Poll

80's hair metal or 90's grunge?

80's hair metal
40 (59.7%)
90's grunge
27 (40.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 80's hair metal or 90's grunge?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline WildRanger

80's hair metal or 90's grunge?
« on: April 22, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
What do you prefer?

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: 80's hair metal or 90's grunge?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
Depends on the band, but overall I'd have to go with hair metal over grunge, tho there's plenty of hair metal I don't like, and some grunge that I do like. Probably due in part to the fact that I grew up in the 80s.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
"hair bands" are one of the few things of the 80's I DON'T like.  I thought it was all silly. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
Apples and oranges.  I love them both for different reasons, and there are good examples and bad examples of both.   

You could have included 00s nu-metal in this as well, and I would say the same thing.

Which actually leads me to a small revelation...   is the 10s the first decade with no musical trend to define it? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
80's!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
Depends on the band, but overall I'd have to go with hair metal over grunge, tho there's plenty of hair metal I don't like, and some grunge that I do like. Probably due in part to the fact that I grew up in the 80s.

Depends; Cinderella slays anything in the grunge era, but I'd take Temple of the Dog and Soundgarden over, say, Autograph, or anything with this on the cover:

Yes, I know he was in Kiss, but he's by far my least favorite member of the band (yes, even over Peter Criss and Vinnie Vincent).  I don't know what that chord fretting sounds like but it can't be good.   

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 02:02:57 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:26:48 AM »
Wasn't a fan of bands like Poison, but I dug Mottley Crew and Ratt.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 05:13:15 AM »
Both, but only the good bands.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 08:25:05 AM »
Depends on the band, but overall I'd have to go with hair metal over grunge, tho there's plenty of hair metal I don't like, and some grunge that I do like.

Pretty much this, although I would say that actual "grunge" that I like would make a very short list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
I still love Ratt's Round & Round.  And 80's Van Halen was awesome.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
Was never a fan of grunge music and love the 80s... I'm a 90s kid but the 80s had great music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 08:52:14 AM »
The problem with all of this is Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.   Pearl Jam with the way they recycle the Who crossed with a smattering of UFO/Kiss/Zeppelin - they are undeniably an amazing live band - and Soundgarden with the beauty and genius that was Chris Cornell.    Even without the tragedy of his death, I think 40 years from now we're going to look back at Cornell in the same way we look at, say, Deep Purple, or The Doors.

But for those two, this isn't even a conversation in my opinion. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
I was listening to Crazy Horse the other day and realizing that Pearl Jam is basically an exact carbon copy.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
80s metal is my stuff. Hated grunge. Still do. My life wasn’t shit in the 90s so I had no frame of reference for it.
And it was anti everything I loved in music.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
Depends on the band, but overall I'd have to go with hair metal over grunge, tho there's plenty of hair metal I don't like

This is me to a T (although I suppose it really depends what is and isn't included as "hair metal").  I intentionally omitted the "some grunge I like" comment because I'm not sure there's anything considered "grunge" that I like (is Peral Jam's "Ten" considered "grunge"?).

You could have included 00s nu-metal in this as well, and I would say the same thing.

Which actually leads me to a small revelation...   is the 10s the first decade with no musical trend to define it? 

I wouldn't say that "nu-metal" "defined" the 2000s, and I'd say that alt/indy rock "defined" the 1990s at least as much as "grunge."  I agree, though, that there's been no single dominant musical style for the 2010s.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »
Hair metal by far. Those bands were full of a lot of great musicians who also didn’t take themselves too seriously. It made for some really fun music.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
I choose going deaf.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »

Yeah, well, you like Grace Under Pressure, so....  ;-)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »

If I'm out of it heading into the final round, you're getting some quintessential glam in your Roulette.

Hint hint... score me well this round.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
Grace Under Pressure rules, and I will handle jingle's results in my roulette with grace... under pressure.  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »
Hair metal by far. Those bands were full of a lot of great musicians who also didn’t take themselves too seriously. It made for some really fun music.

Great musicians who put posing over musicianship?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
who put posing over musicianship?

Says who?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

Umm............  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
Depends on the band, but overall I'd have to go with hair metal over grunge, tho there's plenty of hair metal I don't like

This is me to a T (although I suppose it really depends what is and isn't included as "hair metal").  I intentionally omitted the "some grunge I like" comment because I'm not sure there's anything considered "grunge" that I like (is Peral Jam's "Ten" considered "grunge"?).

I wouldn't say that "nu-metal" "defined" the 2000s, and I'd say that alt/indy rock "defined" the 1990s at least as much as "grunge."  I agree, though, that there's been no single dominant musical style for the 2010s.

Maybe I should not say defined the decade so much as it is a clear product of its decade. It was the stand out metal genre of that period, anyway.  I mean, if we are going to be broad, 80s rap was very much of a product of its time just as much as hair metal was.  But I was thinking more along the specific rock/metal lines when I made the statement.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
Maybe I should not say defined the decade so much as it is a clear product of its decade. It was the stand out metal genre of that period, anyway.  I mean, if we are going to be broad, 80s rap was very much of a product of its time just as much as hair metal was.  But I was thinking more along the specific rock/metal lines when I made the statement.

I agree with all that.

When I think of music in the 80s, I think about new wave and metal.
For the 90s, it's grunge, rap and alt/indy rock (and really, more than alt/indy rock in general, I think of all the female singers like Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Cheryl Crow, etc.).

I can't really pinpoint anything for the 2000s and 2010s like that, although maybe we need more distance to do that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
I think 40 years from now we're going to look back at Cornell in the same way we look at, say, .. The Doors.

Yeah, overrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 03:48:45 PM »
I think 40 years from now we're going to look back at Cornell in the same way we look at, say, .. The Doors.

Yeah, overrated.

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
Everyone- "TAC, do you like sushi"?

TAC- "What am I, a fruitcake"?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
Everyone- "TAC, do you like sushi"?

TAC- "What am I, a fruitcake"?

Wut? :lol

Why can't I have both?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
That's my point.  There's good music in both eras. I do lean to the 80's  but you make it seem like no music is good from the 90's.   That is incorrect.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »
When in this thread did I ever say that?? Quote me bitch!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
Tim, we know you tapped out in the 90's.   It's not like you've professed your hate on other threads. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
Tim, we know you tapped out in the 90's.   

Some would say I've been tapped out since the 90's!

Hey, my favorite album of all time came out in 1992. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
Tim, we know you tapped out in the 90's.   

Some would say I've been tapped out since the 90's!

Hey, my favorite album of all time came out in 1992. :P

Was it a new band? :neverusethis: