Author Topic: Unfettered Rudess?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Skeever

Unfettered Rudess?
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
I've been listening to LTE albums a bit and it feels like the band really still have not yet tapped the potential of Rudess joining the band. The music on LTE and LTE2 still surpasses much of the instrumental stuff we've heard from the band since Rudess came on, but shortly after he joined it feels like the direction of the band became much more conventional (i.e., traditionally structured yet very long songs with long solo sections). I wonder why they never just went totally off the deep end with Rudess in the lineup.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Unfettered Rudess?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
I think if they were to let Jordan go hog wild Dream Theater would start sounding like a hybrid of DT and JR's solo prog albums. I like Rhythm of Time, but I don't want my DT sounding like it's blended with Insectsamongus.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
They probably wanted to have fans

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
They have to structure songs to accompany the vocals in DT, otherwise they would be more of a modern Dixie Dreggs type of band..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
They probably wanted to have fans

I personally would find more music like LTE (or even JR's Levin Minneman Rudess record) more interesting than some of the more "standard" hard rock we heard on DT12 (I still can't properly process the Astonishing). But yeah, could be right, maybe going the more esoteric route wasn't gonna do them any favors.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
I thought SDOIT had some cool instrumental sections.
After that album I do see what you mean overall though there are exceptions. I love LTE and Jordan's solo albums, but I figure it all comes down to the type of sound and style the band wants to have. LTE was a different type of band anyway.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
The music on LTE and LTE2 still surpasses much of the instrumental stuff we've heard from the band since Rudess came on

By saying "much," that necessarily implies that you believe LTE's music has not surpassed at least some "of the instrumental stuff we've heard from the band since Rudess came on."  I'm therefore curious to know where you're drawing the line.

shortly after he joined it feels like the direction of the band became much more conventional (i.e., traditionally structured yet very long songs with long solo sections).

Considering the last album they put out before JR joined was probably far and away the most "conventional" album in the band's catalog, and the first two albums after he joined were a 77 minute long concept album featuring a 6 minute instrumental featuring well over 100 time signature changes and a 2 disc album featuring a 42 minute multi-part title track, I'm at a loss to understand how one could think this.

I wonder why they never just went totally off the deep end with Rudess in the lineup.

If Dance of Eternity doesn't constitute going "totally off the deep end," I'm not sure what would.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
I didn't want DT to sound like LTE when Rudess joined. I'm glad they didn't. Still don't.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »
What I would hope is they utilize more of JR's orchestral compositional skills

Metropolis Pt.3

And she listens openly

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

Like they did on SFAM, 6DOIT, 8VA, BC&SL, DT12 and TA (i.e., every album since he jointed the band save for ToT, SC and ADToE)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »

Like they did on SFAM, 6DOIT, 8VA, BC&SL, DT12 and TA (i.e., every album since he jointed the band save for ToT, SC and ADToE)?

I'd say all of them, honestly.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."