot of times on building energy and drive, and emo is usually focused on conveying a message along the lines of "life sucks, go do something about it". That's overly simplistic, but you get the idea. The music fits what they're trying to do, and while it's not for everyone, it's not "childish" or "wrong". Intent matters.

I think all mainstream music is written for young people, hence the lyrics dealing with stupid, childish, adolescent stuff, bitches, money, badass mothafuckas, sex, the ever-repeating love themes and any trivial, mundane shit, take your pick. I mean.. I don't think the artists themselves have enough intelligence or intelect to write something clever. It is automatically directed to the younger audiences, even if not intended.

The second you step out of all that, you get more sophisticated, more complex music. Well, even pop or rap or hip-hop can be very well written, with good, intelligent, fresh lyrics. Any genre can. The problem is that the money lies on the other side of the fence.

Same thing with movies... people prefer 923847029384723980 super-hero movies a year with plots so childish, simplistic and full of explosions, special effects, and what-have-you rather than a movie that actually adds something to your life or makes you think or innovates or is a critic on society or the way we live. I mean, in this instant reward, instant gratification generation, who has an ever-decreasing attention spam and can't follow anything other than very linear, predictable storylines over and over and over again every year, what can one expect? But yeah, this is what makes money.

Well. There's a lot to unpack here that's just wrong.

First, it's spelled "intellect". If you're going to insult someone else's intelligence, I would recommend actually spelling words correctly.

Second, a lot of that "stupid, childish, adolescent stuff" you're complaining about is either a) based on universal things almost everyone deals with in their life (i.e. love, money, sex, etc.), or b) not as common as you think. Sure, songs that glorify hedonism and are about how cool the artist is pop up often, but that's not as common as you think. And that's not limited to popular music by any means. Have you actually READ some of the lyrics to metal songs? Tell me lines like "faster than a laser bullet" (Judas Priest - Painkiller) and "rape the limbless cadaver" (Cannibal Corpse - Rancid Amputation) and "Let me introduce my brother, a bearded gentleman, historian!" (Dream Theater - The Count of Tuscany) are prime-examples of "intelligent" lyrics. Or the entirety of the American songbook, or opera lyrics, or musical theater lyrics, or prog lyrics, or rock'n'roll lyrics, or singer-songwriter lyrics. You pick a genre, you can find loads of example of bad, cliche writing in them. That's not limited to popular music or rap by any means.

And if we're throwing out universal topics like love, sex, and money...whoops! There went half the canon of establish poetic and literary masterpieces.

Third, pop musicians are very capable of writing deep and intelligent lyrics. Kesha's Prayer is about dealing with being raped by someone with a lot of political and social power, Drake sings about how he screws up a LOT, there are so many mainstream rap songs about the difficulties of growing up poor and black or the horrors of gang culture in black communities that they're almost cliches. I could go ON and ON about this. And about them not being intelligent? Kesha snuck in to university classes because she wanted to learn, Ozzy Osbourne got high/drunk and bit the head off a bat. Taylor Swift is an incredibly savvy businesswoman who owns her own label; Mozart got drunk a lot, squandered money, and wrote a song about wanting to lick someone's butt. Should I go on?

Fourth, the number of classical masterpieces written off of children's stories or for children is...staggering, to say the least. Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, the romantic era's entire fascination with folklore, Saint-Saen's Carnival of the Animals, Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, etc. Just because it's intended for young people, doesn't mean that it's bad or intelligent.

Well, no, you don't. Mozart wrote a LOT of pieces that are mostly just V - I, there's an entire movement of classical music that focuses on Minimalism. That music is hardly what one would call "complex". Have you SEEN any of the Late Romantic/Modernist operas? Elektra has a scene where a woman pleasures herself with the decapitated head of John the Baptist, mainly for shock value. There's hardly a drop of sophistication in that. Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique is about him tripping out on opium and fantasizing about killing a woman that he had been obsessively in love with in real life (they got married btw, and were totally miserable). I mean, a lot of operas kill off characters or have unnecessary trauma in them because it creates soap opera-like drama. And opera has been around for centuries and can make a killing (especially in its hay-day). And Jazz lyrics (yes those exist) are literally the same as pop lyrics. Literally. The same.

Also, sophistication and complexity is BY NO MEANS a guarantee of quality, and neither is popularity. I remember a video Adam Neely did about his cover of Zedd's Clarity, and he demonstrates that reharmonizing it entirely with those complex polychords that everyone freaked out about made it sound awful. There was a TED talk about the world's ugliest piece of music, and it was remarkably similar to the total serialization procedures of Stockhausen and Messiaen. Meanwhile, some of the best music ever written is almost astonishingly simple. There are a number of pieces in the Late Romantic period that can mainly be broken down to "well what's the smoothest way we can connect these two notes?" and Classical period music was all about simplicity and musical "cleanliness". Jazz was originally dance music! And yet the music of Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Bach, Duke Ellington, et al has impacted thousands if not MILLIONS of people across decades and centuries.

Same thing with movies... people prefer 923847029384723980 super-hero movies a year with plots so childish, simplistic and full of explosions, special effects, and what-have-you rather than a movie that actually adds something to your life or makes you think or innovates or is a critic on society or the way we live.

Yeah, superhero movies never say anything deep. I guess that's why Black Panther isn't about presenting the conflict for the black diaspora of identifying oneself with one's race or nationality and the conflict of whether to be isolationist or to give aid to other when your country has surplus. Or The Dark Knight isn't about conflicts of order and chaos and how it is sometimes better to tell a noble lie than to tell a truth that could have damaging ramifications throughout society. Or The Incredibles isn't about the conflict of whether to be individualistic vs homogenizing society (after all, "if everyone is super, than no one will be"). Or...do you want me to keep going or is that good enough?

I mean, in this instant reward, instant gratification generation, who has an ever-decreasing attention spam and can't follow anything other than very linear, predictable storylines over and over and over again every year, what can one expect? But yeah, this is what makes money.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Infinity War have you? It subverted every possible expectation anyone could have about what the movie was going to be, through EVERYONE for a loop, and was almost 3 hours long. That's not even counting all the people who rewatched all 18 movies leading into it. And don't even get me started on The Lord of the Rings, which can take a day or two to watch all the way through (especially the extended edition) and those are based on classic novels and are some of the most popular movies of all time. Or how Pulp Fiction is still one of the most popular movies ever, even with its non-linear narrative. Or how Bird-man was popular despite its story being almost painfully esoteric?

Basically, if you're going to try to be the gatekeeper of "high, intelligent culture" you should know that there is no such thing. As Duke Ellington famously probably said: "There are simply only two kinds of music: good music, and the other kind." It doesn't matter what genre it is, how "sophisticated" it is, how complex or simple it is, who it was written for, or how popular it is. Good music is simply good music.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
Harsh noise is the only real music for mature cult adults :2metal:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
Ninjabait, will you marry me?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Harsh noise is the only real music for mature cult adults :2metal:

Pfft your music has noise? Try listening to silence you pleb

Ninjabait, will you marry me?

No