Poll

80's hair metal or 90's grunge?

80's hair metal
40 (59.7%)
90's grunge
27 (40.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 80's hair metal or 90's grunge?  (Read 5636 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80's hair metal or 90's grunge?
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
Hammerfall!! :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »
Which actually leads me to a small revelation...   is the 10s the first decade with no musical trend to define it?

If you're solely looking at rock / metal, I'd agree. I'd attest that to rock having pretty much dropped off the face of mainstream music at this point. Hell, outside of maybe djent (which most people don't even consider to be a real subgenre) I can't really think of any big "trends" in rock / metal from this decade. Do high school kids even listen to metalcore anymore?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:37 PM »
Everyone- "TAC, do you like sushi"?

TAC- "What's sushi"?

fix'd
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 11:44:59 PM »
Well, I never cared about 80's hair metal since I was not born in the 80s, have no interest really digging into that era of music, and quite frankly, the aura those bands give, I'm like, "nope not for me."  I went with 90s grunge, especially since bands I like were influenced by those 90s bands.  I like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains has some great songs.  Didn't care much for Nirvana or Pearl Jam, but I can tolerate those guys when I hear one of their songs on the radio as oppose to Motley Crue, Skid Row, etc.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 01:02:01 AM »
Grunge all the way.

Some of the bands I like (Queensryche, Scorpions, Ozzy) sometimes flirted with a glam aesthetic musically or visually, but I've never been into any actual hair metal stuff like Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Poison etc., because to me it's all style over substance. Grunge bands had deeper lyrics, and it's not like the musicians were dummies: Pearl Jam and Soundgarden experimented with alternate tunings, and Soundgarden and Alice in Chains played around with different time signatures. Besides, grunge was a much more diverse umbrella, because the Seattle scene took influences from punk (Nirvana), classic rock (Pearl Jam), hard rock (Soundgarden) and metal (Alice in Chains), and each band had its own recognizable sound, while all the hair metal groups basically followed the same formula. Wailing vocals? Check. Shred solos? Check. Songs about partying and chicks? Check. Obligatory love ballad once in a while? Check.
Which actually leads me to a small revelation...   is the 10s the first decade with no musical trend to define it?

If you're solely looking at rock / metal, I'd agree. I'd attest that to rock having pretty much dropped off the face of mainstream music at this point. Hell, outside of maybe djent (which most people don't even consider to be a real subgenre) I can't really think of any big "trends" in rock / metal from this decade. Do high school kids even listen to metalcore anymore?
At least in Europe the 70s revival has been popular to some degree within the rock/metal scene, though Ghost is the only band that has really hit the mainstream, so it's not as much of a trend as hair metal or nu metal was.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 04:30:08 AM »
Well I loved Soundgarden and Pearl Jam's 'Ten', but then the whole 'Grunge' thing blew up and everybody started wearing those plead shirts and ripped jeans and it just became a fad. I hate when music gets commercialized like that. Same happened to Punk and Metal.

There were great bands in both movements, but the whole toupé'd hair and pouting lipstick lips just turned me off. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 07:26:29 AM »
Grunge all the way.

Some of the bands I like (Queensryche, Scorpions, Ozzy) sometimes flirted with a glam aesthetic musically or visually, but I've never been into any actual hair metal stuff like Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Poison etc., because to me it's all style over substance. Grunge bands had deeper lyrics, and it's not like the musicians were dummies: Pearl Jam and Soundgarden experimented with alternate tunings, and Soundgarden and Alice in Chains played around with different time signatures. Besides, grunge was a much more diverse umbrella, because the Seattle scene took influences from punk (Nirvana), classic rock (Pearl Jam), hard rock (Soundgarden) and metal (Alice in Chains), and each band had its own recognizable sound, while all the hair metal groups basically followed the same formula. Wailing vocals? Check. Shred solos? Check. Songs about partying and chicks? Check. Obligatory love ballad once in a while? Check.

Funny though, that you only really name the same three bands as everyone else.  I'm not  saying they're the only "good" bands  to  come out of there, but I think in 50 years or so, we'll be talking about Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice like we talk about the Beatles, and the rest of the scene will be talked about like Gerry and the Pacemakers and Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Grunge all the way.

Funny though, that you only really name the same three bands as everyone else.  I'm not  saying they're the only "good" bands  to  come out of there, but I think in 50 years or so, we'll be talking about Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice like we talk about the Beatles, and the rest of the scene will be talked about like Gerry and the Pacemakers and Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

We'll also be talking about Nirvana, like them or not.  :)  By the way Stadler, I voted for for 90s grunge on this, and it wasn't even close for me.  Just keep that in mind (since you "threatened" to send 80s hair metal in my roulette... :) )

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
When grunge came along I was able to stop my subscriptions to the guitar magazines. Saved me some money at least.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
Well, and I would imagine you already knew both of those chords anyway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2018, 11:44:15 AM »

:rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »

Exactly  :biggrin: and I was already pretty good at very short sloppy solos

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
Just curious how some of the grunge haters feel about punk...

