Author Topic: The Wolfking Second Coming Roulette v2. We all know who won. Thanks to all!!!  (Read 85852 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Wolfking Second Coming Roulette v2. Rd1 listening - Results soon
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
Will start typing shortly.

:impatient:

I've actually just started tying now haha.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Give me half hour fellas.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »
Give me half hour fellas.

No rush, Kade. It's all good!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »
So I'm going thru the original thread again - almost 2 years old exactly funny enough. Kade, you did a thing around song reveals of "smudging" them"so they were barely legible. That was a cool thing to do. You should do that again if you have the inclination.

Oh, and type faster!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »
Results

Okay, I've decided to take the approach I used in my last roulette in terms of scoring.  I like the breakdown of criterias which allows me to go inbetween instead of your usual 8 or 8.5.  Makes things nice and interesting later on.  Most was quite close here because even though the styles are so different, I still enjoyed on a similar level.

bl5150 - Anthem - Sacred Trace

This was easily the best song of the round.  As a fellow guitarist, I can tell and always have that Brent knows his shit when it comes to shred.  Perhaps one day he and I will form the most incredible guitar duo since Smith/Murray or KK/Tipton!  Anyway, this was pretty much perfect and I replay it over and over again.  The structure is wonderful and just the smooth, simple style is so crisp and freeflowing with the guitarist definitely one I need to look into a bit more.  There is so much TMac influence here it's not funny, with some Moore thrown in plus some others.  The outro solo was the best section of any song this round, such a perfect lead which actually reminded me of the outro of MAB's Rain Forest, same style and just a perfect climax to the song.

Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 9
Songwriting and Structure - 9
Replay value - 9.5
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 9.1

jingle.boy - Lost in Thought - Beyond the Flames

This one actually didn't really do much for me at first.  I thought it was Chad being somewhat safe going for a standard DT/VP style band, but I was wrong, this grew into a monster.  When the vocals kicked in I thought I was listening to an Awake leftover.  More listens actually steered me away from that style and this sounds a lot like JLB's EOP album, which is good.  i love vocals, even though he thinks he's JLB, he has the pipes.  The chorus is what got me here, wonderful, melodic and just well done.  Not much to say but I was surprised this grew into my second favourite.  This band has all the chops and definitely going to check the rest of the albums. Replay value just got half a point down just because of it's a style we all know so I'd hope it would have the lasting power, but so far so good. Nice submission Chad.

Style - 9
Songwriting and Structure - 9
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 8.9

Luoto - Mygrain - A Clockwork Apocalypse

This one surprsied me.  Again, initially I thought it was cool but seemed to just fade into the rest but the more listens I really started enjoying it.  The chorus I think here is the kicker, it's so damn memorable and catchy and easily to hum along too.  The vocals are strong.  It's more your American style vocals as opposed to your usual melodic death metal to me in the verses but I have no problem with that.  The little solo in the middle is a nice touch too and the main one is nice and simple without overplaying and adding to the song.  The chorus here is the kicker and I hope they produc more like it.  Great song

Style - 9
Songwriting and Structure - 8.5
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.8

TAC - Daydream X1 - Watch Me Rise

Here we another another of your standard prog bands, but these guys have the chops.  Obviously this and Chad's submission were similar but this one didn't have the lasting power or stick that Chad's did.  Everything about this is great and really well done, and the melodies are very good.  My fav part of this one is the solo, really good and well structred shred here.  Will definitely check the album as again these guys have all the chops

Style - 9
Replay value - 8.0
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.6

Big Hath - Demon Hunter - Artifical Light

I'm pretty sure I've heard this song before, but can't put my finger on it.  Anyway, the band name I can't recall but this was right up my alley.  You can hear they are an American band by the vocals and verses straight away, but the prechorus and chorus was fabulous and really reminded me of that later Soilwork sound that I really like.  The chorus was very catchy and makes the song easy to replay.  Nice solo to boot.  I see these guys are a Christian band, but that's fine with me.  Sounds like the rest of their stuff I feel might lack variety but that's just assuming but deserve to be checked out.  Good song.

Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 8.5
Replay value - 8.0
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

Evermind - While Heaven Wept - To Wander the Void

This is right up my alley.  Ruslan mentioned how these guys use to be a doom band, and I myself can hear that with the tones and instrumentation.  Everything about this is good, great playing and wonderful vox, really really good.  Love the odd time signatures also.  The only thing is, this just sounds so much like The Apparition to me from Fates Warning it's distracting.  The ahh's are just so much like it.  I wonder if anyone else heard that when they made it.  Anyway, besides that which did distract me, love the structure and the second half too.  Again, they deserved to be looked into.  I think I have heard another song from this album as the cover is familiar.  I think it was a 14-15 minute song and that was cool from what I remember.

Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 9.0
Songwriting and Structure - 8.0
Replay value - 8.0
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

Kattoelox - Naglfar - Sheol

Now this was fucking cool.  I'm not a big black metal fan at all.  It's a genre I can really appreciate but can only take in small doses and the lack of variety makes it hard for me to stick with it for a long period of time.  This though, was original.  This is like melodic power black metal.  Dunno who these guys are but they've taken a Children of Bodom style approach and really taken different styles and made something different, although still very heavy in the black metal style.  Love the vocals and everything about this is raw and brutal and I'm not having any problems replaying it.  Again the style makes me question how much of what these guys do I could take in one sitting, but this was a great submission

Style - 8
Instrumentation and vox - 9.0
Replay value - 8.0
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.4

Bolsters - Bare Infinity - Sands of Time

This started out really excellent, great riff, nice and hard hitting, but then the vocals came in.  A female.  Hey, I love my females, I'm a straight as they come, but something about female singers in metal bands just never did it for me.  I don't mind some and it may be discrimination but in general they just lack the variation and timbre that men do.  Saying that, this wasn't too bad at all and I'm surprsied I enjoyed it as much as I do.  It's hard cause everything about it is good and I do enjoy listening to it, just not sure if it's enough to convert me.  The middle instrumental section was amazing though.

Style - 8
Instrumentation and vox - 7.5
Replay value - 8.0
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 7.9

Parama - Amendfoil - Darken Waters

Gotta admit Parama, I was surprised you were so eager to join my roulette again.  Saying that, it was fun and I was keen to hear what you came up with.  This  though was surprsrising.  Never heard of these guys but this was cool, love the chorus and vocals.  That's what did it for me.  The verses had that odd style I know you love that was passable but year the chorus was very cool.  Not sure if I see myself becoming a fan, but it would be respectful to see what else they do.  Really cool, well done.

Style - 7.5
Songwriting and Structure - 8.0
Replay value - 8.0
Would I purchase - 7.0

Score - 7.6

Tomislav95 - Hypocrisy - Eraser

This sould be right up my alley indeed and I did enjoy it, just not as much as some of the others.  I've heard the band name but can't recall if I've heard anything from them before.  I love my In Flames and this is obviously what they are going for here.  The vocals were great and really the chorus was nice and catchy and there is nothing wrong with this submission.  It just didn't stand out as much as it should I guess given the style.  Still never watned to skip it, so that's a good sign.

Style - 8.0
Instrumentation and vox - 8.0
Songwriting and Structure - 7.0
Replay value - 7.0
Would I purchase - 7.0

Score - 7.4

Elite - King Goat - Conduit

This is an interesting song and was hard to get into, but when I did it was interseting enough to hold my attention.  It has the Mastodon feel to me and the vocals I thought were very good.  The clean vocals also were very strong and the atmosphere was very nice.  It's just a hard song to rank and really need to hear more from the band.  I think it just plodded along a little too much but the riff at the end was massive.  I think a lot of time put into this could pay off.  It's just hard to see if they would be for me and if I'd have the time to get into them.  It was enjoyable though.

Style - 7.5
Songwriting and Structure - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 6.5

Score - 7.3

lowdz - Syu - Spearhead

This kind of pains me to rate a bit low cause it should be right up my alley.  This guy I have heard of but never checked out anything from him.  This was a fine listen but something about it I just found a bit pedestrian and just seemed to lack originality and purpose.  He is obviously a very talented guitarist and I will definitely should listen to more but yeah it's a shame Paul cause anyone would think it would be a home run but it's just something I've heard all before.  While not bad and happy to listen to, it just kind of flies by without really grabbing my attention.

Style - 8.0
Instrumentation and vox - 8.0
Songwriting and Structure - 6.5
Replay value - 6.0
Would I purchase - 6.0

Score - 6.9

Puppies_On_Acid - Woe of Tyrants - Kingdom of Might

I don't mind this style but like the black metal, I can't listen to it for very long, but appreciate it.  A couple of bands like The Faceless and BTBAM obviously is a rare fav of mine but it's a tricky style.  I just found this though quite bland and lacked variety.  Everything about it is strong and well performed but just didn't hold me attention and thought it was quite generic for the genre. 

Style - 6.5
Instrumentation and vox - 6.5
Songwriting and Structure - 6.0
Replay value - 6.0
Would I purchase - 5.0

Score - 6.0

Lethean - Solefald - Waves Over Valhalla

This on the outside sounded pretty cool and well done, but I just couldn't get into it.  Everything was fine but yeah, just couldn't hold my attention and I found my attention drifting.  The clean vocals were very good and he has a very nice tone, but unfortunately just didn't do it for me.  Not sure what it is but just missed the mark.

Style - 6.0
Instrumentation and vox - 6.5
Songwriting and Structure - 6.0
Replay value - 5.5
Would I purchase - 5.0

Score - 5.8

Stadler - Kiss - Shout Mercy

yeah, this was never going to work.  I don't like Kiss and never did and really don't like any of their songs at all.  I gave this one as many chances as the rest but had to end up skipping it.  I just found it genereic and average and unfortuantely not worth my time and not what I'm looking for.  Sorry Stadler.

Style - 6.0
Instrumentation and vox - 5.5
Songwriting and Structure - 4.5
Replay value - 4.0
Would I purchase - 3.0

Score - 4.6

Round 2 open

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »
After round 1;

bl5150 - 9.1
jingle.boy - 8.9
Luoto - 8.8
TAC - 8.6
Big Hath - 8.5
Evermind - 8.5
Kattoelox - 8.4
Bolsters - 7.9
Parama - 7.6
Tomislav95 - 7.4
Elite - 7.3
lowdz - 6.9
Puppies_On_Acid - 6.0
Lethean - 5.8
Stadler - 4.6

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #286 on: April 27, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
well, could've gone worse  :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: April 27, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
OK, Cool!

Kade, you should have Round 2.

*checks out Anthem/prepares boomerang* :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #288 on: April 27, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
I'm glad you at least enjoyed the clean vocals, because I love that guy's voice on that album. :)

So, I remember reading that if there are more than 10 people, which there clearly are, that you might do eliminations.  But I'm not sure where you ended up; did you decide to go that route?  If so, I don't think I need to send for round 2, unless you're doing it in a later round? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: April 27, 2018, 07:11:45 PM »

Damn, that's nice!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »
Well, my song didn't do as well as I had hoped. On to round 2!  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »
I'm glad you at least enjoyed the clean vocals, because I love that guy's voice on that album. :)

So, I remember reading that if there are more than 10 people, which there clearly are, that you might do eliminations.  But I'm not sure where you ended up; did you decide to go that route?  If so, I don't think I need to send for round 2, unless you're doing it in a later round?

I think I said 2 cut after this round and 3 cut after round 4 or something to that effect.  But depending on sunmissions on this round, if i want to keep the low scorers around I might change my mind.

If things are tight i might even run with 12 to the end. Its all still open for negotiation really.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

Damn, that's nice!

It's insane.

Im out for the weekend so hope to have all submissions in by 24 - 30 odd hours.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Wolfking Second Coming Roulette v2. Rd1 Results. Bring on Rd2!!
« Reply #293 on: April 27, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
you already have mine  :metal
i hope it scores well but also if it doesn't i won't be surprised, just disappointed

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »
Second place is a very nice surprise.  But the real treat is rating ahead of Tim.   :biggrin:

Just going thru a quick listen of my 2015 finalists, then gonna check out a few of submissions of my peers.

Lost in Thought has been on-again / off-again ever since this.  They're about 2 years into recording their sophomore album - and have fired/reunited/fired the lead singer (Nate Loosemore).  Who knows when they'll ever release anything... they keep posting some teasers on FB, but as a 'part-time' band, it's not surprising it's taking a long time.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »
Just listened to a few tracks from 'ma boys'.

Damn Kade... you're daft about Syu.  Protip everyone... keep sending foreign guitar virtuoso's and chick vocalists  :biggrin:.  Don't feel bad Paul, I got the same treatment with a guitar-hero last roulette - Ioannis Anastassakis

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:45 PM »
Just listened to a few tracks from 'ma boys'.

Damn Kade... you're daft about Syu.  Protip everyone... keep sending foreign guitar virtuoso's and chick vocalists  :biggrin:.  Don't feel bad Paul, I got the same treatment with a guitar-hero last roulette - Ioannis Anastassakis

Yet Brents won the round. Syu is obviously a great guitarist, I guess I'm just VERY pocky with that style. I wanted to like the Syu more but something was missing for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
Second place is a very nice surprise.  But the real treat is rating ahead of Tim.   :biggrin:

Just going thru a quick listen of my 2015 finalists, then gonna check out a few of submissions of my peers.

Lost in Thought has been on-again / off-again ever since this.  They're about 2 years into recording their sophomore album - and have fired/reunited/fired the lead singer (Nate Loosemore).  Who knows when they'll ever release anything... they keep posting some teasers on FB, but as a 'part-time' band, it's not surprising it's taking a long time.

If they only have one album, I have no excuse not to check it out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2018, 09:59:35 PM »
So I'm going thru the original thread again - almost 2 years old exactly funny enough. Kade, you did a thing around song reveals of "smudging" them"so they were barely legible. That was a cool thing to do. You should do that again if you have the inclination.

Oh, and type faster!

Yeah thats right, I remember the title smudgeing thing that was cool. See what i can do.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #299 on: April 27, 2018, 10:11:47 PM »
Looks like you need to clear your PMs so I can send round 2. :)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
Glad that wasn't a total disaster.

I'll send something in a few hours when I have the chance to listen to a few things again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2018, 12:01:14 AM »
Looks like you need to clear your PMs so I can send round 2. :)

Done mate.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »
Yeah, that's about what I was expecting. The similarity to Fates Warning is really obvious, but it didn't make me enjoy this song less. Surprised that Lost in Thought scored so well, I'd have thought my song would beat it.

I actually just realized my planned song for this round is from a 2016-released album. :lol Gonna find something else then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #303 on: April 28, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »
Hell yes. I was hoping you'd enjoy that Naglfar track. You listed exactly what I love about it, the vocals are just compelling to listen to, and the lyrics are up my alley. It's music to kill people by. :2metal:

Will send tomorrow, hope I didn't use up all my luck already.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #304 on: April 28, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Sent.

I also went through my 2016 list (I haven't done the 2017 or 2018 ones yet) and removed everything with female vocals. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: April 28, 2018, 01:18:34 AM »
i learned the hard way about wolfking's distaste for female vocals last roulette  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2018, 03:35:21 AM »
7.4 isn't bad at all. I would've sent some cool metal with female vocals but I won't :loser: sent something less heavy instead.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2018, 03:51:09 AM »
Sent round 2 via PM
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 28, 2018, 05:09:05 AM »
Surprised that Lost in Thought scored so well, I'd have thought my song would beat it.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #309 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:42 AM »
Nice start :) I pretty much have three to choose from for 2015 and all are very different from each other.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: April 28, 2018, 06:28:57 AM »
Surprised that Lost in Thought scored so well, I'd have thought my song would beat it.

Yeah, same here. I have that album, and I wouldn't have thought to use it. I eliminated a very similar song yesterday from my list for this roulette. I may have to rethink it..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »

Yeah, same here. I have that album, and I wouldn't have thought to use it. I eliminated a very similar song yesterday from my list for this roulette. I may have to rethink it..

That's right boys... you go on challenging our host's musical opinions.  I'm sure it will win favour with him.   :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
Sorry, was at the G3 gig last night so wasn’t around for the initial reactions.

Wow, 3rd from bottom? I’ve just checked out the Anthem track and it’s ok. Still prefer the Syu but each to their own. Not very good at this roulette stuff. Have to step up my game and send some growlies.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »
Kade, I sent some questions to you, check your PMs.

I have three possible entries for these round, but I suspect two of them will turn out to be banned. I guess one album he just forgot to put in his 2015 list, and another band was already sent in the first roulette (not something from the 2015 album though). Waiting for the answer and ready to send any of these three.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:39:22 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.