Author Topic: The Wolfking Second Coming Roulette v2. We all know who won. Thanks to all!!!  (Read 85855 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
We are all missing the obvious here....he sent Kip Winger! :2metal:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I know what it is, and these responses amuse me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
myles kennedy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Keith Urban?

I hate that guy.

Someone has guessed it though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just need Evermind and Elite.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Meant to send yesterday but forgot. You'll get my song in a few hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think wolf will love my song. I hope. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
It's not Keith Urban, though I really like him and I've seen him three times in concert.   The man puts on a show, and is an AMAZING guitar player.  REALLY good.   Some of the actual songs I can take or leave, but as a musician, he's the real deal.  Plus he is (or seems to be, and if he's not, he's the best faker in the world) the nicest man on the planet.   After the show, he will spend 15 or 20 minutes doing autographs and photos for the people around the stage.  At one show, my daughter asked for a selfie with him, and the angle didn't work, and he was very nice: "Sorry, baby, I can't do that and sign at the same time", so he held her hand as he signed other people's stuff, until he was out of reach.  She was in tears she was so happy.    I know that doesn't make him a great musician, but it does make him a decent human being, and that counts for something.   

Offline Tomislav95

I don't believe I sent :lol

EDIT: I did now
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent. Kinda skeptic on that one, not sure the song will work with Kade, but hey, it's the last round and all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent!!!  Shouldn't surprise anyone, though it's not something I've sent before. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

What the hell?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Sent for round 6!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

What the hell?

I'm communicating with Lethean in code through this thread.  HAHA!

Offline Lethean

What the hell?

I'm communicating with Lethean in code through this thread.  HAHA!

:lol. I was starting to wonder what we'd all been guessing for... :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sorry mate was meant to mention your name too. Dont know what happened, was late and posted right before bed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not Keith Urban, though I really like him and I've seen him three times in concert.   The man puts on a show, and is an AMAZING guitar player.  REALLY good.   Some of the actual songs I can take or leave, but as a musician, he's the real deal.  Plus he is (or seems to be, and if he's not, he's the best faker in the world) the nicest man on the planet.   After the show, he will spend 15 or 20 minutes doing autographs and photos for the people around the stage.  At one show, my daughter asked for a selfie with him, and the angle didn't work, and he was very nice: "Sorry, baby, I can't do that and sign at the same time", so he held her hand as he signed other people's stuff, until he was out of reach.  She was in tears she was so happy.    I know that doesn't make him a great musician, but it does make him a decent human being, and that counts for something.

Doesn't mind a good snort either the old Keith.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just need Elite.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
More like... elate.

Thank you, thank you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry for the inactivity lads.  Gonna wrap this up and will have results in the morning.  Lethean's roulette is starting nicely so we'll wrap this up so full concentration can be put into his. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Final round results;

Big Hath - Appearance of Nothing - Without A Reason

This was my fav track of the round.  I really really enjoyed this one.  10 minutes long but didn't feel anywhere near that long.  Lots of diversity and lots of interseting sections but everything feels like it belongs. The vocals are very interesting, not the strongest but I grew to love them. Love the chorus, very catchy and memorable.  Great song.

Style - 9.5
Instrumentation and vox - 9.5
Songwriting and Structure - 9.0
Replay value - 9.5
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.3

bl5150 - Shy - So Many Tears

This is some nice AOR/melodic rock done right.  I've heard the name shy, even heard some of their old stuff but don't think I've heard anything more recent.  This guy really really sounds like Glenn Hughes which is cool.  This is one of those ones that isn't instantly catchy, the melodies grow on you.  Ripping guitar too.  Nothing I haven't heard before, but a cool track indeed.

Style - 9.5
Instrumentation and vox - 9.0
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.1

Luoto - Chaos Divine - Before the Dawn

Jeez, another Aussie band I don't know much about.  I liked this, had that Dead Letter Circus feel and even though wasn't metal, this had a brilliant atmosphere and feel.  Really enjoyed the guys vocals but I liked the melodies and the chorus.  This style can often be hit or miss, but I really liked this one.

Style - 9.0
Instrumentation and vox - 9.0
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

lowdz - Nordheim - Over and Over Again

This is like In Flames with clean vocals, it's funny how much it sounds like them.  Although this had a nice slick sound and a polished feel throughout.  The In Flames feel is strong throughout so it's kind of funny to hear it with clean vocals.  Vocals were adequate though and melodies solid.  Cool song.

Style - 9.5
Instrumentation and vox - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 8.9

TAC - Angelus Apatrida - Sharpen the Guillotine

Tim's submissions really have a distinct style, but I style I like.  Ripping from the get go.  More thrashy vocals in the verses but I like the vocals in the chorus.  Not the strongest chorus I've heard though, but it becomes pretty catchy pretty quick.  Great raw ripping leads too as always and I expect from the style.  Solid song.

Style - 9.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 8.9

Kattoelox - Outworld - War Cry

This sounds great from the get go, nice and heavy indeed.  Love the vocals too, nice and Halford like. Actually even the music reminds me something from Crucible.  Great contrast between the verses and chorus too, didn't mind that.  The leads are so self indulgent and raw, love 'em.  Solid song.

Style - 9.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 8.9

Lethean - Superior - Breeze of Insanity

It's all about that piano melody hey, very catchy.  But once this got going, fuck the Savatage influence is strong.  Vocals really sound like Chris Caffery too.  I liked the melodies in this one, it was quite different.  It was pretty samey throughout but a nice listen.

Style - 9.5
Songwriting and Structure - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.7

Bolsters - Plini - Cascade

Nice instrumental this.  At first I thought it was kind of your run of the mill prog instrumental, but it grew on me.  Had shades of Steve Vai, Frank Gambale, Macalpine, DT even, pretty enjoyable.  It was pretty laid back but everything really kept my attention, loved the climax to the ending too.  Great gutar work too on this one.

Style - 9.0
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.7

Puppies_on_Aicd - Moonsorrow - Verisakeet

This is one of those songs that I can happily listen to and enjoy without needing to take it all in, it can flow by and is a really nice listen.  I'm pretty sure I've got an album from these guys, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it.  Some of the vocals were cool and over the top.  The melodies were cool and a lot of what is going on here reminds me of something from the band Disillusion.  Probably wouldn't go out of my way looking for me, but enjoyable.

Style - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5 

Parama - Monotheist - Desolate, It Mourns Before Me

I don't mind this style sometimes but this one didn't really grab me all that much.  I liked the vocals though, they were strong and the music itself was very good.  Some of the prettier melodies with the vocals over the top worked well.  The solos were the highlight, some really intricate playing which was very good.  I guess there is nothing really wrong with this one just didn't grab me as much.

Style - 8.5
Songwriting and Structure - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 7.9

jingle.boy - Kepler Ten - Swallowtail

Sorry Chad, this is another submission I quite can't understand in why you sent.  I can see why you like it, but I couldn't get into it.  It just drags on a lot and while the sounds and atmospheres are nice enough, I just lost attention.  I know you'd like the chorus, sounds like something you'd like and it did grow on me a little, but it just dragged out too much.  Then I thought we were getting into a big heavy buildup and it would keep going but it didn't.  The chorus is nice though, just not enough to keep me interseted.

Style - 8.5
Instrumentation and vox - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 7.0

Score - 7.6

Stadler - Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

This isn't my style at all, at all.  I appreciate the submission from Stadler and I gave it a go.  I've heard this guys name but don't know anymore than that.  This had a real British Robbie Williams feel.  The melodies in the chorus were actually pretty decent and can see this go down well in concert.  I really didn't like the melodies with the falsetto, I found that annoying and while I won't be listening to any more, this had its moments.

Style - 6.0
Instrumentation and vox - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 6.0

Score - 6.9

Evermind - Artificial Language - The Grand Skeptic

Yeah, I couldn't get into this.  I found it pretty ordinary and didn't care much for the vocals.  The melodies aren't really my style either.  I tried but I don't know what it was, just didn't get it I guess.

Style - 7.0
Instrumentation and vox - 6.5
Songwriting and Structure - 6.5
Replay value - 6.5
Would I purchase - 6.5

Score - 6.6

tomislav95 - Woods of Ypres - Shards of Love

Yeah, this one was pretty mournful hey.  Not much I could get into here.  Not really a fan of the vox or anything.  The production was ordinary too.  Yeah, a bit of a miss this one.

Style - 6.0
Instrumentation and vox - 5.5
Songwriting and Structure - 6.0
Replay value - 6.0
Would I purchase - 6.0

Score - 5.9

bl5150 - 9.1 + 9.4 + 9.0 + 9.3 + 8.9 + 9.2 + 9.0 + 8.9 + 9.1
jingle.boy - 8.9 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 9.2 + 8.8 + 9.2 + 7.0 + 9.3 + 7.6
Luoto - 8.8 + 8.7 + 8.6 + 6.0 + 9.0 + 7.0 + 7.8 + 9.0 + 9.0
TAC - 8.6 + 9.5 + 9.0 + 8.4 + 9.0 + 8.8 + 8.6 + 9.6 + 8.9
Big Hath - 8.5 + 9.5 + 8.6 + 8.4 + 9.4 + 9.0 + 9.1 + 7.9 + 9.3
Evermind - 8.5 + 8.0 + 9.1 + 9.0 + 9.2 + 8.6 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 6.6
Kattoelox - 8.4 + 7.5 + 8.8 + 7.1 + 0.0 + 8.8 + 8.7 + 4.0 + 8.9
Bolsters - 7.9 + 9.4 +7.7 + 8.9 + 8.6 + 8.5 + 8.8 + 8.7 + 8.7
Parama - 7.6 + 6.8 + 7.7 + 7.0 + 7.8 + 9.7 + 6.0 + 8.2 + 7.9
Tomislav95 - 7.4 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.7 + 5.9
Elite - 7.3 + 6.8 + 8.3 + 9.0 + 7.3 + 7.0 + 6.8 + 7.7 + 0.0
lowdz - 6.9 + 8.6 + 8.5 + 8.8 + 9.2 + 9.0 + 8.8 + 8.2 + 8.9
Puppies_On_Acid - 6.0 + 7.9 + 7.0 + 9.0 + 8.8 + 6.3 + 9.0 + 9.0 + 8.5
Lethean - 5.8 + 6.0 + 9.2 + 7.7 + 4.8 + 8.7 + 6.4 + 6.5 + 8.7
Stadler - 4.6 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 5.0 + 4.5 + 7.2 + 8.2 + 6.9 + 6.9

bl5150 - 81.9
TAC - 80.4
Big Hath - 79.7
Bolsters - 77.2
lowdz - 76.9
jingle.boy - 76.7
Evermind - 75.2
Luoto - 73.9
Puppies_on_Acid - 71.6
Tomislav95 - 71.5
Parama - 68.7
Lethean - 63.8
Kattoelox - 62.2
Elite - 60.2
Stadler - 59.7

Brent is the winner!!!!!!!!

Thanks heaps everyone for contributing, this has been amazing and really disappointed this is over.  I have lots and lots of new stuff to get my teeth into that will keep me busy for some time, so thank you all!!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
funny thing is, I like sign of the times a lot  :corn
especially as far as top 40 hits go these days

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, 2nd place!!! That makes me the top loser! ;D

Hey Bolsters, since it was a fait accompli that Brent was going to win, I'm expecting a .5 added to my tally in the wins list in the OP.

Cool?  ;D

Lots of fun, Kade.  :metal :metal

Glad you liked some of the stuff sent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I still managed to beat Stadler!  :lol

Very fun roulette wolfking, it was a fun challenge to try to fit the round criteria. Thanks for having me! Go check out more Power Quest for all your cheesy AOR-meets-power-metal needs  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not surprised by that score for Swallowtail, at all.  I figured there was about an 8-10% chance of it scoring well... ya never know when something on the lighter side of prog might click (ala Sieges Even or Subsignal).  But alas, another swing and a miss.  No biggie... I had an uphill climb after Heaven Below was a dud, and no chance after the Vanish. debacle.  C'est la vie.  There's no crying in roulette's.

Glad you got some good stuff to check out - I know I do!  By the looks of your writeups this round, you were running out of steam  ;), so 9 rounds was probably just right.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
By the looks of your writeups this round, you were running out of steam  ;)

Obviously. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Glad you somewhat liked the Moonsorrow song. I know it was a lot to take in at 14 minutes, but it's a very rewarding song on repeat listens. It's one of those albums that I can listen to over and over and never get bored of it. By the way the song title was supposed to be Pimea. Verisakeet is the album title. Perhaps I mixed those up when I sent the submission to you.  :facepalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Kade for running a fun roulette  .     If I am not mistaken that is (over some period of time) a four-peat  :hat

All jokes aside I am happy to have won in a roulette with so many formidable competitors .    GRRRRowly Death Metal Tim in particular pulled off some pretty amazing scores with material that I never would've expected from him but which nailed it in terms of Kade's tastes better than anything I sent.

I will now slink off back to the roulette retirement village and concentrate on cranking out a few B&B podcasts  - "rouletting without all the hard work" is the pitch  :)

PS  Chad-   I considered Kepler Ten for this roulette (and it'll be in an upcoming podcast) but Red Skies Rise was the standout track for me - very Fates Warning.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
GRRRRowly Death Metal Tim

:lol

Hey, I like that! :yarr :metal

:lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Third is pretty respectable, and if I recall it's much better than I did last time too. :lol Congrats to Brent! :tup

Hey Bolsters, since it was a fait accompli that Brent was going to win, I'm expecting a .5 added to my tally in the wins list in the OP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
By the looks of your writeups this round, you were running out of steam  ;)

Obviously. :lol

That obvious was it?  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I agree, Sign of the Times is one of the better hit singles I've heard, beautiful tune.

Evermind - Artificial Language - The Grand Skeptic
The melodies aren't really my style either.
I mean, did you really have to try this band with wolf to find out it wasn't his style? :lol Or was it more like a last round 'fuck it, nothing to lose' submission
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought he might appreciate the guitar work, if nothing else. But it was kinda like nothing-to-lose submission, yeah.

Thanks for running this, Kade.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

PS  Chad-   I considered Kepler Ten for this roulette (and it'll be in an upcoming podcast) but Red Skies Rise was the standout track for me - very Fates Warning.

I can't disagree too much there, but I love the 2 different parts to Swallowtail - Ev knows what I'm talking 'bout.  That album is the tits - so much diversity and different styles of songwriting - Katt will back me up here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I can't disagree too much there, but I love the 2 different parts to Swallowtail - Ev knows what I'm talking 'bout.  That album is the tits - so much diversity and different styles of songwriting - Katt will back me up here.

Interrsting Brett was going to send this band, wouldn't have guessed that. Maybe it's something that needs more time and listens to grow.