Poll

80's hair metal or 90's grunge?

80's hair metal
40 (59.7%)
90's grunge
27 (40.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 80's hair metal or 90's grunge?  (Read 5638 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 80's hair metal or 90's grunge?
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2018, 05:52:03 AM »
AY!  OH!  LET'S GO!

I'll say this.. That's definitely better than

OONTA GLEEBIN GLOWTIN GLOBIN.

I mean WTF? :loser:

:lol  Though, I will gladly take that over "Do you wanna get ROCKED???"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
EDIT: Also to be less trollish, hair metal is nearly irrelevant nowadays, whereas punk had a way more far-reaching influence.

I take it you heard 16,000 people singing Livin on a Prayer from the TD Garden last night?

I think that 80's hit song appeals much more to pop fans than rock fans.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »
*raises hand*  Rock and metal fan here, and I think that song is great.  Don't be such a music snob.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
To be such a huge hit, it has to cross over to pop fans.  But to dismiss the rock fan's love for that song is just wrong.  I just saw Bon Jovi a few weeks ago and had an absolute blast.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
*raises hand*  Rock and metal fan here, and I think that song is great.  Don't be such a music snob.

Ditto.  LoaP is the only Bon Jovi song I will actively go out of my way to listen to.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »
STOP AGREEING WITH ME!  YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »
STOP AGREEING WITH ME!  YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME!

To love you is to know you....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
EDIT: Also to be less trollish, hair metal is nearly irrelevant nowadays, whereas punk had a way more far-reaching influence.

I take it you heard 16,000 people singing Livin on a Prayer from the TD Garden last night?

I think that 80's hit song appeals much more to pop fans than rock fans.

You're kinda proving my point.  Regardless of who it appeals to, it's still "hair metal", and far from irrelevant.

Now, if LieLow is saying that CURRENT hair metal is irrelevant, I got no argument.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »
For sure, but I would bet that hair metal bands touring nowadays draw way more than punk bands.  Bon Jovi and Def Leppard still do well, and Guns N' Roses's recent reunion tour was a monster.  And don't tell me Def Leppard and G N' R weren't hair metal in the later 80's (look at their hair in those videos :lol).

Elements of punk definitely influenced certain subgenres of rock, but when talking about strict punk itself, the original bands didn't make the impact outside of the UK that some (see: braindead critics) think they did, which was my point prior.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
Steel Panther baby!!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »

Ahhh, yes.  The one band that can show that glam metal music can survive in the 21st century and they sure go all the way with the aesthetics.  So, what's the punk equivalence of Steel Panther then?  Can there be an actual answer?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
 I haven’t been keeping up on the punk seen lately so I don’t know who modern-day equivalent would be. But I do know that bands like Green Day, The Offspring, NOFX, Bad Religion and others still draw bigger crowds than the bands we listen to.

Isn’t the Vans Warped festival tour totally revolves around the punk scene? I wish we had a prog festival that toured the whole country.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
I haven’t been keeping up on the punk seen lately so I don’t know who modern-day equivalent would be. But I do know that bands like Green Day, The Offspring, NOFX, Bad Religion and others still draw bigger crowds than the bands we listen to.

Isn’t the Vans Warped festival tour totally revolves around the punk scene? I wish we had a prog festival that toured the whole country.

Vans Warped Tour is entering it's final year this year, but yeah, I think that was accurate where bands like The Offspring, Blink 182, Green Day, Rise Against, etc. made their marks at the Warped Tour.  Even A7X took part in it before they become modern superstars in our rock world.  Those types of bands are doing well today and I think they were able to connect and captivate well to a younger audience than a potential prog rock equivalence of a Vans Warped tour like festival.  It's really sad for me to say it, but I think it is the case.   :tdwn

Speaking of the Warped Tour, this list is huge and chock full of well-known bands in today's generations.  Even Katy Perry made did a year of the Warped Tour before she became a well-known pop star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warped_Tour_lineups_by_year

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »
Just curious how some of the grunge haters feel about punk...

Grunge and punk are completely different types of music to my ears (though there are some similarities) but on a social level they were extremely similar. They were both emotional backlashes by non-musicians in answer to an overindulgent trend that preceded it.
I like grunge quite a bit and I, unsurprisingly, think punk is pretty great.

I also think it's unfair to say that punk and grunge musicians couldn't play their instruments. Sure the Sex Pistols were legitimately terrible musicians and Kurt Cobain wasn't exactly a virtuoso, but Jerry Cantrell, Matt Cameron, Mike McCready, and Stone Gossard? Those guys can play. As for the punks, just listen to The Clash or the Dead Kennedys. Are they the best musicians ever? Nope, but they could certainly play on a similar level to many current indie rock bands, if not better.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2018, 10:21:19 PM »
People had the idea that a guy like Chris Cornell can't play his instrument?  The dude wasn't just a great vocalist that has some great range in his screams.  This was a guy that played like 2.5 hour solo acoustic sets from all kinds of stuff from Soundgarden to Audioslave to Temple of the Dog to his solo stuff to covers from Beatles, Zeppelin, Prince, the mashup with U2's One melody and Metallica's One lyrics, etc.

I like to see a guy that cannot play his instrument do the things Cornell did.  Man, I miss Chris Cornell.  I'm sure we all do.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:26:41 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2018, 10:36:34 PM »
People had the idea that a guy like Chris Cornell can't play his instrument?  The dude wasn't just a great vocalist that has some great range in his screams.  This was a guy that played like 2.5 hour solo acoustic sets from all kinds of stuff from Soundgarden to Audioslave to Temple of the Dog to his solo stuff to covers from Beatles, Zeppelin, Prince, the mashup with U2's One melody and Metallica's One lyrics, etc.

I like to see a guy that cannot play his instrument do the things Cornell did.  Man, I miss Chris Cornell.  I'm sure we all do.
This post is dead on.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »

Oh, I agree, but even in this thread, you can see grunge getting dismissed as a genre for simplistic or not-quite-proficient musicians, which is just not true at all.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »
Grunge for me.

Oh, I agree, but even in this thread, you can see grunge getting dismissed as a genre for simplistic or not-quite-proficient musicians, which is just not true at all.

Agreed. Jerry Cantrell or Chris Cornell, put a lot of the so called guitar gods of the 80's to shame

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2018, 03:16:25 AM »

I'm not a music snob. But to me Livin' on a Prayer is just a lame cheese aimed at teenyboppers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2018, 04:21:50 AM »

I'm not a music snob. But to me Livin' on a Prayer is just a lame cheese aimed at teenyboppers.

You're such a man's man then.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:37 AM »

Curious, how old were you in 1986 when it was released?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2018, 04:41:51 AM »
Nothing wrong with Living On A Prayer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
Grunge for me.

Agreed. Jerry Cantrell or Chris Cornell, put a lot of the so called guitar gods of the 80's to shame

Mike McCready is right up there too.

I swear to God most of the grunge being limited musicians opinions are purely based on Cobain as a Guitarist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »

Vans Warped Tour is entering it's final year this year, but yeah, I think that was accurate where bands like The Offspring, Blink 182, Green Day, Rise Against, etc. made their marks at the Warped Tour.  Even A7X took part in it before they become modern superstars in our rock world.  Those types of bands are doing well today and I think they were able to connect and captivate well to a younger audience than a potential prog rock equivalence of a Vans Warped tour like festival.  It's really sad for me to say it, but I think it is the case.   :tdwn

Speaking of the Warped Tour, this list is huge and chock full of well-known bands in today's generations.  Even Katy Perry made did a year of the Warped Tour before she became a well-known pop star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warped_Tour_lineups_by_year

I went to the 99, 00, and 02 warped tours as a kid.  I also went again in 16.  Boy did it change a lot.  Sad to see it go, but it seemed to be holding onto those same constant bands from 15 years ago and not having more big names come through and move onto bigger and better things.  This years final line up is very lackluster IMO.

But that 99 warped tour was AMAZING.  Black Eyed Peas, Blink 182, Eminen (he wasn't at the one I went to), Dropkick Murphys, Less Than Jake...  I've got great memories of that year and my first concert festival attendance.  Then the next year with Green Day No Doubt, Weezer..

Offline Ruba

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
I'll take Britpop ahead of both choices. Suede, Manics, Radiohead and Blur, yes please. :)

But out of those the choices, grunge. I like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots. Hair metal... even the genre name says to me that it's more about looks and nailing groupies than music  :biggrin:.

OK that's bit rich coming from Type O Negative fan  :lol.

:metal but they're an affectionate parody.

you make it seem like no music is good from the 90's.   That is incorrect.

TAC had Stomp 442 in his top 50 albums, right? :metal :lol

And I'll love him for that. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:35:20 PM by Ruba »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »
TAC had Stomp 442 in his top 50 albums, right? :metal :lol

And I'll love him for that. :biggrin:

:metal :metal :metal

I had the following 90's albums in The TAC Top 50.

44. Anthrax- Stomp 442 (1995)
41. Hammerfall- Legacy Of Kings (1998)
39. Armored Saint- Symbol Of Salvation (1991)
38. Flotsam & Jetsam-When The Storm Comes Down (1990)
8. Dream Theater- Scenes From A Memory (1999)
1. Dream Theater- Images And Words (1992)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
I need to check out that Armored Saint album! I've listened to the first three tracks of it so far.

And to be fair, I prefer Sound of White Noise... But yeah, I wasn't born when it was released so I don't know if my opinion is valid  :lol. But still, while Stomp 442 gets too much flak, it's a great album.

John Bush fucking rocks! :metal
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:03:50 PM by Ruba »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
Can I still direct your attention to Britpop or should I start a different topic? Once I thought I was a 90s teenager British girl living in the new 10s since I kept pondering whether Brett Anderson or Damon Albarn was hotter.

spoiler alert: it is Brett. Especially after I learned that Charmless Man was a diss track. Fucking cheap shot since you were dating Justine anyway, Brett  :censored.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »
I need to check out that Armored Saint album! I've listened to the first three tracks of it so far.

And to be fair, I still prefer Sound of the White Noise... But yeah, I wasn't born when it was released so I don't know if my opinion is valid  :lol. But still, while Stomp 442 gets too much flak, it's a great album.

John Bush fucking rocks! :metal

Of course your opinion is valid!

I'll say this...Sound Of White Noise has aged wonderfully. I distinctly remember being disappointed with it. I'm not sure why, as it's an awesome album.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2018, 07:15:46 PM »
Both eras had good and bad. Hair metal did have bands that were style over substance such as Poison, Warrant etc. There were also bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Guns N’ Roses who may have had the big hair but they had the songs and talent to back it up and transcended that genre to just become classic rock bands. The Seattle scene similarly produced some rubbish but again bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Nirvana have lasted beyond that movement and are now considered classic rock bands.

I picked 80’s as there are more bands of that era that I like and I’d sooner listen to some of the lesser 80’s bands like Europe than I would the lesser grunge bands.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2018, 07:17:42 PM »
Sound of White Noise is my #1 Anthrax album....and I grew up with their “glory days”.

Vol 8 is underrated.

Couldn’t get into Stomp 442
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2018, 07:24:20 PM »
Couldn’t get into Stomp 442

What a shock! :lol

Vol 8 is underrated.

I don't not like it, but it's kind of all over the place. That said, Catharsis might be my favorite Bush Era track.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
Catharsis might be my favorite Bush Era track.

I agree! :metal And currently I'm having Big Fat playing on the background and I love it.

Vol 8 (haven't heard it in full tbf) and We've Come for You All are pretty much hit and miss for me.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
Quick Bush-era Anthrax top 5:

American Pompeii
Room for One More
Potter's Field
Catharsis
Think About an End

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
Ruba, I am so with you on American Pompeii.

"I break myself just to live this way, Never as old as I was today"  :metal

I go:

American Pompeii
Catharsis
Fueled
Hy Pro Glow
In A Zone

They also had some great covers..
The Cowboy Song
Remember Tomorrow
Watchin' You
Phantom Lord