Grunge and punk are completely different types of music to my ears (though there are some similarities) but on a social level they were extremely similar. They were both emotional backlashes by non-musicians in answer to an overindulgent trend that preceded it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »
In general, doesn't do anything for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
Punk and Grunge both played a part in shaping a culture of musicians who think it’s cool to suck at playing your instrument. In turn, it’s helped fuel the “technical means no feel” argument against some of the more technically proficient artists out there. That’s honestly my biggest issue with the two genres.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
I mentioned how I did not like grunge at all and I prefer 80s music, but one genre of music I loved from the 90s was punk (and ska).  90s punk even had some mainstream success with Green Day and Offspring.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »

Grunge and punk are completely different types of music to my ears (though there are some similarities) but on a social level they were extremely similar. They were both emotional backlashes by non-musicians in answer to an overindulgent trend that preceded it.

Can’t stand punk either. I like my musicians to be skilled in the art.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
TBH I'm not too well-versed on the bands outside the big 4 names, and the narrowest definitions of grunge seem to be limited to the Seattle scene anyway - I know at least Melvins (if they count) were pretty influential though.

As Lethean said, Nirvana will undoubtedly be remembered and talked about as well. After all, they were the first of the bunch to hit the mainstream and basically popularized the "quiet verse, loud chorus" template that so many others would use afterwards. Even on Spotify, Teen Spirit has more plays than Black Hole Sun, Alive and Man in the Box combined, and you only really see youngsters wearing Nirvana shirts these days, even though it's only been 25 years or so (feels weird saying that, because I'm not even that old yet :lol).

I like grunge, but not punk :P The DIY ethos of punk is cool, but the music is too blunt and primal for my taste. Misfits have some decent songs, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:56:58 PM by ? »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
80s bald metal ftw  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

I wouldn't call myself a grunge hater, but I am generally not a fan.

I do not like punk at all.  Punk is basically something talked up by critics so much that people think it was more popular and relevant than it really was.  Go look at how albums by The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc. charted back in the day.  Punk did well in the UK, but not in many other places. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 05:43:43 PM »

I do not like punk at all.  Punk is basically something talked up by critics so much that people think it was more popular and relevant than it really was.  Go look at how albums by The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc. charted back in the day.  Punk did well in the UK, but not in many other places.

Well he wasn't comparing to old school punk.  Well at least I didn't think so, but punk had a lot of success in the US in the 90s.  Green Day, Offspring, Blink 182 all had a lot of success commercially. Obviously it was never as big as grunge or metal, but the 90s were good for that type of music compared to any other decade IMO and all those mentioned bands were played on KRock alongside the big grunge bands so I think it's an interesting comparison.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »

I do not like punk at all.  Punk is basically something talked up by critics so much that people think it was more popular and relevant than it really was.  

Um yeah...see Grunge.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »

Well he wasn't comparing to old school punk.  Well at least I didn't think so, but punk had a lot of success in the US in the 90s.  Green Day, Offspring, Blink 182 all had a lot of success commercially. Obviously it was never as big as grunge or metal, but the 90s were good for that type of music compared to any other decade IMO and all those mentioned bands were played on KRock alongside the big grunge bands so I think it's an interesting comparison.

I was comparing to old school punk...which was largely considered a backlash against “pretentious music” aka prog.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
I am talking about the original punk movement of the 70's, which critics act like was this hugely popular thing, when in reality it was not.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
It wasn't the explosion in America that grunge was...but I believe that it's impact on the music scene was much bigger than its popularity in the states.   It *drastically* changed everyone else's approach to music.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »
Hair metal is one of the only universally putrid genres of music. Grunge is ok.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »
No one thinks the Ramones or the Sex Pistols were worth the praise we unless you worked for Rolling Stone magazine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »

Hair metal gave us a bunch of classic songs that everyone knows.

Did the original punk movement even give us one?  Maybe the song London Calling, but even that is a stretch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
The Clash was a different breed stretching their musical limitations. They deserve the accolades.  Punk for me, stunk. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »

Did the original punk movement even give us one?  Maybe the song London Calling, but even that is a stretch.

Not much but the original punk movement gave us palatable music so it has that advantage. ;)

EDIT: Also to be less trollish, hair metal is nearly irrelevant nowadays, whereas punk had a way more far-reaching influence.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:09:26 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »

AY!  OH!  LET'S GO!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2018, 03:41:07 AM »

I do not like punk at all.  Punk is basically something talked up by critics so much that people think it was more popular and relevant than it really was.

Punk was not so relevant?
I really doubt that grunge and a significant number of alternative rock bands would exist without Sex Pistols or The Clash. And I really doubt that thrash metal, which is the most popular form of metal music in the USA would exist without bands as Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat etc.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2018, 04:30:43 AM »
I dig bands like Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedy's, Sex Pistols, Descendents.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2018, 05:01:13 AM »
EDIT: Also to be less trollish, hair metal is nearly irrelevant nowadays, whereas punk had a way more far-reaching influence.

Maybe in the circles you run in it's "nearly irrelevant", but that's a gross misstatement.  Example (cuz it's painfully fresh in my brain)... I take it you heard 16,000 people singing Livin on a Prayer from the TD Garden last night?  Don't think that quite qualifies as irrelevant.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2018, 05:35:40 AM »
AY!  OH!  LET'S GO!

I'll say this.. That's definitely better than

OONTA GLEEBIN GLOWTIN GLOBIN.

I mean WTF? :loser: